Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fishwomon

Recs for those who can't do sweet perfumes?

Saturnalia was one i would have.. er no, okay, still do describe as "Plummy". Smells to me like plum tree, and plum fruit, without the post-fallen-fruit rotting sweetness. So i wanted to recommend it as a fruity, juicy scent without the sugar sweetening or 'made into jelly' effect.

then i look it up and see that it's really simple; violets, vetiver.

It's a floral, though very un-flowery. And aaaaah, vetiver, *that* is what always smells like peanut to me in the vials of things that have it! The peanut effect is gone pretty quickly on the skin, and there's just this really nifty heavy violet smell afterward. >_> :P i still think it's fruity. :D

ah, and i'd second Bewitched - SUPERfruit. and Tintagel for juicy fruity spice without sweet. Nemesis also, fig roundness and patchouli, very nice.

Edited by Unseelie

Of course "sweet" scents are in the nose of the beholder, but I'm wearing Unseelie right now and on me it smells very spicy, even a little bit like Opium perfume. Have you also tried Envy? I didn't get any sweetness at all from it, just herbs and lavender.

I haven't tried Nocturne, Shattered, or Sea of Glass yet (still waiting on the order), but those sound like ones you might want to try, too.

Oooh. I just got freebies of Jester...

"Huckleberry and red currant with the incisive bite of neroli."

all i have to say is Mmmmmmmm!

Allow me to second the nomination of Imp. It is delicious, and not really very sweet.

Thanks to everyone. Ironically, I think I am going to go with Lampades after trying some other ones. I like the cherry in Red Queen and the strawberry in Bon Vivant, which totally goes against my type, which is more Djinn or Kostnice-y.

:P

Well I'm not a BPAL virgin, but I've only made/received one order so far and I'm struggling to plan my next. Last time I tried to get scents for both myself and my boyfriend and when I got the order I ended up loving more of my freebie scents than the ones I picked out myself. For him to try, I ordered Lear, Dijinn, Antony, Azazel and Nero. He thought Antony was only okay and he really liked Azazel (of course, the only one that's discontinued! :P ), but the others were downright offensive on him (I think it's the wood notes that turn sharp on his skin). He used up the imp of Azazel pretty quickly and has now reverted back to his favorite cologne Tova Handsome. So, I'm trying again and I'm hoping to have a better success rate this time. Tova Handsome has "soft green notes with citrus fuits and lower notes of tobacco, oakmoss and vanilla" and on him the vanilla and citrus seem to stand out for me. He also wears Acqua Di Gio when we go out (evening scent) which has "citrus notes, rosemary spiciness, and jasmine with a hint of wood and ocean breezes". I'm not looking for replicas of those, but I'd like to find some scents with the same feelings as those two scents, but with that BPAL twist. Also anything that is similar to Azazel would obviously work. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! ~Miranda

Mine loves Vicomte Valmont...and it's down right killer on him. I know others love Villian...but vote is definately VV.

Miranda

I'm really tempted to recommend Oberon, but only if he applies it lightly. It's a very potent scent, but once it mellows out, it is to die for.

Also, try giving Zephyr a try.

Voodoo would be a good one to experiment with...it's got citrus and vanilla, along with some spicy and earthy scents....

And two others that seem promising: Nero (which may be similar to Azazel), and Arcana

I'll second Vicomte de Valmont. I think it's a good scent for a male new to BPAL. He might also like Wilde.

I looove Villain on my BF, it smells very sexy and masculine on him :P I also love Scarecrow on him, this to me smells more traditional "cologne-y" than Villain, but smells great all the same :D

Vicomte and Villian sound like good choices..

I'm actually wearing/smelling Morocco for the first time, and I actually get a tobacco/vanilla vibe from it, even though there's none of either of those listed in it. hehe. it doesn't have the citrus thing, but it might be worth a shot. :P

I definitley get a vanilla thing with Morocco and so does my mother. Hm? *shrugs*

Vicomte and Villian sound like good choices..

I'm actually wearing/smelling Morocco for the first time, and I actually get a tobacco/vanilla vibe from it, even though there's none of either of those listed in it. hehe. it doesn't have the citrus thing, but it might be worth a shot. :P

I'm not a big fan of lavender, so I have some recommendations for lavender free masculine scents:

I have to recommend Hellfire... it smells so warm and rich, without being foody or feminine at all. It somehow manages to be sexy and comforting at the same time.

You might also want to look into Severin for something unique but subtle (leather and earl grey tea).

Antony might be a good pick if you want a masculine resin scent.

Lear sounds good if you want an herbal, fresh masculine scent.

