Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ordo_ad_Chao

Hans Trapp

Tattered leather, dry straw, matted hair, sharpened sticks, and a bundle of switches.

The leather-lover in me just fainted dead away. It kind of reminds me of Captain Cully a little. a soft and woodsy suede.

It reminds me more of my dad. I finally found my blend that is exactly my reminder of dad smell. This smells like his sunday suede jacket that he kept hung in the closet with a block of sandalwood in the hanger and cedar on the shelf above with his ties. So the fact that this is a "Dad" smell inherently means leather and wood- which is freaking delicious!

Saint germain smells like his skin+aftershave. So the two (which I just had to smell together right now) are exactly the smell I remember from cuddling up against him and dozing off with his arm around me during sermons on sundays growing up.

I don't see myself wearing this all the time because I don't necessarily want to pull out that scent memory on a daily basis, but I will not ever be giving this up. There will forever be a decant of this in my box of treasured memories in smell.

This does smell a little bit like Captain Cully in the wet stages actually.

Dry down though it smells so nice and a little warm. A bit of cedar with a ton of leather and a big bundle of hay. It kind of has this same note that Tattie Bogle has in it and I can't quite place it. Maybe the "sun baked wood" note in that fragrance or just this really breezy quality about it. It doesn't smell Yule to me at all and instead it feels very much Autumn. I have no problem with that and will put my decant away until next season. (:

I was looking forward to a good leather scent, but unfortunately it's a little TOO much leather for my tastes. It swamps everything in the scent and comes out as a very dry, slightly acrid leather :(

But I'm sure someone who loves leather more than me will be very pleased with this! It has much more leatheriness going on than, say, Le Pere Fouettard, which had a similar concept.

UNF THIS IS GORGEOUS.

It's that gorgeous hay? sunlight? *something* note from Tattie Bogle, but mixed heavily with warm leather, and, on the drydown, wood. It's fairly masculine, a bit cologne-y, and very sexy. I already have a bottle of Tattie, but I'm seriously considering picking up a bottle of this because the leather just makes it that much better.

Whenever I get decant batches there's always the one or two I throw in there because they sound interesting, but I don't expect much from them. This was one of them, and of course it turned out to be my surprise winner. <3

(This is also delightful layered with Butter Rum Cookie)

In bottle: This is one of the more worn and buttery leather notes. It is strongly dominant, but the leather smells like it would be soft to the touch, if that makes sense. The wood notes are unusual and good support to the leather. The straw and hair work together with the hair being vaguely alarming. I’d actually call the straw about coequal with the woods, with the hair being an accent more than a stand alone. Wet: The hair is stronger on the skin, lending the dominant leather a vaguely rotting air. The woods are second strongest, with the straw fading to background. I think it was more interesting in the bottle. Dry: Mostly leather, more hair than I’d like, touches of wood.

Worrn black leather, with the impression that the leather is very soft and very worn in. A fair amount of woods and birch. On the drydown, it gets very dusty. I majorly amp up the leather note. So MONDO throw, and very good wear length.

That said, mr. zee_zee sat down next to me last night, wrinkled his nose and told me I smelled like crystal phenol. Given that it was the leather note that I was amping, he really doesn't like what the BPAL leather note does to my skin. Or what my skin does to it. So this poor imp is going to have to life with someone else.

This is pure leather, but it's actually a fresher, softer leather than I expected. It smells like a leather store or whole lambskins, as opposed to a worn-in old garment. Sweet, supple, and almost green in a way?

I have a lot of leather scents so I can't decide if this one is a keeper imp or not, but it's definitely for leather lovers.

I'm surprised this one isn't getting more love. Right off, rich brown leather, soft and worn. After a bit, musks and woods. This one is one of those blends that smells different from a distance. You're thinking...what is that amazing smell, it's a floral, feminine leather, not unlike Clockwork Couture female, or Liz. Up close, it is more masculine, like Crowley's brother. So a mish mash of amazing notes to create two different scents...I'd like to have more, but fundage does not allow it at this time.

P1130116.JPG

I'm happy to have received this, as I was pining to give the evil-Yules an olfactory whirl!

Off the bat, in the bottle, Hans Trapp reminds me of peppermint toothpicks. (little sharpened sticks!)

As it unpacks itself on the skin, it settles into a very worn leather scent, dusty from years of use, with the Alpines still clinging to its surface. It's sooty, and dry, with just a whisper of twiggy birch woods—like stumbling into an abandoned wooden cabin in a mountain retreat. It's a keeper!

This is all new, black leather on me, though it starts to smell a bit harsh in the drydown (not in a bad way, but like the new leather has sun baked into a hard, cracked black leather) with a hint of tarry smokiness. Not my favorite leather, but I have kept my decant of this one, and I like it.

So, shortly after I applied Hans Trapp, my husband walked into the room and asked what that musty smell was. Not really an auspicious beginning, though apparently it does have some throw :rolleyes2:. *I* like this one, though, and so does my friend Lenore, who saw me smelling my wrist as we were walking around the lake a couple hours later and asked to sniff it. It's a lot of leather and some dusty woods. I have Doc Constantine on the other wrist which adds smoke and cedar; Hans Trapp is more leather and I'm thinking the dusty note may be hay. Or matted hair, who knows? Much nicer than either the description or my husband's reaction. It goes strong for about two and a half hours on me then fades away quickly after that.