Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

John Watson

Tweed and crisp linen, lime-tinged aftershave, the sleek steel and oil of a well-cared for service revolver, and a memory's echo of a Jezail bullet shell.

In the imp: Something in this is reminding me of something, but I can't pinpoint what it is!

Ah, I think it shares a note with Zip Line. Maybe there is brown leather involved. But I also detect a hint of cinnamon. Maybe that's what reminds me of it. I'm also getting lots of lime aftershave.

Wet: Same. It's very reminiscent of Zip Line on me, minus the full-on cinnamon buns, of course, and with the addition of lime aftershave and a metallic tinge that tends to come out more the longer this sits on my skin.

Dry: It's still really reminiscent of Zip Line (minus the sticky cinnamon buns) on me with the addition of a cologne-y metallic note. The lime aftershave has dissipated. There's also a hint of spice.

Verdict: I only used a dab of this, but it's really strong and starting to give me a headache, even though I don't mind the scent itself. It's like a more masculine Zip Line without the foody component on me.

Watson is a fastidiously clean scent. It's very much a clean linen scent, but not like laundry. It's more like something that was specially cleaned and prepped and is being worn by a gent with musky lime aftershave. There is a slickness that reminds me of metal, but it doesn't read as "metallic" to my nose if that makes any sense. Even though it leans traditionally masculine, I think anyone could really enjoy wearing it and not feel out of place.

Lime aftershave, steel and the oil my father used for cleaning his shotgun. If that sounds repellent, it's actually quite wonderful. After a while the softness of the tweed emerges, and it already has a clean feel that may be the linen, but it's not soapy on me at all. I like this much more than I expected to. It's unisex and would probably be fantastic on the right gent (mine is utterly uninterested in wearing scent, more's the pity), but on my skin it's sexy in a clean, strong way. It makes me feel competent, in control. Adding this to the already overlong GC bottle list.

Fresh, yummy lime aftershave. This one would be right at home in Phoenix Steamworks with the oil and cologne quality. There's also the soft downiness of the lab's wool/fabric note, and the scent on the whole reminds me of a brighter, nattier version of Ichabod Crane. Traditionally masculine, but with a hint of sweetness.

From a frimp, left to sit in a drawer for almost two years ...

The aftershave / men's cologne aspect is dominant, which isn't normally my thing. But if this is an aftershave, it's a really beautiful one. It's much less piercing than this family of scents often is to my nose. Much more smooth and golden. There's a distinct citrus note, but it's well-blended and not too sharp.

I definitely smell metal, kind of a polished brass. I love love love a good metal note, and it's beautifully featured here.

I also love a good cloth note, which is not so foregrounded, but definitely present. On wet, the linen presents initially as the kind of "clean linen" candle scent that smells nothing like real linen to my nose. Thankfully, it very quickly relaxes into something more realistic and subtle, and a pleasant wooliness starts to come through.

After a few hours, this really is the smell of a gentle-but-masculine man burnishing a brass revolver with a worn cloth. If I were to get a big bottle of a cologne-y scent, it would be this one.

In the imp: Lime aftershave, tweed, and metal. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's metal and aftershave first. I can still detect the lime and the tweed. On the immediate drydown, the throw is lime aftershave while the skin scent is almost all metal. As Watson develops on my skin, he becomes more and more gunmetal. 

After an hour, it's still all revolver. It's a very clean metal, as in the scent description of "well-cared for service revolver." There's nothing, say, of actual gunpowder about the scent. And the linen and lime are evident if I really stick my nose in my arm, but for normal sniffing distance, they're very faint and subtle. 

Hmm. Soapy lime over rusty metals, and a bit of hot powder.

To me this smells like Ambercrombie x bathroom cleaner aisle. Not full bottle worthy, but I'll be experimenting with it.

Initially, I get Gin and Tonic smell (perhaps the lime), with a metallic tang somewhere. Definite aftershave vibes though. I'll keep the imp for occasional use, but not bottle material.

i don't get any oils or metals specifically, just a nice clean cologney type smell, very lovely if just a skosh generic, but with a surprising peek of sweet lime popping out.  a little sharper at first, but i do get that tweedy feeling as it dries down and softens up.

total dad 'fume, but not in a bad way.  he's a little dilf-y. 

Edited by MamaMoth

What the heck! I could've sworn I left a review on this back in 2015/16 but I must've dreamt it. I distinctly remember this perfume and I quite liked it; clean (just shaved!), well taken care of man who uses maybe just a little too much soap(!!), and may or may not be concealing a gun. ...Or is that the metal on the walking cane you're smelling?