Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Chaos Theory Hair Gloss

My bottle is labeled XIX

This has the same spun sugar note as silky bat and Go to Sleep, Darlings...LOVE! It seems like it also has a base of a vanilla along the same vein as Black Opal...

I wish I could hoard this because it's stunning!!

My bottle is labeled XVII.

So initially, I posted my impressions of this HG in the BPTP Teasers thread, but I've since realized that I was full of nonsense. Also, I think I was being more than a little influenced by the general whiff of delicious smellies that were sitting out in front of me.

I've settled on this definitely being foody. The only thing I'm fairly sure about is some kind of sugar note--maybe the same thing sharkdiver is getting? But I don't think mine has a vanilla base. Particularly in the bottle and on my hands (I spray it into my palms and run it through my hair that way), there's an almost spicy or incense-y note to it, but it seems to fade significantly once it's been in my hair for a little while. Maybe once the gloss is dispersed through my hair, it's just harder to catch that note; I'm not sure. I've been told it smells like cookies, but I'm not really getting "cookie". It's basically sweet, and pretty light, and I'm going to have to use it sparingly so I don't run out.

I'm really awful at picking up on scent notes. It took me three hours of subtly smelling my hair in class to be convinced of the sugar part. :tongue: I love it, though, whatever is in it, and I wish I could pinpoint the notes better so I could find some similar perfumes.

Edited by Hattress

Bottle XVI:

My Chaos Theory HG came! I got XVI...and it smells like caramel, leaves, and cinnamony smoke like someone tossed a cinnamon into a fire. *dies*

Bottle: XXVI

Hmm....I too am not good at picking out notes, but sniffing this, I get a dusty, dry type of floral note. I think I detect a hint of incense. Sadly, without even needing to use this, is NOT for me!! Let's re-home it!

I've been trying to get a better sense of what all might be in my Chaos gloss but decided to just share what I think so far as after several wearings I'm not expanding my review any...lol. I have bottle L.

It is a very planty one. My overwhelming impression is of tobacco absolute and something green and sap-filled, I think it is dandelion. The combination of smoky and green it very interesting. I can't really connect it to any other scent I've tried. After several hours on my hair I can detect a soft floral component as well, faint and fresh...daisies? dandelions?. Hobbits Smoking on the Lawn:)

I love an oddball scent and this fits the bill.

Bottle XVI: My husband and I determined that of all the scents, it is most like Wezwanie-Hold, very nutty and rich, with a caramel/brown sugar coating. After about 30 minutes the strong sweet and nutty fades to a musky dusky smokey spice with a rich sweet base. It's deliciously amazing, and I think it will go beautifully with Wezwanie, Goblin Sack, Brown Thrasher, and similar.

I've been testing my full sized bottles of Chaos Gloss one a day for a while now. I've been really amazed by how well they age and blend and have changed with their time waiting in the aging drawer, in just this amount of time. Some of them bear no resemblance now to what they did when I first got them. (decant and tester impressions to come with the next round)

Impressions!

ETA:

LVII: Strongly reminiscent of Planting Moon- soft soil, light green sprouts, definite tomato leaf, I think squash blossom. Definitely green, grassy, fresh new growth- nothing sharp or herbal, all young and fresh. This pairs stunningly with planting moon, Karme, Witches Garden for the green, even better on me with Graveyard Dirt, Chellah, Worm Moon, Burial, or Zombi for a stronger earth and loam scent to carry me into the scent experience of burying my hands in the soil of a fresh spring garden, working the earth, surrounded by the scents of life.

XVI: husband and I determined that of all the scents, it is most like Wezwanie-Hold, very nutty and rich, with a caramel/brown sugar coating. After about 30 minutes the strong sweet and nutty fades to a musky dusky smokey cinnamon spice with a rich sweet rummy base. It's deliciously amazing, and I think it will go beautifully with Wezwanie, Goblin Sack, Brown Thrasher, and similar.

XCVI: Impressions of Marie Antoinette’s rumored lavish celebrations, the scent of bubbly champagne, croquembouche, and petits fours!

