Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Eros

Santa Eularia Des Riu

Piquant citrus tempered by jasmine, soft Mediterranean herbs, lavender and orange blossom.

mostly citrus and lavendar with a smidge of jasmine. thankfully i couldn't smell the jasmine...just the citrus.

In the imp: Lemon drop candies

Wet: Hmm...cleaning fluid that smells like lemon drop candies (I'm not having too much luck with imps today. Geez!)

Srurprisingly, the astringent quality isn't coming from the lemon, it's coming from the floral (and I'm guessing that's the jasmine...since we don't get along)

Whoever said "weird Pine Sol" is right!

Dry: Still cleaning fluid-like on me. Eeeeeee! I rarely ahve to wash BPAL oils off but this one just isn't agreeing with my nose.

Verdict: This one gave me a headache unfortunatly :/ Not good (at least for me)!

in the imp: lavender and citrus - yummy. It is definitely astringent and I think there might just be some basil in the somewhere. A very slight hint of the sweet floral from jasmine.

Wet: The citrus seems like a peel to me and it dominates at first. The lavender is taking a back seat and the herbals are coming along. I still think there is basil in here. I really happen to like basil in a perfume and I am liking this.

Dry: As it dries, the citrus mellows out some. The jasmine is coming along now and sweetening things up, but not too much. The lavender has retreated to where it is now part of the herbals. I suspect this will fade quite quickly on me (as many BPALs seem to do). I am a slatherer, not by nature, but by necessity.

Yes, yes, I am liking this one. Great for a summer day with a pretty dress and sandals. I am still quite fascinated by how the oils change on my skin. I like all the stages this one went through. Although I do wish things wouldn't lose the brightness when they get on my skin. Perhaps this one would be good in a locket to keep the citrus up front.

Mmm, I just applied more on top of what had dried and the wet and dry together are great!

At first blush, this is a bright, but not overpowering citrus. I smell lemon - but not cleaning product lemon. Lemon rind mixed with orange juice, with an undertone of fresh greenery and a grounding of a very light, very mild spice. I'm praying this stays the same through the drydown, because right now this is fantastic. Unfortunately, after a fairly short amount of time, this turns into cheap men's cologne on me. This one could be good for a scent locket, though.

Imp: Thar be rosemary here! Getting a soft rosemary sort of scent over warm citrus. I think I'd happily marinate chicken in this.

Wet: Dusty, dusty, dusty. Definitely the impact of the orange blossom--it's kind of weird and tempermental on my skin but usually worth the weirdo drydown. Getting some jasmine and maybe some bay leaf or something? Definitely another green herb other than rosemary.

Dry: So I have always wondered why my first imp of Lolita never smelled like my bottle of Lolita. It's because I'm pretty sure that my first imp of Lolita was actually an imp of Santa Eularia Des Riu. This definitely has that same sort of orange blossom/lemon candy scent of my first imp of Lolita and it's vaguely related to my eventual bottle of the blend. Definitely evokes that first imp of Lolita for me and I think I still have it somewhere and will pull it out to compare. Lovely orange blossom and lemon candy with a faint whisper of green herbs. Summery, pretty and very carefree.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Glad I had this on hand. I actually have been wearing a lot of my Lolita bottle simply because I like the heliotrope in it. But I think that once I finish that bottle I'll probably replace it with this. The jasmine rounds this out in a really sultry sort of way and this is very classical and pretty while still being clean.

Imp: Hello lemon verbena! I can also detect the herbs inside.

Wet: All verbena. The orange blossom also pokes its head out, adding even more citrus to my overly citrus-amping skin.

Dry: The herbs comes out again. And the jasmine, but not too strongly at all. Then again, jasmine isn’t a death note for me. They help kill off a bit of the overly-juicy fruit, making this blend completely delicious. Very summer-y. It almost feels like a scent you’d catch on the shore of a rocky beach in the middle of a sunny day.

Yum.

This blend does not work how I expected. It starts off very lemony, with astringent lavender and bright orange blossom overtop a lush jasmine layer. There's a very herbal element, as yet undefined.

The citrus breezes away after a bit, and orange blossom and jasmine take the centre stage. A sharp, dry herbal note is developing...

When the softer florals mellow, this becomes quite herbal. In fact, it smells like a very dry jasmine, a bit of orange blossom and a hint of mint... and oregano!?

I think this could smell really nice on my boyfriend, but it's not quite my style. It comes off as somewhat masculine. Too many herbs, not enough floral.

In the imp: Lemon scented handy andy with a touch of shoe polish.

Wet: LEMON, fake lemon - not real lemon. And something peppery. It almost smells like lemon handy andy and stale cigarette smoke.

Dry: Smoke and lemon, with a touch of antiseptic and rum. :huh?:

After a while: Empty alcohol bottles the day after a big party. In fact, the living room of my house share the day after a big party. And antiseptic. Errrr... not sure this is something I WANT to smell like.

Citrus and....cat pee. Now that I'm actually reading the notes I know the exact reason why this turned to cat pee on me--the jasmine. The citrus does overpower it to a point, but it still shows up. I don't get how my skin cooperates with chocolate, milk, cream of all things but here's jasmine, a legendary flower of sensuality, and it makes me smell like a litter box.

This was a frimp; definitely not a scent I would have thought to try for myself. Straight out of the bottle, all I can smell is oranges. Not just oranges; orange candy. Very, very sweet and fruity.

Dry, it's a little less orangey. I can smell something vaguely spicy; maybe those Medeterranean herbs?

A couple hours later, I get more spice and a lot less orange. The scent itself is nice; soft but not too delicate, and very warm and pleasant once the citrus wears off. I'm still not sure I like it on me, but it's a very nice scent.

In the bottle: bitter orange rind.

Wet: The rind immediately softens to a warmer orange juice and lavender smell. I’m surprised I don’t get much jasmine, as I am actually a big fan of that scent.

Dry: The jasmine comes in late for me, and there’s still some bitter orange rind in the drydown.

Overall, it reminds me of an orange scent from Bath and Bodyworks that I used to have. Glad I have the imp, but I probably won’t use this too often. My roommate likes it on me a lot, though, so maybe I'll try again later.

in the imp: bitter herbs

wet: bitter herbs. and i'm sneezing which means that one of those herbs is basil.

dry down: italian seasoning mix with slight orange.

i was really hoping for less herbs and more orange and florals- i can wear florals when mixed with citrus. but no i smell like the herbs you put on a pizza.

I love lavender. This lavender starts out as lemon Pledge cleaner though. I have to be patient and not wash it off for after about 10 minutes the Pledge scent fades and the lavender comes out. Wow that first 10ish minutes though....yuck. The scent doesn't have much staying power..boo.

So many familiar and suggestive elements to this fragrance....
Ideal and clean; one might even venture 'enlightened' as an adjective... Or, was that delicious? Synonymous?
Santa Eularia Des Rui incorporates all of the best traits a person could hope to exude upon making a first impression; fearlessness, lack of guile, fresh and potent energies, and something akin to an old and omniscient force of nature.
Santa Eularia Des Rui has the ability to captivate everyone in the room... This is an unusual mix of ruthlessness and innocence.
This formula seems to incorporate Lilac, Lime, Lemongrass, Cucumber, Mint, Sandalwood, Lavender and a wisp of smoke...
A cry to Heaven.
A verdant sanctuary.
A hymn to washing away ones cares.
Santa Eularia Des Rui is a fresh, pulsating green, thunderhead grey and lustrous pearl.
Spectacularly unisex.
Carpe Olifactorum!

In the vial this is a clear, light and delicately orange scented perfume, tempered by soft lavender. On my skin, the lavender comes through more sharply, though there is a definate mixture with the orange, which is backed by something green. After a reasonably short time, the orange fades to the sweetness of jasmine, and the lavender loses its sharpness, leaving the scent as a soft, sweet, floral.

I've always loved the combination of orange with lavender. That's what I smell in this, plus some herbs. I think I smell tarragon, which smells like licorice. The herbs are very subtle. I'm surprised I don't get any jasmine out of this. Perfect for summer.

ETA: After a while, this turns to toothpaste on me.

In the IMP it’s very herby and green with strong hints of lavender. On me it’s very herby and orangey, spicy too. Very fresh and clean. Smells like fancy citrus potpourri. I like it on me but I think it would make a very nice room spray as well, especially during the festive seasons!

Wet: the citrus, orange blossom and lavender are strongest. Very Mediterranean (not that I've been there but representing the culture that's generally promoted via smellies and some foods). Words that come to mind are fragrant, wafting, saturated, succulent, sun-baked.

