Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Dormouse

A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

A mix of teas and very light florals. This is a dreamy blend that's at once fresh and soothing, I wish I knew how to scent dryer sheets, I'd have my laundry smell like this every single day. It has almost no lasting power on me, but I wish it did.

dormouse.jpg

This is one scent that had me scurrying to my wishlist because I wanted to get some right away. It is gorgeous. Very lemony with just a small becoming hint of peony. It is small, like a mouse, but so pretty that I think it will do well in a scent locket.

I don't know why I didn't try this one before, I am sorry I didn't know about it earlier. So perfect for hot hot summer days and having to deal with loud people, The Dormouse is restful and refreshing.

I highly recommend this blend. Perfectly summery and perfectly ladylike.

was gifted with a sniffie due to my slight Wonderland obsession.

lemon. all i get is lemon. like a lemon lollipop or a lemon Jolly Rancher.

just lemon. no tea, no flowers... nothing.

a lovely scent for lemon-people.

i, however, am not. and this is much to bitter and cold for me. just sniffing the side of my thumb where the oil got on it opening the imp (and the reason for my review -- since all i'd intended to do was sniff) makes me uncomfortable.

the lemon from Dorian... that's what this is to me, but all by its lonesome.

In the imp: mm, peony and tea. Like a fizzy-to-my-nose Peony Moon.

On me, wet: still sweet, light peony and a gentle but sharp hint of tea behind it. I'm not getting much herbiness at all, but it's still very nice indeed.

On me, dry: hmm, there's something a little powdery creeping out - the herbs, maybe? - but this mostly makes me think of Peony Moon layered with Emblaming Fluid. Which is a good thing.

Verdict: the BPAL peony note appears to be guaranteed to make me happy - this is a lovely scent. This is what I'll be buying to replace Peony Moon when I manage to finish the two bottles of it I have.

First impression is rose and tea, it's lovely and light, upliftingly floral. If the peony doesn't go soapy on me, and manages to last a respectable time, this could be very nice indeed. Lovely for the summer. 4 hours later and it's still detectable on my wrist from 2 inches away and is somehow hovering on the line betweeen peony and soap, the tea has pretty much gone.

This is one of the first bottle of BPAL that I ever got, and because I wasn't too smart back then, I ordered it unsniffed. Fortunately, I totally loved it, and still do. This blend is predominately tea on me, mixed with a bit of Peony. Surprisingly enough, this peony does not give me a headache (Peony Moon gave me a severe headache!), and the fragrance lasts for a few hours before disappearing. That is not bad for a tea blend, since my skin tends to like ot soak them up.

Oh! What a pleasant surprise!

I received this as an imp and was quite surprised that I actually liked it. I'm really picky when it comes to florals, but that hint of lemony...ness makes this very refreshing. It's similar to enbalming fluid, but with a slightly sharper citrus air to it.

The problem is that I love it when I first put it on, but after wearing it for a short while, it fades into soft, non-descript blah on me. I've been wearing it in my scent locket for the last 2 days and I really enjoy it because it doesn't lose the lemony note. Wonderfully fresh and clean without being too sacrine!

On application The Dormouse has the same bright lemon-tea sparkliness that makes Shanghai such a good summer scent. Unfortunately the tea and lemon accord dries down into a floral soap within an hour which is a real shame - I assume this is the peony coming out. This is my first experience with peony in an oil and it doesn't suit me.

Off to swaps you sleepy little rodent!

Dormouse, in the imp, is a crisp, sparkling scent. There is absolutely nothing "muddy" about it, as far as my nose is concerned! Once it's on my body, it begins as tea with a bit of green behind it. Upon drydown, and for about 2 hours thereafter, it reminds me of a crisp tea blend that includes both black, green and herbal tea smells. It's still very crisp, very clean, pleasantly sharp and distinct. The longer it wears on my body, the more the tea aromas dissapate, and after about 3 hours, what lingers is predominatly peony with a green, herbal background. How interesting -- on my body, the tea components overpower the peony, but once they burn off, the peony is still there! And while it's a sweet, floral scent, it's not overwhelming or cloying and the herbs help give it a bit of a bite. To me, this begins as the ultimate clean scent that eventually morphs into a clean floral scent that's very feminine and soft.

This is a very gentle, quiet scent. The tea and herbal notes dominated at first. Eventually the peony comes out and takes over. Not a lot of staying power, but nice. I don't think I'm very fond of peony, but I was very fond of everything up til that point.

The Dormouse-

In Bottle: Oh, so pretty. Lightly aquatic and mild-citrusy.

Wet: Once again, lightly lime-citrusy. Very soft and pretty, like the lightest of florals.

Dry: A pretty light scent; not a lot of staying power, but I want to use it again when I want just a hint of scent.

