Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bheansidhe

Visions of Autumn III

Bourbon vanilla, aged patchouli, honey, and Ceylon cinnamon.

Definitely agree with the BB vibes. I find it most similar to that beloved blend in the imp (which I tried almost right out of the mail and it's cold and snowy so I should probably retest...) On me, it's BB's softer, sweeter, less dirty hippie little sister while Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure is perhaps BB's older, more seductive sister. They're all in the same family and Little Maggie is definitely a cousin but with cacao. This particular patch is my FAVORITE. It's earthy, a bit dirty, rough, and delightful without being over the top gnarly like OWS was on me. This really ends up quite soft and cozy, sticking close to the skin. The honey and vanilla tame the potentially beastly patch, but I do wish for a bit more cinnamon as I get none of that and I think the spice would have made this GLORIOUSER. Yes it's a word, I just said it :P I will definitely need a bottle or six.

Bourbon vanilla, aged patchouli, honey, and Ceylon cinnamon.

In the bottle: Honey, slightly dirty which must be the patchouli.

On my skin:Honey with a small whiff of the bourbon vanilla at first. There i a faint spiciness in the background which is cinnamon with patchouli but I would like it to come more to the front so that I can enjoy it better. It doesn't take long! Barely 5 minutes later it spices up so that it is a lovely spicy honey scent now. About half an hour later all I can smell is the spice which is mostly the aged patchouli at this point.

Drydown: Spice. :)

Patchouli honey! Visions of Autumn III is a honey-forward, light patchouli blend on me. I get very little vanilla and almost no cinnamon here—they're really subtle. On the drydown, it becomes a honeyed skin scent with just a hint of patch. I like it on its own, but it's also pretty spectacular layered with Snake Oil.

Yup, patchouli + honey.

It doesn't remind me very much of BB, however. I actually rather liked that scent even though I tend to dislike most patchouli-heavy blends, but this one has the same sort of patchouli note I'm generally not a fan of. I get very little vanilla, and something at the honey-patchouli intersection makes the throw of this a touch metallic to my nose.

The cinnamon never shows up anywhere as far as I can tell, and I'm pretty sensitive to cinnamon generally.

In the bottle: Vanilla, patch, and honey. Yummy, but not in a foodie way, exactly.

Wet: Beautifully melding together! A tiny hint of spice that must be from the cinnamon. I could huff my wrist forever. Not a grtty patch, btw.

The dry-down: A glorious mix of non-foodie honey and vanilla, tempered by the gentle patch, and given a slight spiciness by the cinnamon, which is not obvious as such.

Sweet vanilla patchouli with a hint of honey. Medium throw.

It's like Banshee Beat's little and softer sister.

If you wanted an accessible and wearable patchouli, try this.

I have to agree with the others who compare this to Banshee Beat. I compared bottle-sniffs side by side, and this is definitely the same patchouli as in BB. On my skin, this has a very similar vanilla and patchouli blend, although it is much softer and sweetened by the honey. I really can't sniff any cinnamon, and I usually amp cinnamon, but I'm sure it's in there enough to make this blend it's own distinct scent. Finally, I lined up all three bottles to compare: Feed Me and Fill Me, Banshee Beat, and Visions III, and they are all in the same family, ranked as listed from strongest/darkest to sweetest/lightest. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking for something in that family- get it now so you don't have to chase a holy grail later on. :wink:

Oh... oh my. Oh MY. I thought there was no way this would work on me, given that honey sometimes goes plasticky on my skin, and cinnamon can sometimes go in the direction of generic Christmas Spice. But early reviews were so good that I thought I'd give it a shot. On me, wet and dry, this is just a lovely, sweet patchouli, and it is just perfect--the patch I didn't know I was looking for but am so glad to have found. Very, very nice!

Never having tried the fabled Banshee Beat, I cannot chime in, but this is good stuff. Good. Sweet, but very fresh, not cloying. Everything melds into a nice cool incense. Win.

I do get the Feed me and Fill Me comparison but that one is sharper to my nose. This one is rounder. It starts off with that creamy thick fuzzy thing like Tombeur (the most amazing BPAL, ever.)

It is however light, and sometimes I will end up throwing something heavier on top, like, um, Tombeur...

Cannot smell the cinnamon to save my life however. This may lead to layering with Playful Wooden Mallets. The other most amazing BPAL ever.

Edited by stellamaris

I never sniffed BB or Feed Me and Fill Me w/Pleasure, but what this reminds me is of a less thick and more thinner version of Third Charm minus the red musk. It doesn't project very much, but maybe it's what makes it all around much more wearable and comforting.

In the botte, patchouli and vanilla - strong like vanilla extract, not sweet. On me, it's the more dirty patchouli than the woody pencil shavings kind, with an almost-smoky feel to it. I think the cinnamon is coming out a bit as it's drying, and there's definitely a sweetness there keeping it from being to much. As it dries more I'm getting the honey and vanilla, just a tiny touch of cinnamon, and the patchouli all together smelling really rich and gorgeous. This is what I'd hoped Tricksy would be!

As it's continuing, the patchouli is still the strongest bit, but the other elements are hanging in there. I liked it better a few minutes ago when they were more equal, but that may be me amping the patchouli. Patch is something that sticks to my skin and lingers for days. Lucky I like it! I'm thinking this is going to become a cool weather staple, and should age beautifully. I think it will layer well, too - I'm testing Pumpkin Spice Everything also right now, and the combined throw is pretty amazing. I could see this working great with Snake Oil, too.

