Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gingerbread Jolly Roger is very interesting. I am an aquatic and leather lover, but not a gingerbread lover. I was hopeful though- either for myself, or my hubby. This is hands down the best gingerbread scent that I have tried- my opinion and his. On me, the aquatic notes from Jolly Roger are ever present, leather is clearly there in the background. The gingerbread is strong, but not overwhelmingly spicy. The aquatic and leather notes soften and make the the overall scent creamy, spicy and less masculine than I expected. I am not sure that it will get a lot of wear from me, I would almost prefer it as a room scent- and that would be divine!! I will see what the hubby thinks and then decide :). Overall, it is a perfect match to the description and the notes merge beautifully together!

This is amazing stuff - I am not an aquatic lover, aquatics tend to make me a touch nauseous after a while... I have no idea why, but even if they are gorgeous at first, on my skin I get something that isn't necessarily bad, just isn't good. BUT GJR is the exception to that! The gingerbread morphs the aquatic notes into something that isn't quite so watery as just... outdoorsy? Fresh air? I think that is it. Whatever it is, the notes blend into something that is gorgeous and reminds me of .... something else that I can't quite put my finger on. Something from my childhood. :D

Oddly enough, on my left wrist I am getting fresh air and gingerbread. with the gingerbread way in the background, and on my right wrist I am getting predominantly leather and gingerbread. :lol:

In the Bottle: Gingerbread and leather. Definitely the same gingerbread note as from last's year's Gingerbread Snake.

Wet On Skin: Gingerbread, leather and sea salt. I know it's the ocean note from Jolly Rodger, but I think it's the same note that was in Mother Shub's Squamous Sea Salt Caramel Cookies last year as well.

Dry Down: Yup, this is a pretty straight-forward scent on me. I get no morphing, no real changes. It's all sweet gingerbread with leather and sea salt. If that sounds like a yummy mix to you, you will not be disappointed. Sadly, for me, I think I'll need to go swap this out...

Woot! A food inspired blend that is not foody on me! Ginger and spices mixed with salt, wood, rum, and a hint of leather. The sea note is not too aquatic, just fresh, like brisk salt air skimming the deck of a ship, over an open chest of spices and a pirate standing nearby. Very unusual but lovely unisex blend.

I think this is the best foody blend for non-foody-wearing people to try. My skin can take a sugary scent from sweet to a cloying, choking miasma in 5 seconds, and this stays the perfect level of spicy-sweet. Not to mention how well the spices balance; along with Moroccan Snake Pit and Gingerbread Snake Oil, this is probably my favorite Lab gingerbread. After a five-minute gumble over the aquatic and leather - always dicey for me - it settles into this long, low, dry spice that lasts for over a day.

The primary charm for me is the dryness. Gingerbread biscotti with sea salt! Gingerbread hardtrack, consumed outdoors in the salty ocean air! Woodsy dried gingerbread! Gingerbread jerky (not in the meaty sense but in the dried, leathery sense)! The bay rum blends beautifully with the allspice and stays truly gender-neutral, never cologne-y. There's just enough aquatic to bind the spices to the salt and woods, and keep them from drying up and blowing away; it never reads as "aquatic" per se. There's no clove-monster tromping over everything; it's all bright, peppery ginger and allspice and a faint dust of cardamom, wearing down to spicy woods.

In short, it's unique and I love my bottle.

Edited by bheansidhe

A gingerbread on the high seas! It's a beautiful spicy gingerbread note with hints of water, wood, and ocean air. I like it. I will probably wear this when I have no idea what else to wear! :D

This blend is really interesting!

It starts off with a blast of leather, which admittedly isn't my thing so I was really nervous for a sec, but not a moment later the gingerbread and the wood shove the leather into the background. In the drydown there's a splash of rum and a sprinkle of salt, but overall it's pretty wood-dominate on me, with spice just behind the wood. It kinda smells like someone brought some gingerbread to Home Depot. :lol: Sounds weird, but I'm digging it! The longer I wear it, the smoother it gets. It feels like an aquatic note is emerging but bringing more a sense of water rather than a smell of water, if that makes sense? Actually, looking at the above reviews, I think ltrittipoe hit the nail on the head- it's more fresh air than water. Air with touches of wood and spice and rum. Though, admittedly, this is all on my right wrist. The left also has leather in the mix, which isn't really ideal but luckily it's not too strong.

I really like this! Can't wait to see what aging does to it. :D

Hmmm.... very interesting!

I think this is the first kind of scent that is actually stronger ON than in the bottle. First sniff I get a pale and soft gingerbread/leather blend. Once applied, it explodes on me. The gingerbread spice really comes out....and then I do smell the aquatic and leather notes. After a few minutes the gingerbread spice fades and I get water, wood, and leather.

