Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
AntInBedlam

Sell me on patchouli?

Newbie scent-purchaser here. My spouse claims to hate all things patchouli. He finds it stinky like unwashed bodies and pot-smokers, and in my very limited experience, I have to agree, even though I think there must be more to it than that since I see blends with patchouli in them all the time.

Is there a lighter or softer or less "in your face" patchouli? An oil that's a must try for people who think they don't like patchouli? Even a blend that contains patchouli as a pleasant supporting character?

Any help or information would be appreciated -- I keep seeing great oils have lots of notes I want to try but the patchouli scares me off. Thanks!

Edited by quicksilver

Newbie scent-purchaser here. My spouse claims to hate all things patchouli. He finds it stinky like unwashed bodies and pot-smokers, and in my very limited experience, I have to agree, even though I think there must be more to it than that since I see blends with patchouli in them all the time.

Is there a lighter or softer or less "in your face" patchouli? An oil that's a must try for people who think they don't like patchouli? Even a blend that contains patchouli as a pleasant supporting character?

Any help or information would be appreciated -- I keep seeing great oils have lots of notes I want to try but the patchouli scares me off. Thanks!

Here are some of my suggestions :)

Crowley- Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

Sed Non Satiata- A pounding heartbeat coalesced into scent: demonic passion and brutal sexuality manifested through myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk.

Urd- Muscadine, black and red patchouli, cereus and nag champa.

Sin- Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Al-Shairan- His scent is fiery, bright and thick with sweet sinfulness: clove, peach and orange with cinnamon, patchouli and dark incense notes.

Masquerade- A festive, dazzling blend, layered in mystery and intrigue. Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

Tombeur- Deadly and seductive: vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil.

Edited by Haltija

What I have learned on my BPAL journey through the years is that patchouli amps on me. Any perfume that had patchouli in it would see the note stomp all over the others and leave me with a scent akin to "stale head shop". But so many of the blends are divine in the bottle.

And then I discovered that when it came to musk, if the musk was "white" or "crystal" or "blue" it would play more nicely with the other notes and not amp all over the place. I adjusted my ordering habits accordingly.

Fast forward to last year, and a sweet Lilith's Birthday blend called "Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending" (white patchouli with Provence rose, delicate freesia, pink tuberose, jasmine sambac, orange blossom, butterfly musk, vanilla orchid, and delicate spices). The white patchouli caught my eye, as it was the first time I could remember ever seeing white next to patchouli. I bit. And it was breathtaking.

And now I pay attention to blends with white patchouli in them.

Here is a link for the handful of BPAL blends that use it. Looks like it's mostly a limited-edition ingredient, but there are two current LEs with it: Yucca Giant-Skipper and Visions of Autumn VI.

What puck_nc said about white patchouli! I love it in all its dirty hippie variations, and Yucca Giant Skipper is lovely. Definitely predominant, but sweet and it fades over a few hours to nothing. Not that lingering scent (that I love :D) that may be too much for some people.

Maybe look for decants of a few different ones?

Good luck! :)

For GC (General Catalogue), I'd recommend Sin and Snake Oil. Both are definite patchouli blends, but not the dirty-hippie kind of patchouli.

If/when you get into LEs (Limited Edition), try Laughter of Loki, my absolute favorite patchouli blend. It's what patchouli should smell like.

I wish Snake Oil was available (I'm not ready to dive into decants yet) -- I'm hugely curious about it but my bpal-enabler (aka roommate) says she didn't care for it. Crowley sounds like it'd be perfect; she loves leather scents! I suspect I'm more of a romantic floral type, even if I secretly would like to be a dark, spicy, sensual incensy type. :lol:

I added Vixen to our "broaden our horizons" imp order. It's one that really caught my eye for the other notes (orange blossom and ginger? yes please) but I passed on because of the patchouli. But it's really too bad there aren't any GC white patchouli scents available.

