Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
miss_rynn

Chocolate Stout Cupcake

Bittersweet chocolate cupcakes whisked with stout and topped with inky dark chocolate frosting.

oh, chocolate stout cupcake, what a magical thing you are.

in the bottle and just applied, this smells exactly like fudgy chocolate ganache. this is a very dark and very effective chocolate smell. most foodie bpals do not actually make me hungry, but this one instills an instant and absurdly strong craving for dark,moist, thickly-frosted chocolate cake.

as it dries a deep malty richness comes forward from the stout. there's a touch of vanilla and something almost musky and warm. sometimes chocolate perfumes go to plastic or sweat on me, but this becomes a glorious vibrant perfume. this is a foodie masterpiece. bravo, beth!

In the bottle: Dark Chocolate Frosting!

Wet: I'm getting a rich chocolatey cupcake batter.

Dry: The dark chocolate frosting has come out and this smells of these wonderful blackout cupcakes I've been eating. Rich moist chocolate cupcake drowned in a dark chocolate frosting!

No one else gets any spice from this? The first time that I wore this, I got confused and thought that I somehow applied Monster Bait: Underbed by mistake. I love Underbed, so that's not a problem *at all.*

This smells exactly like Monster Bait: Underbed and Dark Chocolate, Whiskey & Cognac Truffle had a baby... so lots of chocolate cake, an understated but still very present cassia/cinnamon thing, and a silky, dark, boozy liqueur. It smells like a wonderful, creamy, moist, dark cake. Maybe a little espresso powder and hints of smooth vanilla buttercream in the drydown as well.

I love this stuff.

I was talked into buying this bc I have Melty Creme Egg and Bliss...this is a beautiful chocolate blend that any choco-holic needs in the collection. The stout adds a beautiful dark tone underneath what could have been just an overly sweet bakery scent.

So this is actually very lovely, a very chocolatey cake and frosting scent with just enough something extra (the stout I would guess) that keeps it from being cloying, or too foody. I am not sure why this seems to make me a bit headachey, which is a shame because it fills a nice niche in my collection but not sure it can stay.

This is for the 2017 version. I haven't tried the 2014 release!

In the bottle: Omg. You know how really rich chocolate (like Ghirardelli) brownies smell after you mix the batter but before you bake it? It's that, exactly.

Wet on my skin: The same as in the bottle. With chocolate buttercream icing.

Dry: I'd tried unsuccessfully to get my hands on a bottle of this before, but unsurprisingly, they're pricey and last for about 5 seconds when listed for sale. I CAN SEE WHY. OH. My. Dog. It is dark, slightly-boozy chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream icing, except it's on my skin. I smell edible. I want to gnaw on my own arm. It literally smells like the chocolate stout cupcakes/brownies I have made in the past. Like, I don't even know HOW Beth does this, cramming a freakin' cupcake in a bottle, but okay. This is amazing. As a foodie-lover, I'm in chocolate stout heaven.

Oh, I'm so glad I snagged a decant of this before Yules went down! Chocolate Stout Cupcake is delectable. I totally agree with the previous reviewer: dark chocolate brownie batter. The stout doesn't read boozy on me so much as deepening the scent and adding a less-sweet edge. But basically it's deep dark chocolate, and if that's your BPAL groove, don't miss this one!!!

ETA 2017 version

Edited by Lucchesa

This smells like the chocolate cupcake dolls from my childhood and I'm here for it! In the bottle, it's super dark chocolate brownie batter. Same going on, but as it dries, it dries in scent as well. It smells like cocoa powder. Not a whole not of throw, so I'd slather if I were wearing as a perfume instead of merely testing.

This review is for the 2014 version!

Strong, almost coffee like, chocolate brownies with a little bit of the booze from the stout. Throw is very low, but that could be due to not using a lot from my very low partial imp. The frosting is really sweet and as it dries the stout note gets stronger. This isn't super boozy though, it's more chocolate than anything so I would still check this out even if you aren't thrilled about the stout. One of the better chocolate blends I have tried from BPAL!

It's unusual for me to like or even be interested in any chocolate scent but the reviews drew me in for this one, if I remember correctly it was a last minute Yule purchase before they went down that year.  I really like it.  It is a rich scent but there is a savory thing going on, I guess from the stout, and not much sweetness, just rich and dark chocolate.  I don't wear it a lot but there are times when it's the perfect cozy scent on a cold day (like today).