Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sagitare

Marie

A blend of sinuous violet and elegant tea rose: the chosen scent of France’s Demigoddess of Debauch: Marie Antoinette.

in vial: roses

wet: still roses.

dry: rose amps on me so loudly it is difficult for me to distinguish any other notes.

In the bottle: Mostly violet, and rose.

Wet: Apparently, my nose identifies the smell of violet very easily, and finds the rose a few minutes later. So far, it’s fresh and elegant, but a little bit soapy.

Dry: The first time I tried this one, in December, I thought it smelled like an old violet and rose potpourri (note: I had a cold and everything smelled the same). However, I can fully appreciate it today, and I have to admit Marie makes a nice transition from a sweet and fresh floral scent to a wicked violet.

Verdict: I’m growing fond of Marie, I might add it to my “maybe” list. It’s sensual, in a naughty way. On the other hand, if you don’t like violet, stay away from this one.

I tried Marie a while ago... it was one of my first imps! I still feel very "new" to BPAL but I feel like I all ready know so much more. Anyway, as it is due a review:

first sniff from imp: "...flowers." Just like that, a hesitant pause and dull delivery. I had been excited about it because I love the historical figure, but the initial sniff put me off.

Upon actually trying it on: GAG GAG GAG. Bitter and stinky! Man, I cannot even begin to describe my aversion. The violet (I have to assume, as few things have made me recoil this way w/out being related to a specific memory or allergy) is terribly off-putting. I tried it specifically to see if I had a sinus reaction to the rose after a reaction to Whip (later determined to be caused by the leather note), but fortunately I do not think that is the case - I think it was just gross. I was very happy to wash it off. The first BPAL I've tried that I've disliked this much. Danse Macabre may have smelled like a park bathroom to me, but I found that more interesting/tolerable than this. I may give it one more try before I swap it out, as things do something change on you, but I'm pretty sure this is just not for me.

Edited by starryeyedcrocodile

Would have never gotten this for myself (the dreaded rose!) but it was lagniappe from the Lab, so...

In the Imp: Cool, sweet, powdery-sharp violets and quietly refined rose. I really love the violets in this scent right now, not sure why. It's a pity this isn't going to work on me.

Wet: The violet turns kind of bitter and green-smelling. Not bad, really, but not good, either. The rose is a bit soapy, but not too horrible. The overall impression is very much a grandmother's-perfume one, though.

Not Quite Dry: Ugh. Distressingly refrigerated florals, unfriendly and brittle. This isn't so much offensive as vague and unpleasant, like an annoying mechanical buzz. Wash it off time, fo' shizzle. Guess I'm just not meant to get along with great ladies.

[edit] And, of course, on my roommate, this smells absolutely great. *hate* I wish it was that elegant and womanly on me!

Edited by WidgetAlley

In the imp - roses and violets. The rose is crisp and clean to my nose, and reminds me a little of rose Red (as opposed to London or Pride).

Wet - The rose scent throws on me well, a lot like rose red again, but the violets are strongly there as well, and they're a little bit bitter frankly.

Dry - This rose fades out quickly, leaving a blend of both that has not much throw at all. It's still an even mix of the two flowers, the violet has sweetened up however.

I had to wash my hands at work and the scent is 100% gone from one wrist even though I wasn't scrubbing. The other it's faint on and I put this on maybe an hour ago.

Rating - 4 out of 10

Violet is just a note that I can see only works on me a small portion of the time, I would rate this a 5 or a 6 but the quick fade out has me wishing I had another perfume with me at work and I haven't been here very long!

A bottle from e-bay, unknown age.

In the bottle: violets, with a hint of sweetness.

Wet: Violets, but not as strong as in the bottle. There's something a bit sharp in there too, but it's probably just the rose doing the usual "I'm evil, green and full of thorns, back away slowly!" dance it does on my skin. When it doesn't simply disappear.

Dry: Sweet, wonderful violets and nothing else. It's the first time the rose disappearing act has made me happy. I catch whiffs of violets everytime I move, like I've just rolled around in them. Very sexy.

Verdict: I'm very, very glad I bought a bottle of this unsniffed -roses and violets are my fav flowers- because I want to bathe in this. I'll have a hard time keeping my slathering tendencies under control.

1247050675_BkUTQ-Ti.jpg

It is well-known in my family that rose is my favorite scent, but violet is another , and when I saw that the Lab’s Marie was violet and rose, I figured it was a blend I would probably like.

Yay! I was right! The sweetly sad note of violet is uppermost, which is very appropriate for a scent named for the tragically executed Queen of France. The rose comes in only softly, and underneath the violet, and lends an extra sweetness to the mix. I wish the throw was a bit stronger, but with two such soft notes, that really isn’t very likely. This blend has a shorter length of stay than I would like, but it stays strong and true for a long time in my scent locket. :heart:

Edited by stellans

Wet: Violets, quite sharp. With another floral undercurrent, which I assume is the tea rose. There’s also a bit of a peppery scent on me. Definitely noticeable to the people around me, who seem to like it.

Dry: The pepper smell deepened, but then eventually faded. Sadness, I thought it was rather intriguing. At this point, the tea rose is predominant.

Wear Time: 5.5 + hours (on the collarbone)

Fits Description?: Well, I don’t see how it couldn’t. All things considered the smell actually reminds of the visuals in the recent Marie Antionette film.

Overall: Another nice floral. I really like the peppery scent mixed with violet. If I ever go floral, this would be a contender. Enough bite to it that it doesn’t seem overly old-fashioned or too womanly.

