Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bheansidhe

Visions of Autumn III

Bourbon vanilla, aged patchouli, honey, and Ceylon cinnamon.

It's got a base akin to the thick aged-patchouli-and-vanilla of Banshee Beat (there, I said it, let the stampede begin), but liberally cut with syrupy honey. I get almost no cinnamon. The vanilla, which is slight, smells like the woodsy, resinous vanilla from Hope and Fear Set Free. Overall this is a complex, earthy, honey-and-patchouli on me. Soft as worn leather, floats low on the skin. If these are your notes, then rundon'twalk.

On me this smelled liked sweetened patchouli. The vanilla was particularly distinct, it was more of a sugared patch scent than anything. I get no cinnamon from it. It's really lovely when dry and the patchouli isnt WHOA PATCH at all. I think Silkybat fans would like this.

This is very much a sweeter Goblin on the dry down - in fact, for someone who amps cinnamon like whoa I'm surprised I don't get any. Im very happy with it, but I'm gonna age it for a while and hope more of the honey and cinnamon show. I was really happy since sometimes bourbon vanilla can be bad on me but it was very behaved and worked lovely with the patch.

Side note: I am someone who prefers Goblin over Banshee Beat so I also would say if you love BB try this one out.

How does this have only two reviews so far!? It's phenomenal!

In the bottle, I get honey and vanilla, with a very mellow patchouli. If I sniff carefully, I can detect just a pinch of cinnamon. It's very similar once applied, though the patchouli gets a bit stronger. None of the notes is overwhelming, and I can pick up on all of them. The cinnamon is really very mild the whole time, lending a bit of nose-tingle and upping the woodsy factor, but not to the point of burning. Both patch and honey normally amp on my skin, but here they're both playing very nicely - like when a young kitten has spent its day tearing up your curtains and chewing on your computer wires and finally finds itself utterly exhausted and curls up on your chest for a rare quiet snuggle. This is very rich, syrupy, and a bit woody, but it's also very gentle. Despite its components, and despite the intensity when I put my nose to it, it really does hover relatively close to the skin. It's definitely a cuddly sort of blend. I want to cuddle myself while I'm wearing it. :P

I never ever buy backups, but I'm seriously considering a second one of these - it's that beautiful.

This is the same patchouli that is in Banshee Beat on my skin. However, in VoA III it is very mellow. On me...I have a honeyed vanilla banshee beat. I amp all the notes...and it's lovely...but I don't need a bottle. I can see the BB comparison though....I really can.

It's all patchouli and honey on me. That's all. Patchouli and honey. Wet, dry, warmed... and I'm just DEPRESSED about it.

I'm sure it will work better for someone else. Sigh. So saaaaaaaad.

In the bottle: Spicy patchouli

Wet: still spicy patchouli

Dry: UNF. The patch backs off and creamy vanilla comes out. The patchouli and spice play together nicely and capture a dry, earthy autumn smell, with the honey and vanilla rounding it out. Like splashing through a big pile of bright red leaves with a vanilla chai in hand!

My only complaint is I don't get a lot of throw after the first few minutes and it seems to be pretty light already (and I applied only 2 hours ago). I am very sparing in my application, particularly when trying something for the first time, so maybe I just need a slightly heavier hand. Otherwise, this is a scent I'm considering a backup bottle for. :wub3:

Bottle: patchouli and bourbon vanilla

Wet: bourbon vanilla, patchouli, and a hint of honey

Dry: cinnamon patchouli with bouron vanilla and honey

This is perfect for fall and even winter. I agree that it is a very cozy/snuggle/cuddle me scent.

I amp the honey and vanilla the most when wearing this. The cinnamon and patchouli stick in the background. This one also stays close to the skin.

On me, this is like a muted, more thoughtful Womb Furie. Very cuddly and warm and autumnal - it makes me feel like I'm burrowing into a beloved sweater. I get almost no cinnamon at all - it's pretty much straight up honeyed patchouli, with a flicker of vanilla. Of the 5 Weenie bottles I ordered, October and Halloween 1914 are "outside scents" and this is an "inside scent" of a warm cozy evening.

In the imp: Honey and patchouli.

Wet: For anyone who remembers a Lush bubble bath called Flying Saucers, this is the same honey that was in Flying Saucers.

As Visions of Autumn III dries, I get a whiff of earthiness from the patchouli. I also smell the cinnamon, very faintly. Sometmes cinnamon, especially in fresh blends, has irritated my skin. That doesn’t happen here.

This is a very close-to-the skin blend, warm and cozy. I haven’t smelled Banshee Beat, so I can’t make any comparisons in that direction. I will say that of all my decants, this was the one I was compelled to test first, and I’m already contemplating at least one bottle.

I skin tested Visions III straight out of the mail, and was rather disappointed. I was hoping for more vanilla and cinnamon, but it was all honey and patch- and I amp the honey to the sky! It stayed that way for about 3 hours and faded away.

Now, several days later, I test it and while it is still a burst of honey for the first five minutes, the gorgeous vanilla (yes, BB reminiscent) is really starting to shine along with the patch. At this point it's making me think of a cross between BB and Badgers with the now-much-gentler honey note. I'm planning to keep it aging and test periodically, because I suspect that if it continues as it is starting in that process, it is going to one of my most treasured scents.

