Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
aiobhan

Yellow Metal With Mingled Purple Blushes

An armor of gleaming, burnished amber, gold-flecked, brushed with a whisper of wild plum and blackcurrant.

First! :D I've never been first before...

---

In the bottle the blackcurrant and plum is very bright, and the amber very amber-y. It's pretty on point.

Wet on skin the amber immediate warms and sweetens up, and the blackcurrant and plum start to darken a little and lose some of their tartness.

After a while, the amber is lovely and golden and warm and cozy - as it always is for BPAL ambers for me! - and the blackcurrant and plum have mellowed into a dark, sweet frutiness. They smell like they've been simmered slowly for hours together, getting caramelized and mellow.

I might need a backup of this!

I legitimately had to scrub this off. This is nothing but a melange of department store perfume, which is the same thing I got out of OLLA Ava. I'm not saying these two smell the same, but it's the same overall tone to me. I can't smell anything beyond a very strong, very heady perfume. :\

This smells like juicy peaches on my skin. After wearing it for an hour or two the amber is peeking out a bit more and it is very cozy and soft. I like it but I don't think I'd purchase a back up of it. It reminds me too much of B&B Sensual Amber.

it's funny. I go the the trading post and get bath products that smell like nice and unusual perfume...

and here, from the lab, is a perfume that smells like a fancy bath product that could come from another company or department store. it's nice but it's not very me. strong with a good throw and wear length.

This is gorgeous. It doesn't smell very impressive in the bottle, just a bit dark and fruity, but on my skin it warms into an amazing scent. Rich, warm amber takes center stage, with the fruits playing softly alongside. Dark and sweet, but never cloying. Cozy and upbeat.

I love this in the wet stage. It's juicy, purple fruit with hints of something bright coming through.

But dry, its a hint of fruit with generic perfume.

Its just okay. Glad I got to try it.

Yellow Metal With Mingled Purple Blushes is such a great capture of the inspiration. Smells like bright yellow amber and a touch of metal, plus just the barest hint of wild plum and blackcurrant. This smells very upscale and elegant somehow, and is the kind of blend I could wear anywhere...it smells warm and clean with just a touch of fruit. This smells better the longer it's on, ending as a soft amber with something fretful and complex at the very, very back of it. Another keeper from this year's Phoenixes!

Decant: totally get 'yellow' and 'purple' a spicy yellow with a deep purple vibe under my nose

Wet on me: breathe deep and I get that spicy yellow...almost like a yellow carnation

Drying Down: Yellow 'metal' waiting to get the purples to come out and play....but it's almost a masculine yellow metal

Dry: WOOHOO this is one amber that did NOT go all baby powder. Just a soft spicy yellow metallic scent. A little sad that I did not get the 'purple' of this on my skin.

Plum, amber and a brush of black currant. This one has a low throw, but great wear length. On the drydown, the plum goes a little Febreeze-y on me, but in general this is a plum and amber blend.

Despite it all, while pretty, this is not something that I'm utterly in love with.

Plum, amber, fresh.

In the imp: Sweet and bright.

Wet on skin: Still sweet and bright. I'm getting the plum, but it's kind of adding to the general brightness of the scent.

Dried down: Sweet, bright amber, with undercurrents of plum.

Throw: Not much, but I've got way too many scents on for that to be reliable right now.

Verdict: ***** Bottle, please. I'm not usually the biggest fan of plum - I don't dislike it, but my mouth doesn' water when I think of it or smell it. But here, it's gorgeous. I think it's because I'm getting more of the amber in this blend, but the plum is beautiful, too, even as a background note!

I sadly had the same reaction as Violaine- had to scrub this off. I usually like amber, but this crosses into very strong department store perfume territory. It was such a disappointment to me because amber and purple fruits are among my favorite notes. The fruits are noticeable too, but the whole thing was just immensely too strong for me. Opening the imp was enough! I did test it, but sadly it didn't change in the first 5 minutes and I couldn't stick with it after that. Sigh... can't win them all, I guess. :( I'm glad it's working out for some people, but this one isn't for me.

Wow, this is amazing! A bright bright scent of ambery metal, warm & resinous while still with a bright metal to it, and a little of the rich berry scent in the background, to ground it and give it more warmth. SO GREAT.

Sadly, this smells like generic musk and hair spray to me. I know the Lab's "metallic" notes can be ozone-y, but this just goes way too far.

All I get is vaguely berry-scented chemicals and plastic... not at all what I was hoping for. I'd love something with the notes listed that's richer and more natural while doing away with the headache-inducing ozone.

At first this smells rather soapy and not very interesting. But as it warms onto my skin, I get much more of the fruitiness, especially blackcurrant and I quite like it. I am not sure I get any metal from it, though.

It has decent throw and good wear length. Overall, it is very pretty, but I can see how it could come across as a little generic because there are so few notes and all. But I am glad I bought a bottle blind! This is the right sort of warm fruity scent I need.

I struggled to choose which of the Phoenixes I wanted this year, though I'm glad I chose the one that wasn't just another blend of all my favorite notes. This is beautiful, lush, and very bright, and it stands out quite nicely amid my usual musks, vanillas, and spices. I'm happily in love.

Oddly, when I first opened the package, it had a strange hint of something like camphor or menthol in the background as I opened the bottle to take a sniff. It lingered for a bit on my skin the first test application, but never potent enough to put me off. Second day I tried it, the menthol-camphor scent was gone completely, so I can only assume it was an artifact of being cold and not shaken enough? Go figure.

Now, it's a very lovely scent of warm, red fruits, the currants bright and slightly more in front of the plum, which is warmer and thicker. The amber is warm as well, spicy and very pleasant in tandem with the plum, and there's definitely a hint of a metallic note that makes the whole thing shine. It's a bit low on the throw, but the overall combination is a very sensual smell that I'd rather have cling close to my skin than be out there for everyone to notice. I've always liked deep, rich fruity scents, and it's nice to know they'll play well with me, too.

Metal at first, no plum present or amber. This pretty much turns to soap on me, though it's kind of pretty, like freshly washed skin. This does indeed smell like a yellow metal of some sort.

This is very mush as described. Amber, faint hints of metal, swirls of dark purple fruits. Really really pretty. It is very perfumey, but in a way that I love. It is, after all, perfume.

I bought this at Will Call last year when the scent was just released. It was all ripe, juicy dark fruits with sweet hints of amber. I cellared it to see if the amber would deepen over time. It did! This yellow and purple beauty aged perfectly, like a fine wine. The amber is deep, rich, glowing. There is the barest hint of gleaming metal wet, and as it starts to dry but that goes leaving a seductive, slightly sweet, ripe and dark scent. Just wonderful!

omg this is hella gorgeous. very light and perfumey. not fruity at all in the sense that i can't pick out the plum and blackcurrant. wet reminds me of a bathsheba somewhat, but much lighter and more girlish. the blackcurrant makes itself known a little more as it dries, lightening the scent even more. decent throw

ETA: this doesn't remind me of metal at all, nor of the golden powderiness of amber. to me it seems very much like a posh, office to the night club type of scent.

Edited by DiZZysTARdust