Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Job Interview Recommendations

This sounds fun.

I haven't actually been OFFERED an interview yet ( :( ) but I'm trying to break into toy design/product design.

What do you think would be "GET THE JOB!" scents for that? :)

well it sounds like you are approaching this in the spirit of fun. the first thing that comes to mind would be Old Man Ackerman's Instructional Toys because my brain is apparently afflicted by the obvious. BUT what kind of toy/product design? you could go a cartoony route with some of the Neil Gaiman or movie or comic based fragrances or the Steamworks also immediately comes to mind as well as some of the Alices... and I even think some of the Carnivals currently on Etsy might work.

i always think that interview fragrance is so subjective. because for me i will wear what will convey the right impact for me personally and just go light if its a strong one. i don't need anyone else to be impacted by it because i expect to be the one doing that and not my fragrance if i interview as intended. lol. but i wear BPAL for what it does for me. :)

for what it is worth generally in this thread; i have been jobhunting since November. i got out my Manhattan imp without reading up on the notes or anything just because my instinct told me to. i just got two jobs off the interviews i wore Manhattan to. now i fully understand that i got them after this long jobhunt largely due to working hard at improving my resume and interview skills. lol.

and going forward i might wear something completely different again based on mood an instinct. but i do think i may get a whole bottle of Manhattan because on me it is delightful and still feels work appropriate and not too personal. but that does not mean i am not going to go to work lots of days wearing all kinds of other BPAL.

sorry for the book! and most of all Good Luck!!! to everybody currently job hunting... may hope sustain you and hard work be rewarded!

I love Manhattan when I want to feel businesslike and powerful, yet femme and pretty all at the same time. It's a great work scent for me.

I often reach for Celeste for interviews. I like that it's assertive on me, while also emitting wafts of very stranger-friendly vanilla.

Just chiming in to say I think that BPAL can add confidence to your outfit, which is something you want to convey when job hunting. I would recommend staying with something close to the skin that smells "clean". Myself, I like High John the Conqueror, it gives me the boost I want.

I will be interviewing at an environmental law firm for a receptionist position.

I wear BPAL every day and wouldn't quite feel right without it. I would like a scent that comes across as competent, confident, and professional. The kind of person you would trust to greet fancy guests at the door and to make sure all the lunch orders are correct. This isn't usually the kind of thing I'm thinking of when I'm sniffing, so I'm at somewhat at a loss. Help?

Citrus scents are always a smart choice for office jobs, since they tend to be inoffensive and gender-neutral. As a receptionist you may want to also consider teas, light vanillas, and light herbs and spices to give more of a warm and inviting vibe, whilst staying inoffensive to a variety of noses. Here are a few I think would work:

Shanghai: The crisp, clean scent of green tea touched with lemon verbena and honeysuckle.

Baobhan Sith: Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

Dorian: A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

The Apothecary: Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

White Rabbit: Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

Manhattan: Sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.

I will be interviewing at an environmental law firm for a receptionist position.

I wear BPAL every day and wouldn't quite feel right without it. I would like a scent that comes across as competent, confident, and professional. The kind of person you would trust to greet fancy guests at the door and to make sure all the lunch orders are correct. This isn't usually the kind of thing I'm thinking of when I'm sniffing, so I'm at somewhat at a loss. Help?

Hi :) I wore Ambergris SN earlier this week, and thought it was a really great neutral scent. Not foody, sexy, girly, masculine, hippy, headshop, quirky, or attention-grabbing. Neutral but really nice. Almost elegant in a really laid back kind of way. I hope your interview goes really well!

My thanks to arsinoe9 and BoneBone24 for the great suggestions. I like the take on the inviting aspect of being a receptionist with the tea notes. I actually like and have all of those scents I think. I'm really comfortable in Dorian and I'm head over heels for Ambergris SN, it makes me feel like a classy lady. Hmmmmm.... thanks again for the ideas!

I have a twist on this question. I have a phone interview tomorrow morning. Obviously, for a phone interview I can wear whatever I want, and I'm leaning toward either Dorian (my favorite so far since I got into BPAL back in February) or Horn of Plenty. I'd love to hear other suggestions, though.

I have four bottles (Dorian, Snake Oil, Morocco and Embalming Fluid) and about 40 imps. Ones I've tried and liked, besides the bottles, include

Kabuki

La Petite Mort

O

Absinthe

Aeval

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Bess

Bon Vivant

Delirium,

Eclipse

Zephyr

Baobhan Sith

Kumiho

Aizen-Myoo

Shango

Tamora

Titania

Eat Me

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

The Lion

White Rabbit

Lyonesse

Tombstone

Whitechapel

The only thing I'd like to avoid is Alice: though it's lovely, I wore it to my last in-person interview a few months ago, and didn't get that job.

