Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Dormouse

A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

I received this (and many, many others) as a gift from the awesome dawndie. I had initially smelled this before in a bottle of my roommate's and I remember I didn't like it much then. However, I have noticed that most scents in the bottle tend to make my nose crinkle with distaste, so application is really the only way I can truly review a scent.

Anyway...

In the imp: Light, crisp, vaguely floral (I'm guessing that's the peony). Lovely and light.

Wet: Although I'm a floral amper, this one stays mostly tea on me on inital application.

Drydown: Ah, there's the floral. This is a lovely "green" scent, but it's a light lemony-green, the colour of just-about-to-ripen lemons. The peony gives it a little bit of sweetness to the dry tea scent.

Throw is fairly light. I quite like this, although it has none of the usual notes I reach for. This may in fact be better suited to my mother than me. (I raised my wrist to have her smell Alice and she went, "Ugh, too sweet for summer.") I may gift her with The Dormouse and Kumiho.

Well, that was interesting.....

In bottle: I get the scent of white tea and melons, with a hint of citrus.

Wet: I love this scent all melony freshness and white tea.

Dry: I get a very faint scent of melons and white tea.

It's a very pleasent blend and I think it will be put on my list to buy.

In the imp: Crisp, clean citrus with white tea holding it up in the background.

Wet: The tea really starts shining through immediately and a melon note has overtaken the citrus.

Dry: Subtle and pretty but not really my style. Citrus notes just don't seem to work on me in oil form like they do in mainstream perfume form.

Wet: Lush peony overwhelms everything else.

Dry: Smells fresh.

Finish: No change from drydown.

Duration: Went faint on my skin fairly quickly, but stayed on my cuffs wafting for a few hours. Probably a good choice for a scent locket.

The scent of peony tea, sweetened with sugar, not honey. A very bright, warm, comforting scent. Clean, refreshing, but not aquatic. It's a rich, pinkish-red scent. I'm actually having trouble explaining this properly, lol I feel like it's more complicated, more delicate than I've implied, but I can't find more words to put to The Dormouse.

In the imp: Light, fresh, clean & sort of floral & herby.

Wet on skin: Ooh tea! It's sort of like a citrusy herbal tea smell.

Dry on skin: Still a sort of lemon herbal tea which is strange as no lemon is in the listing.. perhaps it's just the 'light herbs'. Can also smell a floral background to it.

Overall: Light & pleasant but not my 'cup of tea' :P . May use the imp up for one of those days I feel like smelling light & fresh but otherwise I might pass it on the someone else.

Damn iiiiiiiiiitttt! I am having absolutely NO luck with Mad Tea Party blends.

This SO should have been a winner on me. It starts out brilliantly - big tea love. Gorgeous, fresh and citrusy.

"Ah, this is a must-have tea blend!" I thought.

Drying down, the tea started to step back and the peony (previously absent) rises up. It's nice enough, but SOMETHING in here isn't liking my skin. I'm getting that odd icky sunscreen smell of something not going right on me. What that is I have no idea - I can only guess that there's some herb that my skin doesn't like, or certain florals will do this on me.

Said icky sunscreen smell backs off again and I get a whiff of tea and peony once more - but it's still there underneath, and it just ruins this blend for me.

:P I wanted to like you, Dormouse!

This scent is so lickable! It smells like white tea with fruity and floral notes. It’s very clean and crisp, but not in a clean laundry sort of way.

After a while it still smells just like it did when I first put it on. It basically smells the way fruity white tea tastes. Crisp, juicy, and refreshing!

in the vial: white flowers, apple lemon

skin: mmmmm.

on me: pepper with a soft touch of lemon zest and a sugary fruit torte.

In the bottle, it smells just like Kumiho, but sweet rather than sharp. When I wear it it mellows out and becomes sweeter - I'm not sure if it's peony or not I'm getting. I like it. I'll definitely keep it.

I think me and peony get on very well indeed. :P I can definitely smell a slight similarity to Budding Moon, although this is a lighter, more daytime scent, whereas I tend to wear Budding Moon either to my yoga class or when I go to bed.

This is lovely. Very light and floral without being overly sweet. I'm not sure how long it will last. I will test again but may well buy a 5ml of this. So far I've liked all the Tea Party oils I've tried! And I think I'll be on a mission to test as many blends containing peony as I can. It really likes me.

IMP: very fresh and clean and green, reminds me a lot of Calyx

WET: mmmmmm, tea and citrus with herbal undertones. Very nice!

DRY: Whoa, where'd the tea go? I had tea with lemon for all of about 90 seconds, and now it's just a perfumey green floral. Dang, for a couple minutes there it was soooo perfect. Who knew peony could be such a thug? :P

In the imp: A very light, fresh, scent. Uh-oh. I detect aquatic. There's something that's very gently fruity, then some kind of sweet flower behind it.

On the wrist: Um. It's very nice air freshener? Sweet and fruity and flowery. I can't detect any tea at all, though the 'fruity' scent is turning more 'herbal' on the wrist. The flower is gentle, not oversweet, and rather nice. Nevertheless, the aquatic...

One hour later: Has gone very faint. Still faintly airfreshenery, but less so than most aquatics go on my skin. A little herbal, a little sweet from the peony. Not actually bad, but it doesn't last.

