Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
AntInBedlam

Sell me on patchouli?

Reviving this- read through, and wrote down a couple of less scary suggestions...

I'm not a big patchouli fan. My papermaking teacher's supplies always smelled so strongly of it, and my mother loves Lush's Karma Kream (I loathe it!), and in general most patchouli seems to drive me away.

I do however, trust the variety the lab seems to have. What made me start wondering is the TINY half full imp of Count Dracula I was lucky enough to get. It's supposed to have black patchouli in it, but I ADORE it (and mourn that I can't get a bottle) and I do not smell what I think of as patchouli at all. I tried baba yaga today- not bad, but it had some of the patchouli note that I'm not overly fond of, but not terrible either? Certainly not as gaggy as Karma kream but eehh Just not what I wanted.

Any suggestions? Count Dracula really threw me with how wonderful it was. Maybe there's some patchouli out there that I won't loathe?

Reviving this- read through, and wrote down a couple of less scary suggestions...

I'm not a big patchouli fan. My papermaking teacher's supplies always smelled so strongly of it, and my mother loves Lush's Karma Kream (I loathe it!), and in general most patchouli seems to drive me away.

I do however, trust the variety the lab seems to have. What made me start wondering is the TINY half full imp of Count Dracula I was lucky enough to get. It's supposed to have black patchouli in it, but I ADORE it (and mourn that I can't get a bottle) and I do not smell what I think of as patchouli at all. I tried baba yaga today- not bad, but it had some of the patchouli note that I'm not overly fond of, but not terrible either? Certainly not as gaggy as Karma kream but eehh Just not what I wanted.

Any suggestions? Count Dracula really threw me with how wonderful it was. Maybe there's some patchouli out there that I won't loathe?

I think Beth uses black patchouli in her 'dirt' note. It would make sense that Count Dracula would need dirt ;) Why not seek out some dirt? Like Graveyard Dirt or Burial for example.

Have you tried Nosferatu? Patchouli is not a listed note but it has a Count Dracula vibe and smells ungghhhffff. Al-Sharain and Blood Countess are in the same vein. VILF evokes the vampire from the grave too. A sexy vampire from the grave.

Also, I find the patchouli in At the Mid Hour of Night to be less headshop and more "pure." Maybe because its white patchouli? If you like leather, I'd suggest the White Rider. Final long shot suggestions are Malediction, Vixen, and Carnal. I find these blends to temper the patchouli so its less hippie and more vampiric.

I like patchouli in most of it's incarnations, be i5 woody, dirty, or my favorite, floral! Don't get me wrong, sometimes I want to smell like a tree hugging hippie but I feel patchouli can smell good without that "vibe"

Edited by sprout

Here is another fairly recent thread:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/86808-the-perfect-patchouli/?do=findComment&comment=2526090

But if you want a thorough education on BPAL patchouli, go here:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/21428-bpal-patchouli/?do=findComment&comment=40522

Ah, yes, I saw those, but the suggestions were hard to comb through because of all the patchouli fandom. I need people to realize how gunshy I am about patchouli. But I will probably take another look through the main patchouli thread to try to figure out the differences between the different types.

I think Beth uses black patchouli in her 'dirt' note. It would make sense that Count Dracula would need dirt ;) Why not seek out some dirt? Like Graveyard Dirt or Burial for example.

Haha, true, Dirt was an important element in the lore!

I have tried Nosferatu- I really loved it, excepting the last odd powdery thing it did towards the end. Going to be trying it again sometime to see if it was a fluke or not. I have tried deep in earth and liked it well enough but I have not looked into graveyard dirt or burial and I will remedy this!

Have you tried Nosferatu? Patchouli is not a listed note but it has a Count Dracula vibe and smells ungghhhffff. Al-Sharain and Blood Countess are in the same vein. VILF evokes the vampire from the grave too. A sexy vampire from the grave.

Also, I find the patchouli in At the Mid Hour of Night to be less headshop and more "pure." Maybe because its white patchouli? If you like leather, I'd suggest the White Rider. Final long shot suggestions are Malediction, Vixen, and Carnal. I find these blends to temper the patchouli so its less hippie and more vampiric.

I like patchouli in most of it's incarnations, be i5 woody, dirty, or my favorite, floral! Don't get me wrong, sometimes I want to smell like a tree hugging hippie but I feel patchouli can smell good without that "vibe"

I did like Nosferatu- way cleaner than I thought, though it did go a little odd on me, and I am hoping that was travel shock or something. Going to be letting him sit around a bit before trying again. I'll look into some of these... patchouli is just so puzzling to me. Again, don't know why Count Dracula would be so so pretty and Baba Yaga would have that tang I dislike. I really don't know all the tricks patchouli can pull- or so I suspect.

Sign in to follow this