Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gingerbread with amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Absolutely stunning.

I actually tried this on blind - unbelievably, I forgot what I ended up ordering for Yule this year. I retrieved my order from a dark mailbox, grabbed a bottle at random and applied before driving off to the mall. I had NO idea what it could be but it smelled absolutely incredible and so I couldn't wait to get to a lighted parking lot and see that I had applied... Gingerbread Sin.

I was stunned because the ginger in this is so cool and refined on me, unlike last year's much warmer Gingerbread Snake. This smells like a sophisticated, classy, expensive perfume (yet it's cuddly at the same time.) I could see this in an elaborate crystal bottle. While I can smell hints of Sin in it, this doesn't come off as a hybrid of Sin and Gingerbread but rather an entirely new scent. Patchouli always makes me nervous but it's barely detectable here. Probably the strongest note on me is the amber, which warms it up a little eventually. Otherwise it stays the same, no morphing.

I imagine this is going to be wildly popular and would encourage anyone on the fence to get a bottle. It's probably one of my favorite BPALs of all time.

I love all the gingerbread mash-ups, and I love Sin, so this was an immediate, no-holds-barred Yule purchase. And gingerbread is so good with Sin! I definitely smell both parts, but Gingerbread Sin is more than the sum of its parts, just as Nepthys says.

Wet, it smells like fancy, fancy gingerbread—gingerbread with depth and dark sweetness, caramelized patchouli and amber, an undertone of sandalwood and a hit of cinnamon. Dry, this is Sin with ginger shot through it...and it's fantastic. If you like Sin, and you like ginger, don't miss this one!

So I smell like a sexy Christmas cookie.

Sin is lovely, but it never warms on me exactly as I expect it to. Gingerbread Sin? Perfect. Spicy and sweet - even a little buttery! - golden and warm from the amber, with a little woodsy note floating behind the spices from the patchouli.

I love it and it smells just like I would imagine I should at Christmas time.

I love me some Sin. It's such a rich, warm, don't-eff-with-me scent. Yet, despite its attitude and swagger, it's not a strong scent, at least not on me. It always dries down quite light and very much becomes a second-skin scent, which is right up my alley.

Gingerbread Sin is no exception. It has the same light drydown, which makes me happy. BPAL's gingerbread note is always a bit strong and bread-y at first, but it always dries down to gingerbread spices. So this ends up being Sin + faint gingerbread spices. I'm more than okay with that. It's Sin made festive and spicier.

Gingerbread goes great with so many BPALs. Gingerbread all the things, Beth. Gingerbread all the things.

Very gingery when first applied. Super spicy and lovely and warm. Drying down is more of the same except the ginger and slice start to calm down, plus a bit of patchouli and amber. The cinnamon just blends in with the gingerbread spices. Amber usually goes a little powdery on me and I can sense this blend leaning that way, but the other notes keep it in check. Overall it's spicy and comforting and kinda sexy.

Heads up: the cinnamon in this was a little tingly when wet, if you're sensitive to it.

Edited to add: this is one of the only scents I've considered buying a backup of (the only other one being Saw Scaled Viper). I'm NOT a backup girl, but I've worn this three times in the last week and I might need another bottle.

Edited by poofie

In the imp, I'm getting the cinnamon and patchouli with a bit of the gingerbread in there too. I'm a bit wary of this one, as I'm beginning to realize sandalwood doesn't work well on me. On, while wet, still about the same - some of the amber is making itself known I think, but not in a powdery way.

Oooh, as this is drying it is very good! Definitely smells like a perfume (not like a food), with the gingerbread scent seamlessly blending into it, and none of the notes really standing out alone. Even the patchouli is just blending in, not being dirty or smelling like pencil shavings or anything, just adding to the combined warm spicy scent. The sandalwood is even behaving, thankfully.

It doesn't really smell like Tanin'Iver or Mme. Moriarty, but it's like it belongs in that family, somehow. It's not fruity at all, but has a warm heaviness to it, though it's lightening in feel (and sweetening) as it develops. It's like gingerbread with extra sexiness. I like this one a lot!

This is one of the most amazing oils i have ever smelled. I love Sin, but this is a less patchouli/sandalwood Sin...so the Cinnamon and Amber mix with the gingerbread in the most wonderful way. If you love Sin and gingerbread, this is a no brainer. If you thought the patchouli or sandalwood were too much in Sin, give this one a whirl. Multiple bottles needed.

ETA 20 Nov. 2020: This has aged beautifully. The gingerbread is most prominent for the first 15 minutes (with some cinnamon and patchouli peeking through) and then the gingerbread almost completely disappears and Sin is left, lovely as ever. Another favorite.

Edited by HerbGirl

Lives up to the hype.

Sexy christmas cookie is dead on. The wet, dry, and throw are all A+. This is the smell I wanted to wear Christmas day. Warm, spicy, sweet, everything I could have hoped for. I forgot how good, big, and 3D Gingerbread could be. This is full and mmmmm, hours later my nose is still glued to my wrist.