Decanted by Mellifluous. 3rd BPAL Tried

In imp: Patchouli and straight bourbon, I think. Not very sweet.

On Wet: Straight patch with a bit of vanilla. I'm getting a hint of cinnamon in the background, but it's very mellow. I'm not detecting honey.

One Hour later: This one dries very quickly. I probably could have put "30 minutes later". The honey comes out a little more, but overall it is nearly identical to the wet stage to me. Never having tried Banshee Beat, I can't give you a comparison there, but this doesn't sweeten up much on me. Not much to say on this one. I really get mellow patchouli.

Patchouli and sickeningly sweet Honey. That's not something I've written in a review before. I normally love honey and love sweetness but there is too much of a good thing in this blend.

AND No vanilla :rantrave: No Cinnamon :rantrave: I'm so sad.

I will age VoA III before deciding whether to send it off to another home. Maybe age will bring out the vanilla and/or mellow the honey.

Patchouli and sickeningly sweet Honey. That's not something I've written in a review before. I normally love honey and love sweetness but there is too much of a good thing in this blend.

AND No vanilla :rantrave: No Cinnamon :rantrave: I'm so sad.

I will age VoA III before deciding whether to send it off to another home. Maybe age will bring out the vanilla and/or mellow the honey.

Im scared. I hate honey and was really hoping it would be a minor player and i am so sad reading all of the reviews...hate honey.

I am staring at my bottle right.now. and am telling it to be more cinnamon, patchouli and vanilla which are three of my five favorite notes.

I will edit this post to add my review tonight...if i can get up the courage...

Editing to add my review...

Well then, why was i scared?! This is gorgeous patchouli sweetened by the vanilla and a touch of cinnamon honey.

This is GORGEOUS! I love it and am so glad i took a chance!!!

Edited by Herb Girl

Wet, patchouli and honey. Wow, this really morphs a lot from the wet stage. It stays pretty much patchouli and honey, but as it dries, the patch mellows and the honey recedes enough not to be cloying (honey is a problematic scent for me. Not like rose geranium, but still. I digress).

This picks up a little of the bourbon vanilla, again smoothing the honey into liquid gold and turning the patchouli sweet and sexy. There is no cinnamon to be found (on me). I also get, when dried, some kind of pine (slightly reminds me of something in Illustrated Woman; maybe it's the honey/patch combo?)

Overall, I am pleased with this as I thought my nemesis would ruin this. Warm, comforting and snuggle worthy. FWIW, this doesn't remind me of Banshee Beat at all. That was all eww stinky hippie on me (blasphemy, I know!).

eta: I kept huffing and thinking this smelled familiar. Something in here reminds me of This Is Your Wilderness, with the honeyed patchouli. Not exact, but reminiscent.

Edited by samarablackcat

I'll join in on the chorus of those that find comparisons to Banshee Beat.

BUT-

And this is important- this is not the sexy-hippie-love-thong vibe that I got from Banshee Beat. Not by a mile.

While I'm not getting any of the cinnamon, the honey has done it's trick and very much transformed this scent and made it sweet and soft and maybe even a little sticky. As it dried further, the patch makes it's presence slightly more known but again, this is no dirty-hippie kind of scent. The honey makes the patchouli almost come across like a very, very soft leather. There's a sweet-but-earthy interplay here and I am interested in seeing how this scent might age for a month or so.

In the meantime, it's keeping me interested enough to wait and see what happens next. :smile:

First sniff – I get the patchouli and honey and some spice. The honey could be a deal breaker.

Skin testing – it's lighter than I would think. Almost a hint of flower? Smells like cheap chocolate chips? Perhaps that's the vanilla. The honey doesn't make me happy. It's just not a note I like anymore.

Dries down to a gently sweet mildly honeyed patchouli. Makes me think of what Womb Furie smells like in late dry down.

I had such high hopes for this decant, even though honey is one of my nemesises. I love honey in real life, so I keep thinking that maybe this decant would be different. Sigh. On me, the honey turns into a floral, perfumed sweetness that's not hideous, but not particularly exciting either. The patch (a very rooty patch) pokes out feebly underneath. No vanilla to be found at all. Overall this is pretty faint and sticks close to the skin. I may try aging it or putting it in a burner or something. Oh well.

If you like the bpal honey note, this could be great on you!

In the imp: Sweet! More honey-sweet than vanilla-sweet. I mean, the vanilla-sweet element is present, too; just less so than the honey-sweet. Maybe there's a hint of muskiness/spice? Mostly, though, it's a very sweet scent.

Wet: I admit I don't have the greatest scent profile for patchouli, but I do believe this is heavily-honeyed patch. TBH, though, it mostly reminds me of those complicated, expensive varieties of honey you get at Whole Foods. The vanilla quickly asserts itself, although the honey remains the dominant note. If there is any cinnamon in here, it's pretty well-buried. Overall, I would call this a foody scent, and, as per most foody scents on my skin, one with a pretty decent throw.

