Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dangerbunnygirl

Cold weather suggestions?

First snow today, brrrrr.... what are your favorite cold weather BPALs?

My personal favorites are Talvikuu, The First Soft Snow, Krampus, Snow White, Almond Blossom, La Pere Fouettard, Gingerbread Snake, Skadi, Faunalia, Sweet Lavinia's Risalamande, Gelt and El Dia de los Reyes. Besides Yules being my favorite cold weather scents the other ones I love wearing this time of the year are French Tobacco, Tombeur, Morocco.

Edited by Haltija

The Antikythera Mechanism smells great when it's on an oft-worn sweater in the colder months. A lot of the vanilla blends do, actually. I love pulling out a sweater I've lazily not washed and it wafts drydown Snake Oil.

The woodier blends are lovely too. There's always something nice about Hope and Fear Set Free or Kathmandu when it's freezing out and you want to smell sun-warmed wood.

Hellcat and Chimera, oldies but goodies for me. And the welts from Chimera go away after a few minutes.

I also like the foodie things when it's cold. I HATE the cold. If I never saw another snowflake it would be a day too soon. OK done ranting...

Mother Shub's everything.

Gingerbread Snake.

Snow all of the things, especially Snowballs.

Saw-Scaled Viper is probably my go-to for cold snowy days, maybe Gingerbread Poppet too.

Seconding Morocco, but also would like to add OMFG Kubla Khan! Just got my bottle and wore it 5 of the last 7 days. Cozy, bright from the mandarin, just a little smoky. It is amaze.

YES to Kubla Khan! It dries down to just the sweetest, smokiest, loveliest vanilla ever :wub3:

Excellent for a cold day. My imp has gone AWOL, sadly, so I'll have to wait for my upcoming bottle order to wear it again, but it shall be glorious!

wait...I love Kubla Khan!!! I have not worn in for cold, I usually wear it spring/summer...

I have to try it now!

ok dug it out of the top shelf...wow it's delicious. thanks for that!

Edited by stellamaris

Brimstone! I am not into foodies, but I feel like it captures the same warm spiciness that many winter foods have without smelling like anything you would actually want to eat.

Venustas, Pumpkin Lace, Lights of Men's Lives, and The Cat - all lovely and warm in different ways.

Also Winter Stars for a wintery outdoor sort of scent.

Edited by Myria Jean

I like heavier/warm scents when it's chilly out. My favorite blend, Atlas, is great for feeling cuddly.

Other good ones are The Final Darkness, Red Lantern, French Tobacco, La Mano del Destino, Following Instructions, Midnight Mass, Banshee Beat.

I go more for my foody scents--or at least, for sweeter, often spicier scents--when it gets cold. Favorites include Shub-Niggurath, Samhain (2012 vintage for me), Snake Oil, and even sometimes a bit of Hell's Belle or Dorian, if only because they're sweet and a little creamy, and nicely comforting in the chill. I'm planning on adding The (Not-So) Penitent (Mini) Magdalene to that rotation this year, as I get a wonderfully sweet, spicy, foody-but-not scent from it that fits nicely into my preferences for cold weather.

I like Lights of Men's Lives because it makes me think of being in a warm room with candles, and like Mokiefraggle, I'm sure I'll end up using Mini Mag for the same thing now that I have it. I also like foody scents better in the cold than I do the rest of the year, like Misk U, and I reach for heavy resins a lot too (I've been wearing Event Horizon a lot lately). Once in a while I feel like being one with the arctic blast rather than insulating from it, and for that I'll wear Talvikuu.

Snake Oil, Skadi, Gingerbread Poppet, Gingerbread Snakes, Heavenly Love/Earthly Love, El Amor y la Muerte and other incense-heavy scents are my go-to scents for cold weather. I tend to limit the gingerbreads after January though, since gingerbread is more of a December/January scent to me. We still have plenty of cold weather in February and March, so that's when I pump up the Snake Oil and Tombeur use, too.