Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tativa

Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha

Salutations to the supreme Lord Ganesh, whose curved trunk and massive body shines like a million suns and showers his blessings on everyone. Oh my lord of lords, Ganesha, kindly remove all obstacles, always and forever from all my activities and endeavors.

Lilith’s favorite deity - by far - is Ganesha, inspired by her kindergarten teacher and the works of Sanjay Patel. Her meditation technique, however, is as much a product of her Mom & Me practice at home as her enthusiastic love of Teen Titans. I’d attempted to persuade Lilith to meditate with me many times, but she didn’t have much of an interest in doing so until she started watching Teen Titans again in earnest. Kindergarten was a challenging transition year for her, and meditation was something she employed often to cope with the stress. I tried to encourage her to chant a variety of mantras, and she used many of Ganesha’s, but her go to was always Azarath Metreon Zinthos.

So, thank you, DC Comics, Sanjay Patel, and (especially) Ganesha, for helping give my daughter tools to help her through rough days.

This is a meditation blend that I created for Lilith: sweet frankincense, Mysore sandalwood, and a few drops of rose and clary sage.

I don't know how... but Beth managed to capture a long lasting frankincense note! This is the type of resin blend I'm always after, and it always fades so fast... this is a nice balance of frankincense with rose and a touch of clary that stays nice (but close to the skin) for hours. It is much more perfumey than I was expecting, and is a relaxing perfume more than aromatherapy, though it certainly has therapeutic value! It's sweet, but in a resin golden incense sort of way. <3 This one exceeded expectations by far!

I truly love this scent. It lingers closely to the skin like a secret... pulling you to your center. The sandalwood and frankincense are right in the forefront of the scent, warm and musing. And then, just as it hugs closer to you, a whisper of sage and rose dance through. Perfect and calming. ♡

Edited by knytesins

Purchase: Imp from a decant circle

In the imp: A very sharp, almost bitter green, scent with a slight rose undertone. I think I am mostly smelling the clary sage.

Test Area: Inside crook of elbow

Wet: Very similar to the imp, the sharpness has increased taking on a more medicinal herb feel. The faint rose note I was getting in the imp has vanished.

Drydown: Its lots the medicinal sharpness and has mellowed out to a green herb. Very, very faint whispers of rose are starting to peak through.

1 hour later: It seemed to take forever, but the rose, sandalwood and frankincense came out to play! Low throw and doesn’t seem to have much staying power on me, but what scent is there is very calming.

Thoughts: I really thought I would like this based on the notes, but it takes too long to mellow out into something acceptable to my nose. Sorry imp, you are off to the swap box. I wonder if I am sensitive to the smell of clary sage, because I was getting almost none of the other notes in the imp, and took forever before I could smell them on my skin.

Rose, clary sage, frankincense. This is a serene, contemplative, beautiful resinous blend. It's meant to be soothing and calming, and it is.

If you like slightly rose, resinous blends, give this a whirl.

In the decant: Mostly frankincense. There is a hint of rose.

Wet: The frankincense is the dominant note. The rose note has emerged, along with the clary sage. The scent is mainly a rose-y frankincense on me now.

Dry: Still mostly frankincense on me, with a bit of rose and clary sage. This one is really strong!

Verdict: I wondered if the Mysore Sandalwood note was the note I loved so much in Kit, and that was the main reason I tried this. (I discovered that it's not the note I love from Kit. That is, as I suspected, the creamy benzoin note.) I'm glad I was able to try it, but I can't really see myself wearing this one.

In imp: mostly frankincense with sage and sandalwood and a tiny bit of rose

Will update when I get to try it

Edited by Jangzonrice

I was excited to try this scent, but my wonky chemistry made it SUPER rose-y with a little bit of frankincense and sage. I'm bummed! I'll test it again, but will probably swap or gift the imp that I have.

this was very much rose and frank on me, with the sandalwood and clary sage adding their voices to make this unique among my bpal incense blends.

nice. very very much rose-heavy on me.

First, let me say how adorable the label is. Lilith sitting in mediation, serene as could be.

This scent is lovely. At first it's all green and resinous, much like the SN Olibanum. Slowly the frankincense smell I know and love comes out accompanied by shy woods and rose. Whatever clary sage is in here is used as a middle note -something to connect the woods/resin with the rose.

