Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Dormouse

A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

This starts off a very sweet floral, and as it dries I get a sweet apple/green tea scent. It smells kind of like liquid hand soap. A pretty hand soap, but still hand soap. Overall, it's a bit too sweet for me, but I might try this again later to see if it grows on me.

Wet on skin: strong herbal tea and dish soap

Drydown: The soapiness starts to fade and begins to smells like sweetened green tea

Dry on skin: I smell like a dryer sheet!

Verdict: Soft and fresh but not long lasting on my skin. I think I will try this in an oil burner as it would make a lovely home fragrance.

Edited by Leah703

Out of the vial: I'm mainly getting a vaguely orangey smell (must be the teas) and I think I can recognize Peony hiding in the background.

Upon application: There comes Peony to the forefront now, with the citrus following shortly behind. A very bright, clean scent but not perfumey or sharp. Medium throw. If this scent were a color it would start out pink swirled with yellow and then morph into a sort of violet as the citrusy teas back down and it gets a bit more sweetish. Someone's put jam on the Dormouse's nose and he's gone back to sleep.

Not how sure I fond I am of the drydown (it does get rather sweet) but I'll keep the little Dormouse around for at least one more cup of tea.

The dormouse is a perfect light balance of peony and freshly brewed tea, offset gently with a hint of citrus.

It makes me feel like a lady who is getting ready to go to English Tea, in a lovely 50s wasp-waist style dress, gloves, and a large hat. I feel like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

The scent is very feminine to me, kind of young lady without being very sweet.

The only drawback on me is that it fades within 3 hours. But those 3 hours are wonderful!

Wet: green tea and white tea. :eek: I was hoping for more black and red tea, as green and white are not my friends.

Drydown: green herbal tea. Didn't even get a touch of peony. Oh well.

After loving Dorian so much, I have been on the search for more wonderful tea scents.

In the imp, the Dormouse smells more flowery than I expected, and a little like roses. Roses are not my friends, so I'll see where this ends up going. On my skin, it stays very floral and rosy from the peony note. The peony/rose smell remains strong all through the drydown. I wish I had gotten more tea and less peony.

In the bottle: herbs and a little bit of lemon, maybe even a little bit of anise.

On my skin: more herbs and floral now, like a field drenched in sunlight. in the back of my throat I taste anise whenever I breathe it in deeply, which is refreshing but a bit weird. fades to a subtle & soft peony mixed with light herbs.

Last thoughts: it smells like spring, sweet and pleasant. seems like it would be good for hot summers, as it's so charmingly fresh & light.

Edited by frecklestars

I got this as a Frimp on my order that arrived yesterday, and I loved it so much that I had to try it out before even any of the ones I paid for!

In the imp: Fresh, bright, somewhat citrus-y tea.

Wet: TEA. Reminiscent of the tea note that I adore so much in White Rabbit, but richer.

Dry: The peony takes hold over the tea, but it's a light breezy floral not a thick oppressing one in the least. It hovers over the tea like a blooming centerpiece of peonies in the middle of a table set for teatime.

Overall, this is sweet (in nature, not in scent), gentle and fresh. I'm really pleased with The Dormouse and it might be used often through the spring and summer!

No matter how hard I sniff, I can't find tea in the Dormouse, but instead get thick, detergenty lemon, peonies and ozonic notes, which soften up on the skin after a few minutes. It's pretty, a touch soapy, and wears really well in the sun. It reminds me of Ralph Lauren Polo Sport and the Clean scents - Clean Fresh Laundry, perhaps. I'm enjoying my imp a good deal, and may opt for a full bottle.

3.3/5

Edited by girlcalledmoment

I love The Dormouse. It's peony and tea, and perfect for spring.

I love this scent! I ordered this to round out an order of imps and am very glad I chose this one.

In the imp: A very lovely green scent with a deliciously sharp lemony note

Wet: I adore tea scents and this is no different. I can pick out a nice green tea as well as a lovely earl grey-like scent. Then the peony comes out, working beautifully with the teas. I can't smell any of the herbs though. Lovely, absolutely lovely. Nice and light, very feminine. Perfect for warmer weather.

Dry: Oh too bad, it fades so fast. I can smell a hint of the peony and green tea. Not a whole lot of throw either. To really smell it you need to have your nose pressed against the skin. And since my life does not entail a whole lot of people sniffing me, it really doesn't merit buying a whole bottle. However, while it lasts The Dormouse is a lovely scent that instantly brightens my mood.

Final: I adore this scent but it just doesn't last long enough on my skin. I wonder if I could make this into a room scent, it might last longer...

Sharp and herbal, I am beginning to think anything herbal is just not going to work on me. Or should I say anything that claims to have herbs in. This does not but smells like it should. I just love the idea of this, and am pretty sad how it doesn't smell the way others seem to think it does :(

OMG I'm in love. I smell jasmine tea it's so light and fresh. Definitely a summer or spring scent. I'm going to need a bottle of this soon because I'm going to finish this imp in a week!

In the imp: iced sweet tea and grass

Wet on me: fresh cut grass, something lemony. The whole blend is very faint but enticing.

