Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sagitare

Marie

Marie: A blend of sinuous violet and elegant tea rose: the chosen scent of France's Demigoddess of Debauch: Marie Antoinette.

first sniff: Violet, with rose just underneath.

wet: Sweetness from both the violets and the rose. The notes are so well chosen that they blend together. You can't tell the moment when they switch places, or back again.

dry: It softens down, but the effect is still the same - violet and rose entertwined.

My husband loves this. "It smells like Spring!" is his opinion. (And he's been lingering around me most of the day.)

Definitely a big bottle for me. :P

[edited to add Lab description]

Edited by Haruka

This is such a gorgeous scent! Unfortunately it makes me sick, horrible headache. I don't know weather it is the violet or the rose, but I am thinking the rose because London makes me kind of sick as well. I love the smell, I simply can't wear it. What a shame. For those of you who probably wouldn't get sick, try this. Especially if you like florals this is a great one. Kind of dark and strong, so a little goes a long way.Very fresh smelling, unlike many florals. Glamorous, it smells like the Marie Antoinette movie looked.

Imp: Rose with something more. Something green.

Wet: Uh-oh... Is this Zombi?? :P

Dry: I'm beginning to think that I'm actually more particular about my roses than I thought I was... This rose is very strong, almost fruity. It seems to be the same rose that goes off on me in Zombi (in combination with the dirt), and that I can take only when I apply Rose Red with a very light hand.

Hm. I can see this has potential, but it doesn't seem to like me much. :D I also wish the violet was more noticable.

Phooey!

Marie Antoinette is one my heros so I of course had to try out her scent. This is beautiful. When I first opened the imp, I knew immediately that I want a bottle of it. The violet and rose compliment each other perfectly and this truly is a purple, satiny, swirly scent that captures the essence of Marie. I've had it on for about 10 minutes and the violet and rose just keep changing and intertwining with eachother. A genius scent.

First imp-ression(sorry, couldn't resist) :

I hate this. :P It's too green, too sharp and almost metallic. I, of course, tried it on anyway. I'm no coward. And at first it smell exactly the same on my skin. Devastation...

But wait. What's this? After about a minute, something interesting begins to happen. Where the scent was sharp and abrasive,it's now crisp,fresh,and sneakily sweet beneath it all.

While this is not what I expected(excessively sweet and girly), I do believe I'm being seduced. It's a bit daring,and surprisingly complex for a two-note scent. I can't wait to see what happens in an hour or two. I may have to hold on to this imp. :D

This is gorgeous. More violet than rose but definitely not all violet.

Unfortunately, after a glorious 15 minutes it subsides and lies so close to my skin that I have to put my wrist right next to my nose to smell any of it. Too subtle for me, I think.

Ok, I'm going to have to restrain myself in order to do this review professionally: In the bottle I smell some sort of unidentifiable floral. On, it immediately becomes a gorgeous soft, non-soapy rose with a *touch* of rich violet. After a while it dries down to a rich violet with a *touch* of sweet, non-soapy rose. Lovely.

NOW...how I REALLY feel about Marie....

NOSEGASM!

NOSEGASM!

NOSEGASM!

NOSEGASM!

:D :D

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

:P :)

This is pre-revolutionary France, a very powdery-pastel and feminine scent which puts me in mind of sacque back dresses, tight stays and lace trimmed silks.

When wet, it's a fresh and flowery scent. When it dries down, something soft and powdery emerges, but I've never found it to be cloying.

It lasts well, but not as well as some, and sometimes has to be reapplied after a few hours.

I usually dislike things that have the same name as me, but this is a big exception. When I wear this, I go around with my nose stuck to my wrist, it's gorgeous.

My favorite of the scents I've tried so far.

Very floral and perfectly feminine, whoever said it smells like spring is so right!

I smelled violet straight out of the bottle (I'm assuming it was violet because it was not rose)

But once on my skin I really alternated between violet and rose which is great, I keep sniffing myself to see which I get.

I'll definitely order a bottle of this. It's perfect for me.

marie is not my usual type of scent; i hardly ever like singular or dualistic scents like this (what can i say, i like complication). however, i love violet and i do like roses. with marie, violet is at front and center, which is perfect for me. however, the rose can be picked out upon concentration and i suppose it makes the violet less "sharp." it reminds me of my favorite violet candy. this is certainly a very feminine scent and perfect for dressing up. on me, marie keeps going and going and going. but perhaps that's just my happy relationship with violet speaking. not something i'd wear daily, but maybe at my next...garden party :P for rare occasions!

this smells like a pleasant, ladylike soap. the violet is a lot nicer than i expected. it is sweet and soapy... clean-smelling. i can't pull it off, but it's nice.

This smells exactly like my old Victoria's Secret Violet Rose lotion! I loved that stuff, and I've been looking for something similar for ages. Marie is it! It's wonderfully flowery, and the violet balances out my skin's tendency to bring out the rose notes in any scent. It's one of tne of the most feminine BPAL scents I've tried, but it's still mature, not girly.

I'm hoarding this one :P

OH MY GOD, I LOVE THIS!

When I first smelled it in the imp, I had a strange reaction: I instantly thought "Champagne!" I think it reminds me of the time I made rose syrup and we used it so make champagne cocktails (delicious thing to do with your roses, by the way).

I put it on and spent all day smelling my wrists. It's bright, playful, and I find it very flirty. It's sweet but fresh and alive. By the end of the day, the violet became the more dominant note, and it gave it a very rich tone. After a long day, it had richened to an almost chocolate-y smell. Amazing!