XLI: Spot on for Two, Five, and Seven. Or The Rose. Not Rose Red, though. This is a soft and true rose, with the full bush- leaf and thorn lurking beneath the petals, possibly a slightly grassy leaf, but it’s hard to tell because the bloom never burns off, just softens enough to allow the hint of live plant through.

XLII: This one, to me, smells… lunar. Like it is has the “lunar oil” sort of mood. I would guess moonflower, lavender, blue musk, and maybe ambergris. It’s got a soft, fuzzy, pale grey-blue feel- this is the mane of night as she spreads across the sky with a soft cloud of ethereal mist in the twilight. Also, this one has a different texture than the other hair glosses in my hair- where some like snake oil make it slick and shiny, this one- it doesn’t make it crunchy or anything like that, but it is holding in place almost like a commercial hairspray (without the yucky hairspray stuff). This would be exactly the thing to help keep curls or strays in place and still be soft and gentle and pliable.

LXXXV: I wrote myself notes on this one all day long. In the bottle it smells like- not much. Wet on my hair, it is a blast of sweet sugary cake and fruity-ness. Dried, initially this turns into a boozy apricot sandalwood (is there musk too?) with a side of tea cake- baked good,but not overly sweet, the boozyness is the sweet part. the span from 30 min to 7 hours later- this is so freaking amazing. It’s like a sweet musky sandalwood with just a hint of apricot. I wrote that this is in my hair much like Jingo-Kojo v6 was on my skin, if it had apricot instead of orange in the sandalwood creamsicle- mellow and creamy and delicious but not quite verging into foody. (and no BEEF). Second wearing- hmm… maybe it’s closer to Haloes than Jingo?

XXXII: white sandalwood and iris- very white, dusty, floral.

XCVIII: this one smells to me just like layering smut and gooey French tobacco. Boozy and rich and musky and gummy and sweet. At first it started just a little grapey and confused me, but that vanished almost instantly, and now it is heaven.

XXXVI: In bottle- well this is… odd. it’s something sweet and warm. Not foody. not fruity, although I tried to put fruit in because of the sweetness.

Freshly applied to hair: yeah no, definitely not fruit. But it’s sweet. Kind of gummy/resin sweet maybe? it’s a little spicy- is that desert spice or something else? and maybe a teensy hint of smoke? (This is a Hard one!- I am condensing a couple page of impressions jotted down during the day trying to figure it out)

Dry, it stayed fairly constant but I had a terrible time putting my finger on it. Then finally figured out at least two of the notes! Honey. the sweet and the sticky/gummy impression I think are coming from honey. And Carnation- that’s where the spice and “something else” feeling was coming from. Honey-Carnation is in Hod, so I ran to sniff that when I got home. Yeah, this is somewhat Hod-esque. not perfectly, but in the same neighborhood.

LVIII: Oh, it’s Rose Cross! or at least, remarkably similar. rose with incense notes, blended beautifully so that it is a soft, dusty incense with rose blossoms drifting on the tendrils of holiness. If there is more to it, I can’t smell it. Lovely.

XXXIX: OH! OH!!! I know this one! This smells to me like Manners Between Men and Women in the Red Light District! Also, I’m starting to think the series of bottles I got might have been variations on a theme in apricot.

LVI: In the bottle- weird, almost sour and astringent. I am seriously nervous about testing this. Wet: herbal mint- there is a bite to it. The wet stage lasted about 2-3 minutes. F

First 30-45min dry: Minty for sure, but soft- the initial bite vanished completely. It is not a gourmand soft mint though, more of a woodsy (sandalwood?) essence. It is making me think strongly of Hamadryad- the minty version. It lacks the sharpness of a the mint of Nuclear Winter, or in the eucalyptus/citrus blends- this feels more like a “peeking up out of the snow” sort of mint.

Several hours later: very soft, almost vanillic. At this point it is reminding me of the vanilla-snow of Waltz of the Snowflakes with a soft and almost creamy mint whispering through it. For something that started so scary, this ended up being just gorgeous.