This just keeps getting better the longer I wear it. I can't wait to wear this a full day and see how it develops over a longer time, because it's really gorgeous!

EDIT: I have now tested Feed Me and Fill Me - which turned into all perfumey amber, all the time, and has much stronger patch. This is definitely softer and sweeter. I have also now slathered this on two days in a row. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I want to bathe in it. It's got less throw than I'd like, and is the softest patchouli I've ever tried, but it's still amazing.

Edit again: I've come to realize there is a type of patchouli that tries to be vetiver, on me - that almost burned smoky smell (vetiver is straight up BBQ smoke on me). This is that patchouli, but the sweetness softens it up quickly and makes it really pretty. I've now tested it against Tricksy, and the extreme dry down is near identical... however Tricksy goes through a few hours of being too woodsy/smoky/dirty before getting to the balanced dry down that this gets to in less than half an hour.

Edited by AmyAngel

Well, I'm going to have to be the odd girl here and say this doesn't remind me of BB hardly at all. This actually starts off more like Tricksy to me, than BB. I can't for the life of me wear BB, but I can wear this! It's a soft, sweet, mellow patch that goes awesomely with Silkybat HG. Seriously considering a backup bottle! If you like patchouli, I think you'll love this. Also, not getting a lot of cinnamon or honey. Just a very cozy, soft patchouli. Go for it!

Edited by ladyjc

I was a little worried about this one since honey usually goes to powder on my skin. I didn't have a problem with the honey at all, but rather the perfume was practically non-existent for me. :( I get a vague whiff of sweetness and patchouli, and that's it. Off to swaps.

Honeyed patchouli, very soft, cozy and intimate...not something particulary stunning, not a great personality, but perfect for quiet days

nice in bottle with hints of cinnamon, turns soapy but mixed evenly with patchouli and underlying cinnamon spice....so, weird

fades away within an hour or two

I get honey + patch from this. I loved BB, and this is no replacement, but I think the patch is similar. The honey doesn't go powdery on me, it's like the honey from Tomoe Gozen. Eventually, the patchouli fades (????) and leaves me with mostly honey. It's nice, but I'd rather have more patch. Perhaps age will help. :)

Well color me disappointed. I was expecting great things from VAIII, but I'm really not getting a lot. At first, its a lovely amber with a bit of a citrus twang. Five minutes later, a washed out version of Hesiod's Phoenix, which isn't bad, but I was expecting so much more. Maybe it's my skin, and it just arrived yesterday, but it's hardly even there. I will hold onto the bottle for a bit, as I love a good amber, but for now, I am not impressed.

eta: definitely now where near Banshee Beat. On me anyways. I wonder if there is a batch variant.

Edited by milo

So beautiful in the bottle, all spicy honeyed patchouli, but sadly on me, it went pure patchouli for about five minutes before transmuting to burned patchouli, and then on to leather. Every hour, the leather gets dirtier and more worn. I do not want to smell like a belt.

In the bottle: Honey. Like so many other blends this reminds me of A Wonderful Light. But this is much heavier and has an alcohol vibe to it. It feels snuggly and comforting, but not in a sticky way. There's also some citrus in here as well.

On: The patchouli is out first. A careful and grassy one, not blazing and powerful as in most blends. The vanilla is second. It's not very foodie, but it sweeten the scent up on my skin. I just hope this isn't one of those vanillas that give me migraines or smells like Play D'oh. All of a sudden there's a deep smokeyness coming out from V III, and it smells like Antikythera Mechanism without the woods! Unfortunately AM was not for me, and I'm getting a feeling this won't be for me either.

It goes through the smokey phase and then the sweetness comes out in full bloom. It's all honey and patch! no vanilla or cinnamon to be seen :( It's a good perfume for cold or rainy days, when you just want to curl up under a blanket. It's not what I had expected from it. I had hoped for a more prominent vanilla.

I've allowed this to settle for a few months as when I first tried it it was screamy dirty patchouli. I'm happy to say it's mellowed but into non-screamy dirty patchouli. Arg!

This is lovely, I like it so much more than I thought I would! I love patch, but lately it's been weird on me sometimes - not here. This is beautiful rounded, smoother patch, with honey and vanilla. I actually don't get any of the cinnamon. This is so lovely and I am glad to have it!

The patch is fairly smooth and soft, and the honey and vanilla make this pretty snuggly. I get just a touch of very soft cinnamon.

Dark, woody patchouli with a bright, creamy, sort of citrusy-floral honey note and a little bit of woody, sharp cinnamon. It keeps making me think of cedar and cinnamon bark as it dries down, and the honey is sweeter as it settles. I think that honey+patchouli is always a good time, so I like this, though I have a lot of similar blends at this point.

I really should learn my lesson about blind bottle purchases, and yet, I continue to do so every year. 

Visions of Autumn III was one I bought before I knew honey isn't one of my favorite notes- it often makes blends smell dry and dusty to my nose. Mixed with patchouli, my first impression is a sweet, dusty, wooden headshop. The cinnamon is also contributing to the overall dryness of this scent. While I agree that the bourbon vanilla is a little resinous and creamy, it isn't enough to combat the dryness of the other notes.

I'm sure this would appeal to many, but it isn't for me.

In bottle: It's so faint! I get a hint of a very dirty patchouli and nothing else. 

Wet on skin: It's barely there! Still a very dirty, herb patch. 

Dry (about four hours): It took forever for the patch to calm down but it settled into a dry patch/honey scent that I'm not entirely sure works on me. 

Maybe I have to let this one sit for a few months....

Edited by lipstickonmyteeth92
Adding information