I'm definitely going to put Masquerade and Depraved on the "get eventually" list! Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by quicksilver

For GC (General Catalogue), I'd recommend Sin and Snake Oil. Both are definite patchouli blends, but not the dirty-hippie kind of patchouli.

If/when you get into LEs (Limited Edition), try Laughter of Loki, my absolute favorite patchouli blend. It's what patchouli should smell like.

Seconding Laughter of Loki. It's green and sharp and very much NOT a head shop scent while still being patchouli heavy.

I wish Snake Oil was available (I'm not ready to dive into decants yet) -- I'm hugely curious about it but my bpal-enabler (aka roommate) says she didn't care for it. Crowley sounds like it'd be perfect; she loves leather scents! I suspect I'm more of a romantic floral type, even if I secretly would like to be a dark, spicy, sensual incensy type. :lol:

I added Vixen to our "broaden our horizons" imp order. It's one that really caught my eye for the other notes (orange blossom and ginger? yes please) but I passed on because of the patchouli. But it's really too bad there aren't any GC white patchouli scents available.

I'm definitely going to put Masquerade and Depraved on the "get eventually" list! Thanks for the help everyone!

Crowley is a great beginner's patch blend because so much else is going on with it. For me, it's much more leather forward, and the patchouli blends really well with the musk and oakmoss to really become something different but still recognizably patchouli.

We just placed an order and Vixen was on there. Just couldn't resist the other notes! I can't wait!

What all did you end up purchasing besides Vixen? This is exciting (:

We just placed an order and Vixen was on there. Just couldn't resist the other notes! I can't wait!

I hope you like it. Please report back if you find some patch scents that work for you. (For the good of present and future forumites as well as my own curiosity)

Vixen!!!!!!!!

My friend placed the order, so I'm not sure what LEs she got although I'm pretty sure she got Jareth (her favorite of all the ones she's tried). These are the imps, though. She likes the leather, rose, and dirt notes so I made sure to include lots of those (I forgot about Zombi!). She already had Nosferatu and Yorick. Both very nice, but if I want to smell like freshly turned dirt I've got a garden I could be tending. :lol:

Aunt Caroline’s Joy Mojo, Belle Époque, Belle Vinu, Deep In Earth, Dragon’s Heart, Hell’s Belle, Highwayman, Hollywood Babylon, Jezebel, Kabuki, Kubla Khan, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Lyonesse, Manhattan, Muse, Penny Dreadful, Rome, Roses, Pearls and Diamonds, The Black Rider, The Black Tower, The Harlot’s House, Titania, Vixen, Whip
I tried to get a good range and touch on some of the more controversial notes like vetiver (I can't wait for Highwayman -- I love gardenias) and rose (one of my favorite scents). I'm glad I could get at least one with patchouli. What really sold me on Vixen is the orange blossom -- there is absolutely nothing like an orange tree in bloom. It smells the way you wish oranges would taste.

My friend placed the order, so I'm not sure what LEs she got although I'm pretty sure she got Jareth (her favorite of all the ones she's tried). These are the imps, though. She likes the leather, rose, and dirt notes so I made sure to include lots of those (I forgot about Zombi!). She already had Nosferatu and Yorick. Both very nice, but if I want to smell like freshly turned dirt I've got a garden I could be tending. :lol:

Aunt Caroline’s Joy Mojo, Belle Époque, Belle Vinu, Deep In Earth, Dragon’s Heart, Hell’s Belle, Highwayman, Hollywood Babylon, Jezebel, Kabuki, Kubla Khan, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Lyonesse, Manhattan, Muse, Penny Dreadful, Rome, Roses, Pearls and Diamonds, The Black Rider, The Black Tower, The Harlot’s House, Titania, Vixen, Whip
I tried to get a good range and touch on some of the more controversial notes like vetiver (I can't wait for Highwayman -- I love gardenias) and rose (one of my favorite scents). I'm glad I could get at least one with patchouli. What really sold me on Vixen is the orange blossom -- there is absolutely nothing like an orange tree in bloom. It smells the way you wish oranges would taste.

