Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Pumpkin I (2014)

Pumpkin cream with cardamom, black tea, allspice, and ginger milk.

Pumpkin and spice. More clove in this one and a bit more resiny and less foody. Typical pumpkin spice here though. Nothing new.

A favorite from 2014's Weenies.

In the bottle: pumpkin, spices, and burnt sugar.

Wet: A whiff of sweet pastry, then gentle pumpkin, then strong ginger tea. The ginger hangs around. The cardamom warms in.

This is not nearly so sweet on the drydown as in the bottle.

Dry: I still smell like a cup of strong ginger tea, with other spices supporting. Invigorating

This is slightly spiced and creamy and very baked goods-like. It's sweet, but not overly so. I do get quite a bit of tea as well.

The pumpkin isn't super prominent here, which is good since pumpkin spices aren't really my favorite. (Who know why I keep buying them?)

Gorgeous; everything I want adult pumpkin to be! The black tea and ginger milk really give it a nice dimension often missing from pumpkin sweets.

In the bottle, this is unexpectedly savory! I get a spicy, hot milk. Plenty of peppery cardamom.

On skin, the astringent tea comes forward, but it's underneath the spicy gingery creamy layer. I'm not really smelling the pumpkin, but it's always a hard note for me to pick out. I think it's there anchoring the creaminess though. I don't get any sweetness. Yummy milky spices, but no sugar. Warming and comforting.

So far I love all the BPAL pumpkins that I've tried, and this is no exception. At first I get a lot of the pumpkin pie spice aspect of the allspice (weirdly, without the pumpkin itself). As it warms the ginger and cream become much more prominent, and pumpkin finally appears--a lovely pumpkin pie. The ginger remains the strongest note here, and the cream aspect almost makes it seem more like a custard dessert, or at least a slice of pie topped with ice cream. It's wonderful.

First I get pure, true pumpkin and a little bit of spice, and it reminds me of pumpkin muffins I recently made. As it dries I get more creaminess, and the cardamom and ginger stand out though I get touches of allspice. On deeper sniffs and as it lingers I get the tea.

Source: Forum bottle swap

Sniff: Pumpkin Latte

Skin: Oooh even better, a Pumpkin CHAI latte

Dry: Holygawsh ginger milk is the best thing on this planet imo. That's a fun smell. This is very very very very like Pumpkin Latte - which to me has a unique, muddled scent that sorta grows on me (pumpkin and cream, with some spices I suspect). But in Pumpkin I, it's much cleaner and clearer. The black tea sort of dilutes the muddled complication of Pumpkin Latte, and instead makes the notes more crisp - not to mention it's black tea and spices. What a beauuuutiful chai.

I'm doing this no justice with a review. It's perfect. I love it. It just booted Pumpkin Latte out of it's spot on my shelf. More Chai please!

Verdict: Pumpkin Chai Latte - Not to be redundant.

These notes are a DREAM combination for me, I won't lie, and so I was a bit disappointed to put it on and for it to smell like warm, spicy burnt plastic. Mercifully after drying down it's lost that burning plastic, and it's resolved into a melange of spices and heat and tea that's quite lovely. It's not quite how I imagined it would smell from the description, but it's going to be a great scent for autumn.

A spicy pumpkin chai, with plenty of cream to cut the spiciness. It’s really nicely balanced. You get the tea, ginger, and cardamom notes, but also the milk. So where in a lot of cases ginger is too astringent for me, here it’s just a mild spice with the creaminess of a warm mug of milk tea.  Such a nice cozy fall scent!