Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Arden Ivy

Frosty Silkybat Hair Gloss

Sugared patchouli, snowy vanilla, and snowflakes.

So I would name original Silkybat as not just my favorite HG, but quite possibly my favorite scent of all the BPAL/BPTP I have tried. So when I saw this, I knew I was grabbing a bottle.

In the bottle, it smells like Silkybat and something lemony, to my nose. I'm not familiar with the lab's snow scent, but that may be it. Once applied, it's mostly what I believe is a snow scent. Silkybat is there, but it is definitively under a pile of snow.

It's less sugared than Silkybat, to my nose. So I find this more reminiscent of snow and patchouli than anything else. I can tell it's related to Silkybat, but they are definitely more cousins than siblings to my nose. It's the snow smell that lingers in your nose when I take a whiff.

It's definitely pretty, but I don't know if I would reach for it when I have the original around. I would say it was probably my Silkybat expectations that are keeping me from full-on loving this. If you live for the Lab's snow note or haven't tried Silkybat, I can't imagine someone not liking this.

This is my first hair gloss and I love it. It smells like patchouli, snow and Jello instant pudding (something between vanilla and lemon flavors). I've never worn patchouli, so I don't have a good reference for this (in fact before smelling this, I knew I like patchouli, but had only smelled it with the normal mix or hippy smells). This smell good and earthy, with lots of snow.

This is pretty great. I know that some purists will argue, but I'd go so far as to say that this is *better* than the original Silkybat. I know! That seems somehow slanderous! But really, after a time, I felt totally okay about trading my bottle of Silkybat away and I can already tell you, this will NOT go into some random swap pile, no.

Perhaps because it's for the hair, the frost note, first of all, stays put, and doesn't amp to the heavens as they do in all perfumes on me. Second of all, there's this beautiful internally between the frost and the sugar with the patchouli that makes some moments almost seem...chocolately. I am strangely reminded, just a bit, go Therry Mugler's perfume Angel. This, too, has that sweet, deep sexiness that that scent has. But Frosty Silkbat is it's own thing, don't get me wrong.

Also, although my hair is shorter since the last time I procured a hair gloss, the second I put this on my chemically damaged ends I was reminded that even with shorter hair, it's quite nice to have some gloss around to smooth out all the rough edges.

I anticipate this being quite popular.

This smells like dirty snow, as in snow and dirt co-mingled, with a dusting of vanilla on top.

That may not sound great but it is. I'm not getting any of the lemon other reviewers are getting. And that's a good thing!

I anticipated that this hair gloss wouldn't be too complex so I could layer it with a variety of perfume oils.

This fits the bill quite nicely.

I love Silkybat with all my heart, and am not usually a fan of snow notes, but I had to take a chance on this one and ordered a bottle when it first went live. At first spray into my palms, I can definitely smell the beloved sugary patchouli of Silkybat, but with an initial hit of something not quite lemony, not quite minty, but cold enough to be frost. This is not the same note that gives Skadi its coldness, and that's the only wintry scent I've had any luck with. As this dries in my hair, the frosty note fades slightly, but so does the familiar Silkybat. This doesn't give off as much throw as the original sexy gal, but is more like her sweeter younger sister on the verge... fans of the original Silkybat shouldn't be disappointed, and those who wanted a lighter version, or who never had a chance to try Silkybat should try this one. For me, one bottle will be enough, as I prefer the stronger throw of the original version.

There's something about the snow note in this that reminds me of Winter Winds atmo from a few years ago. There's definitely Silkybat, but a softer version of it with a big plop of frost. It's not minty or ozone or lemony, but definitely in that slushy family. Maybe it's just my nose playing tricks, but I find there's a bit of berry in this as well.

I love this stuff!

This is definitely lighter and more innocent than Silkybat original. The patchouli is very faint, actually - I applied this on top of yesterday's straight Silkybat, but mostly what I smell is the vanilla and snow. It's not Snow White, but there's sort of a similar feel to both of them - snow and sweetness, lightly brushed with something else. I wish the patch were a bit stronger, but I'm happy to combo it with Silkybat to achieve that - and wear it on its own when I want a little bit of that goodness without worrying about other peoples' sensitivities.

If you're afraid of patchouli or generally find it overwhelming or reminiscent of dirty hippie... that's definitely not the case here.

