Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jennifurious

Blacker than the Raven Wings of Midnight

The scent of Ligeia reborn: black tea leaf fougere with black sandalwood, opalescent vanilla, osmanthus, 18-year aged Indonesian patchouli, and the suggestion of ancient incense smoke.

In the bottle: there's the black tea leaf, the patch, a hint of sweetness from the vanilla, and something like ironwood, although that could be the sandalwood and incense smoke combining.

Wet: Wow, that's some throw! The notes are starting to combine and yes, there's a hint of anise.

The dry-down: This scent seems almost green than black, if one were to think of it in terms of colors. The patch appears green, round, and chewy, dominating the other notes, although faint whiffs come through from time to time. This is not the gritty patch of Occupy Wall Street. I'd like try this with some kind of a blackened vanilla note. It seems rather masculine, and will probably work better on the bf.

Dark and incensey at first. After a bit, a foody kind of spice comes out, like cinnamon, and yes the anise. This doesn't seem black to me, more like a murky brown. It's rather disjointed, and I'm trying to make sense of the scent, but I can't. Haha. Nothing seems to meld together here, but it was fun to try.

This is so beautiful! I did not detect the licorice mentioned at all, in fact, it was hard for me to pick out individual notes at all, except I did smell smokey incense in the dry down. I was surprised it did not last long.

ETA

This is aging sooo beautifully! It continues to be flawlessly blended, but now I am able to admire the patchouli and incense smoke a a bit more. Exotic yet sophisticated. Wow!

Edited by Minh Scent

Not gonna lie. Despite liking all of the notes in this, I wanted this formerly for the name. I think it might be one of my favourite BPAL scent names. I just needed it in my life, OK? Don't judge.

Wet: Gnarly patchouli, tea, something almost tobacco-ish. Gooood. Really good. I wouldn't have thought I would love tea and patch together so much. I want to roll in this.

Dry: A lot lighter than expected or hoped, but still really good. I will just need to slather it. Primarily a lovely combo of tea and patchouli. Some vague sweetness. I really like it.

This starts off a bit sharp, I get almost anise like vibe but it's just the initial gnarliness of the patchouli I believe. The patch settles in with the tea fougere and a little incense. Then it gets sweeter, from the vanilla and osmanthus. The vanilla is truly opalescent. There is also a dry quality from the sandalwood. A beautiful mysterious scent, that is hard to describe as a whole. It's a dark but not heavy scent. Like swirling smoke.

This one did not work for me.  Something about the black tea with the resins makes for an interesting combo, but not one I particularly enjoy.

Murky black tea is by far the strongest note on me.  It reminds me a little bit of Sluagh, but that worked better for me.  I get some of the more cool toned, minty anise, vs. black licorice.  It burns off pretty fast though.  I don't really get any vanilla, but there's definitively some dark patchouli and heavy incense notes giving this one it's weight and murk.  I could certainly see why this could be a favorite for some.  It's different and it's got a lot of atmosphere.  Not my cup of tea though.  :smile:  Swap!

PATCHOULI holding hands with vanilla and that spectacular black tea fougere, with the faintest glimmer of florals and a veil of incense. Kind of licorice-y. Goes on smelling a bit like a head shop but tones to down to a very high-end-cologne type scent.

In the bottle: This smells exactly like the witch store I frequented when I was in university. It's rather astounding, because of this, it took me a second to get the individual notes. The incense and patchouli hit hardest and the sandalwood peeks around the edges. Really looking forward to this on! 

Wet on skin: Black liquorice (which I love) and incense. It's dark and the smokiness is sublime. Not getting the vanilla or tea as much but I'm sure as it dries down they'll come through more. 

Dry on skin: It's only been dried down for about ten minutes and it is an absolutely stunning combination of rich vanilla and black tea/incense with the faintest hint of black liquorice around the end. I'm so excited to see what this does throughout the day. 

The scent IS Ligeia. It's romantic, ghostly, and dark. It's this lingering presence mixed with intense longing. I'm in love and so thrilled that I have a full bottle of this (some of the notes are similar to Black Silk) 

I had a very similar experience to VetchVesper with this one. I got bitter tea, minty anise notes on top of pungent, dank, and dark patchouli. Murk I think is a good adjective. I really wanted to like this, it is very unique. If you like darker aged patchouli blends for sure give this one a whirl. 

Just a deep, dark incense on me, with a hint of the opalescent vanilla. Very pretty though I wish it brought out more of the notes on me..

2014 decant circle.

In the imp: Sandalwood, patchouli, and smoke.

Wet: More smoke, patchouli, black tea, and a brush of vanilla.

Dry: The most beautiful smoky patchouli. Long-lived, medium throw.

Stars: ★★★★

Yesss you magnificent gnarly aged patchouli! Yes! I'm imagining all the other notes dancing in a circle around the patch, which is where the scent begins when wet. The black tea leaf fougere is stunning, though, opening up and holding its own against the other notes. A pleasant swirl of vanilla and incense smoke. There is also something a bit herbal and almost greenish. Like flashes of color reflected off a raven's wing. The most delicious inky stinky. Maybe not a truly inky black scent but goth AF. Gothier than the raven wings of midnight. 

I was able to get a bottle of this beauty on the lab's etsy and it's absolutely amazing. 

My first thought when I put this on was that it's goth kid Dorian inside of an early 2000s Hot Topic (that hazy smoke and sweet incense scent that the store always had back then - I loved that smell - clinging to all of the black clothing), and it also reminds me strongly of Romanti.Goth perfume and the Raven Black hair gloss.  The tea fougere and vanilla are giving me the Dorian vibes, but this is darker with the black tea, earthy patchouli, and dark incense. 
It's all black clothing, almost leather-like, with a subtle sweetness from the vanilla and the sweeter side of the incense notes (sandalwood incense, a hint of nag champa, and myrrh?), and that hazy Hot Topic smell that was almost smoky, almost foggy, very specific...

I love this so much.

Osmanthus and patchouli are what I notice. I am NOT getting tea, vanilla, or sandalwood. I am also NOT getting licorice or anise as other reviews mentioned. I AM getting the suggestion of ancient incense smoke whatever that means. This is midnight in summer, pitch black and warm and mysterious swirls of smoke drifting on the breeze, beckoning you into the woods.