Whitechapel might be the way to go if you want a masculine citrus scent.

Jolly Roger is great if you want a masculine aquatic scent (ocean and leather).

Highwayman

It's spicey and smokey... I can see it as more of a scent for a "badass" or at least a guy being a badass for the night. =)

I wanna eat my boy when he's wearing Dracul.

(Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom)

The Orange blossom is prominent on his skin but all the other stuff make it a sexy as hell blend. And no it doesn't smell like cumin to me at all :P

A lot of people like Morocco as a man's scent. I wear it myself, but I can definitely see it on a guy.

Oh and Villian smells like a clean shaven man to me, so it's a good one too.

Edited by Rheliwen

Hi.

I am a newbie preparing to make my first order (I'm so excited!!) and so far I've got this on my list:

5ml

Saturnalia

Black forest

Van Van

Velvet

Bloodlust

Dragon Milk

10ml

The Moon

The Chariot

Suddenly my son wanders over and asks if I can get him some good smellies too.

I don't mind getting a few more bottles (who would) but what to choose? He is 13, really in to sports, tall and gangly with a big mane of unruly hair, very outgoing and playful, but still...very much a child. He doesn't like fruity scents that much, but I am thinking a vanilla might be good. he doesn't share my love for patchouli, but he does like sandalwood. The scents would probably be used after his bath, which he usually takes before dinner, so I really don't want an energizing scent or a real heavy scent. Any ideas? Would O be too much? He really likes dragons and anime (we live in Japan, so I guess that is a given) so maybe he might like my Dragon's Milk, or would that be to much for a kid? How about The Lion to match his mane and warm personality? I am clueless.

Personally, I don't think O or Dragon's Milk when I think 13 year old boy.. Dragon's milk was very sweet on me, at least.. but maybe on others it's not. I haven't tried it, but if he likes Sandalwood, perhaps Dragon's Bone might be a better option?

The Lion does sound like it might be good.. White Rabbit might actually be as well.

Other random one that just sounded good: Zephyr (I guess it's light, clean, and has sandalwood)

My husband says that Dragon's Milk smells like baby powder. I like to put a touch of it on the tops of my girls' heads (they are babies)--might be too feminine for his tastes.

Hmm...Velvet might be good for him.

I'm trying to think of some non-sexy scents...no reason to make him grow up too fast...

Hemlock--piney

Whitechapel--clean

Scarecrow

Dragon's Bone

Jack

Golden Priapus

Severin (although you might not want to explain that one!)

Bayou

Machu Picchu

I know, I know...what was I thinking? "O" for my 13 year old son? Dragon's Bone might be good. It was on my short list of scents for me to try, and it has a "cool" name. Now for the other bottle.... I guess I'd better check out all of your recomendations. Thanks!

My son has adopted June Gloom as his own. But it has quite a lemony scent, so that might not be the best thing before bed. I haven't tried Dragon's Bone, but it's the first one that popped into my head, too.

Wow our kids are lucky. When I was little I had Love's Baby Soft. Or Exclamation. :P

Dragon's Bone would be my recommendation in the draconis blends. But dragon's blood is also in Red Devil and Wrath. Both of which are more spicey, masculine scents.

Why don't you set up an imp pack for him and let him sniff a bunch?

Other recs:

Villain

Jolly Roger (tart, not fruity)

Snake Oil is billed as masculine and that has a ton of vanilla goodness

Dracul is all dark musk and orange blossom, so maybe a bit too heavy for your request.

I agree with the Dragon's Bone recommendation. I think Dragon's Heart is also very nurturing. Tintagel and Blood Amber are also warm.

It is rather new, but I can't help but suggest Saint-Germain

It's a favorite of mine, a good male scent, but not overwhelming.

Do try.

If you need an imp I'll decant. PM me.

Thank you so much, everyone. Unfortunately, decision making is not one of my strengths. In fact, I've already started planning my next order, this one with more herb and green scents in prep for spring, while checking out your recommendations. But spring is not for a while, so I have also been planning an early February order. And I haven't even placed this order yet!

So...

one bottle of Dragon's Bone, and for the second, a short list of these:

The Lion

Golden Priapus

Jolly Roger

and what's this? Blood Amber? That sounds yummy.

Also, has anyone tried Coyote? And finally, would Saint-Germain bother someone who has a tendancy to get headaches from lavender? My son likes lavender, but I am a little wary of it. I suppose since it would be for him it shouldn't matter, but I was sort of hoping we could share.

I noticed my partner looking over my shoulder while I was checking out more scents on the web site. He doesn't read English so well, but if I explain them all to him, maybe he would like a few also. More scents to share!