Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Venus

Blissful Love - Romance - Passion - Grace - Beauty - Joy Good Luck in Love and Money - Kindness - Affection - Artistic Inspiration and Success - Harmony - Reconciliation - Sensuosity - Charm - Elegance - Delight

This is the proper scent for Venus. This is femininity and grace all wrapped up into one bottle. On me, Venus smells like fresh roses and peony that have been recently watered. One flower doesn't overwhelm the other. This smells very pink but not girly pink, it;s just not sweet enough for that. Lightly floral with just a hint of green. So glad I got a bottle of this!

Venus is pure rose on me. I'm not picking up any other notes than rose, and that's fine with me. :P On my skin, it doesn't have a particularly strong throw or staying power.

:P Softly floral and feminine, as the Goddess of Love should be incarnate. This is a great achievement for Beth, her best rendition yet.

Venus - When first sniffed in the vial, Venus smells like sweet, soft roses. When initially applied, it smells like sweet, soft roses. It reminds me of a stronger version of Water of Notre Dame, but otherwise, pretty much the same. My first reaction was that as much as I love BPAL rose blends, this was so similar to many of the other rose blends that I was happy I only ordered a decant of Venus. After about 15 minutes, however, upon full dry-down, suddenly and unexpectedly a bright purple violet popped out at me. And then another. And another! I instantly recognized this was most certainly not just like any other BPAL rose scent, for it combined two of my favorite florals -- rose and violet. The thing I just love about it, though, is the violet is in the background and only peeks out occasionally, and it's always sudden, unexpected, and really fabulous. About six hours after application, the scent remains as strong on me as when initially applied, which is a first for me out of the hundreds of BPAL blends I've tried. However, the scent morphs and at this point, instead of getting wafts of rose with bits of violet, I get wafts of something warm and incensey, with the faintest hint of rose in the background. It was serene and simply gorgeous. At the nine hour point, the scent has faded a bit, but is still stronger than many BPAL blends are after the first half hour on my skin. While there are still a few BPAL scents I prefer over this one, this is quite possibly the most all-around incredible BPAL blend I've encountered. It's full-bodied, it has the perfect amount of throw, the staying power is the best of any BPAL I've tried, I'm intrigued by the way the scent morphs and changes, yet remains beautiful throughout. Venus is truly one of the most spectacular BPAL blends, and I have got some serious "Venus envy" (ha ha!) now because I didn't buy a full size bottle!

First whiff: slight mint, and the rose greenery from Rose Red.

Drydown: The mint goes away quite quickly, leaving the still the greenery, and a rose flower note very close to the Peacock Queen's.

As it goes, the Peacock Queen-style rose flower scent takes the front of the stage, with the green note softly wafting in the background. It manages to be, strangely enough, both fresh and warmly radiant - glowing, I'd say.

Verdict: I love this blend. The scent itself, with all its minty greenness over soft rose, is very pleasant to start with, but the effect is there as well - now maybe it's the strong visualisation I do when wearing this blend, but it makes me feel, hm, graceful, open and elegant. And that's a feat, believe me :P

Also, I sometimes layer it with Dragon's Milk, my comfort scent, for an extra feel-good kick, and the result is scrumptious, can't recommend it enough!

8/10

Mint and roses... I'm in heaven. It's a beautifully feminine scent and if I hadn't already bought so many oils to go through I'd be making this one my signature scent. It's perfect.

Ooo!

Wet: tea rose, but of medium sweetness with just a hint of high. There's powder here, too, and...something else.

Dry: gods, a beautiful tea rose, very old fashioned, Medieval, like the Queen of Rods or Swords (or maybe the Ace?) in Aquarian Tarot. It's a soft pink, medium with a hint of green and...violet, I believe. Strong at the beginning, and as time passes the scent fades like a rose dries, but it's never a dried rose scent. A good 6-7 hours after applying and I'm left with just a hint of twilight, a hint of green.

Overall: why the hell didn't I buy more when I had the chance?!

Oro

Bottle: delicate rose

Wet: much the same - a fresh, pink rose, none of the greenery of Rose Red, but still very delicate. this is the rose that all of those fake rose scents meant for old ladies try in vain to achieve, I am sure....

Dry: this stays true. it's wet, but not an aquatic, per se (which I am happy with, after all then it would give me a headache!), spring-y and flow-y and just lovely. delicate and young...almost too young a rose for me, to be honest, but neither is it Love's Baby Soft young, either.

Later: I may use this for layering more than wearing by itself, but it is a beautiful blend. (and it appeals to my Libra AC like nutz. funny, the way the Luna celestial has been described wouldn't work for me at all, all notes that hate me. ha. silly Cancer)

This is really pink! The first time I tried it, I applied rather a lot, because my skin usually eats BPAL. But my skin amped every single note in Venus, making it so strong that I got a headache... oops. So now I use it sparingly. It's a great scent, and it does make me feel sexy, so hooray for that.

Now, one of the notes that I DO know is rose. But, the first time I wore this, I swear I had a hard time placing the scent. It is rose, but it somehow does not have the familiarity of most rose scents. This is feminine love in a bottle. :P

In bottle: Rose soap. I'm a little fearful.

On skin, wet: Rose. Pure Rose. So this is what rose smells like as bpal! (normally I get powder or soapy configurations of rose when it hits my skin).

On skin, dry: A very green hint in the background of the rose.

Conclusion: A very fitting, feminine blend for the Goddess of Love and Attraction. However, I have now learned that I am not a big fan of rose.