I got this in a big surprise imp pack from TarotbyDiana, and I loved this one so much that I almost don't want to test out any of the others. Marie is what I want to smell like all the time!

Needless to say, this is slated to be one of my first big bottles.

In the bottle: soft florals, violets and roses in antique porcelain vase.

Wet: soft true tea rose. I smell exactly like I buried my nose in a blossom of "Our Lady of Guadalupe" tea rose. Soft pink rose. The violet is really understated and gives this a nice undertone.

Dry down: soft tea rose. No baby powder, no old lady. Not that cheap awful tea rose perfume that you can get at the chemists. It smells just like I have a real blossom stuck to my wrist. A wrist corsage of pink tea rose and some violets. Beth you are incredible. :D

30 minutes: real pink tea rose.

Conclusion: read my other reviews and you will realize I have a real aversion to florals. But thanks to Beth and the labbies, I now have learned to embrace some florals. This one is true pink tea rose. The violet does not make itself known up front but is content to hang in the shadows supporting her sister. This is utterly femm, totally lovely. I wore this to do ritual for the Blue Moon last night. I felt beautiful and ethereal wearing this while drawing down the moon. This is yet another floral I can wear. Thanks Beth! :P

Rating 1-5: On my skin this is a 4.

edited due to my doofy spelling.

Edited by atropos

At first this one was ALL violet to me. Barely any rose at all. This one smells a bit soapy on me. It reminds me of the violet bubble bar from Lush (what was it... Bathos?) and it was one I didn't like. Unfortunately this scent is one I feel like washing off.

Edited by MissNightshade

Bottle: roses is all I can smell from the imp. Maybe a bit of an aquatic background but the rose is overwhelming.

Self wet: not so good, soapy roses layered with this sweeteness that is icky. In fact within minutes the rose goes away and its just soapy. Nice clean smell, but not what I’d want in perfume at all. Re-applied to see if gets better on chest versus wrists.

Later: not really. Rose and soap, soap and rose. No violet ever peeps its head in for me in this scent. It just morphs back and forth.

Next day: rose scented soap. The roses really came back and a good throw for the next morning. Still, so soapy.

Overall: nope, this is very much not a me scent as interesting as the historical figure it is named for is.

Wet this is sweet roses and violets. When first on this is dewy pale pink roses with a breath of violet. It has the same watery and translucent qualities of Moon Rose. After several minutes the violet becomes a little stronger. It doesn't change much more. This is a very pretty, feminine floral. The perfect balance of rose and violet. This would be a good substitute for Hope and Faith. Lovely!

I had high hopes for Marie but unfortunately this oil turns very soapy on my skin and it is sooo pretty in the imp, booh :P

In the Imp: Sweet greenery. Pleasant but leaves me a little timid.

Wet on skin: Wow. I normally hate green and floral notes but this blends into something really beautiful.

Dry on skin: This dries into something utterly feminine and gorgeous. It makes me feel completely elegant and regal with naughtiness hiding under the surface.

:P Amazing!

My jotted, handwritten notes: "sweet, Victorian-smelling, violet-rose."

In the bottle: ladylike and refined, expensive (in that Baroque way). Having been to Versailles recently, it made perfect sense. Strong, sweet, balanced blend of tea rose* and violet.

*I can usually wear red rose oil better than tea or tudor roses, so.. here goes?

Dry: damn. I had high hopes at first. Violet came to the fore, and LORD does she go soapy on me. Tea rose just isn't enough to balance that.

Overall: I think I'd really enjoy this one someone whose chemistry didn't mess it up! It expresses the luxury of spoilt royalty, a childlike queen so encapsulated in the court that she'd have no reason to know the country beyond its walls was dying. I can just see an ornate, antique French perfume bottle filled with this.

In the Imp: Whoa, Violet!

Wet on skin: Violets and rose against a soft, almost baby-powder-like note.

Dry on skin: Aaaaannnnd it goes soapy on me. :/ Darn. So many people liked it, I was hoping it would work out. It's a great rose scent, though, just not for me.

This smelled of powdery floral on me. Very rosey, but I didn't like the way the violets went on my skin. A little too much like someones grandma for my taste.

In the imp: only a sniff of violet. The rest is that rose note—I guess it’s tea rose, then—that so often goes to soap on me.

On the wrist: The rose dominates heavily.

Half an hour: Right wrist has gone to my nemesis, Dove soap. The left wrist, however, has got a lovely violet blend which is staving off the soap for now. It’s vaguely reminiscent of I think it’s Sybaris, only with not as much throw.

An hour: the violet is holding its own, but the dreaded soap is rearing its ugly head and putting a sour edge on it.

5/10. Not unpleasant, but nothing to distinguish it, and that damnable soapy aftershock.

Oh hello, Rose. This scent screams and demands attention; the dual notes overwhelm me, I'm afraid. I'm not particularly good with rose scents to begin with, and when this dried on my skin I felt a sickening in my stomach.

It's not a BAD scent, but it smells like it would be more appropriate for a formal event, or for someone looking for something ultra traditional. As the scent settles, it's less bold and out comes the violet.

It definitely smells like one of those scents that your grandmother might wear, but then again, that could just be the old-fashioned regality. I might wear this on occasion when I'm feeling a bit queenly, but otherwise this will stay in my jewelry box.