XLIV: mild, spicy and sweet. This one did not live long in my hair, which is a shame because it’s SO BEAUTIFUL! Note guesses: sugared sandalwood, vanilla, either orange blossom or orange peel for a nonfoody hint of orange. Very soft and almost creamsicle without being overpoweringly sweet. I just wanted to bury my nose in my hair for the first few hours of the day. And then it was gone, and I was sad. I don’t know if it doesn’t have staying power or if my hair ate it.

XLIII: Charles says he can’t place it, but it is warm and really really nice. This is reminding me of Pais de la Canela without the balsam/pine in terms of being very tropical without being in-your-face leafy or coconutty or pineappley. It is mildly sweet, vaguely musky-spicy, soft, shimmery and fuzzy oranges and reds- I think there is vanilla orchid in this. GAWDS I CAN”T STOP SMELLING MY HAIR!!

LIII: A very strongly scented gloss! It is a buttery, cakey rich and indulgent scent, with a fruity liqueur to go with it. Very reminiscent in character of Decadence, monster bait closet, Halloween Las Vegas

XCIV: Pear blossom? peach blossom? it’s not apple but definitely some kind of fruit bloom. Dried down this, to me, is the stony note of Three Swords with petals lying on it. Stony, metallic sort of earthy without being dirty, with just enough of a bloom to keep it from begin all gritty rock. I really really seriously love this.

CIV: This one on me was a soft, gentle, almost fluffy cloud of creamy floral, perhaps a light musk. I’m wondering if this may be champaca. My note at lunchtime (5 hours of wear time in), says "it's the springtime fairy flitting through new blooms, leaving a soft puff of fairy essence wherever she lands"

CV: wet- Violet!! My skin hates, it but apparently on the hair it is remarkably wearable! It is a regal scent. I’m thinking this has a light amber as well, a light musk- in fact, several hours on it is giving me impressions of a violet version of L’Estate

LXXXIV: Lemon/Lime, fresh and bright and cheerful- it’s like the fresh squeezed juice. This dries down a little spicy/smokey, with a definite woodsy note- I’m wanting to say balsam or pine. This manages to smell fresh and clean without going “floor cleaner”, which I read in a lot of reviews of lemony-citrus scents.

XXXVII: Wet: Peach Schnapps! Immediate drydown: oh, no I was wrong. This is apricot, this is dry, warm sunshiny, with a hint of… stone? dewdrops? 4-10 hours later: apricot musk, soft and fuzzy, with a grey note- I think this is ambergris! It’s got an attitude of aloof sexiness “You want this, but no- never. You only wish.”

LXXV: PINK PEPPER! this is bright and pink and spicy- I think some grapefruit as well. incredibly cheerful and focusing.

LXXVIII: WAKE! Grapefruit, mint, pink pepper- invigorating and alert in my hair! I pulled out my bottle of Wake to wear with it, and they are *almost* twins. Definitely siblings. See also: TAL Concentration.

Well, I just grabbed another bottle of Chaos Theory, so we'll see if I can identify the notes in the next one better than this one.

As an update to my existing bottle, it lasts forever. Two days after I applied it, I could still smell it pretty well.

My bottle is LXX

Something in this reminds me of Implacable Beautiful Tyrant. I get a little lemon-like scent as it dries, but that goes away (maybe lemon balm?). I'm guessing amber and maybe oudh (or frankincense, although it's not the same as Frank/Clove, maybe a sweet frankincense?) Wonderful golden globules float at the bottom. Great addition for me! :hug:

I got LXXI.

It smells great, but my nose is completely failing me...my first thought was candy corn but im not so sure.

:-)

What a cool experience.

ETA: after spraying the hell out of my hair with this yummy hair gloss last night, i think there might be a cherry note and possibly a pastry note? It is delicious smelling.

Edited by Herb Girl

Origin: Bottle LXXXI, straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I tend to avoid the Chaos Theory experiments because I have so many deal-breaker notes. But as I was filling my cart, it was still there. And Puddin's voice whispered, "It's on your hair, not your skin..." And then a bottle jumped into the cart.

In the Bottle: I pulled off the cap and the first impression was some kind of musk, leaning toward the masculine side. Unscrewing the top for a better sniff produces a smoky note, maybe some evergreen, and a splash of something fruity. It feels very autumn-y.

