Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Fire

A Rosy Colour Paints Her Claws With Honor

Scales of gold, rose-tinted with red musk, bourbon geranium, and vanilla absolute.

There is a very strong rose note in this, not what I was expecting. Unfortunately I am not getting anything else as the floral overwhelms the musk and vanilla on me.

A very pretty rose scent that's reminding me of something I can just barely place..a scent from my youth from a lace shop that came from France in tiny old fashioned bottles. Reminding me more of my youth in that time period and smelling fancy and foreign (nothing old ladyish)

Geranium can take over on my skin but it doesn't here. Just adds a depth and texture to this blend. Very pretty, and a little drop goes far.

On initial application I get a blast of fresh rose and can't detect much else. As this scent dries down the rose backs off and the geranium comes forward. It stays that way for a bit and then slowly the vanilla and red musk come in to play. After a couple hours this is a nice mix of geranium, vanilla, and the musk with maybe a small hint of rose way in the background. This one has some good throw too. A little goes a long way.

I've tried A Rosy Colour Paints Her Claws With Honor a few times now, and each time I dab it on, I get that hit of musky rose and it's so nice. :wub3:

This is a rose-forward blend—that rose tint comes down like a pale red wash over everything it touches. It smells like a straight split between red rose, red musk, bourbon geranium, and vanilla. Bourbon geranium smells like rose with a citronellol edge—think a rosy citronella candle (better than it sounds). It's like rose if it were in the citrus family. Here it's also a bit herbaceous and it gives this phoenix some claws.

A few hours into wear, this is a nuzzle-soft rose with vanilla and musk and a twang of something citrusy. Very nice.

Strong rose, touches of geranium and vanilla over some red musk. This is a pale red rose with washes of red musk. If you love either roses or red musk, try this. It's deeply feminine. Good throw, average wear length.

Rose, musk, feminine.

This was a spontaneous addition to my decant order as rose is notoriously my nemesis, but something about this called to me and I decided to listen to my intuition. I do get whiffs of rose in the decant but also geranium and hints of the musk. It's quite appealing, but I'm a little concerned that the rose will do its normal Godzilla-stomp on me. But wait... Shock! Awe! The rose seems to be kept in check by the slightly citrusy geranium! I feel as though I'm in a steamy greenhouse and the pink hues of sunrise are softly penetrating the misted glass. I catch hints of rich vanilla that add depth and warmth to the blend. Surprisingly the red musk is nearly undetectable and I tend to amp that particular note. On the drydown, the rose and geranium soften considerably and the vanilla peeks out more and more. While rose and I have often been at each other's throats, there are a special few rose blends that do work on me and when they do, they're magical. This is one such blend. Graceful and feminine with an underlying fire that perfectly captures the inspiration. I may or may not need a bottle, but either way I will treasure my decant and wear it when I wish to feel particularly strong and feminine.

In the imp: A sweet golden rose. Like a rose dipped in honey.

Wet on skin: Same. On my skin, it's more floral than sweet, though.

Dried down: Yeah, this one is not morphing on me. Good thing I like the scent.

Throw: This actually has quite a bit of throw on me. Mmmmm............

Verdict: ***** This one's definitely a keeper. I may need to get me another bottle of this...

Oh. I thought the "rose tint" was going to be from the red musk. Had I realized it meant actual rose I would not have tried this one.

Upon initial application I think "man, this smells like deodorant." It's a whiff of something that I think is supposed to evoke metallic gold, but instead it evokes men's deo. THEN I get powdery rose, what I think of as "Grandma's weird chalky sachet she keeps in the underwear drawer" rose. Geranium comes up under that, but I think this is the rose geranium type and not the bourbon geranium that will work on me, because it just adds more cloying powdery floral to the mix. I have a few red musk and geranium blends that I like a lot. Unfortunately this is not that geranium and at no time do I ever get red musk in this. Not at first, not once it dries, not close up or from the throw.

Oh, is there vanilla here? I didn't notice. It and the red musk appear to have gone on vacation together.

This is pretty tragic on me. It wouldn't go away and I scrubbed with cinnamon clove soap AND applied lotion over it. Rose haters, beware!

In the imp: Someone above called this a "rose-forward" scent, and I have to agree! I'm not great at distinguishing red musk, but I think that's in there, too. Overall, this is a soft, feminine scent, but with a bit of a bite to it.

Wet: Interesting. Rose and I usually get along just fine, but here, the geranium takes a smart step forward and becomes pretty much the only game in town. Still floral in a rose-adjacent way, but now in a more powdery (dare I even say musty?) and citronella-y way.

Dry: It fades very gracefully into a positively gorgeous red musk and vanilla combo, which on me works out to "oh, this? I'm not wearing perfume, I just naturally smell amazing." So while the first stage was pretty but didn't blow me away, I'm really loving the drydown.

I've tested this twice, once a few hours after it arrived in the mail, and once the following night. It did the same thing both times, so I don't think it's a settling issue--it's just being weird.

A Rosy Colour starts out with a citrusy, slightly rosy, soapy scent.Then, it moves to mostly rose, but it's rose with a sharp tang that reminds me of an alcohol-based perfume. I'm always comparing things to perfumes I last wore twenty years ago, but this is going to kind of a Xi'a Xi'ang place on me. This is my favorite stage of it, though, despite the sharpness; it's kind of decadent and opulent. Then, after that, it does kind of a weird toasty thing. I have no idea what note is causing this.

It's kind of a muddle, with the stages not seeming to really go together. My hope is that as it ages, red musk will ride over the horizon and restore order. Right now I can't smell the musk at all, but we all know it comes out more as it ages, and I tend to amp it, so hopefully once it emerges, it'll all hang together better. For now, though, for my rose/geranium/vanilla needs, Fox Sisters works much better on me.

I'm mostly getting rose here, with a touch of geranium. The combination works, and the rose is sweet. After a bit, less rose, and more geranium. I like this, but not enough to upgrade.

Wet: Wow, interesting. I think I am actually smelling the "scales of gold" as a note - there is something metallic about this, but in a very pleasant way. Lots of rose, but it's a sort of "watery" rose. Very feminine and pretty. Sadly, the musk is not coming through - I was hoping for red musk and roses. The geranium is just a hint. This is quite lovely.

Dry: Rose dominant. Somehow, the red musk and metal notes I am detecting have blended together to sort of smell like leather, making this smell a lot like Whip on me. Which I totally love, but already have. If I didn't find them so similar and already have Whip, I would want a bottle of this. It's feminine, with an edge, and I love that.

BEAUTIFUL light sweet realistic rose note, like in love. it's got an even sweeter bite which is probably the vanilla. not huge throw or staying power. settles into a soft rose.

Edited by BuxomM

A beautiful musky rose scent. Sweet and heavenly, curling around like a decadent pink cloud. This is for sure a new favorite rose scent!

Wet: rose heavy. I love rose, so it works for me :)

dry: still rosy, but it’s softened into a floral with a couple different notes (I guess that would be the geranium). It definitely smells perfumy, but still good. Don’t think I’d want a full bottle, but I’m glad I got a decant of this way back when :)

Wet: liquid dish soap

This came out hard and punched me in the nose.

Slightly dry:

Pink (?)  rose front and center.  Geranium pops in and out until the overall effect is less screechy.

Dry dry:

This is a lot Pride.  Still getting a few puffs of non-rose flower.  Not sure where the vanilla is.

Edited by DigitalCoyote