Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
keileya

Visions of Autumn VI

Oakmoss, lavender absolute, petitgrain, rockrose, white patchouli, and sage.

In the bottle it's gorgeous -- lavender and sweet sage with a hint of something warm underneath it. As soon as it hits my skin the sage and lavender really bloom, and the lavender picks up the more dark and spicy end that Beth's lavender can get sometimes. I was worried about the patchouli, but it's white patchouli and not dark patchouli -- it's a simulataneously very warm and ethereal patchouli that just underpins the whole deal.

I wound up liking about half of the Visions of Autumns in the bottle, but I think VI might be my favorite. It's more a spicy herbal than a flowery herbal. It's great now, and I think it's going to be even greater with another few months of aging.

Wet, lavender, but not sharp or bitter. As it dries, I am picking up the oakmoss and a little sage, like this was lightly smudged.

Dried, it's predominately lavender and oakmoss, but with something underneath to keep it mellow and close to the skin. Very pretty and would be wonderful for sleep.

First sniff – I'm only getting the lavender, it is of the thick and sweetened variety, as opposed to the sharp and astringent kind.

Skin test – simple concept, brilliant execution. My favorite of the bunch so far. Gorgeous sweet lavender. This is one of those scents that needs to be given a chance on the skin, sniffing from the bottle or decant won't do it justice. I think this scent would be easy to overlook, but it really is lavender perfection in a bottle. I have lots of other lavender scents in my collection, this one is by far my favorite. I can only think to describe it as smelling your most favorite lavender bush, but better.

Edit: my initial reviews are always so optimistic. I have a bottle of this now and realize that it smells very similar to Villain.

Edited by strahlend

This is pretty sharp to me. I keep getting whiffs of citronella underneath everything. It's not bad, but it's not my favorite. I keep trying lavender blends and I may have to accept that they're just not for me. :blush2:

Sweet, dark, lavender. This is lavender, with a touch of sage and rockrose. The base almost smells masculine to me in the drydown. In fact, after 30 minutes, I would qualify this as a masculine, slightly lavender sophisticated cologne. Low throw, decent wearlength.

Off to try this on mr. zee_zee.

After wearing for a day I realize this is too masculine for me. It's an oakmoss petitgrain cologne, overlaid with a slightly astringent lavender/sage that never quite marries on my skin - they form two discrete layers, one warm and one cool.

This wants only the right guy to be an amazing, sophisticated autumnal haze. How on earth do you make a masculine lavender? Like this!

Edited by bheansidhe

When I first put it on it was a very strong herbal lavender mixed with sage giving it a bit of extra punch. A few hours latter there was a sweet floral overlay to it. Many hours later the lavender is softer but still prominent and there a a more bitter, earthy element.

I started out the morning thinking it would be a sleepy blend but really that isn't where it went. Very unisex and very long lasting.

In the bottle: Greenery with spices that make me think of aftershave.

Wet on my skin: Waxy, still with a sharp green note, and it's also a little cleaner than before, but still a little plasticky…it's a hard set of notes for me to identify.

Drydown: Still a sharp green note, with a plastic/aftershave base. It burns down to a straight incense.

Overall, this is just a weird one on me. I didn't get any sense of lavender, and I'm not really sure what it was trying to be. The throw was light to average and the duration was a few hours.

I'm always a sucker for lavender, and this definitely has it, the herbal variety, less floral. It has a bit of a masculine vibe, which I'm guessing is the oakmoss. This is just 'ok' me, and I own lavender blends that are nicer than this, so no need to upgrade.

This has aged beautifully, The Lavender EO has rounded out nicely, I smell a cool, clean & serene autumn scent. When I first read the notes I wondered how this would playout as an autumnal scent. But,I get a whiff of Fall air behind the clean scent. Very nicely done.

I am usually a sucker for the BPAL autumn scents, but this smells like a generic cologne on me. As it dries, it gets a little softer, but it still has a weird, cologne staleness to it.

I agree that this is cologne-like. The lavender is turning sour and strange on my skin, with a sort of dry, sour undertone from the moss, something like sour lemons, and it smells oddly musky and clean. I like my lavenders to be sweeter and more creamy/smooth. This is a soured cologne scent on me.