Overall: Conditionally like.

All clean, fresh lemon. Smells like a mildly strong lemon detergent.

Not the usual 'bad' lemon I get from most lemon BPAL scents (like a cough drop menthol lemon.. yech). There is a sweetness and mildness to it that I can't quite place. Maybe the tea and milk?

2.5/5

Edited by ancilla

i adore the doormouse.

generally i prefer sweet and foody scents, so others really have to impress me, and the doormouse does not fail.

it is an extremely clean, pleasant scent. the floral is very light and no one note seems to overpower any others. each note compliments the other and masks with their strengths any unpleasant aspects one might bring. my skin gets along very well with the doormouse.

In the Imp: A sharp lemony green scent. I don't get the impression of tea at all, just a green citrus.

Initial Wet: I swear there's grapefruit in this, because it really smells like grapefruit and lemongrass to me. Still no real tea impression (unless you count the lemongrass).

Initial Dry: Okay, now I guess it smells like tea, but an herbal tea not the blacks and Earl Greys I like drinking. It's a very fresh, clean scent that reminds me of early spring and spring cleaning time. The floral is very light and adds just a touch of sweetness to the mix.

Drier Dry: Whoops, gone! It was so good my skin ate it all up! There's very little impression left, even when I stick my nose right down to my wrist.

I definitely like this, but it doesn't last very long on me. I'll be keeping an imp around for a nice pick-me-up.

Tea and peonies!!! It's so pretty and light! I'm going to give an imp to my mother because it has tea!! But I am also going to keep an imp for myself.

In the imp: light floral with tea, pretty much as the Lab description reads.

Initial application: the peonies overtake the tea, leaving this a gentle, clean feminine scent.

Drydown: not much as changed so far, very pretty with a surprisingly strong throw. Not quite as lovely as Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, but up there amongst the best of the Tea Party scents I've tried so far.

Smiley rating: :P

In the imp: I get minimal to no tea off this, but a slightly citrusy sweet floral instead.

Initial Application: Very clean, slightly sweet smelling. There's a citrus undertone here, which I'm wondering if one of the four teas is citrus based? Not overpowering, but it's just sharp enough to undercut the sweetness of the floral.

10 minutes later: Very soft, but not faded. Perhaps a smidge more of tea coming out, but it keeps vascillating between fresh/sharp and floral/sweet. Very interesting.

1 hour later: Hmmmmm.....the interesting switch between the sharp and the floral seems to have died down, and now it's a tiny tiny bit more floral than sharp. I still like it alot, but not sure if I'm getting a full 5 ml or not.

Oooo! I like this. I smell the tea. So far, in 2 years of BPAL, this is the "truest" tea scent I've come across. It's a light floral. It's hard to explain, I'm not a floral girl - but I really like this.

:P Wow.

I figured this one would be soft and demure - boy was I wrong! I opened lil Dormouse, and he made a very in-your-face appearance. I smell peonies strongly, but there is also a powerful lime here. I didn't catch any tea at all. I worked up the nerve to try out this firecracker and it stayed that strong on my skin. The tiniest little test droplet lasted all day - I had to shower it off the next morning! I our wee Dormouse has a pretty flamboyant throw, too.

Not particularly my style, but it made a hell of an impression. Recommended.

The Labbies scare me at times with how psychic they are is when tossing out frimps. This was a frimp in my latest order - and like they so often are, it's something I'd never have tried on my own but I LOVE. Very pretty, all tea and peony, with the same lemon from Dorian in there too. I got no lemon from the former, but it's just enough to pretty up the latter. This is truly lovely and probably my favorite Mad Tea Party scent so far - this knocked Red Queen out of its place. :P

I'm not quite sure why, but this is pure lemon dish soap on my skin. Doesn't work at all! I had high hopes for it with the teas and herbs, but alas, off to the swap pile with it.

The Doormouse

In the Bottle: Lemons and Tea, it reminds me a lot of Embalming Fluid only more heady

Wet: The tea really comes out but I'm unable to smell the floral, that sharp lemon scent however is gone as soon as it hits my skin

Drydown: wonderful, a lasting but not overpowering scent, the floral has come out a bit more. It really reminds be of a nice cup of tea. A new personal favorite.

In the vial:

peony

On me:

Goes on like very strong peony. A bright, strong, pink floral that always seems airy to me. There starts to be a definite "green" quality around the edges of this scent, which I imagine must be the "herbs". It could be green tea though, as sometimes green tea and green herbs can smell similar to me.

And...that's about it with this one. Aside from this probably being green tea that I smell, I don't get other teas. It's mostly peony with that fresh green quality.

Final note:

If you like Peony moon, you'll like this. The two are extremely similar on me. The Dormouse has a more green tea vibe to it, but it's still mostly peony.