Hey, I'm reviving this thread because although I don't have anything near an interview yet, I am hoping to try and get a job at a florists, and also at a funeral home! It's been a while since I've been in the job market and I'm kind of doubting myself and feeling a little anxious/negative about the prospects. I'd love to know which nice, light, uplifting and yet sophisticated/mature/possible solemn work-appropriate scents y'all would recommend for working at a florist and funeral home. :) Thank you!!

As a side note I will mention that smoky resin type scents really do not work on me, and often cause headaches and do not help my concentration.

It's been a while since I've been in the job market and I'm kind of doubting myself and feeling a little anxious/negative about the prospects. I'd love to know which nice, light, uplifting and yet sophisticated/mature/possible solemn work-appropriate scents y'all would recommend for working at a florist and funeral home. :) Thank you!!

As a side note I will mention that smoky resin type scents really do not work on me, and often cause headaches and do not help my concentration.

For the funeral home job, I would highly recommend Mr. Ibis. For one thing, the character works at a funeral home. :) It's very soft, calming, light, and long-lasting.

It's been a while since I've been in the job market and I'm kind of doubting myself and feeling a little anxious/negative about the prospects. I'd love to know which nice, light, uplifting and yet sophisticated/mature/possible solemn work-appropriate scents y'all would recommend for working at a florist and funeral home. :) Thank you!!

For the funeral home job, I would highly recommend Mr. Ibis. For one thing, the character works at a funeral home. :) It's very soft, calming, light, and long-lasting.

Omgosh I just read the reviews... sounds so beautiful, and perfect! :) Thank you :wub2: on za list it goes.

Cheers, lovely smelling people :) What scent would you wear for a job interview in academia? Something professional nonetheless able to knock their socks off :biggrin:

I won't suggest what to wear, but how to choose what to wear: Something discreet which makes you happy and gives you confidence.

You don't want something with massive throw, so that depends on your skin chemistry, and weather is a factor (for me, anyway — there are heavy foodie perfumes I won't wear in the summer and florals I won't reach for in the winter). Nobody wants to work with That Person who marinates in Drakkar Noir.

You should pick a scent which lifts your spirits and makes you feel good. This will give you confidence for the interview, and if you feel yourself flagging, a whiff can pick you back up.

break a leg! :)

I won't suggest what to wear, but how to choose what to wear: Something discreet which makes you happy and gives you confidence.

You don't want something with massive throw, so that depends on your skin chemistry, and weather is a factor (for me, anyway — there are heavy foodie perfumes I won't wear in the summer and florals I won't reach for in the winter). Nobody wants to work with That Person who marinates in Drakkar Noir.

You should pick a scent which lifts your spirits and makes you feel good. This will give you confidence for the interview, and if you feel yourself flagging, a whiff can pick you back up.

break a leg! :)

Ahahaha, Thank you :P all my favorite scents have an enormous throw, I guess I just have to dosage right:)

Oh no, I didn’t check if there was already a thread… Thank you:) will go check out other ppls lucky scents, maybe will find some for the wishlist ;)

Cheers, lovely smelling people :) What scent would you wear for a job interview in academia? Something professional nonetheless able to knock their socks off :biggrin:

What are some of your faves that you feel smell the most traditional"

I tried Villain on a job interview, due to it's fresh, light airy vibe. I got the job, so maybe there's a link of luck?

Every time I've worn Dorian to a job interview I've got the job and I've yet to come across anyone who dislikes it on me so it's worth giving a run I'd have thought.

I wore wanton to a job induction today, and every manager I met complimented me. I already had the job, but it was something that they'll remember me for :)

Every time I've worn Dorian to a job interview I've got the job and I've yet to come across anyone who dislikes it on me so it's worth giving a run I'd have thought.

Yes! This! It's my go-to perfume for interviews and I have gotten every job I've been interviewed at when wearing it :)

:) another reason to hunt for Dorian eventually. I was wearing Sherlock Holms and the Vial of Holy Water (different days, we had the whole week of interviews for the graduate school x.x ) didn't get the position though... need Dorian NOW :P

Currently I have one job and need more money, so I applied to GameStop. If they call me in for an interview (I hope!) I think i'm going to wear Technical Boy. It's soft and unassuming and suits the atmosphere lol

Alright, so I have worn a new edition of Antique Lace HG for two interviews and got two offers :biggrin: I would say it's 100% efficient so far

Alright, so I have worn a new edition of Antique Lace HG for two interviews and got two offers :biggrin: I would say it's 100% efficient so far

Congratulations!!!!