Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RocketMelee

Call it a broken heart, a break-up, heartache...

So, anyone have any scent reccomendations for someone who has just had her heart smashed into a thousand and one pieces?

I know what you're (possibly) thinking. If my heart was just smashed into a thousand and one pieces, how can I possibly be thinking about perfume? Well, in the short term, I'm hoping to distract myself. BPAL descriptions are distracting, thinking about when I'm going to place an order is distracting, trying to figure out how to get money for my order is distracting, and looking forward to having my order come in is distracting. In the long term, well, good smells might make me feel just a little bit better. Maybe.

So, help a sad sack out. Earn a very small, sugar-free karmic cookie.

Hmm... I would recommend anything warm and/or comforting.

The chocolatey oils ought to be good for that:

Bliss

Vice

Velvet

You might also want to check out snuggly, spicy-sweet scents like:

Dragon's Milk

Snake Oil

Alice

Or the just plain homey and calming blends:

Dana O'Shee

Water of Notre Dame

If you are in need of a lift in spirits, check out:

Tarot: The Star

No new suggestions but I definitely agree re: the chocolate scents. I've got a spare imp of Bliss if you'd like it.

I know what you're (possibly) thinking.  If my heart was just smashed into a thousand and one pieces, how can I possibly be thinking about perfume?

Dear, I think just about everyone here on the forums reaches for a favorite imp when they've got the blues, or if they're going through heartbreak. I went through it recently, so I'll list scents that were in rotation, or ones I was thinking of often:

Dana O'shee

Dragon's Milk

Velvet

Bliss

Sudha Segara

Gingerbread Poppet

Lampades (when I was feeling a bit more "tart" and didn't want to smell sweet, heh)

The note on Lampades also says that I wanted to wear a stronger scent at times, to appear that I was stronger and didn't need comforting.

:P

Jack for a big, warm buttery hug.

Cairo because kyphi is supposed to be uplifting and relaxing. Wearing it certainly made me feel a lot better when I couldn't shake off the blues a few months ago (it might have been psychosomatic but it worked).

BTW, if you do want to have a wallow, try Moon Rose. It's quite melancholy, but still quite sweet and just a wee bit chilly.

Thanks everyone -- for the kind words as much as the scent suggestions. Both have helped greatly. I'm still too weepy to properly express gratitude, but it's there in bucketfuls.

Kimmer -- I'd love to try Bliss, but I don't really have anything to swap you for it -- just Veil and Zombi. PM me if either of those sound good to you.

Again, thanks everyone. You're all really great.

RocketMelee, this thread of yours has helped me too. I've also been smashed into pieces recently and boy OH BOY does perfume help.. esp. O and Snake Oil (and so do grunge rock, bubblebaths, cheese, liquor, cheese liquor.. nevermind)

:P (((hugs))) to you and here's to our smashed-ness.

Anais

Aww. My heart goes out to you.

The first perfume that comes to mind is Tears. It definitely has a sort of cathartic, sobbing feel to it. And would be perfect to really wallow in it, and get it all out of your system.

Good luck.

I know what you are going through. It's the toughest thing ever. :P

Try Dove's Heart or Wings of Azrael.

Another thought on this...while I was going through a bit of heartbreak, I didn't want to do my "regular" scents so much. I found myself picking out scents from my imp collection more than my signature scents.

Personally, I'd reach for a good asskicking scent like Bloodlust or Serpent's Kiss, or an ultra sexy scent like Snake Oil or Follow Me Boy. No better way to get over an arsehole than to get your groove back, right? :P

Ugh, worst feeling on earth! :P I would suggest Shattered for empathy, b/c Beth created it to reflect (I think) a time when she felt that way too. If Beth can go through it and smell great, isn't that inspiring??? I also recommend Queen from Voodoo Blends for that "I kick ass and no one can touch me" feeling.

