Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

Some Strangeness in the Proportion

Rich vanilla sandalwood elegantly distorted by oudh, labdanum, scarlet saffron, and pink pepper.

Color me shocked! I should really have adored every single note here and in theory (and separately), I do. But somehow, together, they do bad things. At first it's just itchiness from the pepper (MY EYES! ZEY ARE BURNING! ZE GOGGLES DO NUZZINK!) but eventually on the drydown, some combination of notes causes a burnt rubber type of scent to come roaring out. Bad, bad, bad, and certainly what I would consider a strangeness in the proportion. Fie on me for buying this one unsniffed for now I have to rehome her!

I had to have this vanilla sandalwood, especially if it is distorted!

At first sniff, I just smell "Oh, yes!"; this is my kind of scent. It is a classic oriental that never existed. It is slightly spicy, sweet and woody...sophisticated and delicious at once. Then it gets weird. I smell incense, and...new doll heads?

I asked my husband what he thinks it smells like. He gives it the "Gah! I love it!" face, then gets a far away look...he says it kind of reminds him of playing Barbies with his childood friends in a treehouse in the summer...but if there was also incense burning...skin and wood and dolls all heated up...but a memory revisited that does not seem quite so innocent...and is now slightly disturbing.

LOL!

It's like a spookier, creepier, woodier, Mouse's Long And Sad Tale without the flowers, which I think of as a pink amber. SSoP is slightly pink, but with a strong sepia filter...older...more mature and developed. I think it's related to The Other Miss Forcible in its dark sweetness, but SSoP has more lift from the pepper.

I'm stocking up.

Edited by lookingglass

Sandalwood heavy on me. Dry, slightly woody, and cologney. If the vanilla comes out, this may be pretty.

Wet: Much sweeter than expected! Interesting. A little strange. Kind of chemically. Annddd it's turning to plastic. Weird!

Dry: Something gives the impression of a chemically sort of leather scent. I think it's the labdanum, and I am not caring for it. Sweet plastic! Not for my skin, sadly.

I totally get the comparisons to celeste. This is v dry and dusty in that same sharp way that took me by surprise. Totally the saffron making itself known. I'm not getting much vanilla or pink pepper in the throw, this is not really as sweet as i was expecting, but it's there when i sniff up close. It's very elegant and understated, and also i would say p unisex. It's a little cooler and less head shoppy than i was hoping for but still deliciously resiny, lots of labdanum which i love.

ETA, after an hour or so the pink-pepper vanilla combo comes to the surface, which is sweet but still in an elegant, refined way rather than cloying foodie.

Edited by DiZZysTARdust