NEED a big bottle.

Edit: After a little more nose education (ie I tried The Lion) I know what that DELICIOUS smell is. Cinnamon AMBER, you the REAL MVP. This is a match made in heaven, I can not contain my enthusiasm about this scent.

Edited by unxolve

Yes indeed, this is Gingerbread. And Sin. Totally winning.

It did disappear like poof on me though, sigh. Might need some old aging. I still go for Gingerbread Snake or Poppet before this one, we'll just push it to the back of the shelf and let it mature.

and...a year later...

Well. Can I just say that I am wearing the hell out of this one now? Strangely it smells like a Snake to me, but deeper, richer. It's awesome. I think if I had known how incredible these Gingerbreads would end up I would have bought all of them...love love love

Edited by stellamaris

Gingerbread, patchouli, cinnamon on a bed of amber. Yes, this is the gingerbread version of Sin. If you ever wanted Sin to be spicier, and foodier, you got your wish.

This is just a better version of Gingerbread, as a perfume. For me, Gingerbread Poppet was always too foodie to wear as a perfume. This straddles that foodie/perfume line. Assuming of course, that you like patchouli. Or Sin.

Gingerbread, patchouli, amber.

Yes, yes, yes. This is just what I wanted it to be - yummy Sin with just enough gingerbread to make it spicy and festive. A sweet, warming blend that I shall be needing more of.

Yes! I have been trying lots of the Yule gingerbread scents and this is the first one that has really pleased me. Sweet, spicy, yummy gingerbread and patch. Nice amount of cinnamon in there too.

In the imp: Just what it says: Sin plus gingerbread. I do smell more sandalwood than in Sin.

Unlike last year’s Gingerbread Snake, which to my nose is a completely different animal from Snake Oil, in Gingerbread Sin I can smell both components. This is still not a foody blend, though; the sandalwood and patchouli prevent that.

It’s predominately sandalwood and cinnamon with gingerbread spices for about the first hour; then the patchouli becomes stronger, though it never overpowers the other notes.

One big plus is that the cinnamon in Gingerbread Sin, unlike that in original Sin, doesn’t irritate my skin when fresh.

This is warm, resinous, and delicious. I have ordered a bottle.

Depending on where I apply, Gingerbread Sin can be a gingerbread single note (throat and behind the ears), or predominantly cinnamon with hints of sandalwood and gingerbread (inner wrists and inside elbows), or mostly sandalwood with a hint of cinnamon (back of my hand). There's not as much throw as I expected, but that's okay for work, for snuggling indoors on a cold night, or for a family holiday gathering. She is Gingerbread Snake's drier sister, maybe a fraternal twin. I think she'll age well, but she's similar enough to Gingerbread Snake on me that I don't think I need more than this one bottle.

Like regular Sin, I don't get a lot of patchouli, and I wish I did for both. This is just a more spice heavy Sin. It's much like the other spice ridden blends of Weenies and Yules that I like to smell occasionally in cooler weather. Don't need anymore, but I'd really like to try aged Sin to see if it's less spicy.

these gingerbread scents are killing me. i wish i'd bought them all. sin is perfect to combine with ginerbread- the result is warm and ultra-spicy, grounded with a little bit of patchouli. i will wear this a lot in the winter months!

Guh.

This is just...guh. *wipes drool from face*

So! The normal Sin oil is an awesome smell, but it fades after about 5 minutes on my skin. :( However, the addition of the gingerbread note increases the staying power by about ten thousand percent!

As for what it smells like, picture the following:

You are in your kitchen. It's winter and the snow outside is causing your poor tummy to crave gingerbread-y goodness. So you've whipped up a nice batch of gingerbread, pulled it out of the oven, and have given it time to cool. Now, you slather on just a hint of icing (spiced with an extra touch of ginger). You look at your creation and think "Hm, this looks good but it's still missing something." In a fit of inspiration, you add a few crumbs of golden amber and take a small bite. It's good, but not quite perfect. So, you add a generous dollop of sandalwood for creaminess, a smattering of peppery black patchouli for zing, and you top the whole thing off with a dash of cinnamon. You lick your lips, cut off a piece and taste it. Mmmm, the gooeyness of the gingerbread mixing with the spices is heaven and sin all at once. Before you know it, you've eaten the whole pan of gingerbread and you're wondering how quickly you can make another batch!

(As another example of how good this is, one of my more...crass...coworkers smelled this on me and said that I "smelled like an "O" face from a movie would smell. I chose to take that as a compliment.)

Edited by protoomega

A sweeter Sin with even more spices and a warm, baked cookie tone to it (almost caramelized and burnt smelling around the edges). Dries down to cinnamon sugar with a tiny hint of patchouli. I think there's too much spice in this for me.

Initially a blast of gingerbread, lots of baked goods. Sin comes out more the longer I wear it and plays really well with the gingerbread. It fades to a spicier Sin with a little kick from the ginger. Really pretty and long lasting.