Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snowballs of blue lilac, lotus root, Roman chamomile, sandalwood, and cade.

Wet this smells a lot like the top note of Blue Moons (like, the 2007 version in particular, not the classic one), then it veers right into wet but pretty lilac territory. After the very fresh, true to life lilac scent fades a touch, you can really smell the herbal push for the chamomile. I'm not getting frank cade from this (thank god!) but it may be adding a little bit more depth and sharpness to an otherwise initially floral blend. I then get both lotus root and petal, although that may be the lilac still playing tricks on me. While wet, it is very complicated, still very much lilac, without it being a very masculine scent. I would say this is a traditional strong floral.

On drydown it melds together and stays pretty true to form as a blustery, springtime lilac bush, hazy in the heat from the bees, with the fragrance dripping off the petals so strong you swear you can see the air around the bush dance and you temporarily lose your place as you get taken by the sheer presence of flowers.

Uh... well now.

So if you like lilacs you must try Glaucous Snow!

This starts out as a strong, vaguely soapy lilac with hints of a dry, grassy herb. It's very floral and clean in an expensive shower gel type of way rather than a generic white bar soap. Lilac can go "white floral" on me in that overpowering, heady perfumed manner but this is more sheer, like the lilac in His Station and Four Aces. Despite the slight soapiness it feels very natural and moist, like lilacs anchored in rich soil getting coated in rain. The herbal aspect reminds me of hay or a similar tall yellow grass. I think it's the chamomile that I'm smelling. It's dainty and feminine even though the overall tone of this feels unisex, evenly masculine to me.

The sandalwood adds a nice depth and a smooth, calming woodiness the only truly comes out on my skin after an hour or two. It's not a creamy, sweet sandalwood, but more of a brittle, dry, meditative version. I love it best in this phase as it smells so complex and earthy without being musky at all, and it's still shining with lilacs.

It's very charming and feels like an unusual yet perfect cold weather choice. I'm crazy for bpal's snow scents and while I don't get any sort of icy, snowy, or cold notes in this (which I swear I could pick out anywhere I have so many of them... I have more snow scents than any other type of bpal) it's still something I'm glad I chose.

The snowballs this year are all fantastic. That snow note is like a fluffy, vanilla cream underlayer in all three...so pretty and delicate. If you're on the fence because of the snow association, definitely give these a try because they don't telegraph cold and winter outright. It's very subtle and I will wear these snowballs all year long.

Glaucous Snow is like a light blue cloud. I had to look up cade—apparently it's a prickly juniper? Mostly what I get from this is blue lilac and cream, with a touch of lotus and chamomile. The lilac is kind of wondrous here, bringing its fierce assertion of sweetness and spring and renewal, like a floral outlier. The creaminess underneath reminds me a bit of Lush's Snowcake, a scent that I love. Definitely in the same blue fam as Blue Moon, although also its own creature altogether.

Also, this is a fantastic sleep scent. It's so soothing!

Fluffy snow, dreamy lilacs, hints of chamomile and cade. Oh god, I think I may in fact love this a bit. I think it would make an amazing room scent, a great candle scent, and great bath oil. I would love to scent my sheets with this. Low throw, average wearlength. I'm sort of glad that this sticks close to the skin because I can see this type of scent being very overpowering, soapy or old grandma.

It's crispy, cool florals. Agreed with LiberAmoris with the light blue cloud. It's a reminder that life (esp. flowers) are just sleeping under their current blanket of snow, and that once the moment is right, Spring is just around the corner!

Origin: Straight from the Post

Initial Thoughts: At first, the lotus root and cade put me off. And then the reviews came in speaking of cool lilac floral. So I added a bottle to my last-minute Yule/first-minute Luper order.

In the Bottle: Lilac with a strong note that is alternately herby and chilly.

Wet: Well, hello, lotus! I remember your faintly bubblegum adventures from other scents...can you let the other notes out to play?

Drydown: It seems to be settling down to a lilac with a sweet edge from the lotus. Definitely not as chilly on my skin as herby with the chamomile.

Verdict: Unsure. It's not the lilac explosion I was hoping for but it may grow on me.

Beautiful Calming scent. Opens with a lovely fresh lilac and chamomile. Drydown the cade comes out, and it’s a lot more herbaceous and aromatic. I get absolutely no sandalwood (which is a great thing in my book).

At first, snow and and something citrussy. No citrus noted, but that's what it smells like to me. Dry, smells like a baby. You know that newborn smell that babies have, well here it is. Soft floral, cuddly and comforting with a touch of herbal lavender. I may need more of this one.

In the bottle, I definitely get the "snow" note. It's amazing how something can be made to smell cold without actually being cold!

Wet on my skin this is all lilac, true lilac, like the bush beside my driveway. Just as I had hoped. Amazing.

This is light an sweet, one of the most beautiful florals I own. I am sure it will get a lot of wear in the Spring especially.

As one would expect, it's a very chilly scent. Oddly enough, I'm getting way more lotus than I am lilac. It's sweet and floral, but decidedly not like a fresh lilac bush for me. It does remind me of flowers that bloomed early before a big snow and are still managing to pop up through the drift. It's still spring florals, but I wouldn't peg it as lilac, sadly.