Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Frosted gingerbread, leather, pipe tobacco, and fruitcake crumbs.

Gingerbread man wearing a leather jacket. This brings to mind the most hilariously adorable images to mind. The leather is a bit strong in this right now, but I think it is going to age wonderfully!

I don't get any tobacco at all.

When I first put this on my skin it was really strong leather. The Gingerbread started coming through as it dried and I got a big whiff of cinnamon ( I think, but I got no skin reaction so maybe not). There was also a smokey kind of note, almost like a wood fire or something. The last note to appear were the fruitcake crumbs. I couldn't identify any tobacco, unless that was the wood fire smell, somehow. I think this scent is weirdly cozy, maybe because it evoked memories of being in my grandparents' kitchen with the wood stove going while my mom and grandmother made Christmas cookies and such. The leather note added a note I associate with saddle leather and leather work gloves (Grandfather bringing the wood in from the woodpile).

It disappeared pretty fast on me and I'm hoping letting it age will help with that. Yule Buddies is a strange sort of scent but seems perfect for Christmas time!

Edit: I should add that it doesn't smell like cookies and the gingerbread doesn't seem as strong to me as Gingerbread Snake or Shub. This isn't a foodie scent, to my nose. It's more atmospheric, sort of like Le Pere Fouettard, if that makes sense.

Edited by fiddlehead

This blend just makes me happy!!!

I have worn it a few times now, and it seems to have reasonable throw and longevity on my skin. The leather is definitely there, but it mellows a lot after about an hour. The gingerbread and fruitcake notes make it Christmas-ey without being "holiday candle" or too overtly foody. It's a fun, warm, festive blend that I will be wearing often this holiday season.

I love this scent. It's an odd one, though. It smells like nothing much in the bottle to my nose. Something sharp - hay, maybe? And some other notes I can't really identify, all very disparate. But it warms up so nicely, everything coming together. And it morphs as it wears. I reminds me of what I think a Victorian Gentleman's Parlor might smell like, with highback leather chairs and very high quality pipe tobacco. Then the gingerbread/fruitcake wafts in, but just enough to provide atmosphere, not enough to take this anywhere near the "food-y" category. If it smelled like this in the bottle I'd say it would make an amazing atmo spray. As it is, I think this probably the most classically masculine BPAL scent I've come across (granted, my experience is limited), and I'd be tempted to glue my nose to the neck of nearly any man wearing it. That said, I do like it on myself, too. I keep sniffing my wrists, enjoying the cozy and complicated smell.

On my skin, this is pure tobacco. Sweet and tangy, but def smells like the inside of an unlit pipe.

On my hair, the gingerbread comes out, and it becomes a spicey sweet mix. Hoping the fruitcake will show a bit more with age, but right now it's amazing!

These are buds I want to hang out with.

Just as advertised. I smell all of the notes, and the combination is unexpected but kind of wonderful in Yule Buddies. Leather and frosted gingerbread...not two notes that I'd imagine would harmonize. And yet, they work. This is definitely not just leather and pipe tobacco on me—it's both of those if they careened and crashed into gingerbread and fruitcake. Perfectly Yule and fun and festive.

Hmmm......this is good, I think! :)

Sniff in bottle: I get a spicy leather....probably the gingerbread, but it isn't like other scents I have smelled with gingerbread in them!

On Skin: The gingerbread immediately comes out on me, mingled with the leather. It is a nice, manly leather, but not a lot of throw on me.

Dry down: I think I detect the fruitcake notes...very pale, but I guess it is only crumbs! :) I too do not get any tobacco from this....just gingerbread and leather. Kind of close to Gingerbread Jolly Roger (to my nose) but no aquatic notes of course. Not sure how I feel about this one. It's an iffy! :)

At first...this was delicious cookies with a hint of tobacco from a pipe. Then the turns into a sickly sweet cookie with a burning pipe on top of it. Not a fan.

Tested on the fella*

woo! The smell in the decant is strong! definitely leather and something kinda metallic?

wet on him: Ok, there's the gingerbread, and there's some leather in the background, not getting the pipe smoke.

dry: all gingerbread, too foodie for him.

Lovely and festive! Gingerbread is usually a fail on me, but here it plays nicely- maybe it's the frosting? Wet, the gingerbread with a hint of fruit is the main note, but on the drydown it's pretty much 50/50 gingerbread & leather. I think the fruitcake and tobacco are there, but they're supporting the other two notes. The gingerbread threatens to make this too sweet (I amp sweet), but the leather mostly holds it in check, thank goodness. If you like your leather mixed with unexpected notes, you will like this.

Gingerbread, tobacco and just a whiff of leather. This is like Gingerbread Jolly Roger - but less leather and less aquatic. But its in that same vein.

If Gingerbread Jolly Roger was too much for you, give this a whirl.

Masculine, gingerbread, tobacco.

In Bottle: Heavenly. Leather is dominant, but twines beautifully with a strong gingerbread note and it’s candied fruit dominant fruitcake crumbs. The tobacco is particularly rich and ties it all together, but really, the combination of the leather and baked goods elements is heady and resplendent. I want to smell like this. Wet: Ginger moves into dominant position, with the leather second. Cake supports ginger; tobacco supports leather. I still really like it, but it is not as compelling on my skin as it was in the imp. I can’t tell you why ginger leather isn’t as exciting and leather/gingerbread fruitcake, but it isn’t, somehow it is thinner on my skin instead of rich and bright in the imp. Dry: Candied fruit over tobacco.

Toasty spices and lovely pipe tobacco. I'm not sure why the Lab doesn't use more of the pipe tobacco note, its glorious. Really nice and spicy pipe tobacco with a touch of musk. I'd like more, but with vanilla and less spice. I think it would be my HG scent..

This is a wonderfully dark gingerbread-leather!

After a while a little bit of the fruit comes out, but I don't get any tobacco, which is fine with me.

A great Yule scent, also if you like more masculine scents.

Yule Buds on me started out smoky tobacco and light leather. As it dried down a strange "fruit" note appeared but not sure what type of fruit. Maybe light orange jelly. The scent overall had a light presence but good staying power, got maybe 5 hours out of it. Also love the label. Very cute.

Holy cinnamon, Batman! I love this one, but it's pure cinnamon on me, and stays that way, in, and out of the bottle..

Edit: So... I brought this out of hiding a year later, and on skin .. still pure screaming cinnamon all day long ... however, I put some on a clean piece of cloth .. and immediately got the gingerbread icing instead, and ZERO cinnamon!! So I need to wear this in a scent locket to get my beloved gingerbread..

Edited by tauntonlake

On me, Yule Buddies is that gingerbread man wearing a leather jacket but also smoking a pipe stuffed with cherry tobacco.  It has decent wear length on me.  Cozy, sexy, total win.  I love this!!!

The pipe tobacco, leather, and gingerbread are the strongest notes out of the gate, with just a bit of sweetness added from the fruitcake crumbs. Unfortunately, this goes funky on me in a way similar to Gingerbread and Lemon Sugar when I first got it, and it just smells all kinds of wrong on me. I'm not sure if it is the ginger, tobacco, or both, but it is tangy and overwhelming. :( I'm glad I got to try it, but I'd recommend Gingerbread and Leather over this one.