Hmmm....this is not for me. Was hoping the aquatic note would not be this prominent, but on me it is. I think this would smell amazing on a guy, but not on this gal! :)

In the bottle - Ginger leather.

Wet - It’s more gingerbready now, and I’m getting maaaaaybe a touch of rum in the background.

Drydown - The gingerbread is stronger than the Jolly Roger, but that’s for the best. I’m not getting any wood or salt or rum. It’s a leather-gingerbread mix now. Getting smoother by the minute.

Verdict - I see how folks are getting a masculine vibe off this. It’s sexy, to be sure, and I’m sure I’d find it sexy on a guy, but I really like this for either gender. On me, it’s the gourmet version of Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf. Yum.

I love this one! The leather and aquatic notes dominate when wet, and I was initially worried it might be a bit too masculine. It really smelled to me like a high end men's cologne at that point, and I didn't know if I could get away with it or if I should pass it to my husband. However, it dries down to a much softer scent of mostly gingerbread woods with the leather more in the background...and it's gorgeous! So yes, I will be keeping this for myself! :wub2:

I have to agree with bneandsidhe's assessment of this blend. This is a great foody blend for non-foody lovers. I get warm gingerbread, hint of aquatic, hint of leather that isn't overwhelming. In general, it straddles the line between foody/nonfoody the same way that Star Promenade straddled that line as well as the cold/warm line.

For me, its cozy, slightly masculine and I am vaguely surprised on how well this works. It's lovely. I get an average wear length, but the throw sticks pretty close to the skin. Not in love, but certainly very glad to try this!

ETA: So in the bottle this is even more masculine than the tester I got. I swiped it on mr. zee_zee and he is really amping up the leather note. He gets a spicy leather, and its not his thing. I think its nice, but he doesn't care for it.

Edited by zankoku_zen

In Bottle: Gingerbread and leather dominant, and oh do they go well together. Bay rum is sexy support to the leather, with the woods in gentler support. This is less salty than in plain Jolly Roger in feel, the salt giving an edge to the gingerbread. Wet: The wood finds the salty gingerbread and does glorious things. The leather is still twined in a startlingly compelling embrace with the gingerbread. The Bay Rum really pops, the rum bringing out the sweet cakiness of the gingerbread. I’d call this gingerbread and rum dominant by about five minutes in. It is a masculine sexy sort of foody in feel. Dry: Mostly leather and sea spray.

I'm surprised by how much I love this - the initial idea of the combination sounded so bizarre, but when a friend had a bottle for swap, I was curious. I love both Gingerbread Snake, and Jolly Roger, but combining them seemed decidedly odd. Somehow though, it totally works!

In straight up Jolly Roger, I get all salty sea air, and a hint of driftwood, but in this there's so much more leather. Leather and salty sea air, and the gingerbread is just a hint of dry spice in the background warming it up. It's only the barest hint of foodie on me, very gender-neutral, with a slight masculine leaning, and I think it's sexy as hell!

This is such a compulsive-sniffer scent, I can't stop smelling it! It's definitely gonna be a summertime favourite, but with the gingerbread addition it's less purely sea-air summertime than JR alone. I really, really really love it! :wub3:

This was mainly all gingerbread in the bottle and on the skin. But in the dry down a little aquatic action starts to happen its salty like the sea and balances the sweetness of the gingerbread. It's kinda sexy in that way and would probably be delicious on my husband but he doesn't wear BPALs sadly. The label is adorable, but ultimately I will pass this one on because it's not a real ME scent but super fun and so glad I got to try it out! :)

dry, suede-y leather and a crack of gingerbread.   

like if a Gingerbread Man joined a biker gang.   there's a little something Whiff Lash-ish happening in the background, so maybe there's Irish Spring and greasepaint happening in the clubhouse of that biker gang?

This is the ginger from Shub paired with the leather and woods from Jolly Roger, but very little of the aquatic aspect of it (at least on me). In other words, it's one sexy gingerbread scent. And if you own Gingerbread and Leather, I think this is different enough from that because if I remember correctly, that one features a different gingerbread note and has a stronger leather that's accompanied by tobacco.

I like this, but I don't know how much I'd reach for it compared to other gingerbread scents. But I'll hang on to the bottle for this upcoming yuletide to find out!

ETA: I retested this one and get more of the aquatic aspect of Jolly Roger now with its leather and woods. It's more gingerbread-heavy in the beginning but becomes mostly Jolly Roger with some ginger by the end of the day. I didn't reach for this at all during the winter, so I'm thinking it should probably go to another home where it will be reached for and loved instead of just sitting neglected on a shelf... but it is nice.

Edited by doomsday_disco