Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Gaueko

The Basque God of Night and all the perils of the darkness. Though he is the God of the Danger that Lurks in the Gloom, he is kind to men and warns them against the nighttime hazards and sets rules of conduct for both the living and the dead as they travel through his domain. It is said that since the warm, vibrant daylight is for the living, the abodes of night are reserved for the dead. All who heed his counsel are protected, but woe be to any man that disobeys the laws of Gaueko: he is swift to punish those that would scorn his advice. Blackened sandalwood and misty lavender, with curling wisps of smoky tobacco, nag champa, and labdanum.

In the bottle, this one smells just like straight lavender.

Once it starts to dry down, I get a nice balance of the warmth of the sandalwood and the freshness of the lavender. A very nice, refreshing blend. Edited by Shollin

This isn't too complex on me. Wet it smelled like a strong, dry, masculine lavender which I didn't much care for. But as it dried down the sandalwood came through and warmed it up. Somehow I expected this to have a more disturbing effect but in fact this is a very cool and calm scent and reminds me of a library. :P This is a good scent for someone who is very composed and reserved and has a dry, caustic wit. I like it quite a bit but I think ultimately I might prefer this as a summer scent.

I just got this in a swap and it is WONDERFUL!! I agree, in the bottle it's very lavender, but it dries down to an incredible sandlewood scent, with undertones of nag champa (my all-time favorite incense) and what must be the labdanum (I have no idea what this smells like, but there's a warm and almost musky scent that I assume is this). There is very little lavender in the drydown, just a hint of it. I would not call this a lavender scent at all, for those who are not a big fan of it. It's very much in the background after about 5 minutes.

As a diabolus, I expected something much darker, but this was an extremely pleasant surprise! This is what I was hoping the now-discontinued Mystery smelled like. I can't really call it a floral or a light scent, but somewhere in between dark and light. A perfect combination and a definite 10mL when I use up my 5mL bottle.

Edited by ebonykawai

Vial: Definately a smokey lavender scent.

Wet: I get a touch of Nag now and a smokey sensation that, uh, must be the smoky tobacco. LOL

Overall: It really doesn't change too much from the wet to the dry. It's mostly a smoky, wispy sort of lavender with a bit of woodiness to it. It's actually very soothing and I think it'd make a great bedtime oil. :P

I don't know if I love this or hate this... It starts off strong, pungent it really has its own personality. As it wears in I can smell the Nag Champa a little more and there almost an animal smell to it, not musk but civet, I'm guessing this is the Labdanum. If theres lavender in this its not coming out as strong as the other notes, but the smoke and incense is . It is more masculine than feminine smelling to me, the blackened sandalwood and Nag Champa really stand out, but unfortunatly so does that feral animal smell. I'll have to give this time, it may be the wrong time of the month to wear this. I really do want to love this!

1st time tried: Didn't smell of much of anything. Reminded me of a pack of incense, but not very strong. Quickly faded. Was very disappointed.

2nd try: The lavender is more out there this time and I can smell the sandalwood, what a nice combo. Again, it is fading on me really fast. But I like the scent a lot. I feel lot of the library vibe another reviewer wrote. Old books and mystery. Ok, an old fashioned library with a fireplace and no computers in it.

It reminds me of a note I have not yet placed. Reminds me of an oil I used to own or some other memory I am repressing. It reminded first of Kostnice, but now smells a bit like Djinn, only with a little bit more notage. Perhaps it is the Nag Champa? It is fading fast on me again, it isn't staying for an hour on me, dammit! :P

I will have to try this a 3rd time and that will be the try that makes it a trade or a keeper. It could go either way right now.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I have admit, I almost didn't try this one on my skin AT ALL because in the vial it simply smelled like lavender!

But wet, on my skin the lavender is nicely balanced with sandalwood and something else--nag champa, maybe?

Doesn't change much on drydown. This is a nice, masculine lavender blend.

Wet, this was mostly lavender, and very pretty. I like lavender, so that was cool.

But this oil *really* shines on the dry-down. It is the *exact* smell of the incense at the Catholic Church I went to as a kid. So dead-on it's spooky. (Cathedral/Sin/Damnation all of those smelled nothing like church to me, I was disapointed when I smelled them) This is the incense from Christ the King cathedral in Lexington, KY. I'm really blown away. This is awesome.

Got an imp of this from Mrs.Black. :D

First sniff:

Lavender is the most promiment note here, but I can also smell a faint hint of sandalwood in the background. I've found lavender tends to really stand out to my nose, so it may note really be as overpowering as it smells to me. :D

Wet on skin:

Mmm, now I can smell something other than lavender. The sandalwood, tobacco and nag champa are coming out now, softening the almost astringent smell of the lavender. I was worried about the lavender being overpowering, but this is actually really nice. :P

Dry down:

The lavender had receded into the background and I get sandalwood, tobacco, nag champa and an almost spicy resin sent that must be the labdanum. This isn't anywhere near as dark as I imagined but, at hte same time, I really like it. This particular blend lasts a long time, too...more than 14 hours later I can still smell it and it smells even more wonderufl now than it did when it had initially dried. The longer it's on, the more the lavender disappears and the more I like it.

