Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
infectedgrl6

Appropriate Scents for Teens?

The name of and reviews for Djinn have gotten me quite interested - but I'm a little worried about the 'smokey smell' people say it has. I'm in secondary school so I don't want anything that suggests cigarette smoke or alchohol, or anything overtly sexual. If anybody would like to recommend a good scent to start off with or make any comments about Djinn, I'd be grateful.

Djinn is pretty heavily smoky, and to me it does have some moments of smelling cigarettey. I like it, though it's outside my usual wheelhouse, but it might be a little strong for school IMO.

As for scents for teens, at that age I was very into berry and red fruit scents; I wasn't into BPAL then (I don't think it existed), but I probably would have liked scents like Bewitched, Akuma, Persephone. I like them now too, but not as much as I would have then. I was also into vanilla and probably would have liked Morocco, O (though some people find it more sexual than I do), that kind of thing. But your mileage may vary. Are there any non-BPAL perfumes you like? It could give a jumping-off point.

I'd recommend Dorian. It's very unisex and well-liked, not smoky at all. Also, I'd check out a bunch from the Mad Tea Party section of the website. Tons of great scents for the younger ones there!

Welcome to the forum and BPAL!

I don't know about Djinn, but generally when I think scents smell "smoky" it's not a cigarette smoke kind of smell, more woodsmoke. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke but love smoky scents. I would second the suggestion for Dorian. Not so sure about Snake Oil, a lot of people find it really sensual or sexual. Otherwise, my taste in scents tends to be pretty dark so I'm going to leave the suggestions to people better acquainted with the lighter side of BPAL. :)

I have to agree with Morocco and Dorian! I would also recommend Bon vivant (strawberry) and tombstone (delicious, sounds strange but it kind of smells of root beer to me).

Definitely Morocco, Dorian and Snake Oil. I also like Bewitched a ton and I think it's good for teenagers but still good for us adults. You may also want to look into Aeval, Fae, La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente. (:

Aeval is gorgeous sweet pea and a teeny drop of sage. Fae smells like peach cobbler to my nose and La Bella Donna smells like pomegranate juice, rose and a bit of ocean but not salty. Oh and if you're fond of apple then try Poisoned Apple because it's soooo wonderful.

Edited by Haltija

Dorian and Morocco would also be my first thoughts. But maybe also try something like the Red Queen (for a dark fruit and wood combo), Dana O'Shee, or Chimera (a bit spicy).

It just depends on what you personally like.

Tombstone is really pretty (and a little rootbeer-y), Embalming Fluid is a very light, clean smell (if you've ever smelled Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea it's very similar), Kumiho is light and clean as well. Aglaea is a beautiful peach smell, Delirium (rose, apple, and lemon) is nice, too. For age appropriate resins and woods, I might recommend The Lion, Tweedledum (there's almost something bubblegumlike about this to me, I love it), or maybe Intrigue if you don't mind a hint of coconut smell.

Detestable Putrescense maybe.......described as Melty vanilla ice cream. It is very soft vanilla and very nice. Not overly sweet or cloying. :)

The name of and reviews for Djinn have gotten me quite interested - but I'm a little worried about the 'smokey smell' people say it has. I'm in secondary school so I don't want anything that suggests cigarette smoke or alchohol, or anything overtly sexual. If anybody would like to recommend a good scent to start off with or make any comments about Djinn, I'd be grateful.

If you're attracted to the smokiness of Djinn but want to go easy on how heavy that gets, you could try some blends where it's present but not playing first fiddle. Some ideas I had were:

(Not So) Penitent (Mini) Magdalene: Candle wax, smoke, red sandalwood, a dusting of kitchen spices, and a dribble of vanilla ice cream.

Liz: A light, feminine vanilla floral perfume and a swirl of smoke and leather.

October: Dry, cold autumn wind. A rustle of red leaves, a touch of smoke and sap in the air.

Sissy, the Ascendant: Sassafras and smoke for black vulture feathers, and King mandarin and red musk for the deep red-orange of the vulture's face. Blue lilac and chamomile / opoponax and vetiver for the blue and black of her eyes. Vanilla bean and fig represent her innate goodness and instinctive kindness.

The Lights of Men's Lives: The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death’s shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering.

