Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

[No additional description provided.]

Okay, usually, I'm not a big fan of scents that include pumpkin, because I don't like cooked pumpkin and they tend toward pumpkin pie. Not so with this. I smell juicy raw pumpkin, with a dash of spice. Really lovely!

I smell the warm, rich pumpkin a wee bit in the bottle along with ginger, cinnamon and I think nutmeg. On my skin there isn't any detectable pumpkin but there is so much throw of those three spices! I love this. My nose tingles from the spiceness! This is only going to get more amazing with age.

I wish I smelled more raw pumpkin and less spice, but I guess "pumpkin spice" just refers to what you spice the pumpkin WITH. This is just pure cinnamon to me with a bit of syrup. I wish it were drier and woodier, like high quality cinnamon powder smells. This would probably be interesting to layer with though.

This smelled to me exactly like the shaker full of "pumpkin pie spice" that you can buy pre-mixed. My nose was a bit overwhelmed by the time I smelled it, but I didn't get a lot of pumpkin in it as compared to any of the individual pumpkin scents this time around.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I have had great success with a variety of pumpkin BPALs over the years. I like a foody pumpkin. I like spice. There was no way I was going to resist trying this one.

In the Bottle: ALL THE SPICE! It's a big huff of cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice and ginger and whatever else gets tossed into a pumpkin pie. There's a soft foundation of something - I'm going to assume it's the pumpkin, but I'd also believe it if you told me it was butternut squash. But this is mainly the Thanksgiving end of the spice rack.

Wet: Now it's a noseful of ginger more than cinnamon. There's a tantalizing edge of something familiar, something that makes me think Christmas spice, almost like eggnog...perhaps nutmeg or allspice, both of which I add to my nog. There's also a less-than tantalizing itch starting where I applied it.

Drydown: The power of the spices calms down, but if there's any pumpkin, it's not coming out to play at this point. The itchiness hasn't gotten unbearable, but it persists.

Husband's verdict: "Clove perfume?" Son's verdict: "Pumpkin perfume?" I think the husband is right about the clove, but that the son is associating the scents that get called "pumpkin" this time of year.

Verdict: More than anything else, it's the itchy feeling that makes my decision. I'll probably go for a BPTP candle or hair gloss or atmo spray with this scent, but probably not keep the perfume.

ETA: Just for grins, I tried layering PSA with Jack, which is a strongly pumpkin scent on me. I put the Jack on first, then the PSA before rubbing my wrists together. That seemed to take care of the itching problem and also turned it into a gorgeous foody fall scent, a pumpkin-all-the-things aroma. Guess I'm keeping the bottle after all!

Edited by puck_nc

From a decant: It goes on almost all cinnamon, then dries down to a mixture of cinnamon and ginger. It's okay, but not for me.

There is pumpkin in this -more pumpkin flesh than buttery - with lots of spice. The cinnamon seems dominant and is rounded out by nutmeg & ginger. It's a nice scent, and I love the name since I go crazy for pumpkin spice everything in the fall. But I think I enjoy my BPAL pumpkin spice more when its blended with other notes, like all the numbered Pumpkin Patch blends.

My experience was nearly exactly like Viridian's. This is a straight up Pumpkin Spice blend. I get no pumpkin at all, and am totally fine with that. Ginger and cinnamon, with a touch of nutmeg and cardamom. Delicious!

I dont think I'd wear this as perfume, though. I might fragrance a drier sheet with it for my clothes, or use it in an oil burner.

Just like everyone above has mentioned. This is pure pumpkin pie spice with a lot of cinnamon and a little nutmeg. It's so spicy that on me it doesn't tame down for quite a while. I also get that fleshy pumpkin smell when it's wet but it isn't super strong and it's definitely hidden in the background.

Once it begins to dry though on my skin and to my nose it smells a little bit like Saw-Scaled Viper which I love a lot. So I am debating on whether to get a bottle or just keep my decant for the time being. After a few more times testing I think I will make up my mind.

Edited by Haltija

This is just what I thought it would be...Pumpkin Spices sans the actual pumpkin. I'm getting ginger, cinnamon, clove, and maybe nutmeg or cardamon. Super Nice!

Bought this with the intention of using it as a layering scent and its perfect for just that.

I totally agree with others about this being all the spices and no pumpkin...and I love it! A little goes a long way too. Perfect! :wub2:

Allspice, nutmeg, clove. Eh. I was hoping for ginger and cinnamon but this is ok, just not something i will wear.

Edited by Herb Girl

In The Bottle: A-yup, that's there's a bottle full o' spices used in flavoring pumpkin-y things.

Wet On Skin: It's staying the same this far, which is a relief mostly in the sense that it's SO well blended. There's not any element that's stands above the rest, it's not like ginger is more dominant than cinnamon etc. It's pretty incredible.

