Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Single Note: Fog Machine Juice

I have to say this has the ozoney and hazy quality that was also found in Thriambus atmo spray. Which I did very much like. Since there is gothy club mist in there, I imagine that's the same note.

This smelled like lime lollipops and misty ozone and flowers to me. Not a bad thing, just not what I was expecting.

Cool and ozoney. If you like the smell of stage fog, this conjures it up without being so dead-on realistic as to cause breathing issues (the real stuff always makes me cough, anyway!)

In the decant this smelled kind of soapy and reminded me of Embalming Fluid.

Skin testing was a whole other story. Fog Machine Juice actually manages to be diaphanous while maintaining a very clear presence. There are no sharp notes here that jump out at you, there's just this smooth cloud of gorgeous scent that carries with it a hint of lime. The base of this scent eludes my ability to name it, but I can tell that it is not soapy, it's not sharp, it's not lemony, and it's not a musk or resin as they typically appear. Call me crazy, but I feel like I smell a bit of quince. This was the Weenie that put me over the edge and made me decide to put in a lab order. It really is a fascinatingly beautiful and unusual scent.

Edit: continuing to try to puzzle out this scent. Today I feel like I'm detecting absinthe in here. I feel pretty sure that it's a component of this scent. Absinthe, lime, and quince? Sounds weird, but that's what I'm coming up with.

Edited by strahlend

What IS this?!?

It's driving me a little mad- there's something in here that's incredibly distinct and I'm not...quite...able to figure it out. Part of it is that there's a sweet citrus-y quality to this, I *sorta* agree with the person that mentioned lime and *sorta* agree with the person that mentioned quince. Both feel like they're on the right track, but...

I can't name it. It's like grapefruit citrus soda mixed with a light, twinkling musk.

If anything, it reminds me of Juba, a perfume that I used to wear from the Body Shop some 23 years ago, mixed with a Betsey Johnson perfume that *also* hasn't existed for nearly two decades. So, I think that's the bottom line. Which for me is pretty great, because I was missing both of those scents of my past, and now here they are in one handy bottle.

;)

Hmm... I was hoping this would remind me of the 'fog' note in Thriambus, which is one of my favorite lab scents ever, but unlike Absinthetics I do not find them remotely similar...

This is quite floral to my nose. It's ethereal and unusual to be sure, but I'm not getting that little bit of nose-stinging almost 'cold' vibe I get from the scent of artificial fog.. There have been a couple lab blends that this reminds me of because of a certain celery-like edge to the floral notes.. super weird I know, but I smell celery. Psychological Horror is one, Zarita is another (although I cant be sure of what note they may have in common)

I guess it's just not exactly how I imagined it, but I do still enjoy the concept and am interested to see what it does with time and if I enjoy wearing it.

In the imp I'm getting something cool, misty, slightly sweet and a very faint citrus note, I'm thinking lime as well. It's a clean scent, nothing sharp and nothing overpowering.

If only it could have stayed like that on my skin. I either amp something in this to high heaven, or my sniffer is broken, cause I am getting foggy oatmeal cookies on the dry down. :think: Sorry imp, off to the swap/sale pile.

This is a weird one. I agree with the review that mentioned grapefruit soda. There's a sharp, clean, citrus, slightly soapy thing happening in this one, but it's very light on me. It also smells slightly perfumey/musky and white floral-ish in the drydown. After an hour, it just leaves a faint hint of musky-ish powder on my skin.

Grapefruit and ozone give way to tobacco flower and ozone. This one is a distinctively airy and ozoney blend.

Slightly masculine, medium throw, low wear length.

Tobacco flower, airy, cologney.

Yeah, I don't know.

It goes on a little sweet and fruity, although I can't really identify the fruit. As it dries, though, the sweetness fades and it turns into more of a hazy aquatic + white florals. A little musky, a little ozoney. Kind of odd and difficult to pin down.

Despite the review, I don't dislike it per se... I just kind of have no idea what I'm smelling.

In the decant: Lily (or some strong white floral), some kind of citrus fruit (perhaps lime or grapefruit), and perhaps some ozone. The lily stands out the most to my nose.

Wet: Lime and lily (or another strong white floral) seem to be the dominant notes at first, but then the ozone note emerges and seems to become more prominent over time.

Dry: The white floral is really strong now, and it is starting to give me a headache. I don't really get any citrus from this any more. It's mostly floral with some ozone.

Verdict: Not for me. It started giving me a headache and making me feel nauseated. I've tried washing it off twice, and it won't seem to budge.

Edited by dementia_divine

Oddly floral and perfumey. If I had to guess it seems like there’s jasmine and lily in this.

