Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cherrycherry

Strawberry Sufganiyot

A sugar-dusted pile of sufganiyot, trickling bright rivulets of strawberry jelly.

Dang this stuff is so good .

You know those balls of fried dough dipped in powdered sugar that you can get from Chinese restuarants? It smells exactly like that to my nose, only imagine that they're filled with delicious warm strawberry jelly.

Yum yum. :wub2:

I've now tested Strawberry Sufganiyot twice, with the same results. At first, it's wet juicy strawberry syrup or jam. This intensely "wet" aspect fades quickly on me, which is a bit of a bummer because that's the part that really reminds me of the jelly in a donut. It morphs into the bake-y scent of the donut and a more dried strawberry. The thing it reminds me most of is the strawberries and cream oatmeal I loved as a kid. So it's really nostalgic! I just wish my skin weren't flattening/drying out that strawberry note. There are occasional hints of the wetter strawberry, of the burnt scent I sometimes get from gourmand blends, and maybe the tiniest, subtlest bit of cinnamon? I feel like it might be in there, providing some extra "flavor" to the donut.

This is nice, and again it's really nostalgic, but I don't think it reaches its full potential on my particular skin. Quite possibly a keeper anyway though.

I knew that this one would probably not work on me, being a non foody perfume wearer.... Immediately this reminds me of those strawberry ice cream bars that you can get from the ice cream truck with the crumble coating. This smells EXACTLY how those taste, and even though I consider it a 'fake' strawberry, it is still good. I'm going to want one of those bars pretty soon....

The 2007 version of Beaver Moon and Very Pink Surprise Cake are both favorites of mine, so I was pretty excited for strawberry doughnuts after reading the reviews. And at first it was a pretty great strawberry scent and I thought I might need some.

But alas, then it dried down, and this bready grainy scent came out. I was wandering around will call trying to think of why it smelled so familiar, and commented it was making me think of a granola bar or something. Someone standing nearby gave my arm a sniff and said "yeah, it smells like a NutriGrain bar." And that was it, exactly. My stepmom always used to have those, the whole grain bar with the fruit filling inside, and once this dries it smells dead on to a NutriGrain bar.

Welp, I like to smell like cake, but I don't like the grainy/bready scents, and I definitely don't want to smell like a NutriGrain bar. So this one turned out to not be for me, and I mourn the strawberry doughnut that never was.

i always say that i am NOT a foodie scent person but then every once in a while something comes along that i just have to have anyway. THIS IS IT.

strawberry sufganiyot is the most spot-on, accurate, true-to-life, DELICIOUS foodie perfume i have ever tried. it is unbelievably accurate and it is actually kind of dangerous to wear because it makes me REALLY WANT A DONUT.

last month, i had the most delicious strawberry paczki from our local donut shop (i had never eaten one before because i am leery of jelly-type donuts... but this was a HIGH-QUALITY DONUT, like seriously) and this smells 100% exactly like that tasted. it's scary. I LOVE IT.

My favorite Yule and one of my favorite BPALs ever. Should be a TAL with its sheer ability to put a smile on my face. Strawberry jelly donut, dusted with powdered sugar. Amazingly realistic. Tooth-achingly sweet. You can really smell all of the components -- the fresh-baked yeast donut, the blood-red filling, the white dusting of sugar. Amazing, and such a happy, fun scent.

This is pure strawberry jelly doughnuts coated in sugar, just as I hoped. It's actually WAY better than expected.

The throw is great- not too strong, but I'm in a definitely in a happy little cloud of strawberry sweetness.

As a note, I usually can't do foodies, but this one works great on me.

In the bottle it’s pure strawberry, like someone just poured strawberry jelly into the bottle. As soon as I put it on it changed. Much less strawberry, more like a doughnut with just the lightest hint of strawberry. Dried down, it has almost no throw, but few things do on me. It’s all doughnut and sugar and just the faintest hint of strawberry. It’s really making me want to go to a bakery and pick up jelly filled doughnuts.

Strawberry jelly filled donut. Reminds me of Golletes and Zombie Apocalypse. Super-sweet strawberry jam and a hint of pastry and powdered sugar.

♔ Strawberry Sufganiyot

In the Bottle: Hnngggg sugar powdered strawberry jelly filling.

Wet: Oh fuck me. This is all fried donut with powdered sugar and rich, gooey, strawberry jam filling in the centre. The donut note reminds me of a more buttery, fried funnel cake note to Midway. On application, the fried donut note fades into a subtle sweet fried pastry, and I get this sensational explosion of rich strawberry jam filling accompanied by a powdered sugar top. The strawberry is very distinct.. it’s not fresh strawberry from Strawberry Moon, it’s not candied strawberry, like Battle Fairy in Training or White Chocolate & Strawberry… it’s not even the same strawberry sugar note I get from L’Essence de L’Engouement, which to be fair is like fresh, sour strawberries sprinkled with dusting sugar. It’s the rich, sticky and jammy strawberry I get from The Instruction Manual. It’s ..so… fucking… good. I know I believe I’ve moved on from foodie scents, but I will ALWAYS appreciate smelling like desserts….*ALWAYS*….it is a guilty indulgence on my scent profile and one I’m still furiously trying to deny ._.

Drydown: It stays , rich, sticky, jammy and true. The powdered sugar smells like its forever piled on top of the donut, almost covered the smell of the actual fried dough. It’s heavenly… sinful… really fucking indulgent.

TL;DR: Rich, sticky, jammy strawberry jelly/jam filling buried under a powdered sugar top and a bit of sweet fried dough pastry.

Edited by celestia

Wet: Delicious, omg. One of the yummiest things I have ever smelled. It smells EXACTLY like freshly fried donut, complete with gooey jelly and powdered sugar. It's so so good. YUM.

Dry: Same. No morphing, Doesn't go "stale" or plastic the way some gourmand scents do on me. It's glorious. I am veering more and more away from gourmand scents, but this one is a keeper!

Wet: Straight up strawberry jelly-filled donut. You can smell the jammy strawberry, and the pastry/donut note. Yum!

Dry: Almost identical to the wet stage, only sweeter! A sweet strawberry-jelly filled donut. Spot on, and delicious smelling.

Out of all 3 (current) sufganiyots, this is my favorite.

ok, i saw someone’s comment that said this smells like a nutrigrain bar, and now i can’t un-smell that. 😂 that’s pretty accurate, i always thought it smelled like a strawberry pop tart, but nutrigrain bar might be more correct!

I should preface this with I have never had a sufganiyot, but I have had jelly filled donuts, and ALSO I'm reviewing in 2023 so this decant is well aged.

Wet: strawberry waffles? Strawberry gram crackers? Strawberry stoop waffle!

The strawberry is a sweet candy strawberry but it's dominated by the spiced baked good smell that reminds me most strongly of stoop waffles. Thin, golden, crunchy waffle thins spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg with a little honey.

OR! a strawberry fig newton (just a hint of fig?) Gets more gram cracker-like as it dries down. There is a powdery quality to it some may interpret as powdered sugar.

Very foodie and cheerful, but not at all donut like.