Since you are a huge lover of rose you are going to absolutely fall inlove with Whip. It is sooo incredibly beautiful. It's probably going to end up being a big bottle purchase in the future.

When you start looking at LE scents, you should see about tracking down some Lawn Gnome - it's a summer 2009 blend that completely turned me from "patchouli? Isn't that kind of a hippie thing?" to "omfg love". It's sweet, rich, and delicious, and the patchouli really behaves itself. The notes are "red currant, molasses, vanilla cream, moss, and patchouli", and you can check out the reviews here. :)

Desire (bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla) is a lovely GC blend with very well behaved patchouli. Sweet, floral, and incensey.

If you like dirt and rose, you must try Zombi. It's one of my all time faves.

This is the second topic I've seen whip mentioned in this morning and I've never tried it. That one sounds awesome. I wonder if I already have an imp of it that I've overlooked. Need to check...otherwise that might have to go on my future order wishlist.

Oh and also for the rose scent - in the yules update - keep your eye out for Rose Red and Peacock Queen. Rose red was unfortunately all stems on me but Peacock Queen is the most gorgeous rose scent.

Edited by TallGrrl78

I'll add a vote for Snake Oil and for Al-Shairan (that one was the most glorious spicy orange-peach thing on me!), and for Laughter of Loki if you're willing to hunt for an LE. LoL is a green, spicy, only lightly earthy scent, and I love it; it's not at all what most expect patchouli to smell like!

Lots of good choices in that imp selection of yours (I love Hell's Belle, Lyonesse, and Titania, and Highwayman turned out great on my fiance, even if the vetiver hated me), and I would suggest that if you like rose, you may want to try Phantom (Myrrh, dark musk, attar of rose and ylang ylang), as it was one of the scents that totally sold me on the Lab's rose note. It's sweet, a little dark but not overpoweringly "dark, spicy, sensual incensy type", and definitely not too old-lady-ish. Again, if you're willing to hunt down old LEs, then I'd suggest possibly finding Ossa Arida for your rosy needs (Frankincense, golden amber, bourbon vanilla, gurjum balsam, and Bulgarian rose), as it's another very nice, smooth rose scent.

I know that for me the scent that convinced me that patchouli didn't have to be the dirty, unwashed scent I always envisioned and could instead be very sweet and rich was Ravenous (Red patchouli sweetened by orange blossom), and it also has orange blossom. I find it very comforting and pleasant, which utterly surprised me, since I was a big patchouli hater up until then!

DIONYSIA.

Everyone loves it on me and raves about how good it smells, and when they ask what's in it, they say, "Patchouli? Huh. I HATED patchouli until I smelled this."

Patchouli is also one of those things that gets much smoother and sweeter and less hippie-dirty as it ages, so if you find a blend you like but the patchouli is a little strong? Put it away for at least one year, try it again, and give it one more year before you decide for sure.

Edited by marared

Hope you don't mind me bumping this. :) I found Visions of Autumn III to be a soft, snuggly patchouli. With the bourbon vanilla toning it down I find it to be a perfect blend to wear anytime. ^.^

I love Visions III too and agree with your description, Leira.

So many BPAL fans adore Goblin, but it's always seemed like the patchouli was on the raw, hippy-dippier side of the scale. But Gingerbread Goblin is so different to me! The patchouli seems so much softer and fuzzier.

And for anyone trying to find a smoother, more mellow patchouli, my advice is always: age it, age it, age it. Patchouli seems to get softer as it ages. The woodiness that seems so raw to me in fresh patchouli becomes more of a spiciness.

Blacker than the Raven Wings of Midnight. The patchouli is so, so different than any other I've smelled - even my supersensitive, patchouli-despising friend thinks it smells amazing. It's LE, but currently available.

Edited by Myria Jean

Sign in to follow this