Sort of like a white floral bouquet blend you’d get in a high quality soap. Pretty but not my thing.

Kind of fruity, kind of heady floral, if this were a color, it would be hazy, pinky purple with an emphasis on the 'pinky'. It's somewhat heady and fake smelling, like those aromatherapy machines in spas that give off a mist, only this is not spa-like at all. Clubby and rather artificial smelling. Not for me.

Seems like everyone gets something different from this so I needed to try it. I get Magnolia. Straight up Magnolia. And I love it. Shut the front door - found another floral! :) I wonder what my bottle will smell like, LOL!

ETA: it may actually be gardenia...my bottle is amazing. :-)

Edited by Herb Girl

I've never smelled actual fog machine juice...

I get ozone + lemon. It's airy and pretty, reminds me slightly of Shanghai. Makes me think of fluorescent yellow, of lightning. Would wear again!

Wet: I smell bubble bath for half a second, and then it turns citrussy.

Drydown: Ozone with something fruity or sweet. It’s sort of a dry sweetness, like powdered sugar. Vaguely fruity, but not overly so. The guesses of quince might be right. It's not as sweet as I'm making it sound, though. Mainly it's airy.

Dry: This is a gentle, fruity-but airy blend. It’s sweet, yes, but only a little bit. I think white musk is at the core, giving it a lightweight, hard to identify quality. I haven’t noticed any florals, but there might be one hiding in there. It’s so barely-there that it’s hard to say. My note guesses are white musk, ozone, some sort of gentle fruit, something pale and dry (cotton?), and a touch of something cold (eucalyptus??).

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited to add: Apparently my cousin's beau loves the scent of Fog Machine Juice and he thought this smelled exactly like the real thing.

Edited by BoneBone24

This is weird, and way more perfumey than I would have expected. It is a cool, misty, sweet floral (I agree with BoneBone24 that it is a dry sweetness). There IS a quality here that reminds me of a fog machine? But mostly I think it is a sweet, ozone-y floral.

Wow, I never thought this would smell good! it's hard to pin point what I'm smelling, other than it reminds me of a commercial perfume. I do get something ozoney and a little floral. Surprisingly wearable if you enjoy scents like that.

Edited by ziggystardust13

Fog Machine imp

Wet/Bottle - Clean yet oozey, kind of like Sprite.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Damn that crisp, wet cleanness. I was kind of expecting a dirty smokiness from the name, but this is the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, i love me some smoke, but this is just so...refreshing.

Yep, I'm gonna need a bottle.

Imp : Wet. Cucumber-y.

Wet Skin: Club soda with lemon?

This is a quirky scent. It's got elements of citrus or something sharp - but it's not forefront it's just accent. It has a general funky vibe overall. I keep going back to cucumbers, but it's not. not proper.

I think it smells like a skin-peel I had as a pre-teen. It was cucumber and slightly medicinal. But fresh and clean and kind of funky smelling. That's exactly it.

Verdict : Aloe-Cucumber facial peel-off mask. Or sprite in a mister.

Wet: Something citrus(grapefruit?), and floral. Ozone as well. Definitely has that "hazy" quality to it. On the sweet side!

Dry: Okay, may not grapefruit? Still some citrus, floral, and ozone. The ozone is much lighter now, and the sweetness has amped up. I think the floral might be jasmine, but it usually turns soapy on my skin, and is not here.

So... a sweet citrus-floral with ozone.

In the decant: It smells oddly clean, kinda like toilet cleaner or air freshener. The longer I sniff the more lemon I smell, and it's a sharp one! I also smell something that I want to say is melon?

On me: I get this weird picture in my head of stepping into a newly cleaned kitchen inside the home of an elderly smoker. It's very specific for some reason, this very clean but smokey smell. It has that chalky smell that fog machines have! It's bringing me back to the disco fridays we had in middle school :D

It's been sitting on my arm for an hour and now it smells like a mix of old peaches and that chalky smell. I'm probably not going to keep my decant, peaches just aren't my kind of thing.

This is nicer than I thought it would be. It's kind of hard to describe the scent though. It's somewhat a clean smell, but there's this smokey note to it (not incense). It's also a little bit fruity but I can't quite place my finger on what note it is since the smoke is more present on me. I want to say some type of berries? And there's also a little bit floral too in the background.

It's intriguing and gets sweeter over time on me. But I think this does work best if it's layered with something else. For example, Rattlecans and Sliders from the 2020 Lilith release this year. It has this note along with soft serve strawberry ice cream. I'm sure this would work well with other sweet oils to give it a bit of depth.

Loving this decant, may get a bottle!