Those are all great suggestions. I have a half imp of Queen I'd be happy to send you if you'll pm me with your address. Meanwhile, There, there, pookie. That boy wasn't half good enough for you. :P :D

:P

From an aromatherapy point of view, rose is good for your heart if you like the scent. My favourite rose oil is Eve, which also has notes of honey and apple blossom and I find it really comforting and calming.

Frankincense has cathartic properties and can help you move on from hurt - Psyche has both rose and frankincense.

Aw, I'm so sorry you are heartbroken, it's the worst feeling ever. Good for you for reaching out. Lots of :D and :D and :P for you, darling.

awww. . . my heart is going out to everyone who has ever been smash-hearted.. . :P mayhaps it is the red queen that is making me so empathetic. . .

i like the suggestions here - especially the one about not wearing old favorites. you ever have something you love that helps you through a tough time (music, scents, etc) that after the hard time has passed, that favorite thing always reminds you of the tough time? i have a couple of favorite cd's that i can't even listen to now because they make me cry. . ..

Oh gosh... *hugs* Brokenhearted is the toughest time in anyone's life, I would think. And I once spent two months crying (literally cried every day for two months), so I know how it goes.

I bounced between wanting to wallow in my misery and cry for the rest of my life curled up in bed and wanting to go out dressed like Trinity from The Matrix and beat the ever-loving snot out of someone. For wallowing, I would think some very light scents, like perhaps Veil or Antique Lace would be good. Mind you I haven't actually smelled any BPAL yet (I am as of yet a total virgin) I'm just going off the descriptions. For the kicking-booty moods, I would go completely seductive and sinister, like Lady Macbeth or some of the raunchier Sin and Salvation blends. Whip would be good.

As a tip, get some very nice, nonlyrical CDs, like the meditation music and some of Enya's stuff. I found them very comforting and it entertained my mind a bit. I totally know what you mean about needing a distraction.

All the best to you!

~Diamond~

Awwwwww... once again I have to thank everyone. You've all really made me feel a lot better... or at least really comforted. And right now, comforted is about the best thing in the world.

AnaisSatin, I'm so sorry to hear that you are smash-ed, too. :P You've hit my coping list almost exactly on the head, espescially the bubblebaths (I've gone through nearly an entire bottle of B&BW aromatherapy rose sandalwood bubble bath). Except I decided that if I drank as much liquor as I'd currently like to I'd probably drop dead from alcohol poisoning, so I've been drinking yucatecan chocolate instead. And I swear, I have no idea how the Grand Marnier keeps making its way in there...

Also, DiamondHeart, thanks for the Enya and meditation music recomendation -- I will definitely try that out. It should go nicely with my theraputic knitting. I started a scarf and determined to just work on it whenever I was feeling too horrible -- and then I looked down at one point and saw that it was eight and a half feet long! Hopefully I'll get to the point of wanting to dress up like Trinity and beat the ever-lovin snot out of someone sooner rather than later -- I'm running out of yarn! :P

I'm glad you're at least able to knit. Sometimes when I'm especially mopey I can't even do that.

It just occurred to me that Grog was a very fun, pick-me-up scent, with it's buttery rumminess. Also, Dragon's Bone helps for me for some reason...if you like sandalwood you might like it.

Maybe you should work on a fun sweater for yourself.

*HUGS*

Black Cat and Has No Hanna are keeping me above water. Right now, my SO has vanished away for a while and there's no fixed date on his return, so I'm moping round an empty house, depressed and lonely. I know it's not quite the same, but I'm dependant and prone to depression, so it doesn't help. Bordello is cosy and loving though and is like a warm hug. :P

I know that Dove's Heart has been mentioned, and I have not smelled it myself. However, my experience is that Beth's Voodoo blends *work*, and this is specifically what Dove's Heart is for.

I have smelled Melpomene, and I would recommend that as well when you're ready to channel your pain into creativity. It's discontinued, sadly, but maybe someone could hook you up? I would, but I only have one dwindling imp. :P