Autumn — overlooked my Knitting
Dyes — said He — have I
Could disparage a Flamingo
Show Me them — said I

Cochineal — I chose — for deeming
It resemble Thee
And the little Border — Dusker
For resembling Me

For my knitter posse! A warm scent, as delicate as lace and as soft as cashmere, and as cozy as wool, punctuated with red currant for the blazing red of cochineal and surrounded a border of soft grey ambergris and a swirl of autumn leaves.

Interesting as hell, and beautiful when it dries down. When I first applied this, I mostly got the leaves. Like a pile of damp leaves, which isn't bad because I totally associate that smell with fall. But then as it dries, the fuzzy grey ambergris comes out to play and suddenly the scent becomes slightly resiny, soft, and cozy. Really gorgeous, and a surprise morpher.

My thought-stream after dabbing it on my wrist: "Ohhh warm. Wha- how's this smell like wool? Wool itchiness in my nose? Hmm and something sweet, must be the currant. OH HI AMBERGRIS THERE YOU ARE." It was doing really well, but my skin obliterated everything but the ambergris as soon as it dried.

I'll let this one age and try again. It starts out cozy and probably turns into something lovely on other skin chemistry.

on wet (admittedly fresh from the mailbox) I could smell each of the notes most distinctly. dry smokey leaves, beloved ambergris, and the current lending a fruity brightness.

as this dries down, the elements come together and I get flashbacks of working in a yard store. that smell of wool and silk skeins has been bottled! crazy.

as a perfume, the scent is very very pretty. a bit cleaner and brighter than what I normally reach for, but I'm still keeping this bottle

Last night fresh from the mailbox, it was clear this hadn't settled yet. It's so strange that this morning it smells totally different to me.... In the bottle, the leaves are prominent, and if I concentrate I can smell the ambergris, but the currant is nowhere to be found. Bt once this touches my skin, it opens up and just.... blooms. The currant appears, fights with the ambergris to be heard over the leaves, and then it all folds together and blends beautifully. On my skin, ambergris has a tendency to go masculine but I think the currant in I his prevents that from happening. It's a fairly simple scent that eventually ends up an equal part of all three notes with a contemplative mood.

Man, my skin chemistry is weird. Lovely cuddly ambergris and wool? Nope, says trollface!skin, you're going to smell like junior prom.

I'm definitely getting the "delicate", and maybe even a little "soft", but on me, this goes straight to a traditional perfumey fruity-floral. It feels very young and bright, sort of in the vein of Marc Jacobs Daisy. This is definitely more a springtime scent than an autumnal one. And *very* definitely the kind of thing I would have enjoyed much, much more as a teenager than now. Like, I'm glad I have it in my collection for diversity's sake, but if I were to smell this at, say, a Will Call, I would probably pass it on by. In the drydown, it gets a little more mature, but only in the sense of prom night to freshman orientation.

Bottle: Very fruity and red with a fuzzy sort of edge. I know it it is the currant but it almost goes a little citrus like grapefruit or yuzu.

Wet: It is similar to the bottle but it instantly smooths out and softens. Almost right away it begins to have a yarny feel.

Dry: It is soft, warm, fuzzy, and bright all at the same time. It really does smell like wonderful yarn feels, almost an experience more than a perfume stays very close to the skin.

Overall: This for me is a huge hit. Very comforting but also unique.

I'm not sure I have had ambergris before. It is lovey in a very close and fresh, a little musky, almost but not quite powdery way. I'm going to have to seek it out in other blends.

This is gorgeous! It's the fuzzy and warm ambergris that I love with the bright red currant that I also love. They mesh together really well and make this soft, cozy and warm scent that is perfect for fall.

Wow! Soft and warm. Simple but lovely.

Ambergris is one of my true note loves and this one doesn't disappoint. It's just so cuddly which is not a word I associate with Ambergris. It might be that its blended in with the Leaves note which I can certainly smell. Currants give this blend a bit of a sweet pop.

