Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Gaueko

... Blackened sandalwood and misty lavender, with curling wisps of smoky tobacco, nag champa, and labdanum.

Very astringent and masculine upon applying. Gradually the ashes come into play, so it's a lavender (astringent) and smoky blend now. I normally love (or at least like) lavender, but this is way too smoky. I get no sandalwood to speak of. Overall, this blend is overpowering, (in a bad way), medicinal, smoky, masculine and not me in so many ways. Oh well, can't win them all!

In Bottle: I hardly smell the lavender. The sandalwood and tobacco are prominent. There's a smoky, slightly sweet incensey smell immediately present. Although after applying it, the lavender is easily identifiable in the bottle.

Wet: I smell warmth and smoke immediately, and the sandalwood is prominent. I get a lot of the tobacco, and the incense is hiding just beneath that scent. Almost too much sandalwood at this point...

Drydown: Sandalwood quickly fades and nag champa takes the prominent position, making it smell sweeter. The longer it dries, the more the tobacco is smoking over the sweet smell.

Apparently my skin is different from a lot of others. While I can tell there is lavender in the blend, it doesn't become sharp or anywhere near prominent on me. It's all nag champa burning in the corner, while the scent of the tobacco shop next door floats through the window. Men have LOVED this scent on me, and I've gotten several comments about how good I smell while wearing it.

Soya sauce & Nag Champa incense with an occasional waft of celery-ish lavender. The sandalwood is in hiding except for the blackened (soya sauce) aspect.

So very odd on me & therefore off to a new home!

Hmmm. I have the feeling this will be a bit too incense-y or smoky for me. I also tend to amp sandalwood like crazy. I do enjoy lavender though, and think this could be an interesting blend.

Wow, this is an interesting scent. Definitely get the nag champa and tobacco, which goes well with the lavender. The sandalwood is sharper than I usually think it as. I can see how some would describe this in the imp as astringent. I feel it could mellow well on the skin. Very smoky and mysterious.

This is quite nice on my skin-a sexy, smoky resiny lavender. The sandalwood isn't overpowering the blend. The lavender really works here, and it's fun to see it sexied up in a non-sleep blend. I am actually REALLY enjoying this. There's something so unique about this blend, it really hard to describe.

I never thought this would be something I would pick up, but I am totally digging it. Sexy lavender/nag champa/incensey/tobacco loveliness. No overwhelming sandalwood. Sort of reminds me Pothon Meter in a way...without the cognac and with more lavender...really digging it!

My first ever review and I think I've found my signature scent! :D

In the bottle: Lavender. Very astringent.

Wet: Strong, smoky lavender with a bit of incense coming through.

Dry: I get a very strong nag champa, with some lavender and smoke underneath. I could see it being a masculine scent, but on it works as a feminine one on me - it's smoky and sophisticated, but still quite light and fresh. My friend says I smell like a hippie shop!

In the imp: Lavendeeeeeer! A very smoky one too.

On me: Yummy lavender for about 4 seconds and then Gaueko turns into a sweet and extremely smokey incense. Boo.

One hour later: Still sweet incense.

I wish this one had more lavender in it (or that my skin wouldn't eat it after a few seconds) and less of the incense-y note. If that would've been the case, I would have looooved this so badly since I love lavender. but now, it's off to the swap pile.

Gaueko ended up being one giant sandalwood incense party on me. A bit of smoke and non-lavender herb came through as it faded, but otherwise... honestly, it smells a bit like a hippie shop to me. I speak as someone who's been in many hippie shops herself – it's just not what I am interested in as a scent on me.

I can't wash this off - it seems very strong - and I hate it. On me it smells - sorry to say this - of poo. I think this must be some weird reaction with either my skin or my nose. I got the imp from the Lab so I know it's not old/aged. I know that usually I like sandalwood, and lavender, so whether it's one of the notes I'm not used to, or just the combination, I don't know. It's something down in the base I think. I was terribly disappointed because blackened sandalwood sounded amazing.

Ok, in the imp this is a deep, lavender with a smoky undertone, very promising. Unfortunately when it hits my skin I get the same chemical-y weirdness that I get from sugared blends and a few other random things like Sentimental Initiation.I can't pin down the death note they have in common, it might be something with tobacco, or whatever makes the 'blackened' note. In any case, gorgeous in the imp, unwearable on my skin.

In the Imp (ITI): Wow, that reminds me of being out in the woods. I get thick labdanum and smoky tobacco. I’m intrigued.

Wet: Sticky, resinous labdanum, hints of lavender fields, tobacco, and a hint of nag champa. This is definitely something I would wear again.

Dry: It’s super spicy now – the nag champa is dominant with the sandalwood and labdanum followed up by the slightest hint of lavender.

I've not had much luck with BPAL lavender scents even though I've been looking. Lavender is my favourite flower but I find that my skin doesn't support it very well. In that respect alone, Gaueko is a godsend.

Right from the forefront this starts out as a misty lavender on my skin. The sandalwood softens and disperses the normally astringent flower, making it ethereal and comforting. It isn't until the latter stages that the darker notes begin to creep in and it's like fog parting to reveal a dead black night. The 'blackened' note of the sandalwood strengthens. It's slightly abrasive but works well with the tobacco to give an impression of dark shadows that are kept warm by the slight incense of the Nag champa and laudanum.

This is one of three GC scents I've ever considered getting a bottle for. It is not a bold scent but beautifully subtle and evocative.

Colour association: Mauve mist.

Word for the Scent: Ethereal.

Wet: Herbaceous lavender with something sultry behind it.

Drydown: Calming lavender, with a deep, dark background note that sort of smells like chocolate incense. The edges of the lavender become smooth as it gives in to the darkness. Resins and tobacco melting together. Smooth and sexy.

