Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Honeywhip

Pumpkin III (2014)

Pumpkin artwork by Messy Nessie!

Pumpkin with Atlas cedar, black fig, Laotian benzoin, bourbon vanilla, and copal.

Sweet, chewy and dark, Fig Newtons in the Pumpkin Patch =) The cedar tempers the sweetness just a titch without turning into pencils on me. Fans of Gomorrah and Molly Grue should love this!

For at least the first half hour, this smelled so much like Pumpkin I, which I tested yesterday, that I wondered if my decant had been mislabeled. In particular, I don’t smell the cedar at all, which is strange, because I usually amp cedar. Then, however, the fig made itself known, and Pumpkin III smells like gently spiced pumpkin and fig.

Pumpkin III does smell a little like pumpkiny Fig Newtons! It also reminds me of The Demon in My View scent Alone, just ever so slightly, if it took a roll in a pumpkin patch. Fig and benzoin are front and center on me, with vanilla, copal, and cedar trailing. The pumpkin is nicely balanced. There's spice in here too, somehow, making it even more delicious. After about ten minutes, this is a sweet spiced fig and pumpkin blend on me—surprisingly foody and totally delicious. :yum:

This went on very pumpkin-y and quickly took on a sharp note that I mistook for cinnamon. I think it's actually a combination of the cedar and the resin, but it's remarkable how foody this still smells. At first I was a little trepidatious about it but it's growing on me, and it's certainly very different from anything else I have, so I'll hang on to my decant for sure. I can definitely see being in the mood for something like this during the fall and winter!

In the bottle: Cedar and fig medling together, sweetened by the other notes, floating over the fresh pumpkin.

Wet: Much as on cold sniff, but much spicier!

The dry-down: This is a wonderful scent. :) Every note just blends together perfectly. It's a not-overly-sweet pumpkin that is cedar-woody and dark fig fruity. And the spice aspect did calm down.

Please note that cedar usually doesn't go to pencil shavings or small animals cage litter/bedding on me.

Oh this is fantastic! Spicy pumpkin with toothy fig and lovely woodsiness from the cedar. As it dries down, the cedar burns off and it takes on a caramelized quality. It's quite sweet and foodie on me and I can't decide if I need to hang onto my decant or not. I do love it but I tend to wear pumpkin-heavy scents primarily on Thanksgiving. In any case, it's a delicious blend that's not quite like the other pumpkin scents I have/have tested, it's more complex than most of the pumpkin-heavy blends that tend to go pumpkin spice only. I think I'll hang onto and see what aging does to the resin, vanilla, and cedar components.

Pumpkin, fig, and cedar. I get the figgy newtons reference, I really do but I also get a sharp cedar note that undercuts all of the foodieness of the blend, in a way that breaks up the sugar and sweetness. Decent throw, decent wearlength.

I get why this is so popular, as it really does smell delicious when you ignore the cedar. Which I almost can. Almost.

Figgy, foodie, cedar.

Traditional pumpkin spices along with some gritty cedar. After a bit, it's almost like clove joined the party, or I'm amping it from the pumpkin spices. So it ends up being a more masculine pumpkin, less sweet than the other pumpkin blends. I'm not getting any fig fwiw. This reminds me a bit of Sin, with added woods.

Starts off just with a generic pumpkin smell. Later in, I did get a bit of fig- and that stage was nice, but I can't tell if I was imagining it. Late late in, it's pumpkin with cedar/wood. I normally like all these ingredients, but together it's a bit strong. Not sure if this is the pumpkin blend for me.

I like the lab's fig perfumes, as they always smell sticky-sweet, slightly chocolatey, and slightly woody to me, like real figs. Intrigue is still my favorite fig blend, with actual chocolate and wood playing up those nuances. But I kinda like this one too, with the cinnamon pumpkin spice sprinkled over the chewy fig note, on a bed of soft, dry cedar. I don't get the vanilla or resins.