The bottom line:

While I can't say that I love the lavender in this (or any blend, fo that matter), Gaueko dries down into a lovely spicy/smoky resin and tobacco scent that really appeals to me. This is a perfect example of why I should never judge a scent by the way it smells in the vial. :D

Acquired via swap, this is the one scent of the eight acquired that I had actually ordered based on notes, but it's in my 12/1 order which only "shipped" yesterday so I am not expecting it until at least January.

IN THE BOTTLE AND WET: This is an amazing scent for anyone who loves lavender. It's really light and clean with the sandalwood giving it a nice sharp kick. Heading into an all-day meeting at work, I wanted something that would keep me unstressed. It reminds me, wet, of Crabtree & Evelyn's Goatmilk scent which is perhaps my single favorite non-Lush and non-BPAL scent except of course for Andiamo.

ON DRYDOWN it morphs into something mildly fruity (could that be labdanum? I have no idea what labdanum is!) and I smell a little bit like a head shop (obviously nag champa) but to me, child of the 70s, that is a good thing.

I couldn't stop sniffing myself in my meeting and though I tried to be surreptitious I am sure my new boss thinks I am really weird.

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED IN MARCH 2013:

Ordered a new imp of this with my February impapalooza order from the Lab.

IN THE IMP: Lavender lavender lavender but wrapped in cloak of smoke.

Dabbed on wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: This is an absolutely fascinating scent for me. I love all of the notes individually but -- to my nose, at least -- they sort of divide into lavender on one side and all the others hanging out together on the other side. The best way I can describe it is it's like a gourmet chocolate with a liquid lavender center, enveloped in a smoky, woodsy, resiny outer layer.

DRYDOWN: On drydown, the lavender fades more to the background and the sandalwood combines with the nag champa and labdanum to elbow their way into a complex combination that lasts for hours.

OVERALL: So evocative of my teen years -- well, the good part of them. And the parts I can remember. And some of those two actually overlap.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I actually ordered this for my fiance, but I had to try it on myself, because I /love/ nag champa.

In the vial, it's smokey nag champa and all sorts of wonderful. Did I mention I love nag champa?

Initially on my skin, it's straight nag champa. Mmmm. :P However, the longer it sets, the more the other notes begin to come out. Five minutes in and it's nag champa and sandalwood, and then after about fifteen minutes the lavender starts to poke through. It's not an astringent lavender, but it's nice -- I think the smokiness of the other notes help mute the sharper parts of the lavender.

This is really pretty, but I think it's too masculine for me to wear. It ought to smell fantastic on my fiance. ;D

I love lavender and tobacco individually, so I thought I'd be delighted with Gaueko the moment I opened the imp. It took me two tries to warm up to it, though, and I'm still not sure it's a scent I'd purchase.

Maybe it's because the lavender never really smells like lavender to me. Gaueko is a blend from the moment you open it, and I had in my head that the lavender would be loud and clear, as it tends to be in most fragrances. It was definitely interwoven with the sandalwood, though, and seemed a bit "off" because of it.

After about three minutes, Gaueko doesn't smell like lavender at all. It smells like absolutely wonderful incense has been lit and is combined with pipe tobacco wafting through the air. It's not masculine so much as it has a manly sort of strength, with just a sparkle of light and freshness created by the lavender I was looking for earlier. The nag champa really centers and propels this blend through its stages, and it's got a warmth and fullness to it that's surprisingly sexual.

I've been into heavier scents lately, probably to warm my scent receptors in this cold weather, and I'm still considering Gaueko to fill that niche. The scent smells wonderful on my fella, but when I put it on, the lavender takes a faintly feminine twist that doesn't come out on him and appeals to me.

First sniff: Gaueko reminds me of the clear, warm, tigereye-brown sandalwood of Tushnamatay, softened with a dusting of lavender buds.

Wearing: The lavender gives it a bit of a sharp edge, but it’s warm and woody and wonderful and just dark enough. I really enjoyed this one.

As many others said, Gaueko was not nearly as dark and forbidding as I expected it to be from the description.

Wet, this brought back happy memories of long walks in the hills of Southern France. There is a French word, Garrigue, for the native vegetation (mostly low shrubs and herbs) that grows on these hills: lavender, thyme, rosemary, laurel and olive trees. That is exactly what Gaueko smells like on me during the initial stage :P

As it dries, the sandalwood and incense get stronger. My dear garrigue is gone and I miss it, but this is still a lovely scent, if a little on the masculine side.

