Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dedee

Avunculus

In hindsight, it was something of an omen that Lilith would be born on Brian’s birthday. He was with her on the day of her birth, and I have no doubt that they will love each other eternally. Yes, they are family, but he is also her friend: her pillar of support, her precious uncle, dearer to her heart than he could possibly know.

I created this scent as much for Brian as I did for Lilith; it is the scent of the summer that lives in one’s heart. Orange blossom honey, white coconut, and pear with flecks of golden amber that glimmers like sunlight on water.

Out of the bottle this almost smells like a twist on a summer Pina Colada, so yummy... Wet on my skins it's just as it is described! Coconut, sweetened with honey, and ripe juicy pear combine to make a fantastic scent that I want to lick right off my wrist! The amber shows up far into the drydown and blends into the very scent that reminds me of slip-on sandals and short summer dresses. It's an adorable perfume, if there is such a thing. It's just sweet, innocent, and full of fun.

Yeah, I bought a bottle :)

This smells like summer at the beach when I was a kid. Seriously one sniff and suddenly it's 1989. My mom's suntan lotion, orange pushpops, water, and hot sun. I love it!

This one makes me smile. Its such a happy scent.

I'm getting a muted coconut bordering on suntan lotion.

Citrus notes tend to fade quickly from my skin but not in Avunculus. It's light but stays present.

I'm not getting any Pear but there is a slight fruity sweetness.

Something warm and golden, like sunshine, washing over the whole.

This does invoke a fun day at the beach. Lovely!

This is very sweet on me, with lots of honey and pear. I got a bit of coconut, but not much. It's a happy, beautiful scent and I wish honey and pear were in my wheelhouse, but they are just too much on my skin. Pear never, ever works for me, sadly.

If you like sweet, happy, summery scents this one is for you.

This is beautiful wet and for the first half hour once it's dry - a tiny touch of pear, quite a bit of coconut and a little powdery amber, but then it goes to beeswax and plastic - so sad :cry2:

I've worn Avunculus three times since it arrived! I absolutely love it. It is soft and summery.

The scent sticks close to my skin, so it isn't too much to wear to work.

Summery sunshine, the orange blossom honey is most prominent, with the coconut and honey making it feel more rich and velvety.

Lots of orange/orange blossom honey in here. Basically smells like golden citrus sunshine. But I swear there is tobacco in here somewhere.

Avunculus was very interesting for me because I definitely amped up the aquatic element in this blend. I got the ocean, amber, and hints of pear and coconut on wet.

It dried down to something very masculine and manly on me. It was a manly aquatic. Honestly, if you believed in mermen, this is what they smell like. Sunlight, ocean, the sand and surf in the beach.

Golden, manly, aquatic.

This went very white floral on me, almost gardenia. Then came the amber, almost sweet powder, and four hours later it is poof. I'm keeping the imp, but not going for a bottle/partial.

In the imp: Extremely orange. Like a really fresh, juicy orange. But with a lightness I think comes from the coconut and pear.

Wet on skin: Ok,on me, this just went to sharp and bitter orange.

Dried down: Well, it's lost the bitter edge. Very fruity.

Throw: This has a bit of throw. Again, very fruity and sweet.

Verdict: *** 1/* I really, really want to like this. I feel like I should. But this combination of fruit just isn't really doing anything for me.I think it's the pear mixed with the orange. It's nice, but I don't think I'd reach for it.

this is indeed a very bright, orangey happy scent! starts off with a burst of orange blossom, after which a very juicy pear comes through. it smells almost like an apple jolly rancher, or a pear one, if they made it in a pear flavor. smells a lot like hard candies and the scent is very true to it's description in being bright, sunny and happy. i seem to really be amping that pear though and it's turning a bit plasticky, and giving me a headache unfortunately. i'm glad i got to try it though, the idea behind this is so lovely and sweet.

some bpal honeys smell so good on me. horse chestnut honey, womb furie honeys, sweets to the sweet honeys.

sometimes honey notes go a little wacky on me though, and turn. strange and sweaty and just rather wrong.

this alas is one of those honeys that doesn't benefit from my skin chemistry.

initially on, this is a gorgeous perfume, orange blossom prominent. after about twenty minutes the honey took over and I could smell no other notes.

In the IMP/bottle it smells like a salty sweet melon with hints of the beach and coconut. Some suntan lotion there too.

On me it's coconut and flowers!! A gorgeous summary and fruity scent. Love it.

This went very white floral on me, almost gardenia. Then came the amber, almost sweet powder, and four hours later it is poof. I'm keeping the imp, but not going for a bottle/partial.

