Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

John Watson

Tweed and crisp linen, lime-tinged aftershave, the sleek steel and oil of a well-cared for service revolver, and a memory's echo of a Jezail bullet shell.

Watson is a smooth operator. The lime, after shave oil, and linen blend into a sweet yet subtle perfume. I love it. It can be a little powdery at first on my skin...(my skin amps powder) but don't be afraid. This mature, critical thinker, is definitely a delicious man to be reckoned with. I am sure...that layered with Sherlock...this will be the perfect scent. :D

Watson, why do you hate me? I get lime aftershave, and then something that smells like greasy motor oil on a wool jacket. And it smells, well, really unpleasant.

NOPE. Sorry, I am scrubbing this off.

So I was lucky enough to get a surprise FRIMP of John Watson with my order of Sherlock :) In the imp it smells of clean lemony aftershave. On me it's not the same love I have for Sherlock but it's still beautifully clean and manly. It has hints of sexy lemon and metal. Very masculine. The drydown is gorgeous, still manly but has a sweet softness to it. I think my DH would smell lovely if he wore this, alas he is anti BPAL (I know right!). I might try and pursuade him.

I was planning on buying a bottle anyway because I can't have Sherlock without Watson!

PS I tried pairing this with Sherlock to see how they would smell together and WOW, the sweet juicy sexiness I get from Sherlock really blends beautifully with the starkness and metal manliness of Watson. We have a winner :)

Nope. This is not for me. It smells like a sweet motor oil on me. I'm sad since I love Sherlock so much....but nope, sorry John.

John Watson is metal and oil—with a little linen and lime. I'm going to age this a bit, but my early impression is that I don't love wearing this on its own...but do really enjoy this layered with Sherlock. On the drydown I do get a bit of tweed...it's amazing!

So when I saw the notes for Watson, I knew I had to give this a try. I joined a decant circle, but then swapped for a bottle (unsniffed!) because I was sure I would love it. And I was not disappointed. Metallics work really well on me, and blended with the lime and linen, the whole thing is fresh, metallic, and very crisp. (The first time I wore it, I walked the razor's edge of being almost medicinal, but thankfully that hasn't happened since.)

Nope, nope nope nope - I love Sherlock, but this I had to scrub off in seconds. It's aaaaaaaall about the metal and grease, and I absolutely can't stand metallics, they ruin just about all the Steamworks scents for me :( I was really hoping that the intense metally nose-ouch might fade into the background, but it just made me feel ill >_< The patch of skin where it was, now has a very slight lingering scent that isn't quite so unpleasant, it's better balanced, but it still smells a bit like a garage, and it still makes my nose tingle in a not very nice way!

Linen and lime in the bottle. Goes on as lime with machine oil, which dries to metal — not a bad scent, definitely a "well-cared-for gun." It continues to a cloth/tweed note, and then it's back to the lime aftershave. It's not a real lime, but a "lime-scented" product. There's a bit of something smoky in the back of the throat, and it finishes as that lime aftershave. Not terrible, but not something I'd wear again.

The strongest note on me is the that of the fabric-- tweed and linen, reading a little musty, followed closely behind by the oil. There is a far away hint of lime. Overall this is a manly, intense scent.. I dont care for it much alone, and enjoy Sherlock and Watson layered best.

In the imp: Strong wool, almost a lanolin sort of smell.

Wet on my skin: Wool, gunmetal and oil, and just a hint of lime.

Dry: This is a strong scent on me, bordering on unpleasant, but just unusual and interesting enough that I keep sniffing it anyway. I don't know HOW they managed to get the scent of a fog-dampened tweed suit in here, but they did. That's the strongest note, followed by the oiled gunmetal and just that slight hint of lime. Lime peel, in particular. It's a very masculine scent, and though it's a bit too much for me on its own, I think I'll try layering it with Sherlock Holmes and see what that does to it.

Layered: Now THIS is nice. Better than either of the two on their own!

Fresh and unisex. A bit citrussy, a bit woody, and FRESH! I kept getting whiffs of myself a couple of hours after application. Woods like my skin, and this is very nice on me. It goes feminine on me, and I'd sure like to try it on a guy. If I didn't have a couple of nice wood blends, I'd get a bottle. Still, I'm contemplating..

I didn't think this would work for me but surprisingly my adored it. It was like sexy tweed and lime!

Had to try it.

In the bottle -- Lime and sweet aftershave. I don't really like anything that smells like traditional aftershave, so I'm hoping that stays mild.

On the skin, lime and clean laundry, rounding towards soapy aftershave. The metallic element alloys gently with the lime, An almost foodie sweetness (I amp anything sweet). A long time later, close to the skin, I smell something like warm wool.

