Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ClockworkMoM

Very Pink Surprise Cake

A few weeks before DragonCon this year, I took ill with a persistent, irritating, gooey flu. To cheer up me up, my crazy, wonderful daughter and her crazy, wonderful dad threw me a surprise party. They decorated Lilith's room, baked me a cake in the Easy Bake Oven (it tasted very pink), and brought me little gifts, including a ridiculously pink lipstick, some balloons and noisemakers, and a bottle of OxyClean. (Long story.)

This perfume captures the ridiculously pink scent of that ridiculously pink cake. I love my family.

Smells like sweet, buttery, strawberry cake. Yum! Light and sweet. Definitely foodie, but definitely enjoyable to wear for non-foodie me. This is simply a happy scent; I could not stop smiling everytime I smelled it on myself :)

In the bottle: Definitely pink. This sweet concoction reminds me of a strawberry cake from one of those boxed cake mixes. I get more strawberry than cake, though.

Wet: Strawberry cake, but then it morphs into a scent reminiscent of strawberry bubblegum. Then, I get the buttery quality of the cake, but the strawberry bubblegum-like scent is still present. This scent just seems to be getting sweeter the longer it is on my skin.

Dry: Definitely strawberry cake (and not bubblegum now), but it's still super sweet.

Verdict: This is too pink and sweet for me. I ordered a bottle because I love the story behind it, and I like the scent of cake, but I am not very fond of strawberry in a perfume. I will either put my bottle up for swap or send it to one of my siblings.

Edited by dementia_divine

As a foodie, this had my name all over it. I was just concerned that the cake part would go acetone on me.. sometimes that buttery note goes straight to hell on me and ruins my life. Wet, it has a hint of that death note on me.. like it's gonna turn and make me sad.. but then .... as it dries down it becomes perfectly pink, strawberry bubblegummy frosting goodness. The cake finally comes out at dry down on me but I still get a hint of that bubblegum powder, which I love, so this is fantastic. Don't be scared off by the bubblegum tho.. it really does smell like cake and frosting. Honestly, if i closed my eyes and sniffed.. it's like someone stuck a piece of cake under my nose.

12/11 - I ended up selling this off. It had zero staying power on me and I just couldn't smell it at all.. it just disappeared.. I'm starting to think I will never find a cake scent to work for me. I haz a sad.

Edited by MineralGirl

Of course, my first thought Is...

Very pink, such cake, WOW. :lol:

Today I am giving this a full wear test, and on me , it is foodie, but not 100% foodie. It is very similar to a strawberry Eat Me - I am getting the sweet strawberry, but also the incense-y cake that I get from Eat Me.

I :wub: this, but then I love Eat Me. I'm not sure what it is that comes out as sweet incense, but I do love it. No bubblegum here, just incense cake with strawberry icing.

:D

Edited by ltrittipoe

Yes, it's pink :)

Two scents come to mind while sniffing this in bottle and on my skin and they are:

Beaver'versary & Beaver Moon 2010. BM 2010 is pure strawberry sweet candy to me while Beaver'versary is pure birthday cake.

Mix those two together and you have Very Pink Surprise Cake. I love it, but since I already have multiples of the parents, I'll just be needing one of the baby :D

ETA: people are comparing this to Sprinklecake which did not work for me (I can't remember why)...so don't be put off if Sprinklecake didn't work for you!

Edited by ladyjc

I can definitely see comparisons to Sprinklecake. I think they have the same cake note, but this one is all sugary pink frosting. I think it is strawberry buttercream frosting and sprinklecake. Sprinklecake didnt work on my but this one is OK. Not as good as my beloved Cake Smash, but a great cake scent none the less. I do not get a bubblegum note at all.

Cake batter like alright. But with a rose note being prominent as well. Maybe there are ediable rose petals on the top of this cake?

It is strawberry, but an underground strawberry that may have started life in a Haight Asbury head shop. So it doesn't quite feel like a child's cake, but rather a grownups version.

The label most unfortunately printed too dark to distinguish the faces. Which might be just as well because photos of children mass distributed can have disatrous results.

I love the label on this! I remember making a post on social media when the events that inspired this smell happened. Flu sucks but this is a precious memory encapsulated.

In the bottle: Strawberry cake to the extreme! strawberry Duncan Hines cake mix baked in a tiny oven with strawberry frosting. I almost feel like there may be a tiny bit of the scent of the very pink lipstick that was a gift as well because there is just something...different mixed in there. It's not plasticy smelling but if you have ever smelled a brand new tub of revlon lipstick, you will know what I am talking about.