Dry Down: As usual for most Single Notes, this had pretty much stayed true from bottle to end-time, with just a little touch of dryness to the scent that might've not been there at the beginning. I, too, primarily got this as a layering-scent and I'm really excited at the possibilities. I am another that got NO pumpkin from this scent- just the spices. And honestly, as much as I love pumpkin, I'm not disappointed with this. I think this scent as is, without pumpkin, has a wide range of possibilities!

I do get pumpkin in Pumpkin Spice Everything, but just the tiniest bit. It's possible that I'm imagining it due to the scent association with the spices. Definitely pumpkin pie spice, but more wearable than that would suggest—on me, it smells more like chai after an hour or so than anything else. As Atrous says above, it's great for layering. Any blend that needs a fall kick could benefit from a bit o' Pumpkin Spice Everything. Pumpkin Spice all the things!

In the bottle, I am not at all keen on this. It's very harsh and lacks any sweetness. On my skin however, it is an entirely different blend and I adore it. On me, it smells exactly like the pumpkin spice syrup I always request in my lattes at our local coffee house. I get nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, ginger and I get syrup too. Glad I bought the hair gloss to compliment this blend as I'm sure they will be amazing together.

This is what I wanted Three Witches to smell like! Don't get me wrong, I adore my bottle of Three Witches but this is a much better blend of spices. I don't get any pumpkin at all, just warm, pumpkin pie spices. I get less allspice in the perfume oil than I do the hair gloss. It's mostly cinnamon and clove on my skin. LOVE!

I have never done well with the lab's pumpkin. My brain registers it as this fake buttered popcorn lip gloss my best friend used to slather in middle school. But I have been hearing how this year's pumpkin was a different pumpkin. A more natural and fresh pumpkin so I was excited.

As soon as I removed the cap, CHEESE. I wanted the lid back on immediately but I decided to persevere and pray the dry down was better. It was not.

hami70n.gif

Socks. Dirty unwashed, not bathed in a month socks. Soaked in the foulest cheese from the ass crack of satan and left in the yard to rot.
I think I need a moment *stares into the distance*
I now long for the buttered popcorn lip gloss of pumpkins past.

Those for the faint of heart should be protected from my honest (but pretty gross) review:

To me, Pumpkin Spice Everything smells like rancid puke.

How is that even possible?

GET IT AWAY!

I was a little disappointed with this one. When I opened the decant it was very harsh, almost like a burnt smell. On my skin it didn't work out so well either. I must be amping the allspice because that is really all I can smell and it's a little too strong. I was hoping that it would have a little more sweet pumpkin smell. Just not for me!

Uncomplicated, cheerful spices: clove, cinnamon and nutmeg. There may be a tiny bit of ginger, and a trace of something that reminds me of sweetened condensed milk. Good throw. Doesn't morph. This will be a fun scent for layering.

Edited to add: I wore this to work today, and one of my first-graders remarked "It smells like pumpkin pie in here."

Edited by Mountaingrrl

To be fair, I have a hard time wearing cinnamon when it's in perfume oils, as it tends to amp up and go crazy on my skin. I wasn't really expecting to like this. It basically smells like cinnamon potpourri with a weird waxy, plastic-ish undertone. Reminds me of craft stores around Christmas time when they have all the plastic wreaths and holiday spice candles out. I don't even like this type of scent as a room fragrance, and it doesn't work on me as a personal fragrance at all. It gives me a headache and makes me feel queasy. This is crazy strong on me, though, and lasted even after several attempts to scrub it off, lol.

For me, this is all about the allspice, clove and a touch of cinnamon. It does smell like pumpkin spice, but tends to veer toward the fall potpourri on my skin. Decent throw, and medium wear length.

Sadly, I smell like a craftstore in autumn. Craftstores are awesome, but perhaps not to smell like them.

In the bottle, it's spice and sweetness, with a definite butteriness. On my wrist, while wet? Cheese popcorn. I hate cheese, so I hope this goes away! OK, it's been about 15 minutes, and the cheese popcorn is transforming into Big Red gum plus pepper. Sweet cinnamon, with some other slightly more savory spices behind it. I think I'm picking out cardamom, too. Maybe. This I like! I'm not sure I'd wear it alone, but layered with other scents? Absolutely. I'll just have to remember not to sniff to closely until it's dried down a bit.

In the bottle - Someone else’s review used the word rancid, and I totally get it now. I’m close to using the word revolting.

Wet - This is a hollow, empty, artificial spice. There is none of the pumpkin that you’d tend to expect from something with pumpkin in the name. It’s just the spiced syrup that Starbucks dumps in your drink. Somehow, the aroma feels lacking and I feel gypped.

Drydown - It gets a little better after about 15 minutes. I don’t want to wash it off anymore, at least. It’s almost cinnamon single-note on me.

Verdict - Since I’m not a coffee girl, I can’t layer this with the coffee/cocoa-scented oils that might really make it sing. And I’m definitely not wearing it on its own. I’ll wait a year or so to see if it ages into something OK, but then it’s swapsville.