Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
reynardine

Single Note: Last Year's Stale Candy Corn

Last year's stale candy corn.

I love, love, love candy corn so I had to try a decant of this! It's a weird scent. Wet, it does smell like stale sugar or maybe old honey? It dries down to a strong sugar, but there's a plastic note under it that warps it. Might just be my skin, though. I'll be interested to hear how it works on other people! But for me, that plastic note ruins it.

This one is awesome!!

In Bottle: Sweet, of course, but actually kind of hard to smell the sweetness.

On Skin: OOH!! There it is! As it warms up, I totally get the candy corn scent...and yes...there is a "stale" factor to it. Kind of dry. But in a good way!

Drydown: Stays the same on me! Dry, sweet, just-about-to-have-to-throw-it-out candy corn!! I really like this one because other candy corn scents have been a bit too overwhelming for me, but this one is just right! A winner!

In the bottle this is butterscotchy, but fresh on my skin, I do get a buttercream note. My chemistry is weird sometimes, so on my skin this becomes a Snowcake (Lush) type scent. I have a Chaos Theory that is very similar.

I see the comparison to Lush Snowcake (even perhaps a hint of BPAL Snow White). There is a flinty dryness in this scent that reminds me of the dryness I get from the coconut in Snow White. This perfume is creamy, sugary, butterscotchy, and sweet in the bottle, but on my skin it does deflate somehow. I prefer the warmth of the Trick or Treat candy corn BPAL scent to this one, personally. I think it is the type of scent that will probably improve with age and smooth out.

In The Bottle: Luscious, creamy, sugary buttery candy.

Wet On Skin: Ah. There's the "stale" aspect. Yes, I get it- it has maybe the same "dusty" note that's in Miskatonic U. I like it better here, it lends a little weight to the scent so it's not "all foodie, all the time".

Dry Down: Okay, I'm *totally* getting the (LUSH) Snowcake association now. Wow- that's kind of amazing, actually (Snowcake being my favorite LUSH soap *ever*).

In All: Not only is this a keeper, but I *just might* have to get a backup bottle. Hmmmm...

:wub3:

Sort of like butter, green vanilla sugar, burnt sugar crust and bubblegum? Weird, perfumey/musky sugar with a green edge to it. Also has a strange, coffee-like scent to it in the drydown, mixed unpleasantly with the pink bubblegum scent. It's sort of a mess to my nose. Chemical sugar and sour green.
I won a bottle of this from the lab's ebay listings, and it smells really off.

Edited by Little Bird

Yep, this smells like stale candy corn.

It is warm, browned butter, melted marshmallow and vanilla and wax.

Luckily, it does not evoke the taste of candy corn, the acrid tinge of corn syrup and the intense sugar shock.

I got a decant of this, mostly so I giggle over a sample of perfume that duplicates one of my favorite autumnal scents.

I was NOT expecting it to be so wearable. After testing it, I had an immediate urge to layer it with every other scent I own. And lo and behold, testing it as a layering scent proved that I needed a bottle.

It just made everything better.

I feel like I've been had somehow. I've been the victim of a hoax, a flim-flam, an elaborate practical joke.

I'm not supposed to be wearing this at all.

This was supposed to be a one-off gag, right?

Why am I wearing something named "Last Year's Stale Candy Corn" layered with my classy lady scents and my fancypants business attire?

Why are people giving me compliments on it?

This really can't be happening.

I guess I should start looking for a backup bottle.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Candy corn, stale sugar and something that smells like vanilla plastic/beeswax. This one has low throw and medium wear length on me. On wet, it really smelled like candy corn and on the drydown the plastickyness of the waxy coating really comes through. I actually think I smell wax.

Sugary, candy corn, fake.

1st off, my notes from DSWC:

CS: as it says

W: nasty

D: not only did I not like this, I had to go and spill some on my chinos :(

Giving it one more try!

In the decant: As the label says.

Wet: Maybe a littler sweeter and not so stale.

The dry-down: More like sweet butter mixed with candy, yet someway dusty, so not as bad as I thought, but nothing special. Luckily it fades fast.

Creamy buttery sugar.

It smells like candy corn tastes, with almost a waxy texture. Despite how this review sounds, I actually kind of like it. But then, I like candy corn. As it dries the creamy aspect fades a little and it becomes more of a buttery brown sugar scent. A fairly simple, straightforward candy sugar scent.

this is a fun scent. it really does smell like candy corn. there's a strong buttery element to the sweetness in this, which makes me think of candy corn's crazy waxy texture.

this is the single note I was most looking forward to. when I smelled it at NYCC, i got blasted with booze followed by spoiled milk and super salty butter. I only sniffed out of the bottle so maybe it would have been different on my skin. but the out-of-bottle funkiness didn't exactly compel me to do a skin test. milk and cream notes and foodies in general work beautifully for me so maybe this was way too fresh or something.

I'm not a foody, so why do I like this?! I'm not really a lover of caramel scents, either, and this is pretty much like a toasted caramel. I probably wouldn't wear this on its own, but I bet it would be great layered with something musky. Warm and toasty vanilla. This reminds me of Anaconda without the Snake Oil. Hmm, I missed out. :(

Darker than I thought it would be- there is something which gives me a coffee vibe at first, which on second sniff is probably just a caramel/burnt sugar note. It smells very fake and plasticky on me and I don't really like it. I'm just not a foodie scent person!

Divine butterscotch and cream, with a touch of plastic stale in the background; this is a gorgeous SN and I will be looking for a partial to home this decant ;)

I can't do caramel scents so I wasn't sure what I was going to get with this, but man oh man am I glad I took a chance! In bottle, it smells like waxy, stale candy corn. Wet, the stale smell is pronounced, and it's slightly worrying because the drydown doesn't start happening for a while if you slather like I did :). Dry, it becomes a glorious buttery, sugary, creamy frosting scent... no staleness, no caramel, nothing I can't do but everything I can. In LOVE with this purchase, and just in time for Halloween :).

Very sugary sweet with some vanilla cream and a little bit buttery. I think this resembles candy corn pretty well! I do get a slight powdery note when it's dry, but it's not off-putting to me. I wouldn't exactly call this "stale" candy corn though.

Glad I took a chance on this bottle.