Spritzed on Dry Hair: Um...wow. Burning charcoal briquettes. Did I get Single Note: Bonfire? Or tobacco? Strongly ashy smoke and maybe just the faintest trace of that fruity-orangey note.

Verdict: I will of course try again in the morning with my usual application on wet hair and blow-drying. If it stays the way it is now, it's most definitely an evocative scent, but not one I would reach for. I'd look to swap for someone else's CTHG that runs more to my tastes.

ETA: And now, a couple of hours after applying, it's gone a bit more toward the woodfire than tobacco or charcoal, and there's now also an underlying sweetness to it that makes me think of one of my favorite Halloween blends (Halloween from Possets). Might have to ponder this one some more.

ETA2: Traditional application of spritzing on wet hair & massaging through produces the same morphing of a stage of charcoal smoke setting into a much more pleasant woodsmoke. However, the tantalizing underlying sweetness of yesterday is not there. I think it must have been leftover Peach & Vanilla Orchid HG contributing.

So if anyone got a pretty floral HG and would rather have a woodsy smoke HG, meet me in the Swaps forum? ETA: Sold!

Edited by puck_nc

Bottle: LXXVI

How I use it: 4 spritzes on hands, run hands through wet hair. Haven't tried on dry hair.

Wet on hands: 70 FOOT TALL MINT MONSTER. Sharp, strong IN YOUR FACE MINT. Seriously, my eyes are watering.

Wet on hair: So, now the 70 ft tall mint monster is attacking. The mint has gotten stronger. My sinuses are completely cleared and my eyes are still watering. It's like I've fallen into a vat of mint extract. However, it's not pure mint. There's something else there that I can't quite identify that's grounding it slightly. I can't figure out what it is, but it's "dark" if that makes any sense. It's the note that made me think "mint monster" instead of "giaganto mint leaf". It's almost "Nuclear Winter" to my nose, but not quite – sharper, meaner, darker.

Dry hair: Whoa. Soft subtle mint. Most all of the sharpness and intensity is gone. It's not a sweet mint or a vanilla mint or even a creamy mint though. It reminds me a lot of the mint note in "Lick It", but again – not quite.

I think it'll go great with the minty perfumes in my collection – it'll be fabulous with MB: Tokyo Stomp, I know. I can see me getting a lot of use out of this in the middle of winter (it just screams "wear me on a snow day!") as well as in the middle of our miserably hot summers (to be refreshing). Love it!

Bottle: xxvIII

This one is Honey scented and it really reminds me of Cockaigne. It was the first time i got to try out a hair gloss let alone the chaos theory. Thankfully i got one that i really like but the gamble is part of the charm in chaos.

Bottle: LXXII

Though it isn't a scent I would normally go for this one is really nice. I'm not good at picking out the individual notes hut this is a very warm scent. It reminds me of the scent that lingered in the air when I worked as a massage therapist at an Aveda spa.

Warm and a bit green (but not sharp).

LXIX

This reminds me so much, both in the bottle and when I first squirt it on, of Loup Garou. The other thought is being deep in a evergreen forest. As it goes down, it starts making me reminisce of Jabberwocky. Almost like I had put loup on earlier and then swiped some Jabberwocky over the remnants.

I really love this and will not share it.

CVII

This one is completely different from the other. It starts out smelling like dark chocolate and mint. It hits me as a peppermint patty. And, yes, it makes me hungry smelling it. I don't know too much of the middle, but the chocolate burns off first, leaving a reminder of one of the Lick Its. From there, it fades to a vanilla and floral scent.

Yet another wonderful scent that I will enjoy using until the end.

On a side note, I spray about six spritzes into my entire hair. LXIX lasts for a couple of days, while CVII seems to disappear after one day. Of course, it's fresher than the first, so it may need a little more rest for longer time to last.

Edited by anaengel

XCVIII

Yeah...I'm not better at picking out the notes in this one. So far, I've only smelled it via a drop on my hand, in the bottle, and a quick spray on a strip of clean cotton. At first, I thought that this was floral. But there's something a little sharper in it. Not pine--it's not that strong. Maybe a hint of lemongrass/lemon peel or something like that, though? And behind that, there seems to be something fruity, too. The actual gloss itself is yellow, if that helps anyone pin down what notes might be in it.