Something about this blend makes me think of a man's cologne but it's not masculine. More like a feminized cologne.

For me it's the winner of this year's weenies. :lovestruck:

In the imp, I get leaves. It reminds me a lot of Autumn Coolness. If I sniff a bit, I can detect maybe a hint of fuzz or fabric.

Wet on the skin, ambergris comes out to play! It's just a little bit herbal, and a little bit sweet from the currant. "Fuzzy" is the perfect descriptor for this - it smells like how sinking your fingers into skeins of the softest yarn feels. I'm sniffing it while wrapped up in a warm fuzzy blanket (okay, two) and it just... it smells how I feel. "Yep, this scent describes this moment."

As it dries, all the notes blend together beautifully. I can't really pick out the currant or the ambergris or the leaves or the fabrics. Nothing fades away, nothing takes over. They just... mingle. From time to time I do get a stronger whiff of leaves, primarily from the crook of my arm (I applied it there and on the wrist). There isn't a ton of throw here. I think it would be a perfect sleep scent, particularly if the general recommendations of lavender or vanilla-type blends don't work for you.

When it's fresh out of the bottle., there's this note that reminds me of pimento. It's the same one that was in Oborot. It's very masculine. It also kind of reminds me of something from Privilege.

Then as it dries down, it starts to smell a lot like Haloes, the retail exclusive that I've been trying desperately get my hands on. Autumn Overlooked my Knitting is better, because it also has that wool note, that smells to me, like fur. I really love whatever accord that is, and I really hope Beth continues making new scents with it. Maybe one for the general catalog would be fun?

If you like this, also try Antikythera Mechanism. AM also starts out kind of masculine and then mellows.

I love AOLMK so much, that I have ordered two back up bottles. I really think this one is going to age well. I don't want to risk running out.

This is, yes, a primarily soft and cozy scent. Very, very soft. I'm not getting red currant at all; there is not the slightest fruity quality to this blend on my skin. My beloved ambergris, yes, and something else that might be leaves although it's not the distinct LEAF note that every other BPAL with leaves contains.

Quiet, unassuming, soft. I will probably reach for my Single Note or Humpback Whale when I want ambergris; this one is just sort of fuzzy and indistinct to my nose. It's nice enough, but it doesn't wow me.

Edited by OctoberGwen

I cannot resist an em dash (or Em Dickinson) so Autumn — Overlooked my Knitting was an automatic add to my Halloweenie order. I wasn't sure it would be a keeper, as I don't normally love the leafy notes. But I do love ambergris accord, so I held out hope.

In the bottle and freshly applied, that leafy note is almost too much for me—it's a little sharp. But after just a few minutes, this goes from a bit bitter to pretty pretty. The ambergris and soft wool feel very grey and soft, with bright reds coming through in the currant and fall leaves. Once fully dry, this is like an autumnal, terra firma take on Lyonesse. Definitely keeping my bottle, and can't wait to pair this with a cozy wool sweater.

I'm not fond of ambergris. I didn't realize that until today. It has this salty-foam-y-skin-musk thing that is not for me. If ambergris is your thing, however, this scent will make you very happy. It's warm and fuzzy and very much a second-skin scent. The pop of currant is a nice touch.

For sweater days, I'll reach for Sonnet d'Automne.

Edited by riddel

In the bottle: The familiar BPAL leaf note, and something simultaneously musky, aquatic, and slightly salty that must be the ambergris. I’ve never knowingly smelled it before, but I don’t know what else it would be.

Wet: same as above, brightened by the red currant.

When this first dries, and shortly afterwards, there’s a note I can only describe as celery, odd as that sounds. I think it’s from the combination of the leaf note and the saltiness of the ambergris.

Autumn Overlooked My Knitting is one of those blends that smells better to me in the throw than when I put my nose right against my skin. That may be because of the currants; Eat Me, which also contains them, does the same thing on me.