Dry: This has stayed very light and very little throw. It's grassy more than herbal, with a little sweet lemon tea. I can't detect the peony, but it may be what is bringing a fresh and clean scent. It smells like a very nice herbal shampoo in the best way. In fact, it reminds me of the Herbal Essence shampoo of my youth, in the faceted bottle with the drawing of a girl with long hair strewn with flowers. Needs major slathering, but can't stop sniffing it. Though faint, it lasted a long time.

My husband likes it best so far of the oils I've tried, and oldest son says it smells like clean laundry. Would be major keeper if stronger. Will try slathering.

Grapefruit isn't listed as a note, but this has a citrus zest that makes me think of grapefruit. There's also a light green tea note, something green and a bit of soapy floral. It's really pretty and fresh once it's dried, there is no soapiness which makes me very happy because I love the citrus/tea notes.

Grapefruit isn't listed as a note, but this has a citrus zest that makes me think of grapefruit. There's also a light green tea note, something green and a bit of soapy floral. It's really pretty and fresh once it's dried, there is no soapiness which makes me very happy because I love the citrus/tea notes.

Tea? Where? Hm, Hatter and Hare must have drank it all! And the poor little Dormouse is left with only roses and apples.

In the bottle: Flowers! A big, bursting, multicolored bouquet of flowers!

On, wet: The other flowers fade, leaving behind a rainbow of roses, interspersed with fresh Granny Smith apple slices!

On, dry: Slightly laundry-ish, Dormouse stays mostly the same on drydown.

Wet to dry this one doesn't morph. But it is a very sweet, very green scent to me. Unfortunately, it really reminds me of the Carpet Fresh powder my mom used to use when I was in high school - it was the one in a green canister. Dormouse is nice but I just can't get Carpet Fresh out of my head.

I adore this smell! This smells ridiculously good to me–-fresh and green-appley and tea-leafy, with light floral notes that come out more in the drydown but don't overpower the green, leafy tea notes. Cut grass, green tea, apples, with the peony adding a sweet, light flowery underpinning.

In the vial: Sharp, slightly astringent herbal—or perhaps tea, which isn't a note I'm good at recognizing for itself.

On me: The Dormouse is a full of notes I don't recognize and therefore find hard to describe—so bear with me. If someone told me this was tea, herbs, and peony, I'd believe them; what I get is a clean herbal scent that's not fresh or crisp, nor powdery or dry—it's more like a tincture. Magikfanfic wrote, "The tea and the herbs combine effortlessly to form a very light green/light brown scent, the way I picture of cup of herbal tea after having been brewed," which is a better description than I can come up with, save that the color is a bit more intense to my nose. There's a citric sharpness in the background, and a bit of floral body and sweetness up front. The overall scent is surprisingly familiar, but that may just be because my roommate wears it. Post-drydown it settles to a low throw, but isn't shy at skin-level. Not sure about wear length, as I plan to wash this off.

Verdict: This isn't at all a scent for me because tea just isn't my thing, but it's fine on someone else. It holds a pleasant balance between being likable and retaining a unique personality, and it's a scent I easily and immediately recognize after just one test. I just don't need any.

In the imp: Clear, almost colorless oil - maybe with the faintest tinge of green? Smells just like the description: tea, herbs, and flowers.

On me, wet: The herbs and peony are strongest. There's just a hint of lemon, too. I'm not getting a definitive tea scent, more like just a bit of green bitterness that would be closest to green tea.

On my, drydown: The herbs and tea vanish pretty quickly, leaving behind almost a single-note peony. It does evoke dryer sheets, but nice floral-scented ones that are quite pleasant. This scent is light and not as long-lasting as some. It would be great in a scent locket.

Verdict: It's not the Holy Grail of an authentic black tea scent for which I quest, but it is a lovely scent that I will enjoy wearing.

My rating: 4

Sniffed: Mellow teas touched with floral sweetness.

On skin: The Dormouse is the paragon of a black tea blend -- smooth, watery and mellow, simultaneously deep and clear. The teas are the star of the show, but they are touched with a particular, "pink-coloured" floral sweetness that I'm recognizing as peony. A lovely, light and calm scent, so elegant in its simplicity. Colour impression is a melding of brown and green teas.

Verdict: Simple yet so pretty. The Dormouse is the best example of BPAL's tea notes, and I think I'll hang on to my imp.

This is very nice, light and green.

I don't get much (or any) tea, just green flower stems and leaves, bit like in a flower shop. :)

Oh, dear. I love peonies, herbs, and tea, but... this fragrance did not go well for me.

I could hardly smell it at all on my skin, and what little I could smell was nothing but powder and bitterness. Alas, The Dormouse hates me. :cry2:

Preconceived notions: I got this because of the tea note. I’m hoping it’ll work for everyday.

In the imp: Oooh. Green herbs and tea.

Wet: This is sweet, herbed tea with wisps of very pretty pink floral, bright and utterly lovely.

Drydown: This stays the same all day. It’s cheery and happy, but fortunately never becomes overly girly. A real pick-me-up scent. I rather love this, and it's going on the bottle list.