Frosty Silkybat

I did not try the original Silkybat HG, so there is no point of comparison.

This is a gorgeous wintery scent!

It's soft and mellow but noticeable.

If patchouli isn't your thing (it's certainly not mine ^_^*) you can still try this and love it.

I think the snowy notes and vanilla give a perfect balance to the patchouli, and it probably helps significantly that the patchouli is 'sugared'

Excellent work BPTP & BPAL!!!

Be still my beating heart, Frosty Silkybat is gorgeous! There's a bright green freshness that jumps out, almost minty but not quite. It reminds me a little of how florist shops smell, that fresh green scent of cut stems. The patch and vanilla aren't identifiable independently to my nose, but form a creamy, slightly earthy sweetness to underpin that cool green top note. :wub3:

On top of all the great smells, the gloss makes my hair so freaking smooth and soft and shiny. Pure magic.

I have never smelled the original Silkybat HG but now that I have the Frosty Silkybat I must track down a bottle.

I really love the sugared patch and vanilla of the Silkybat, the snowflakes remind me of cotton and/or dryer sheets. Which is what I smell most on my hair. It kind reminds me of the cotton spray from Bath and Body Works. I am on the fence with this one, there are times when the snow note has calmed down that I like it but the mixture of all three is an odd mix.

However, the hair gloss leaves my hair silky and shiny and I am a big fan of BPTP HGs in general.

Lawd have mercy this is gorgeous...I thought Silkybat was amazing, I didn't really get how the snow stuff was going to go with the Silkybat, but yes, it goes. And it stays! I smell it in my hair hours later. So. Good. Trust me, you need 3 bottles.

Edit!!! I am not one of those people who regularly says, oh I put a drop of this on and I still smell it after two showers...I am a notorious slathering oil-eater, who regularly says, huh, can't smell this one at all, BUT...two days later and I can still smell the snow note of this in my hair...gosh it's awesome.

Edited by stellamaris

I'm so happy with Frosted Silkybat—the snow note isn't one that's historically great on my skin, although I like it in the air (in atmo sprays and oil burners). I love the creamy fluffy snow note in the snowballs, but that's really different than the snow note here, which is the classic, slightly ozoney, minty/lemony accord that smells like cold air. And that's the one that's always better off my skin than on it. So having it in a hair gloss is pretty much the best, as I can smell it in the air around me, but it's not on my skin where I'd amp it to high heaven.

This smells like piles of fluffy white snow and a shadow of sugared patchouli. The patchouli is much lighter here than in Silkybat proper, as it's mixed in with all the snow. As the day goes on, I get more patchouli—it deepens and darkens a bit. I'm so glad to have a snowy hair gloss to wear this winter! Definitely a nice twist on my beloved Silkybat.

As a die hard fan of the original Silkybat, I'm finding it hard to be full-on in love with this version. To me the original was perfection :wink:

I really don't get much patchouli from this. (Patchouli haters should absolutely try this!) Fresh sprayed I get a scent very close to Angel/Alien...which I believe would be from the "snow" element? It's fresh..and I agree with the "florist-shop" comparison also. At first it amps very strongly, but an hour later I don't smell it anymore (although I have gotten compliments on it so it's obviously still there).

I'll probably keep the bottle, but won't be ordering another. It's a bit too girly/sweet for me, but I can see it having a lot of fans.

this is my first HairGloss I've ever tried. LOVE IT! I spray it on when my hair is wet to help detangle without breaking my fine hair. But then when it is dry and I move my head and smell this divine scent! HEAVEN! I may need MORE of this one!

I can offer both a comparison to the original Silkybat, which I definitely liked alot but ultimately ended destashing because it was such a heavy, dark scent (perfect for autumn and winter, but less wearable in lighter months to me).

Frosty Silkybat has that icy, snow note that softens the original Silkybat formulation. The patchouli isn't as dominant. So you get this lighter version of Silkybat. Still that sexy patch, but lighter, and for me, it gives a sort of "Snow Bunny" sort of vibe. The original Silkybat was full on vamp, with its dark sexy patchouli. Frostybat is much more playful, and less full frontal assault ;)

I find Frosty Silkybat much more wearable and versatile, because sometimes you don't want to be full on vamp - particularly if you're working in an office and/or commuting with strangers. I also admit to a weakness to snow notes, so this to me grants an additional dimension to Silkybat that it didn't have before.