Dry: Dusky, comforting resins and smoke. Slightly dirty. The lavender is barely detectable at this point, save for a vague impression of (to borrow from the previous review) a “mauve” hue. Sexy and sleepy and sort of twisted.

This is one of those bpals that, while not at the very top of my favorites list, I keep wanting to wear in an effort to understand it better. It is mysterious and puzzling I keep feeling compelled to dab it on.

8.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the Imp: Mmmm lime. Nah, can't be. Must be the lavender. My daddy when I was a little girl.

OnSkin: Wet, astringent lavender, smoke & incense. I think I like... Uh oh… as it dries, it starts to smell like lavender-scented bacon, splashed with a little maple syrup.

Blecccchhhh! Off to the swaps with all four frimps!

Wet - Lavender

On Skin - The Lavender is sweeter. The Nag Champa and Blackened sandle wood come out as it dries.

The drier it gets the smokier it becomes. There are still some sweet notes but I think that is just my skin chemistry.

A nice scent but not my favorite.

I love this blend for bedtime. It starts with a prominent lavender note that I love, veers into intense incense for about two minutes and settles as the best gentle lavender/smoke/incense I have ever smelled. It is one of about five scents I reach for consistently at bed time.

I would like to note that sandalwood often goes masculine on me, it really works much better on my dh, and this does not at all.

I love that it uses lavender in a non-sweet way, since lavender pairs so well with vanilla and fruits (which I love too) I really appreciate the uniqueness of it in a smoky blend. It is like a favorite desert ingredient used exceptionally well in a savory dish.

Tested blind, frimp, dark yellow.

In Vitro Resin? Slightly sharp, not too sweet.

Wet Immediately upon application I guessed at resin and/or patchouli, with some thingsharper - evergreen or menthol? Two minutes along a different, almost boozy note emerged.

Drying Definitely boozy and reminiscent of Centzon Totochtin. It stayed that way for at least half an hour. Later it was down to a sweet floralish scent.

Aside from the menthol hint that could have been lavender, I didn't pick out any notes, just the CT impression. Which is disappointing because nothing on the list for Gaueko was unappealing or raised a warning flag. Not a bottle candidate for me.

Spicy delightfulness!

I get a heavy, smokey lavender with a heavy tobacco and incense note. There is something peppery about it, despite pepper not being a component. I think it's probably the way the incense is playing with the other notes.

Man what a weird experience, I read the notes and I'm like "yes, check", but once it dries I'm like "damn, that was disappointing". Some in there turns this into a weird icky sticky mess of a scent, I wonder if it's the nag champa or labdanum.

I think I'll hold on to this, and give it another try to be sure cause damn those notes should work on me!

In the imp: Lavender is the name of the game here. Maybe a liiiiiittle smoky and/or earthy, but mostly it smells exactly like the ginormous lavender bush growing outside my mom's house. Which automatically predisposes me to like it - when I was in college, my mom would send me care packages just before finals, consisting of Emergen-C, bread from our local bakery, mini M&Ms, a picture of our cats, and a few sprigs of lavender. Heaven.

Wet: Oh, THERE'S all those other notes! It's amazing how I got nothing but lavender in the imp, but as soon as it makes contact with my skin, it morphs into a sandalwood-heavy incense with a hint of smoky tobacco, and the lavender doing nothing more than hanging around in the background, providing a dreamy sort of edge to everything.

Dry: Pretty much straight-up sandalwood, and an unusually short-lasting sandalwood at that. Maybe 6 hours tops, when most incense-y scents hang around on me for 10 hours or more.

I won't turn down a bottle if one falls into my lap, but I think that, overall, I'll spend the money on the hunt for the lavender blend this scent showed me I need.

Edited by Lunasariel

On me, Gaueko = tobacco + sandalwood + lavender

period.

It's not necessarily bad, and I think the lavender is a nice note to lighten the whole thing up, but I wish the different elements would play with each other in more interesting ways. This isn't really a morpher on me. The sandalwood gets stronger as time goes on, but the lavender and tobacco are still present the whole time.

Not bad, but given how much I love tobacco and resins, it is a little disappointing.

Wet: I like the lavender I'm getting from this right away! It's the first thing that hits me! I've been looking forward to finally getting to try something with the Lab's lavender note, as I usually like lavender things quite a bit (heck I even cook with it sometimes). Ooh yeah this first note is lavender goodness! I think the Nag Champa comes out after that... less pleased. Surprised that I'm not pleased, but it's suddenly not coming off like something that I want on my skin- more like I've been rooting through a box of slightly musty incense. Nope nope nope, it's getting worse now, oh dear.

Dry: Hooo boooy. Incense B.O. Not good. This went sour and unpleasant- too much Nag Champa for me maybe? Yeah there is something good and sort of smoky/woody here, but it's covered by the bad sour note in the foreground. Wet, sour- something didn't agree with my chemistry. Ends up straight Nag Champa with BAD SOUR stuff all over it, ack.

Note- on somebody else!- On my mum, smelled like a lovely soft incense BLEND with maybe sandalwood and some fuzzy brown and gold and purple edges. She ended up with both little imps. She says she's not 100% in love, but she's pleased that it's the only one that doesn't seem to change day to day on her. Low or dark notes do well on her, whereas I seem to amp higher, sharper things- so maybe that will help someone trying to decide.

Edited by DoktorDandy

This is my new very favorite, for sleep and for daytime. It's a pretty aggressively sharp lavender, which I enjoy, overlaid with sweetish smoke. So good! I like the way I feel when I wear this, kind of mysterious and powerful. :)