Yeah, this is about what happened with mine too. I got a bottle un-sniffed, and I think I'll be sending it off to a new home. I'm going to test it one more time though, hoping it was just hormonal/chemistry issues the first time.

In the bottle, I think what I got most was the amber of all things. On me, the orange blossom honey is strongest with some pear hiding behind it. It's more perfumey than fruity to my nose and like some others, I get a bit of a white floral feel. While this stage smells good, it's not at all what I expected from this combination of notes (I adore coconut and pear, honey is usually wonderful, and amber can go either way). I can definitely where others have gotten gardenia from this as that's almost exactly what it ends up smelling like dried down. I do like gardenia but I'm not feeling this blend much as I love the inspiration. It's so different to what I expected and wanted from it. I am envious of those who got pear pina colada type scents from this, that would have been perfect for me!

In bottle - honey

Wet: sharp flowers (?) and honey

As it dries: flowers sweetening up, still no pear or coconut.

It's turning into a lighter, sweet summery floral….and about three or four minutes in, here's the pear! This is completely different from what I thought it would be. So odd, since there's no flowers IN this!

The flowers are turning into a very tart pear. Still no coconut at all….or wait, is this it? It is!! NOW I get what Beth was going for - summer in a bottle! It takes a while to get there, but get there it does. Now I can't keep my nose off my wrist, it's all pear and coconut and Yummm! This is delicious!

In the bottle I definitely get the orange blossom and the coconut. On my skin, however, the honey completely takes over and dominates everything. Which is not surprising, as honey has a tendency to amp on me, but I was hoping it wouldn't do it this time, as all the other notes are win for me.

I'm not getting any amber or pear :(

Overall, not for me - too sweet and too much honey!

Avunculus is pretty much dry honey scented talcum powder for me in all stages - in the decant, wet, dry... :cry2:

I get no pear or coconut. I haven't tried any other blends with pear so I'm not sure if my skin just eats it or what. The blends with coconut I've tried have definitely been discernible. The golden amber must be what's so powdery. O has a similar powderiness on me, but the honey (and vanilla) save it there, whereas here the honey's not doing enough to keep it interesting. I've tested this a few times with the same result, so I'm chalking this one up to incompatible skinestry.

Orange blossom is definitely the strongest note both in the imp and wet, but it backs off somewhat as it dries. I don't really smell much coconut except for a vague feeling of "suntan oil" in the background of the scent. I love pear (favorite pear: The Perilous Parlor), but I get very little here, just a bit of sweet fruity standing behind the orange blossom honey.

I don't find it overwhelmingly sweet (but I have a definite sweet tooth when it comes to scents and tend to prefer things at the cake end of the not-cake to cake spectrum), but I do find it a bit light and the notes unfortunately aren't in the balance I was looking for. I like orange blossom, but it is definitely a loud note to me, and it stays in the forefront of this scent. I also wish I could smell more PEAR, but I don't disagree with the people who said melon -- it ends up being sort of a nondescript wet juicy fruity smell.

Orange blossom honey. Pretty but very simple. Where is my coconut and amber? This stays pretty one note on me. Hopefully it will deepen with age.

This one, unfortunately, almost made me gag when I sniffed the bottle. I'm pretty sure that it's the orange blossom. I thought that orange blossom honey would be more honey than blossom, but I was sadly mistaken. For someone who likes their waxy flowers without any of the light but cloying scent of many florals I suspect that this would work much better.

Note: My nose is uncultured.

Anyway, I was scared to try it because in the bottle it smells of synthetic bananas mixed in with crushed juicy flower petals, very sweet and punchy.

On my skin though, gentler, just a very straightforward sweet scent. I don't get any pineapple or any particular fruit, just a creamy floral sweetness. It's reminiscent of suntan lotion because of the creaminess, but not something that'd make you immediately say, "suntan lotion!" which is great.

There is a tiny tang of that odd cloyingly note also found in Blood Popsicle; reminiscent of salt or clove. Kind of musky and green. (Note: most things go musky on me.)

Otherwise, it's a happy, girly scent that'd be nice for a sunny day on the beach.

Rating: 6/10. Might wear it again in the summer, but might not because very sweet.

Edited by Kanashisa

Huh? This does not smell at all like the listed notes. :( I love orange blossom, amber and honey, so I thought that this would be a no brainer. What I'm getting is a tropical, heady floral, overwhelmingly sweet, so that it's almost sickly. Oh well, can't win em all:)

This is a sweet, light and happy scent on me. I gifted it (reluctantly) to my husband for his birthday and it smells great on him; I don't find it a girly scent at all, as was mentioned above. I smell all of the listed notes and it settles to a light floral honey backed by a quiet amber. The coconut makes an exit quite quickly.