... Huh. Smells exactly like it should - except somehow my brain reads "peony" as "apple". Tart, herbal apple tea, which some folks would hit in a heartbeat, but I am just "meh" on it. A bit too much on the sour side for me.

How I WISH I'd bought this sooner! It's like a light aquatic floral, very cooling and refreshing. It would have been perfect for the really hot days this summer. The Dormouse is a soft, understated and almost CUTE little blend. It's quite feminine and gentle and, well, mouselike! This scent is like sipping cool tea in the shade of a leafy green tree on a hot summer day. Really lovely.

If you like this, definitely try Cheshire Cat, 51, and The Unicorn.

In the imp: Tea with a touch of floral. Reminds me a lot of White Rabbit - which is a good thing.

Wet: Mainly tea with some herbs and a little floral that must be peony (it's a new one for me). Light and fresh, and very nice indeed.

Drydown: The peony is becoming stronger, but isn't overpowering the tea at all. There's a slight citrus note too, as if one of the teas is Earl Grey.

Dry: This has barely changed at all, and is exactly as the description says - tea, herbs and peony, with the tea by far the dominant note. It has a little throw and average last.

I really like this a lot but I don't know if I will get a bottle, as on me this is rather similiar to White Rabbit except softer and a little less sweet and a little more floral. I have a bottle of the Rabbit and I don't know that I need both. However the imp is a keeper, and I'll add peony to the list of florals that bear investigating further.

In the bottle - bright, conflicted, dizzy in a small and quiet way, like when you're drunk at a party but trying to stay inconspicuous. Pretty, heady but sunny. The brightness of tea and herbs almost makes me think of ginger. The character of the floral in it reminds me and makes me wonder if there isn't some peony in Dirty.

Dry on me - just a whisper of scent, soft and light and pretty. Very feminine without going to "perfumy." After ~1hr, it's faded to a whisper of heady floral with practically no throw, like your little secret.

Conclusions - Lovely, but not something I'd wear often.

Dormouse was a heartbreaker for me. In the imp it was bright and lovely tea (not at all black tea - I'm a fan of black tea but some people find the scent bitter) and a fresh scent like pure spring rain. Once it dried on me though, it was hotel soap. :P

imp: very crisp, snappy green scent.

wet: this is a bright, green aquatic. this is what tea scents always smell like to me, not like tea at all, but like the idea of tea.

dry: faint florals with the fading aquatic note. this is a very clean scent, perfect for early spring when everything is touched by light rain and soft sunlight.

In the Imp (wet): I smell florals rather than the tea. How strange.

On facial cotton (dry): The green tea is more predominant and there's almost a creamy sweetness.

On me: Tea tea tea! Black tea, jasmine tea, green tea. On the dry down, I amp the herbs, but it's much lighter than the Unicorn. And the peony softens the scent as well. This scent really does conjure up a tiny furry dormouse, curled up on a bed of sweet dry hay in sweet slumber.

In the imp and wet...apparently peony = SOAPY DEATH on my skin-slash-to my nose. I did not know this, as I don't think I've tried peony before.

Okay, whoo, this calmed down a little as it dried on my skin. And...apparently it smells like fruit on me. I'm getting a little bit more of the tea (definitely smelling bergamot, so one of the teas is probably Earl Grey! :P)

And...then it evaporates into a light soapiness with a little bit of sweet floral. D: I wish I was getting what everyone else seems to be getting. I like light florals, and I can even handle/appreciate a little soapiness, but I have other things for that - and I wanted more tea, dammit!

Out of bottle:

The teas and peonies balance so well. Peonies smell so wonderful. It was so refreshing and invigorating. I really love this!

On Skin wet:

Peonies are in full bloom with the hint of teas. The teas are the after scent. Mmmm. My nose is attached to my wrist. That's how much I love it. I detect the sugar a little bit. Such a lovely combo of scent.

Dry down:

The peonies have settled down and the teas are coming to the forefront balancing the scent again. I can also detect a bit of sweetness. I love how the peonies receded and allowed the teas to emerge. Damn, this one is the best of the bunch so far. So delicate and feminine but also so unique! Squee!!!

Overall Thoughts:

Soo happy I got the 5ml. I really love this scent over all the other ones I have. It beats out Antique Lace and Antique Lace is gorgeous. I'm freaking happy I went out on a limb and bought a large bottle of this!

Verdict: So HAPPY with the 5ml

I had recieved this as a frimp from the lab, and it's something I *never* would have bought on my own. Not because of any of the notes in it, but because it has *mouse* in the name. I'm utterly terrified of rodents, so the thought of wearing something with a rodent-y name is just *shiver*. However, apparently the amazing people at the lab know me and my chemistry better then I did (I mean, I'd never ordered anything before, no had I posted on the board). This scent while faint, is just heavenly. I can't identify notes and stuff, it just really, really works with me and my nose. I ordered a bottle of this 2 days after getting my first order. It smells better on me then any of the imps I'd bought!

In the imp, I get tea and a breath of peony.

On my skin, the herbs come out, but they're very subtle - this is a light, very float-y scent.

When dry, it's very well-blended, very light, very clean - but almost undetectable after 30 mins. :P

I got excited about this one -- four teas, that has to be very tea-y, right? Nope. I can smell the tea, which is a positive, for sure, but I smell lemon and peony over it, enough that it's hiding the tea. It smells like tea with a lot of lemon in it, sitting next to a bouquet of peonies. Still not enough tea for me.