The final stage is warm, spicy and comforting. Perfect as a lounging scent, or maybe as a bedtime scent. A keeper, if only for the nice memories it brings back :D

oooh, lavender. i've rather grown to like lavender lately.

of course, that's all i get at first sniff, but it's a softened lavender, unlike the kind i smell in baku. this lavender is indeed misty, just as it's described on the site.

there's a note in this blend that's a bit tangy and sharp, making this near-soporific blend a bit electrically charged. i wish i got more sandalwood out of this; i think it would make the blend gorgeous, but i can't smell it at all.

after a couple of minutes, this takes a sudden, jolting turn. i can smell smoke! i love these incense blends. :P i can't believe how gorgeous this is. it definitely took me by surprise. it isn't anything i'd wear as a perfume. it's a dark, gritty, smogged up shade of purple that i REALLY dig. unfortunately, it's just not me at all. hopefully i can pass this onto someone who will really appreciate it.

In the bottle: Very sharp and astringent. I don't know if I'm going to like this one or not, but I'll give it a try.

Upon application: Yikes, lavender! It dominates, which isn't a good thing for me. I hope it goes far, far away so that I can enjoy my sandalwood and nag champa loveliness.

Ten minutes later: Oh my, this is gorgeous! The lavender didn't go away; it's still there, it's just in a sort of latent, sleepy state. The sandalwood has taken over for the most part. Every now and then I catch a whiff of smokey tobacco, and the nag champa is just barely detectable. I have no idea what labdanum smells like, though. Something here is giving the blend a bittersweet, almost Oriental feel to it, which might be it (or it could just be the sandalwod evolving on my skin). Oh, I love it. It's relaxed, beautiful, and earthy, without being overpoweringly bitter or strong. I'm just glad I sat through the lavender phase!

My first impression was of soapy lavender but it was quickly joined by smokey incense, a combination which didn't gel. I was thrown by the next change as it reminded me of pencil lead - quite bizarre. No sign at all of the lavender now.

The final stage was woody becoming richer as the sandalwood developed. There's another scent in addition to the wood which I'm guessing is labdanum rather than a combination of the earlier notes. It's warm and a little musky.

The end result is a warm, comforting scent that has depth but isn't overwhelming.

Hmm...kind of sharp out of the bottle. Not really sure what the notes are..I just identify them as "sharp" and remember them from previous blends (sorry, can't recall what those are). I'm really not sure I'm going to like this. After a little bit it settles down into something that reminds me strongly of "Spencers". I dunno how many of you have one of those stores near you, but those who do can understand why I would prefer not to smell like them. :P I hate to down on it, but this reminds me of the cheap incense section of some "punky/novelty" stores. :D

In the bottle: Lavender? Why am I smelling lavender?

On me: Still lavender, but sweeter now...like flowers gone to rot, when you stick them in the potpourri jar while still damp. Drying, a sort of resin-y note comes out...frankincense, which NEVER smells good on me (maybe it just doesn't smell good to my nose...)

And so... Not a favorite, really. Not bad, but doesn't really do anything for me. I really don't like the frankincense, and this goes way too frankincensy on me.

There is something seriously disturbing to me about Gaueko. I'm not liking the way this oil is making me feel when I smell it. Nothing about the oil itself....it's the way I'm reacting to it emotionally. This is bringing up bad memories, thoughts, impressions. Not good.

Lavender. Smoke. Something moldy, like moss or leaves.

Lavender blends are normally refreshing and cleansing to me, but I'm associating this strongly with something bad in this or another life, and I must put it away.

I've never had this reaction to one of Beth's oils. WTF?

I don't know if it's my nose or what...but wet, like the others, I got lavender.

But upon dry down...I got leather! :P Like leather jacket leather...me likey!

Will keep this imp!

In the bottle this is incense and resin. It smells very rich and true to its amber color. Wet, this is resinous and a lad sour. I can really smell the lavender in the background. Combined with the other notes, it's very odd, but works for some reason. The last time I wore this the drydown was drastically different than the wet stage, but today, they are very similar, which is definitely odd. But then again, it was a "different time."

Dry, I get dusty nag champa, hints of lavender, sour resin, and a mossy, moldy smell. There's an animalistic quality to this, which I am assuming is coming from the black sandalwood. The first time I wore this, I did not get the headshop drydown I am getting now. I liked it better the first time.

I never really got to smell the smokiness itself, it was more of a complimentary note. I'd say if you like the smell of nag champa, you will like Gaueko. For me, I don't want to smell like a headshop. Overall, Gaueko is definitely a complex blend that at first, doesn't seem like it should work...but does. I am enjoying the complexity of this blend, but it's just not me.

First Impression: Sour and lavendar.

Second Impression: At first, it's very dry and sour. But my skin has this wonderful tendency to amp up any sweetness, so as this dries down, the woods and resin sweetens up and it's really very sexy.

Final Analysis: This is very complex, a morpher. I didn't think I'd like it, and I don't like it in the vial, but it's very nice on my skin.

I thought I would really like this, since I typically love lavender.

Wet: Very bitter, almost sour, strong lavender - very sharp.

Dry: The sharpness has mellowed a little bit, and now it's more of a dusty sour lavender. Not sure if I like this one that much.

this was mostly sandalwood, and tobacco when wet

as it dries the sandal wood went a bit pencil shavings, and the tabocco kicked it up a notch, w/ nag champa saying hi, i didnt get any lavander :P