To me, this scent is Binah junior, the way Mlle Lilith is Mme Moriarty lite. After all its permutations, it becomes a barely there skin scent. The word that popped in to my head? *Tender*

This really is a great meditation scent. I love clary sage, and it definitely boosts this blend. Beautiful frankincense, sandalwood, rose, and clary sage—in equal proportion on me. Definitely mind clearing. At times, this goes into pickle-rose territory, which I think is just the intersection of frankincense and rose. But then it swerves out of pickle town and goes right back to resiny rose with sandalwood and clary sage. Very contemplative and relaxing.

I wasn't sure I was going to love this. Rose can be an iffy note which I amp,the sage also worried me just a bit, not sure why...

My decant arrived and I fell head over heels in love. Mad love. I slathered this so often that my decant was quickly used and I had to order a bottle. I'm kicking myself for not ordering ten bottles.

This is mostly wonderful frankincense with a bit of soft rose and a touch of the sage and sandalwood to my nose. It is the most fabulous grounding, aromatherapeutic scent. It's wonderful when I feel stressed or anxious. I sometimes wear it as a bedtime scent, it has that much of a calming effect.

Beth has truly created something fabulous here. It is a true meditative, centering, calming blend. This blend is hoard worthy, in my opinion. I'm afraid to ever be without it.

Lilith meditating on the label is a huge bonus :)

ETA: I totally agree with joyfulgirl. This frankincense in Om Gam is totally a dead ringer for the one in Hope and Fear Set Free, which is probably why I adore this so much. H&FSF is one of my all time favorite BPALs. Om Gam is also becoming an all time favorite.

Edited by Sammy

this frankincense is (to me) a dead ringer for the one in hope and fear set free. this blend is a bit quieter than hope and fear, but is just as lovely. it sits close to the skin, for me and the notes are well blended into one harmonious chord with the delightful frankincense as the base.

completely gorgeous and i cannot wait to wear it for a yoga class.

This is such a stunning blend. It is long lasting (overnight), but sits very close to the skin. Agree it is perfect for meditation and, yes, perhaps even yoga class, Joyfulgirl, as it is so close to the skin.

I do love rose, but have generally found it too powerful in the bpal oils (pretty, but powerful). In this blend it is a perfect whisper. (Although I see Annemathematics said it amped too much on her.)

This reminds me of the very beautiful EnTendre by House of Matriarch, but at a fraction of the price and longer lasting.

10/10!!!

ETA Several months later: This might be the most beautiful scent I have ever met. It has come into such lushness. The perfect incense, with just a hint of rose and sage. A stunner!

Edited by Minh Scent

I'm finally testing my decant! It's mostly frankincense to me, and then sage and rose, with maybe some sandalwood. I find this to be very calming. It's the kind of smell I'd like a room to smell like, and while it's very pretty and, I guess easy is a good word for this blend (in the sense that it's not a complicated or challenging scent), I don't know if I'll wear this often. Maybe to bed or when I need a calming scent.

I feel very relaxed after trying this, maybe too relaxed as my day is far from over:) imgetting frankincense and rose. Quite lovely, but not somethingb I'd wear as a perfume. It smells more like a utility blend to me.

I got this as a frimp from the lovely Scylla! :heart:

In the vial: frankincense & rose

Wet: sharp frankincense (oh noooo) and I think the sage.

Okay, so frankincense and I very rarely get along. For some reason it turns weird the instant it touches my skin - sharp, gritty-woody, vaguely soapy, and sour. This is a real shame for me, as someone who grew up very Catholic and associates the scent with Mass (I still find the ritual of Mass itself very calming though I don’t consider myself particularly Catholic anymore and don’t go often for that reason) and holiness, and has a real attraction to a lot of the Lab’s “holy” blends.

But...this isn’t as bad as I was anticipating by a long shot. The frankincense is definitely there - it’s not that it’s being overpowered by anything. I can smell the rose and the frankincense most strongly, and the rose has that sort of sour-ish quality I associate with rose-resin blends, but that sourness starts to fade a little bit.

If I get sandalwood at all, I get it as an undertone to the frankincense, which is most prominent on me, likewise the clary sage isn’t terribly strong.

I don’t think I can wear this as a perfume but I might hang on to it just because it is actually fairly calming despite the fact that frankincense and I don’t get along. (I bet if I dabbed it on something other than me it would be even better!)

Light, dry wood and dusty resins with a hint of sour rose. I usually enjoy these notes, but they don't work for me here. I think the clary sage is giving this an herbal, bitter, medicinal edge as well in the drydown.