Dry: Ah, THERE'S the patchouli! But a sweet patchouli - by now I'd say more vanilla-sweet than honey-sweet, which I actually prefer. It's also much closer to the skin, but again, I see this as a plus. It REALLY hangs around, so for 10 hours or so, I've got a lovely skin-scent going.

I get the comparisons to Banshee Beat, patch + vanilla, check! However, the sweetness in this blend comes more from the honey note. To me, this is more like Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure, with an added spicy kick of cinnamon. I skin tested this only moments after receiving it in the mail, I'll need to do a side-by-side comparison with Feed Me...but I'm pretty sure they're almost identical.

I'll be back with an update! :)

Edited by Monster

Finally got my mitts on a decant of this, as this was one of the blends from this year's weenies I MOST wanted to try...

In the decant: I get a very soft vanilla sweetened by the honey (but not a distinct honey note) and a soft patch that smells like the same patch from Banshee Beat HOWEVER, it is so much softer, that it almost could pass as Oud. The cinnamon is also a dry woody cinnamon (more like a cinnamon stick) than the spicy "red hot" type of cinnamon. I wouldn't compare it with Banshee Beat, Nor Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure, as it's very much it's own scent. (To me, BB was very a gorgeous vanilla with a backdrop of woodsy patch, and Feed me and Fill me was Mainly Patch SN on me, sweetened up by the honey, where as say, Tricksy is very much Patch and Honey fairly equally.) It's all about ratios here!

Wet: very much the same as in the decant...not much changes when first applied.

Dry: This scent to me, gives me the same "warm and fuzzies" that Ivanushka gives me (not that they smell anything alike - they don't!) it's just one of those scents that makes you feel like you've been wrapped in a soft woolen blanket - it's COZY. as for the notes, the vanilla is so soft and subtle, and slightly sweet form the honey, but it's not as if I would sniff this and think "Vanilla!" those two notes really just provide a softcozy backdrop. The patch is also very subtle and soft, and mingles almost imperceptibly with the dry cinnamon. If you took banshee beat, and diluted it WAY down to a much more softer and subtle level, and then took out the prominance of the vanilla - you'd have Visions of Autumn III. It is a VERY well blended scent!

I was hoping this would be banshee beat meets haute macabre. Instead, I get a big mess of sour honey. Maaaaybe a tiny bit of those other things at the beginning - just enough to keep me from washing it off in the hopes that it'll warm up and turn beautiful. Blargh.

I picked this up to try it, and could smell patchouli right through the bottle! When I opened the bottle, though, I smelled mostly honey and a bit of cinnamon.

On my skin, this is predominantly herby patchouli and a small amount of honey. It doesn't really morph a lot from wet to dry. I can't smell any vanilla, and I have to really go looking for the cinnamon. This patchouli is very "green," fresher than what I'm used to from patchouli, very woody. This may the first time I ever really thought about patchouli being a member of the mint family, because here in this blend I can kind of see it. The honey is firmly in the background, which is kind of a bummer because I love honey. On the other hand, I always figured this might be one to age. It's wearable now, but I'm curious what it might be like in a few months or a year.

ETA: This is so much better after even just 5 months of aging. The patchouli has calmed down some and has matured out of its terrible twos. The overall effect is really well blended--it's spicy vanilla-y honey-y patchouli goodness, with no one note dominating, and like some others have mentioned, snuggly. I think the patch just needed time to develop.

Edited by lady_pandora

First of all, I already knew that honey DOES NOT work on me, but I decided to give it a try because other notes sounded so goood (though patchouli can go both ways.)

In the bottle: Mostly honey and patchouli. I also smell something sweet yet fresh, but I have no idea what it is. It does not smell like vanilla for me. Forgive me and my untrained nose.

Wet: Well, honey fades a bit for a moment and instead it smells like smoke. I get dustiness (like in a rundown, abandoned house), smoke and a hint of honey. I rather like the smokiness even though it reminds me of tobacco which I usually don't like. But where's my dearest vanilla?

Dry: Mostly honey, which I still don't like (sob) and earthy smell of patchouli. And... Vanilla? Is that really you, my love? Please, stop hiding and come play with me!

After an hour: Honey. That damned honey which I want to love but my skin forbids it. Also a hint of dustiness/smokiness, but it's already fading quickly.

Verdict:

At first the scent is strong, but loses its throw surprisingly quickly. I did not smell cinnamon at all (again, sob. I love me some cinnamon.) Honey lingers on my skin for about 20 hours though, but you have to bring your nose really close.

Because of my stupid, honey-hating skin it's not really my kind of scent, and also the lack of vanilla and cinnamon is a huge bummer.

Edited by Marrasuhri

I'm going to say it. This is Banshee Beat Lite. I get all patchouli, all the time, but it is slightly tempered by the sweetness of the vanilla and honey, which are not major players, they are just there in the background. The vanilla and honey just serve to take the "dirty" sort of edge off the patch for me, making this utterly amazing, perfect patchouli. I don't get the cinnamon at all. It's ok, because since I've slathered it my nose has not left my arm. I'm addicted. This is the good stuff.

Edited by Sammylynn929