Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Glistening red apple and a drift of dark, smoky black copal, saffron, galbanum, sweet orange rind, and myrrh.

This is very much like black apple however the sweet orange rind and saffron pop up and make it a totally different scent. It's dark but sparkling.

Y'all need this one. It's like an apple got dressed all sexy like and wanted to paint the town red. It's a bright red apple on my skin but other wise it warms to a bright apple with whispers of myrrh and purring sensuality of copal. I love this scent. SO GOOD. I liked it better than the Lips of Flame Scent hands down.

In The Bottle: Compelling! The apple hits my nose before the bottle is even up to my face.The copal and saffron combine to make it, at this stage, a glorious adult candy apple.

Wet On Skin: The sophisticated candy apple vibe continues, getting richer, deeper and sweeter than in the bottle. This is NOT the crisp apple of Snow Glass Apples. This is like biting into an apple covered not just in caramel, but in…whiskey caramel. Or…rum caramel. Something not kid-like, but still delicious.

Dry Down: This is not a morphing scent. It has stayed relatively true from bottle to dry down. At this point, the only thing that has changed is that it's softened a little around the edges.

In All: Low throw, but because of the sweetness, I wouldn't just slather it on, either. This has stayed what I originally surmised from it: a mature, adults-only candy apple.

First: I have a real hard time with copal. I was hoping that black copal would perhaps not so closely resemble a particular flea shampoo on me, but I WAS MISTAKEN. So, with that in mind, here is my review.

This would be freaking amazing on someone who is not me. The apple is warm and sweet, the galbanum and orange are a complex and delicious undertone (if you're scared of galbanum because it's weird and green, nah, don't be. It's a very small part of the scent. Miniscule, even.) There's some myrrh being all...myrrhine or something. It's a little sexy and a little foodie-ish, and will probably remind a few people of candles, because it's that kind of fragrance. But on me, all these things fade under this intense tidal wave of copal, which we have established is not a great note for me. I have got to stop buying things with copal, even if all the rest of it looks great. I found it to be annoyingly long lasting, with a very apple-y throw that was juuuuust nice enough to make me want to sniff my wrist, only to pull back with a nose wrinkle. It held up under me attempting to wash it off twice. I could sort of feel it laughing at me.

So yeah. Fruity, resinous, sweet. Copal. ._.

This is a gorgeous, grown up apple scent. On my skin, it's not super sweet, other than from the apple. A natural sweetness, not a candy-ish sweetness. Wet, the apple is at the forefront, with the resiny smokiness in the background. As it dries, the apple recedes a little bit, and allows the darkness of the other notes to come forward a little - oh, the apple doesn't fade, it's still there, but the copal, myrrh, and saffron are more noticeable. The apple becomes more of a supporting note in a very sophisticated scent....

Completely dry, it is so well blended and hard to pick out any individual notes, I get more of a smokey apple haze impression. :D I think the orange is keeping the apple there - I keep thinking I can't pick it out, and when I sniff again, I think I can.

I love this, so much.

In the bottle: Red apple and smoky black copal.

Wet: I do get the 'glistening' aspect of this red apple note, which is currently the dominant note, with the smoky copal note and the other resins lingering in the background. I thought the resins would overtake the apple and make this blend too dark for me, but that hasn't been the case thus far. Sometimes myrrh goes sharp and masculine on me, but it doesn't seem to be a problem here.

Dry: The smoky copal note dominates, followed by apple, a bit of orange rind and the lovely saffron note.

Verdict: Definitely keeping my partial.

I can see why this one is SO popular. On wet, I got a giant hit of glistening red apple, and now that its had time to dry the other elements come out to play and I get a ton of smoky copal, hints of saffron and orange. At the very bottom, I think I get some of myrrh's more resinous presence.

Red apples, smoke, and resin. And yes, it makes me think of gas lamps!

I'm pretty torn on this. Part of me really enjoys it, and the other part of me doesn't think I'd actually wear it. But if you're into Victorian/Steampunk inspired blends, GET THIS NOW.

This was a decant purchased from a wonderful forumite. :wub3:

As soon as I took the cap off the imp, I smelled a bold rush of apple. At first, in the vial, it smelled a lot like the apple note that I think is in both Poisoned Apple and Fearful Pleasure. Once I put it on my skin, it changed a little and now I don't think it's exactly the same note--this one's more tart. It begins to dry down and at first it's apple apple apple, and then the orange rind comes out and tarts it up a little more.

And then, mmmm. The incense note. It reminds me of frankincense but I think it must be the copal, with which I'm not really familiar. Orange rind is mostly gone, but the apple hangs around, softened by this lovely sweet golden glowy incense note. There's a little smokiness to it too. This is really lovely. A golden glow with smoke seems just right to evoke a gaslamp.

It's kind of faint on me--but then I was trying Die Sunde, vom Tod verfolgt earlier, and the latter was throwing like a mofo, so maybe this just seems faint by comparison. But when I sniff my wrist, it's just glorious.

I'm not sure if I'm going to need to hunt down more of this. It's kind of a paradox. On the one hand, I love Gas Lamps' Flare because I love smoky apple blends. On the other hand, precisely because I love smoky apple blends, I have a few already, at least one of which is easier to come by. I'm thrilled to have this imp, though.

Edited by lady_pandora

In imp: smoky apple!! So beautiful...I hope it applies well

Wet: smoky apple, so pretty and sexy on a cold day!

Dry: just dark, smoky copal and galbanum...the apple goes away...which makes me sad....

Edited by Jangzonrice

Red apple indeed! And now I want one, but a good one, like this one smells like. I get smoke in the background. Kind of like you're in an ape orchard in the fall with a bonfire going on. This is nice, but I'm not big on apple blends. They remind me of hair products. Evocative though!

I've just tested 3 apple scents, and this is the first one that doesn't turn candy-sweet and unpleasant.

For some reason apple amps on my skin extremely, and hides everything else, but I'm hoping that changes(maybe) because the other notes sound wonderful.

definitely red apple!

it's really nice - sweet and juicy apple

maybe some copal underneath? the apple really dominates

I don't have great luck with the lab's apple scents. Even with all of the lovely resin notes, this just winds up smelling like a sweet, red candy apple scented shampoo on my skin. No incense. Just artificial, sweet apple with a soapy edge to it.

The Gas Lamps' Flare starts out with a BIG, juicy red apple note, with some dark smoky resinous/incense notes underneath. The super juicy apple fades pretty quickly and I am left with a soft, sweet apple scent. I wish my skin didn't totally eat it because otherwise this would be really nice.