On me: MMMMMMM strawberry buttercream frosting with the cakey note still being prevalent. The buttercream frosting mellows out and the cake note because drier. Now it smells more like strawberry angel food cake.

I am probably going to plow right through this bottle because I love the smell and I feel like I need to reapply it every two hours to get the rich-cakey smell effect to keep going. I don't agree with the Sprinklecake comparison as that one is intense chocolate cupcakes and this one is sweet, strawberry cake. No chocolate. It totally reminds me of all the birthday parties that I went to for my friends when I was little.

So, I have had this for a few days and I wore it to work today. I smell very strongly of that cherry-pink cake at this moment.

However, since I am an old person and have been wearing BPAL for a long time I definitely get a strong nostalgia link to 'I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain' from Dark Delicacies... um, 2008? There are some differences but the basic idea is very similar and I think it is because of the 'cake' and 'strawberry' together. Very Pink Surprise Cake has the same strong berry fruit note, but it is not quite as spicy floral (minus carnation) and I definitely don't get the rindy grapefruit I get from IFILWAFB. That being said, this is nice, but for me, not hoardworthy as I may have a few brains in my closet already.

If you liked IFILWAFB or missed it, this is definitely a nice supporting player.

In decant: SWEET! Sugar....PINK!

On skin: SWEET! Sugar....very PINK!

Dry down: SWEET.....sugar. If "pink" had a scent, this would be it. I think I got a cavity just sniffing it! If you want ueber sweet...this is for you!!!

Woah! 'A Very Pink Surprise Cake' definitely makes a bold first impression! This has the Lab's classic cake note that we all go crazy for along with buttercream frosting and a kiss of strawberry. The berry isn't dominant, instead it's juuuuuust enough to make your brain think PINK. I agree with the comparison to 'I Fell In Love With A Floating Brain', except AVPSC is more simplistic. I'm with Duskinhereyes, I don't think this smells like Sprinklecake since it doesn't have chocolate in it. This is very simply, a hyper sweet, strawberry cake.

Foodies! Come hither!

Edited by Monster

This smelled exactly like I hoped - like my first Pink Moon from days of yore, sprinkled over freshly baked vanilla cake. Sometimes the Lab's cake/baked goods stuff can go syrupy on me (Sprinklecake and Monster Underbed) and turn me off very quickly - this doesn't do that, thank Goddess, but retains that warm strawberry cake smell. It is very long-lasting and strong - just a teeny dab is enough. Love it - this is very girly and innocent.

Straight up super sweet pink cake. This smells sweet, and pink, and like cake. Pretty much the description nails the scent straight on.

I've had problems with BPAL's cake note on me before, and as it dries it gets more plasticky. I suspect it may also have strawberry in it, which also has a tendency to go fake and plastic on my skin chemistry.

If however you can handle both the cake and strawberry part, as well as adore smelling like pink cakes, this one is for you.

In the imp: Extra sugary, buttery cake, with frosting and crystal sugar piled on top.

Wet on skin: My upper arm smells like it's been dipped in sugar, with a bit of coconut mixed in, but I also have eight other scents on my arms, so the coconut might be coming from that. Not sure. This is the large crystal sugar that get sprinkled on top of desserts for extra texture, but without the dessert underneath.

Dried down: As it dries down, I'm getting a bit more of the strawberry beneath the sugar, the bubblegum people are talking about. There is a slight sharpness to it - someone above mentioned acetone? And I think that's what I'm thinking of - just the slightest touch of nail polish remover. I know there was another scent that did that to me, but I can't remember which one.

Throw: Pink, pink, sugar. (And I just got the refrain from Spin, Spin, Sugar stuck in my head. wow, that's been awhile.) With a touch of strawberry.

Verdict: **** I really, really like this, but it might be just a touch too sweet for me. And that acetone touch hasn't disappeared yet. This might be another one that needs to age to reach perfection, though, so I'll definitely try out my decant again.

Super duper PINK and SWEET! I love this because it is so sweet and pink, it makes me so happy. I smell the sugary sweetness strong at first and then on the dry down there is delicious cake and strawberry sweetness. So cute! :wub2:

In the bottle: strawberry cake - like you were making some Duncan Hines.

On the skin: strawberry cake except REALLY SWEET

Dry down: strawberry cake that smells somewhat fake.

SO SWEET. It's okay. Nothing I'd buy a bottle for. But it's very interesting to me. I've never had any perfume cake related.