Rating: 2/5

This was also one of the generous zenvodunista's impish gifts.

Venus was rose. Pure rose. Nothing but masses and masses and masses of rose.

Which was okay with me, though I have been spoiled by the more complicated fragrances.

I like rose. So, evidentally, does Lady Venus.

This reminds me of a cross between Utrennyaya and Ace of Hearts. There is rose in here for sure, but there is so much more than just rose going on in this scent. The mint I smell reminds me of the white mint in Utrennyaya, and there are other herbal scents that I can't quite identify. I smell violet also, and the scent has the juicyness of Ace of Hearts. It feels more efficacious than mere perfume. I like it, though it fades quite quickly.

I am generally not a rose fan, but Parlement of Foules has sent me on a (guess what kind of) errand since I love that scent.

Sadly, I do not also love Venus. In the bottle it is nice albeit somewhat too floral for my taste. Wearing it though, was pretty much just soap and grandmas.

*wah* on the next...

This is a frimp from my lovely friend Chrysantza. She loves floral, I don't, so we'll see...

In the bottle: oooh rose! A little creamy, a little green but still rose. Quite right for Venus.

On my skin: wait, there's something more. Rose, of course, but... violet? Lilac? Some other heavy floral. Unfortunately, I don't get mint at all.

After a couple of hours: very rich bright pink rose (while Red Rose was dark red rose and the empress was pastel pink rose).

Verdict: it's very beautiful but I don't love roses enough to need another rose-scent, myself.

I bought this as part of an imp set to tide me over until I get my first order from the Lab. I'm still new at this reviewing thing. :P

Wet: Hrm, this is hard to describe. Clean and wet, and cool.

First on: Oh, there are the florals. Like a rained-on flower garden.

Dry: Still a springtime flower garden. I smell a bit of pink rose, maybe some carnations too? But there are other flowers and water too. I wouldn't say this is an everyday scent for me, but I like it. It's nice and light.

None of the other Celestials worked on me, but this one does.

It's a soft, pretty rose scent, exactly the sort of rose that I like (and I'm very picky about rose scents). My floral-note-identification skills are for crap, unfortunately, and rose is the only one I can pick out. All I can say is that it smells soft and gentle, calm and cool. It's almost creamy but not quite.

This doesn't smell green or sharp, or like soap, or like anything bad on me. It smells really lovely. If I had a bottle of this oil I would definitely wear it.

In the bottle: A lovely green aquatic scent with some rose.

Wet: Greenery like stems and tear-like aquatics.

Drydown: Rose starts coming out, a pale white rose amongst a thick lush background of greenery. It makes me think of a beautiful garden in the spring, with fountains and ponds, where roses are budding but haven't come out yet. The green note is a little bit tart, but that works well to keep the freshness. It gets a bit vinegary on me, after a while, and then all of a sudden it absolutely blooms into fresh delicate roses, light but definitely strong.

Overall: It's a very pretty blend, soothing, similar to Water of Notre Dame for the green note, but less powdery and more rosey. I very much understand how this can express Venus, for the aesthetic and gentleness that is represented in the planet. To me this represents Venus as it is seen through Libra (the sign, not the oil), mostly graceful and turned towards artistic creation, and less materialistic and sensual as it can be seen in Taurus. I tend to find it even a little shrill for Venus, but maybe it's just my chemistry.

Edited by Meg

i get soft rose and lots of something herbally, like mint or eucalyptus. i'm a libra and was hoping to *love* this scent, but unfortunately it's just too floral and green for my taste.

VenusSS.jpg

Thank Goddess I don't detect any mint in this lovely oil, as others have noted above. Mint is not my friend, at all, to point that it will make me physically ill. This is a lovely, lovely rose oil with greenery included. This is like going out to my grandmother's garden and picking dew-covered roses fresh from the bush -- leaves, thorns and all. There's a faintly woody scent at the bottom of the green smell, but the deep dark pink of the rose totally rules this blend for me. Hooray!

:P

In the imp: a beautiful rose bouquet.

Wet on skin: even more beautiful rose bouquet, with the leaves and thorns and stems -- a perfect amalgamation of a rose scent. Venus herself couldn't have made a more lovely formula.

Dry: Oh, this wonderful, wonderful rose oil! I put a little dab at the edge of my hairline, as well as in the usual places, and caught wonderful little whiffs all evening long. Perfection!

Verdict: I have 3 bottles of this, and hopefully it will last me a really, really long time. I like Venus even better than I like The Empress, and that is saying something. Of course, I am only getting started on the BPAL rose notes... :D

ME===>412643049_eaab1ee633_m.jpg

If you don't recognize the picture, click on the ME arrow for the explanation. But trust me when I tell you I'm a Venus all right...this Venus.

Edited by stellans

Lily of the valley, mint, and roses. That's what I get. It's pink and green, a sweet and fresh scent, ever so slightly aquatic. Very pretty, but most supremely not my thing.

I weep.

I wanted to really like this scent, but teh roses, they hate me!

When I opened the bottle, I smelled mostly an herbal greenness, which was nice. I dabbed a bit on my wrists before I went out for a walk, but I was very shortly greeted by OMGROSE I just couldn't abide. That was all I could smell after applying, and it stuck to my skin for hours afterward. Maybe it's that Aries Ascendant of mine, who knows. Venus and I, sadly, will have to part ways.

a soft, romantic, feminine rose scent. it’s really light, dreamy and slightly powdery. i’m not picking up the citrusy or green elements that others have, but my skin really amps up rose. i’d wear this year-round whenever i want something simple but lovely.