Overall, I haven't tried it on my hair yet, but I'm not in love with this one like I was the other bottle. I wish I was better at working out notes, because I might consider trading it over in the Swaps section. But I'm afraid I'm describing it all wrong, and someone with a better nose than me will want it and be unhappy when they get it.

my bottle is labeled # III

I can't for the life of me place the notes on this. I'm fairly confident with food smells, resins and some standard florals (rose, violet, ylang ylang, jasmine, etc) but I'm not able to identify much from here.

it's a bit of an outer space scent for me. there's something high and bright and silvery and pale shiny purple about it. (maybe traces of indol or lavender or eucalyptus are present here, but again with this whole blend it's hard for me to confidently identify anything.) it's rather celestial and has a hint of powdery to it (but not baby powder, thank the stars). it's rich and strong and lasts for days.

at first I was a bit disappointed as this is very much removed from my standard arsenal of smells, but I've come to adore this scent. as it's out of my comfort zone, I tend to not wear it out when I'm in a crowd so much as when I'm home or out doing my own thing.

it has a mix of beautiful and compelling and slightly disconcerting.

my CT HG is pretty much this in a bottle:

david-bowie-glam-ziggy-vintage-classic-r

thanks, Puddin, for my magical bowie clown hair treat!

Edited by annemathematics

Got two decants.

III

In Bottle: MINT! AND BOOZE! And a touch of currant? (Or some other berry.)

In Hair Small Test: More booze than mint now, but the berry's still hanging in the back ground.Also, it's gone a touch musty? Which is what the lab's snow note does too, so the mint might be related (or it could be my nose being weird from sinuses right now).

Verdict: While not necessarily my thing, I do like it quite a bit, and will be lovely paired with some of the Yules I have.

VII

In Bottle: OMG! IS THIS...?!?!? *skin tests against another scent* IT IS! It's pretty much an ever so slightly different version of last year's Harvest Moon. :thud: I think the leaf note's the traditional one over the red leaves, but it's nearly identical.

In Hair Small Test: Yup, same here.

Verdict: I HOPE this ages okay because I'd love to have some around for next fall. But as I liked Harvest Moon as an early summer scent too, this should work then as well. Hiding it away for now though!

LXXXIII

This one is predominately rose, with a dark, somewhat gritty something else that I can't quite place. Patchouli? Sandalwood? I think there might be bergamot, too? It's hard to tell, the rose is super strong and kind of obscuring the other notes, haha. It smells similar to Snooty Rose, actually, minus the plum and oud. I'm not usually a big fan of rose scents on me, but I wore this in my hair all weekend and it's actually very nice! It also has amazing throw and lasts foreeever, with other glosses I usually have to hold my hair up to my nose to smell them after a few hours but this creates a lovely cloud of dark, sophisticated rose that lasts well over a day. :D

C

When I got this yesterday and sniffed it I was so ridiculously pleased because it smelled gorgeous and was more *me* than the other bottle. I couldn't place it at all, though. It smelled wonderfully sweet and familiar but I just couldn't pin down where I smelled this before. I spritzed some in my hair before bed and then I had an epiphany when I woke up this morning and caught a whiff of it as I turned over to shut the alarm off. I think this is marshmallow! I pulled out my tester of the Gorobble to compare and they have the same sort of sweetness, only the gloss doesn't have that cinnamon note that the Gorobble has. Overall, this gloss is perfect because it doesn't smell like a dead ringer for marshmallow, but it has that warm, comforting sweetness that'll mesh well with a lot of my day-to-day bpals. :heart:

I'm so happy with these, thank you for making such wonderful creations, Puddin! :wub2:

[edit]

I tried C again after my evening shower and it smells a little different from this morning. It's still warm and sweet but there's something decidedly autumnal about it, too, which I fucking looooove. Thing is, I can't figure out what the notes might be. I don't know if it's even actual autumn notes or the notes just happen to be evocative of autumn, haha. I hope I have another epiphany because I really really adore this and I want to know exactly what's in it!