Drydown: There's a strange body to it.. the jasmine and herbs seem to create a meaty smell..? Uhm.. hmm. Well that passes a bit. The jasmine and herbs are just developing and the shift caused some confusion in my snooter. Citrus dries up and lavender seems to as well. I feel like I've moved from the kitchen to the bath! This becomes a lovely warm floral.. I feel like I'm getting a warm hug. Sticks close to the skin and makes my mouth water (dried citrus tends to cause this reaction with me). I didn't expect to love this one (thanks for the frimp, lab!) but I can see this as one of my new comfort scents.

ETA: get this if you like Cocktail from LUSH. Very similar citrusy floral jello thing going on.

Edited by SophieCedar

In the bottle: Citrus~

Wet: A delicious blend of citrus and jasmine, light and floral. A nice throw, as well.

Dry: The throw stays strong with this, and it's light and not overwhelming. Hours later, the jasmine and citrus balance nicely with a nice undertone of mixed herbs. This scent makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. =)

orange candy to start, then lavender comes in and the orange is gone...completely dry i get oregano! this is a very interesting scent, was hoping for some jasmine, but it didn't come out and play.

Yes! Now this is my kind of perfume. It's so lovely and clean and herbal. :D I just tried out Manila, which was just so the opposite of this. It smells like a really expensive bar of quality soap, but it's not "soapy". The citrus/jasmine/lavender is a hit on my skin. It did start off quite medicinal but within 15 minutes it balanced out very nicely. I probably won't be buying a bottle of this, but I will keep my imp when I want a refreshing break from my daily scents.

In the imp - Citrus beachy.

Wet - Oooh, the herbal quality is making this so much more interesting than the usual beachy blends I’ve sniffed.

Drydown - This is predominantly citrus with some herbs in back. I did a double-take when I saw that jasmine is a note. This might be the best and most well-behaved jasmine I’ve encountered.

Verdict - This is Seven Herbs Charm, but sunnier and happier. I’m really enjoying it, and it’s a nice alternative to the ambergris-heavy beach blends I wish I could wear.

Wow, this smells like a tropical vacation--not the luxury resort kind, but a private island, in the rainforest kind. I get citrus and salty sea breaze, with a hint of green herbs in the background. Not something I would wear but a great room scent.

In the imp: Wonderfully spicy orange with a minty hint.

Dry: It starts off orangey and lemony with a bit of spice. Soon it morphs into a lemon cough drop.

Verdict: I think lemon anything, verbena/grass/the actual fruit, is a note of death for me. This will be swapped out.

In the Frimp: Santa Eulària des Riu is very pale yellow oil in the lab frimp and smells of citrus soaked herbs. It’s very spicy, juicy, and green.

Top Notes:
Immediately after application there is a heavy blast of citrus notes, predominately a very green, spicy lemon-like scent mixed with a tart orange (lemon balm and neroli perhaps?). Lavender and what I think is rosemary occasionally peek out beneath the dominant citrus notes. It’s very clean but somehow stops just short of being soapy. If anything, teeters between being astringent and refreshing.

Middle Notes: Thirty minutes later, the citrus is still dominating the blend but has calmed down and rounded out with the introduction of the sweeter, more floral jasmine and orange blossom notes. At this stage it’s somewhat pleasant and it reminds me of suntan lotion and warm summer days at the beach.

Base Notes: Two hours later and it is mostly gone: only faint wisps spicy, sweet herbs and citrusy jasmine remains.

Overall Impression: It took me a while but I eventually figured out what Santa Eulària des Riu reminds me of: Yankee Candle’s Sun & Sand! Personally, I think this type of scent would be much better suited as an atmosphere spray as it’s a too fresh for what I usually wear. If there had been more emphasis on the white floral aspect, I might have enjoyed waering it a little more. I would highly recommend this blend to those who enjoy summery beach fragrances! The scent colors for Santa Eulària des Riu are a sunny yellow, vibrant green, and aquamarine.

The sillage is low to medium spectrum and the longevity is very short (less than three hours) on the skin. This is one of those blends where you might want to use a scent locket in order to prolong wearing it.

Final Verdict: Not bottle worthy for my tastes but I might keep this frimp until the summer months roll around so I can test it in warmer conditions.