I was on the fence about Frosty Silkybat 'cause I'm generally not into snow notes, but I missed the original and I figured this must be the next-best thing.

It is definitely snowy. I sprayed it on my hands first and it smelled very medicinal--almost like eucalyptus & menthol. (I think it was snow + patchouli.) I almost didn't try it on my hair 'cause I didn't care to smell like I hadn't washed off last night's Vick's VapoRub. In my hair, it's very much the Lab's snowy note. Sort of pine-eucalyptus and that bright, almost-lemony tang? I'm not in love with this, but I also don't hate it. I wish I got more vanilla and patchouli, but maybe that will come with age?

I like silkybat and I do like bpal's snow notes. this combines all of the above quite nicely. the scent is light to my nose, as is silkybat. it's mostly the frost and snow that stand out, with the bat very much in the background. not much throw and fades sooner than hg's like IBT, smutty goblin. this is a good one when a subtle scented gloss is needed.

I had to try this one based on all the love for the original Silkybat even though it's very hard for me to find a patchouli I can wear. I was not disappointed. I don't know if it's because this isn't a perfume oil or if it's the snow/sugar notes but the patchouli totally behaves itself in this rather than turning into a foul smelling mess. It's wonderfully spicy but softened by the snow and sugar notes. I haven't tried it in my hair yet, I just sprayed some on my arm to test it but I really like it.

I was unsure about this in the bottle, there's something almost eucalyptusy-leathery, but once sprayed (testing on my hand for now) it dies down into more of a snowy note. And actually, I find this strangely masculine, which was a pleasant surprise - it reminds me a lot of Doc Constantine's Medicine Show linen spray, but with wintery overtones. Really really sexy comforting boysmell with a bit of sweetness and a tiny hint of snowy pine :) (which is lovely, but very strange with the listed notes, it doesn't smell at all earthy patchouli-y, or very vanilla-y, they seem to balance each other out into something totally different...)

I can't imagine I'll be spraying this in my extensions, because it just smells too masculine for swishy girly hair, but it will definitely be used as body oil whenever I'm going out in boy mode :D

I wasn't a huuuuge fan of the Silkybat hair gloss. I like it well enough, but it wasn't what I was expecting. The frost note here makes this gloss uber masculine. I *really* like it, but probably more on a guy. As this scent is right now, I would never wear it being as masculine as it is. On the positive, I can't smell it when it's dry anyways.

Snowy patch is what I sniff from the cap. This is the icy ozone snow note, not the sweet snow note or the minty snow note (the fear of the latter was the only thing keeping from ordering a bottle the moment the update went live). On my hair, it is mostly the icy snow note, a gentle patch, and just a hint of sugar and vanilla. This is a great snowy hair gloss for winter-time. :)

In the bottle this is a super creamy sweet sugar patch, and dry I get beautiful whiffs of sweet dusty and soft well blended clouds of cocoa-y yum fluff. But...When this hits my hair, and in the wet phase the lemon turns into a weird sour cat pee smell :cry2: I'm hoping this is just a time of month thing, but I'm kinda worried. I'll probably swap cos I don't wanna smell like pee, but I love the dry phase so I'm torn.

Edited by somacat

Oh, I was so hoping this would work for me. Patchouli just really isn't for me, though. The gloss smells nice, I just wish the other notes were stronger. Or that I was less tuned-in to the smell of patchouli so that I could appreciate them better.

Edited by Hattress

Immediately when I smelled this, it brought me back to a yule long since passed, The Darkling Thrush.

Upon first spritz, the ozone is definitely amping but within a minute or two you have this really pretty warm vanilla/dirt/patchouli thing going on, and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. :)

Silkybat is hands down my favorite HG so far! So when this came out it was an instant bottle buy. BUT this isn't like my Silkybat at all. Well in the sense that it is very lightly scented and Silkybat is pretty strong. Also I barely smell the patchouli and sugaredness which is what I love about Silkybat. In this it's a soft vanilla with a strong ozone scent which I really don't like. It shows up in some snow or frost scents. It doesn't usually work for me and it didn't here either. I guess I was hoping for Silkybat with a little bit of sweet mint added but that's not what I got. Adorable label on the bottle though! ;)