Edited by tharsei-thanate

Mine is labeled LXXXI. The person I got it from described it as charcoal briquettes and smoke. I swear I'm getting Tiger Balm and lemon creme cookies... o.O

But that's Chaos Theory for you!

I'm a little disappointed that it isn't smokier on me -- I have a bottle of Burning Book that I regularly use to scent my hair, and I'd love something similar as a hair gloss. That said, I LOVE the way this smells! It hits that edge between spicy and medicinal that I adore, with a deeply foody vanilla/creme cookie backbone underneath it.

My bottle is XLII. So let me just start by saying that my bottle of Chaos Theory HG is unlike any other HG I have. Not just because of the scent but the gloss itself it so heavily scented the perfume oil separates out from the gloss oil. So there is this thick layer of scented goodness that settles at the bottom of the bottle. It needs a swirl before spraying. Also, usually HG kinda weighs your hair down as it shines and scents it, this gloss does not do that at all. It has a volume-pumping effect, it kinda grabs onto itself like a surf-spray or texturizing balm. Oh, and the scent? First off, it's a floral. I am not the best at picking out individual notes by the floral is a white one, gardenia or magnolia. For sure not jasmine or neroli. Also there is an amber element and something that is lending a incense vibe, maybe frankincense. Way off I think there is something sweet, but not sure. The most prominent note is the floral for sure.

ETA: So I am re-visiting the review because I just got my Luper decants and this gloss smells just like Venus Cloacina. Gardenia, frankincense and a touch of vanilla.

Edited by AlectoFurious

I received my 2nd hg a few days ago but wanted to let it decide when it had settled down :-p

On first spritz i couldn't decide if this smelled more like Independent (fizzy lemon-lime) or if there was an evergreenish note in there too...

I still can't decide.

This is nice but i am not sure it will go with anything i wear...

Edited to add the number! XCVI :-)

Edited by Herb Girl

LXXXIX - 89

I admit, when I got this, I was like, really? :/ I swear it's jasmine and ylang ylang-- two of my most hated notes. Maybe a lily or something, too?

Except... it's actually amazing. It smells a lot like my memory of Aveda's Brilliant line. It's very Aveda-smelling, at any rate. And I *LOVE* it. I'm really not one for florals, but this evokes the spa, and it's fantastic, especially since we've had such a dreary winter. I really needed the pick-me-up of this uplifting, relaxing scent. I wish I could duplicate it because I'm going through it at an alarming rate!

LXXXV - received as a decant from Ordo_ad_Chao -- this is SO AMAZING, I just had to come say. I'm terrible at picking out notes -- there's definitely a fruit note in the dried apricot/date range, and a cakey-ness, and some kind of musk, I think.

But I don't really care about notes, because I put this in my hair yesterday and spent all day smelling AWESOME, and getting compliments, and letting my close friends sniff my hair and get more compliments.

... actually, I care about the notes just enough to wish I knew, because I'd like to encourage the Post to make about a million similar hair glosses so I can buy more.

ETA: Now that I've had a little more time with it, I'm pretty sure this one has an osmanthus note in there. It's so lovely, osmanthus and cake.

Edited by TeaOtter

Decant - labeled LXI

WOW!!! Smells like a cherry/almond pastry. Maybe a slight hint of some booze note. Can't wait to try! Will update when I use it in my hair tomorrow!

Ok....so ON my damp hair..

Yes, cherry and some almond and a pastry/cake-like scent. Surprisingly not so strong once applied. Pretty strong in the bottle and for a few seconds on, but then it really softens to a lovely, pale, and sweet cherry almond scent! I SO love this!

To me, this is a perfect spring/summer hg. Not too heavy scent-wise, but enough to get whiffs of the fruit/pastry yummy-ness! ;)

Edited by Numanoid

Decant - labeled LXI

WOW!!! Smells like a cherry/almond pastry. Maybe a slight hint of some booze note. Can't wait to try! Will update when I use it in my hair tomorrow!

I think I sent you that!!! I got cherry/almond pastry from LXI as well!