Despite my (obvious) affection for artisinal and niche fragrance, I also have a soft spot for classic perfumery, particularly queenly 20's ones like Shalimar, Arpege, or Chanel #5:
Autumn--Overlooked My Knitting is in that same powdery, abstract, warm, elegant family. It stays very close to the skin on me, however, so it's maybe a little less formal and imposing.

The only "must buy full bottle" from this season's decants. Probably.

In bottle: Autumn leaf accord dominant, sweetened by a strong red current note. There really is a soft yarn background. This is cozy and delicate and really suits its concept. Wet: The red currant becomes dominant as it warms, though the leaves stay strong. The knitting ties things together remaining a gentle background. Dry: It stays fruit dominant, but the various sorts of clothing come out as it wears. It ends up smelling a bit too much like my Grammy on me for me to be comfortable with it.

When this is wet I get each of the notes quite clearly -- primary is the familiar BPAL leaf note (which isn't a huge favorite, but here it's not too aquatic for me), the fruity sweet red currant, and then there is the ambergris adding something softly salty and animal. After it dries, the leaves get more subtle and the currant and ambergris blend together, leaving something that doesn't really smell wooly to me, but nonetheless is a soft and cozy close to skin scent. It's evocative of being with your knitting, rather than a recreation of a particular scent. I like it a lot more than I'd actually thought I would! It's perfect for a cool day where I want to pull on a scent that's the equivalent of putting on a warm sweater.

In the bottle I can almost not smell anything at all!

On my skin it becomes a comfy, soft currant scent - probably with ambergris, but I'm not too sure what that smells like...

I can see how one can associate this with knitting: it feels warm like woolen yarn and no note dominates the others.

I really like it, but it's very faint on my skin, so I might not need a full bottle. Will definitely be keeping my decant, though!

This scent is wonderful. The wet stage is slightly earthy, likely due to the note of autumn leaves. It dries fairly quickly and a sweet note starts to come out, its faint but cozy, not sharp or obvious. I think it is the red currant mixing with the amber gris. The scent is comforting and relaxing, it's perfect for me. It's a close the skin scent but it lasted on me all day. I am definitely purchasing a bottle.

Edited by velvet

I love this. On my skin I get a soft, musky, cozy scent sweetened by the red currant. I can smell the autumn leaves note in the bottle, but not on my skin. Decent throw and wear time, I kept catching whiffs throughout the day, and it was faded, but still present ~8 hours later. Doesn't morph on me at all.

On me this smells mostly like benzoin. There's a bit of an alcohol/cologne bite at first, that I associate with BPAL's dry leaf note, followed by a lightly sweet and resinous smell on my skin. I think there's a similar musk to the one in Morocco. It's very pretty and soft. It also reminds me a bit of Dolly Kei, minus the dark tobacco.

Fairly fresh from the mail, so take with a grain of salt since I'll probably need to retest. Like one of the other reviewers, I'm getting zingy citrus o.O Not quite grapefruit, not quite yuzu, not quite lemon or lime... No idea what's causing that. It starts to morph almost immediately and the word that comes to mind is "stately". It feels very elegant to me. On the drydown, it's definitely soft and cozy but still elegant. Cashmere, not wool. Pretty but not something I'd wear often.

The bitter leaf note is definitely strongest both in the imp and wet on my skin. There is something a little musky and fuzzy behind it. I don't get anything sweet or currant-y at all with this one. The leaf note fades a bit as it dries, but remains present as the fuzzy amber/whatever gets a little stronger. I generally dislike leaf notes, so I may be more sensitive to it than others would be. I find the throw very low, and this to be very much a skin-hugging scent.

When wet, this has a fuzzy, leafy wool smell. Kinda cozy, but also chilly. As it dries, it starts to sweeten and warm up! The wool turns softer, more into cashmere. The berries and musk start to show up, as well. This comes off as the warmest, cosiest skin scent, with just the slightest chilly touch in the back! Love love love this!