Wearing this gave me such a happy feeling. You get a cherry/strawberry sort of fruity scent blended in with a buttery cake scent. Unfortunately, this went on strong, surrounding me with such a happy, wonderful smell, and then faded into almost nothing. I tried it three days running and each time, within twenty minutes or so of drying completely, the scent would fade.

It's still a fantastic scent for a foody (like me) but there was nothing rich and grounding to make it stay.

Believe you me when I tell you that I waffled on buying a bottle of Very Pink Surprise Cake.

"But you're not a food-y person!" said my brain.

"But pink cake was your birthday cake of choice growing up!" said my heart.

“But you've tried cake scents before and they did not go well," said my brain.

"BUT PINK CAKE MEMORIES I DON'T CARE UNF!" screamed my heart.

Thankfully, I listened to my (admittedly loud) heart and bought myself a bottle because, guys and gals? THIS. This is IT. It's THAT scent. That scent I smelled almost every June 18th until I left home. It's the smell of that pink cake that my mother (and sometimes my grandmother) made from a box and slathered with pink frosting from a jar. A special pink cake for my special day.

This scent and Pralines and Powdered Sugar have made me rethink my anti-food-y-perfume stance just a bit. I won't be going over to the Food-y Dark Side any time soon (even if they do have cookies), but I'll definitely be a bit more open to certain kinds of food-y blends from now on.

P.S. Pink cake from a box with pink frosting from a jar is still my favoritest cake in the whole wide world and I am not ashamed. I want to die with a forkful of pink frosted cake in my mouth.

Edited by riddel

I smell the lipstick and the balloons! Also sugary pink frosting, artificial strawberry, and Duncan Hines mix. This is amazingly evocative, youthful fun. I'll definitely bust out the decant when I want cheering up. So much love and humor in this one.

this on me wasn't actually very cakey. it is very pink. hovering somewhere between cherry and strawberry. there's a richness to the scent but it's mostly bright and clean and sweet. very fun and wearable.

I'm generally not crazy about foodie scents, but this is so sweet and happy it is impossible not to like.

In the bottle: Sweet, buttery yellow cake and sugary strawberry frosting.

Wet: Still ridiculously sweet, innocent cake and sugared strawberries. This is like a memory of cutting the cake on your 10th birthday- all sugar and excitement.

Drydown: On me, the strawberries faded away upon drydown, leaving light spun sugar and buttery cake. This lasted a surprisingly long time on- my skin tends to gobble lighter, sweeter scents within an hour or so. This was still sticking around 3 hours later when I got into the shower.

Verdict: A surprise hit for me! A keeper for sure.

Ha - I would never, ever buy this because sugar is a no-go on me and I'm not a foodie gal. However, I am really glad someone frimped me a little tester (thank you!), because this is such a nice memory Beth shared with us.

This smells exactly, precisely like Easy Bake Oven pink cake. Sweet, vaguely strawberry-ish, and PINK. Period. There is no butter, no yellow cake, no frosting (at least to my nose.) It's a childhood-happy scent for sure.

Maybe I am smelling something different from everyone else, because once this is on my skin I really can't smell strawberry cake. This is amazing in the imp, sweet and cakey, and as soon as it gets onto my skin it morphs into something like a dirty vanilla lavender that vaguely has a cake scent. There is that dirty undercurrent that I cannot place. In all, I am pretty disappointed, because the scent in the imp smells so amazing.

This is great.

It smells like the combination of scents to me: the pink iced cake of Golletes topped with the sweet cherry/strawberry of Beaver Moon '07. It has a ton of throw and definitely reads strongly as foody, with even the fruit notes being the sticky candy versions of the fruit. Basically, if the name "very pink surprise cake" made you think you will like it... I think you will probably like it. The strawberry note actually reminds me a little of the strawberry note in Kitty (BPTP), which I don't think I've smelled elsewhere but really love.

I also did not like Sprinklecake, even though I tend to love cake-based scents (like, a lot, and see "stash" in my sig if you don't believe me), but this one really works for me. It's only the similarity to those other scents (that I already have and love, and could layer, hmmmm) that's got me unsure if I want more of this one. If you missed those scents and have a pink-cake-shaped-hole in your perfume collection, this one is a good candidate. :)

When I first put it on this smells distinctly like wet strawberry cake batter. I'm kind of amazed how spot on it is. My mother used to bake cakes from strawberry boxed mix and it smells exactly like that. It's not all strawberry though, after a little while the cake batter morphs into a sweet, warm vanilla musk that lingers for quite a while. Maybe I am slightly biased because I love foody smells, but my hubby (who is hard to please as far as perfumes go) loves it too so I had to get a bottle. :wub2: