Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Eve's Big Apple Hair Gloss - Red Apple

Red apple, blackened honey, and opoponax.

This is just incredibly gorgeous. The red apple is dark and very apple-y and it's just slathered in honey. It's the deep dark apple of only certain apple pies, with something, I imagine it's the opoponax, that makes it more of a fragrance than something edible.

I'm so grateful to OctoberGwen for being my NYCC fairy and picking this up for me! This is a very well-blended scent, and although the red apple is present, it's not overwhelming nor is it one of those artificial apple scents you get in some shampoos. The honey and opoponax darken and sweeten it, but I also wouldn't call this foody or a fruity scent. This hair gloss isn't as strongly scented as some of the glosses I have, so it would be perfect for work or for those who like their glosses a bit more toned down. I am loving this as an autumnal scent- it's exactly what I was hoping for to complement my perfumes such as Lamb's Wool, Fearful Pleasure, and Autumn Cider. :wub2:

Initially you get a big blast of juicy red apple, which is heaven in a bottle. The other notes definitely add a rich dark and sweetness to it, without being overly cloying. I agree it's a bit on the lighter side, but it did stick around with me for a good while. I hopped in the shower the next morning and when the hot water hit my hair I was instantly surrounded by a yummy sweet cloud of apple goodness.

Cold sniff: All the notes. :)

On the hair: Can still detect all the notes, but on my long, dry, colored hair, this gloss sinks right into the hair stands. It's subtle, but the honey and apple are the most obvious notes as it dries.

I love this stuff! It is like a bad apple, the kind that is still delicious, but sings it's own tune. Haha, not making much sense. I like the resins here, it makes the apple less shampoo-like. I wish I picked up the resins more after the gloss hits my hair, but oh well. This is still nice! I'll probably bring it out in the late summer/early fall.

I like the scent of this in the bottle and when first applied. I'm not sure how to explain it but I can really tell that it's a RED apple, distinct from the green or more general apple, and the honey and resin give it a nice dark, sweet complexity. However, after I wore it for about half an hour, it started to turn on me and ended up smelling like a rotten apple. I'm not sure what caused it, and I plan to give it one more go before I re-home it, but I had to wash it out because I smelled gross- kind of overly sweet and moldy. I've never had a hair gloss react like that. They usually smell pretty much like they do in the bottle, so I'm not sure what's up. Maybe it reacted to my shampoo or conditioner?

Ooh!! Love!!

In decant, a blast of a juicy, red apple! On my damp hair, the apple stays sweet and true. I am guessing the honey helps with that. It has a little edge to it, but to me, not as much as the Green Apple one. The scent on this one is softer to me as well. I think this is a perfect spring/summer hair gloss. Just like the green one!! BOTH winners!

Update: This ended up having medium throw, but LASTING power! I smell it on my hair a good 24 hours later. LOVE this one!

Edited by Numanoid

Perfumey red apple (definitely a red apple smell) with a hint of honey. Oddly enough, this one has huge throw on me, but relatively low wear length. I think after about an hour I couldn't really smell it anymore and I applied the usual amount. Even Dorian seems to have more lasting power in my hair.

But yes, red apples for your hair.

I picked this up at NYCC and every time I wear it, I'm amazed at how true the red apple note is. In my hair, it's pure red apple, plus some sweetness and an underpinning of resin. When I was a kid, the place my mom took me to get my hair cut had an apple shampoo, and the smell of this hair gloss takes me back to being eight years old and the smell of my hair swinging into my face after a haircut. Whenever I wear this, it just makes me happy...and the apple here is gorgeous. I would never have thought I'd want to smell like apples all day, but some days, I absolutely do. :)

I was a little afraid of the blackened honey in this but it's just a lovely sweet red apple. There's a bit of a green bite when first applied (the poisoned apple aspect?) but that disappears & I'm left with a very realistic apple scent. Light throw (but I can still smell it) & that means I can wear it to work! I can see using this year-round.

Received this as a gift.

When i was a child i used to dip apple slices into raw honey. This is what this smells like plus the oppoponax that adds a slight woody/resin note. Delicious!

As I've stated before Apple is one of my all time favourite smells!

In the bottle I smell a mixture of juicy wet apple and strawberries (bonus as strawberry is another favourite!!)

In my hair it's amplified honey, apple and strawberry. Sweet sweet juicy and fresh. LOVE!

This. This is the best hair gloss. If the trading post ever tops this I may just swoon so hard I'm unable to review it. When I ordered it I wasn't even really aware it had opoponax in it--I read "red apple and blackened vanilla" and was already sold. In the meantime opoponax became one of my top five favorite notes, and I saw someone mention this gloss somewhere on the forums, so when it came and had opoponax I was beyond thrilled. I'm still beyond thrilled.

It starts out with a super-ripe red apple, and thick, sweet honey. At first the opoponax sort of blends with the honey, but over time it makes its presence known separately and turns into the dark, sweet, resinous note I adore. The honey is pretty constant throughout the wear, and the apple sticks around for a shockingly long time. This gloss also has incredible throw; some HGs I can't really smell when I'm just sitting there, because I have very short (like, ear-length) hair. This one I can, even when I'm not moving or actively trying to get a whiff. I'm very glad of that, because all the whiffs I get are incredible. If I can track down an extra bottle I may have to stock up!