Kyoto, Shanghai, and Pele are floral scents that I think would be lovely for school--they're light and unobtrusive, which might be useful when you're crammed in with a bunch of people, like I was in school!

In high school I myself often wore Sudha Segara, which is a creamy honey-ginger. It's more "foody" than the other floral scents I've recommended. Oooh, and on me at least, Bengal smells like a fresh cinnamon roll! :D

For scents that convey a smoke scent *without* being cigarette smoke, maybe try Hanerot Halalu ("Olive oil, beeswax, and smoke") or the aforementioned Light's of Men's Lives. Both of them are beeswaxy smoke--a sweet, honeyed smoke that doesn't suggest cigarettes or anything illicit at all. :P

Edited by non_boingy

My feeling about Djinn is that it is more fire than smoke. In any case, it doesn't smell like tobacco. If you are willing to risk the four dollars, get the imp and try it out. wear it on the weekend if it is too smokey for class.

The scent that makes me think of high school is How Doth The Little Crocodile. It has Chocolate, mint and oakmoss, which smells just like my backpack full of pencils, certs mints, and often a chocolate drop or two.

I tried to post a reply, with quotes, but maybe there's a limit to how long replies can be or how many quotes you can use (I used at least six!) because both times I've tried it didn't work.

Anyway... I think I'll be ordering Imps of Morocco/Dorian and I might try Snake Oil because it seems to be recommended by everyone everywhere.

Interesting how many people are recommending scents that remind them of food (do you eat teenagers here?! I'm kidding, I'll be sure to look at more 'edible'-sounding scents seeing as lots of people seem to think they are the best ones).

Thanks Andyl and non_boingy for your ideas. I don't know why I like the idea of smoke/fire scents but those all sound like good possibilities.

My feeling about Djinn is that it is more fire than smoke. In any case, it doesn't smell like tobacco. If you are willing to risk the four dollars, get the imp and try it out. wear it on the weekend if it is too smokey for class.

The scent that makes me think of high school is How Doth The Little Crocodile. It has Chocolate, mint and oakmoss, which smells just like my backpack full of pencils, certs mints, and often a chocolate drop or two.

That's also the impression I got of Djinn from reviews, but I thought it better to check.

If you want another good smoke/fire scent to try I suggest:

Cicuta- Dry, dusty rose petals, candle smoke, frankincense, and saffron. (it was the first bottle I ever bought and 3 years later it is still just as gorgeous)

Edited by Haltija

The cigarette thing may just be a quirk of vetiver on me. :) Now that you mention it, yeah, it's worth at least trying the imp.

I tried to post a reply, with quotes, but maybe there's a limit to how long replies can be or how many quotes you can use (I used at least six!) because both times I've tried it didn't work.

Anyway... I think I'll be ordering Imps of Morocco/Dorian and I might try Snake Oil because it seems to be recommended by everyone everywhere.

Interesting how many people are recommending scents that remind them of food (do you eat teenagers here?! I'm kidding, I'll be sure to look at more 'edible'-sounding scents seeing as lots of people seem to think they are the best ones).

Thanks Andyl and non_boingy for your ideas. I don't know why I like the idea of smoke/fire scents but those all sound like good possibilities.

That's also the impression I got of Djinn from reviews, but I thought it better to check.

Teenagers...taste just like chicken...

Seriously though, perfume is so subjective. I know you don't want to run around in a cloud of perfume at your age, but some people amp up certain fragrance elements. I tend to turn everything very sugar sweet. That's just my body chemistry. It's also what smells good to you, that's another thing that is totally personal. My youngest daughter loves the smell of coffee, so I have bought her a few coffee scented things. She does not drink coffee however, go figure. And THEN you have to think about other people, which is why you might want something on the lighter side. You can save the heavier stronger smelling stuff for non school days. If I have to go to my kid's school I tend to avoid patchouli, I don't want to overwhelm.

If you would like, I can send you some imps, I have many many many of them. I may be able to find things that you want to try. If so send me a PM.

Edited by stellamaris

When I was in high school and found bpal it could occasionally be a balancing act between work and school. A few of my personal favorites that work well around most people that I remember offhand are Titania, Sea of Glass, Elegba, and Love-In-Idleness and Sassafras Streghthener or whatever it is called. I'd also like to second Boo, and basically anything inspired by Alice in Wonderland.

Sign in to follow this