This ends up as warm, sweet, clean scent. The lime hangs around on me, which I like. This is less rugged on me than I imagine for John, but that may be our chemistry...

Well, this is a surprise.

I didn't expect to like this with the notes listed but it goes to show you never know.

Tweed, steel, and lime with a bit of oil in the background. I was expecting something more masculine and rugged but what I got was clean, unisex, smooth, powdery, and slightly sweet.

Not something I can see myself grabbing for but it is nice and I can see it being a great scent on the right person.

Edited by Atrous

I got a tester of this in a recent swap. Maybe it's just my chemistry, or maybe the sample I got was corrupted somehow, but this one went astoundingly bad on me. It was all moldy tweed and mothballs.

Got a tester from the lovely azurephoenix from her decant circle.

In the bottle, this is sharp metallic lime and a whiff of clean linen.

Wet, this is unreal. The lime is still the main player and still has that sharp metal quality that I loved so much, but now the aftershave really comes through with a lovely warm wooded note to it. It's a crisp and very masculine scent but it's not overwhelming or too in your face.

Dry it's more of the same. I'm getting a hint of some thing woolen but really it's that same sharp lime and warm woody cologne. It's sophisticated and mouthwateringly sumptuous, sweet but not foody, woody but not overwhelming. This looks like a seriously likely canidate for a full bottle, especially given its gc.

I also got a tester from my lovely decantress, Azzie <3

Wet: Clean, bright, a little sweet. Masculine for sure, but very pleasant. A bit spicy. It sort of reminds me of a more sophisticated Old Spice.

Dry: This is just ok on me, but I think it could be great on a man. It reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on. It's pleasant, warm, clean. A bit sweet, a bit spicy. Hard to describe! But nice.

Bottle: Linen and lime. Bright and dapper. After I've put the vial down and am about to exhale, I get a potent film of aftershave -- as if it's suddenly coating the inside of my nose. This is a weird and unexpected effect.

Wet: Bright, limey aftershave. It's like the foam is right in front of me. Immediately after: heavy, slightly musty linen, like tweed. There might be a dot of the "wet wool" from Druid in this? There is also a metallic something in this that reminds me of the steel in Fighter.

Dry: The lime foam hangs around awhile. Mostly it's the aftershave -- the lime was a volatile top note and I wouldn't expect it to stay.

Received as a frimp and not something I'd have ordered on my own. An interesting exploration. Going to wash it off now.

This soft lime intertwined with linen or tweed or whatever other fabric. This becomes subdued and clean and a bit sour :think: (not really expecting that). 10 minutes later, it develops a sweaty note (cumin)? Reminds me of Eau d'Hermes actually.

Edited by theredkilt

Goes on as honeyed lime cough drops, a bright metallic cologne, and a milky, creamy, clean fabric scent. The lime disappears pretty quickly and I'm left with wet, soapy-clean fabric hung out to dry on an outdoor clothesline, a creamy, honeyed sweetness, and a hint of cold metal. I don't find this to be unpleasant or sour at all, though it is a bit too soapy/clean for my personal tastes. I smell this and think of making out with an attractive man whilst hiding between damp sheets on a clothesline at a summer party in the country... which isn't bad at all. Clean, but sexy and honeyed, in the same way that Sara Pezzini is. This is basically the masculine counterpoint of Sara Pezzini for me.

A very traditional smelling man's cologne. Horrid on me, but will probably smell amazing on the man.

I got this imp as a free addition to my order, which was a lovely surprise.

I went to go try this, but after smelling it in the imp, there's no way I'm putting this on my skin. The stuff that got on my fingers is more than enough. While it's not an unpleasant smell, I wouldn't really call it pleasant either. I can smell the lime-ish aftershave, the metal and oil, maybe the cloth-y stuff too (I'm no expert sniffer). My husband says it smells like sweat. Overall, it reminds me of my granddad - nice as far as nostalgia, but not something I'm ever going to wear.

Ooh, lime and... I swear, pine! That must be the tobacco mixing with the lime. It's a very pretty masculine scent. And a bit spicy on my second time trying this one. Very nice!

ETA where I'd wear this: Hot summer day, outskirts of London

Edited by gloame

I got this as a frimp and am pleasantly surprised, I thought I would be repelled by manly smells but I love this! I don't get any of the steel or revolver oil, nothing super metallic-y I just get a clean, comforting manly smell, not like a necessarily sexy man smell but like the smell of your dad giving you a hug on Christmas

When I first smelled this before looking at the notes all I could think of was cool, crisp water. It's a very clean and sophisticated smell. I definitely get wool and linen, with a just touches of pine and lime. Refined and handsome, love this almost as much as Sherlock and will probably have to get both for my guy.