Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Shub-Niggurath Hair Gloss

The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

(Bringin' it back: I looked up my old (2005!) review of the original Shub-Niggurath before writing this up. Ladies and gentlemen, Shoggoths of all ages: it is the 10th anniversary of Shub!

I'm pleased to report that the ol' black goat is just as spicy, sexy, and swoonworthy as ever, if not more. My Shub HG arrived in a new style of bottle: taller and slimmer than the other HGs I own. Which is great, because now I can cram more in my hair gloss drawer!

I could cut and paste my old review here, as the gloss is a twin of the perfume, but I'll see if my review-writing skills have improved at all. Apologies in advance for the second person POV....)

Shub-Niggurath rushes through the forest, her midnight-black hooves crushing the secret herbs that grow in the shadows. You hold your breath as she passes, fearful of her horns and huge, heaving flanks. In the wake of her passing, you catch the hint of her scent. You thought it would be animalic, heavy and rank.

You thought wrong.

Warm, biting ginger tingles in your nostrils, making you gasp in delight. And as you open your mouth, you take a full, deep breath, drawing her perfumed essence deep into your lungs. The ginger blooms with life inside your body, growing hotter. Spicier. It reminds you of familiar scents--cinnamon, perhaps? But something wilder, nothing so tame as the powdered stuff you sprinkle over buttered toast in the morning. These are not daylight scents. You're bathed in fresh bark, and rushing sap, and oddly shaped leaves, growing fierce and free in ancient, hidden groves of trees. It's a green-gold scent, alive and lit from within like an ember, glowing and growing warmer and warmer...

You aren't certain when you started running, but you're loping through the forest fleet as a deer, that scent on your tongue and steam rising from your skin as the cold air kisses your bare limbs. Laughing, you tilt your head to the sky, getting your bearings from the stars as they wheel through the branches of the trees above. You take another gulping breath of that invigorating, intoxicating, gently radiant heat, and follow its trail into the woods and into the night....

...You wake up in your bed as the sky changes from inky blue-black to the pinkish gray of dawn. You stretch sore muscles, luxuriating in the slight burn of your limbs. As you arch your back, your husband rolls over and sleepily wraps you in his arms. He picks a leaf out of your tangled hair, and then buries his face in the curve of your neck.

"Mmmm," he says, suddenly sounding much more awake. "You smell incredible."

Well, my review won't be as elaborate but here goes!!

In bottle: Yep....that sharp, ginger and incense scent that is Shub-Niggurath.

On damp hair: I used about 4 squirts and rubbed in. It immediately softened up to a warm, ginger-cookie type scent!! So lovely....after a few, the incense starts to come out, but surprisingly, this is not too heavy, scent wise. Much stronger in the bottle than on.

This is a perfect Fall/Winter hair gloss. I am a foody lover and this one isn't too foody for me, but I still really like it. Has a little sexy edge to it as well.

Update: Oh no! Been about half an hour, and this faded pretty fast....but what I now smell is a dry dusty something. Was hoping this would work. Smelled great the first few minutes. Oh well....that's what it's all about, right?

Edited by Numanoid

I'm so sad to report this didn't thrill me :( Shub the perfume is very much sexy gingerbread. Shub the hair gloss smells weird to my nose, almost like the incense has gone bad (does incense go bad? I don't know). It almost smells a little plasticky in my hair as well, and I just can't tolerate the smell :( so sad because I love the perfume!

You're not the only one. I love my Shub oil but the hair gloss did not go well. Maybe it's too concentrated? It really felt astringent wafting around my head that I ended up putting my hair into a bun.

If you've never tried Shub, you should—it's a BPAL classic. It's one of those blends that walks the line right between foody (the ginger and resins smell like some amazing ginger candy at times) and sexy/incensey. If I don't wear it for a while, I miss it and have to find my rollerball so I can give myself a good coating. :)

Shub hair gloss smells wonderful when I apply and for an hour or so afterwards, but then the smell is almost completely gone—which is so odd, because it's so intense right out of the bottle. I wish it lasted longer, but it smells great when I'm drying my hair in the morning and then my hair is smooth and frizz-free all day.

This is an intense molasses and spices scent grounded in sexy resins. It's pretty intense out of the bottle, but subdues into a comforting oatmeal cookie and gingerbread whisper that fades away midday. I really lie this for layering with other spicy food scents, and can see this going into heavy rotation with Pumpkin Patch and Autumn scents next fall. There's something a bit cozy and sleepy in this too.

I've always preferred Gingerbread Poppet perfume over Shub, because Shub has so more of a fresh ginger scent with a fairly strong lemon note that it is very sharp on me, whereas GP is more like warm gingerbread on my skin. But I couldn't pass up a decant of this to go with my GP and the other gingerbread scents I have, and I was really hoping that I wasn't wrong.

Sprayed into my palms from the bottle, this smells exactly like Shub perfume, with that spicy ginger heat with a bit of lemon. But once I run it through my hair, this is not nearly as strong as I would have expected! The scent is there, but it doesn't overpower everything the way I was afraid it might. It is very wearable, because it quickly becomes a more subdued version of the perfume. For me, that's a good thing. The scent in my hair is like Shub Lite, and it will definitely go with and not overpower the foodier gingerbread scents I prefer. As for the gloss elements, they are as perfect as ever. Makes my hair super shiny, soft, and is a product I can't go without.

I don't know what Shub smells like in oil form. If it smells close to the HG version I'm sold.

This is like freshly cut ginger with heavy spices. To me it doesn't smell a thing like gingerbread. It smells like your kitchen would if you have been cutting up ginger, Reminds me more of ginger in the form of tea (with lemon and honey) than any baked good.

It's also pretty strong and I'm wondering if my hair amps ginger or something because when I wear it, it's all I smell all day long. Anytime I move my head I get hit with a wall of ginger.

I am going to get many uses out of my decant this fall.

Edited by Erinofhere

Shub doesn't work for me in the perfume form, but its pretty glorious as a hair gloss. It smells like dark gingerbread on me. Gingerbread and maybe a touch of incense. Toothsome and delicious!