In the imp: Primarily violets-- like violet candies, but the tea rose is there in the background. Very sweet and femme. I quite like it at this point!

Wet: Mmmm.. This is a really lovely violet! Same violet from Violet Ray I think. Smell very fresh and bright!

Drying down: Rather quiet scent.. I really have to sniff hard to smell it. Or my sniffer is broken :lol: On me this does smell similar to Violet Ray, but less exotic.. However, it's lovely in it's own right and I'm amazed that shy little violet could stomp out ms. loudmouth rose for once!

I discovered this in my pile today while on my usual hunt for rose scents (I can't get enough rose. Rose rose rose, yum), and decided to give it a try. In the imp it is glorious -- a fresh, lush blend of violet and rose that made me eager to put it on. Wet, I got the same lush bouquet of violet and rose, very complementary, very tartly sweet.

On drydown, though, it became a bit flat on me, with a hint of something unflowery that I don't quite have the nose to describe aptly. That's only when I get close to my skin, however. The scent I catch in the air is still quite lovely and I have no real complaints.

I think in terms of rose/violet combinations, I prefer Agony of Longing, but this is enjoyable, and I can see myself wearing this again.

Overall, it's just tea rose and violet. From the imp, to drydown on my skin, it does't change. Sweet, light, feminine, and pretty. Nothing remarkable, but I'll definitely finish my imp for those days when I'm sick pf the heavy honey and amber scents, and Helena gets boring.

In the bottle: Sweet parma violets. Very candy-like and sweet. Lovely, but where's my rose?

Wet: Still the violet, but the flatmate says that the rose is underneath. Anxious sniffing proves her right; the sweetness of the violet is drowning out the rose for the most part.

Dry: Ah, there's my beloved rose! Very much a pink tea rose, luxurious and in bloom. It's a very feminine scent: it makes me think of a vanity with a bouquet of roses and a nosegay of violets resting alongside a silver-backed brush. The sweetness makes it girlish but not immature. On me, though, the violet and the rose seem to be . . almost too much in bloom? I love them both, but I think they might work better separately. This is a lovely scent, but a bit too much of good things.

This is lovely. Violet is sometimes harsh and sharp on my skin, but it is softened by the rose here. Methinks this could easily go the way of the old lady on some, but on me there is something bright and almost [pink] peppery about this floral.

Rose at first, then violet. Nothing special. Almost a little soapy, but overall.. Just violet and rose. Neither of which really do anything special for me. Not jarringly floral like others. A good, mild girly scent. Makes me think of summer dresses. On complete drydown, it is pure rose. Smells just like my witch hazel-rose toner. Meh.

STRAIGHT to soap on me. I usually quite like violet, but rose and I have had a pretty rough relationship. Sometimes we are true love, other times we can't stand each other. This is another rosefail on me.

Imp: Candied rose. Getting a bit of violet but it's a parma violet smell.

Wet: Whoa, violet! Lots of violet! How'd that happen? Usually rose is really strong on me.

Dry: Powdery violet and a light rose. Touch of greenery. Very pretty and delicate. Very, very feminine. It smells more like dusting powder than perfume. Reminds me of hot summer nights and patting on powder before going out (yes, I am probably the only person on the planet who puts on dusting powder to go to the club). It's just... pretty. It's not as haughty as I expected and it's also not particularly sensual. A light, lovely, balanced floral. Makes me feel girly.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I like it. I don't know if it's enough to warrant a bottle but it kind of makes me want to buy a cute nightgown and marabou trimmed slippers and swan around my bedroom singing showtunes.

First impression was VIOLET!! Sharp and bittersweet.

A few minutes later the rose started to come out, with an ever-so-slight powderiness. Still very sharp, almost sour. This isn't a gentle and demure rose, it's an aggressive and biting one, reminding me of the dangerous-feeling rose note in L'Artisan Parfumeur's Voleur de Roses. Finally a bit of sweetness emerges, but it's not a gentle sweetness, it's the sharp slightly bitter sweetness of candied flowers.

It's an interesting scent but I can't see myself wearing it much.

Sweet floral, heavy on the rose but a bit of violet peeks through. I'll stick with Hope and Faith, though the throw and staying power on this was pretty good.

if you love violets, this one is for you!! Smells like LUSH's Gratuitous Violets soap! I think it would smell good on an older woman, it's very floral and sophisticated. It has just a hint of rose in it. I think it would smell lovely on someone else, just not my style. 3/5.

ADDED Feb. 20:

too much violet for me! it's soft and pretty, just not for me. smells like LUSH's Bathos, if you like that, then this scent is definitely for you! :)

I love violet and rose usually. The rose in this gets a little pungent or sour on me though, it only does that in some blends, I don't know why. Other times it smells just fine, and the violet is lovely. They seem to switch back and forth rather than to really blend with each other. I'll have to test this a few more times, but I hope it works out because the violet note is great and really comes through.

In the imp: Sweet Violets!

Wet: Florals. Violet and FLOWERS.

Dry: Violets and leaves and a slightly frilly flower scent.

A while later: Violets, but made pinker - that would be the rose. A very soft and fluffy floral.

Guy review:

Rose, and violets. Both at the height of summer, balancing rather well in power. Overall feeling is majesty, walking the royal grounds, and you feel perfectly at ease.

I feel this is a necessary imp-keeper for the purity of it's scent, even for me.

Thanks bpal!

O

Sweet roses.

Another beautiful rose scent. There is something really sweet in the background...almost fruity. I'm not sure if that's how the violet mixes with this rose or not. I don't really smell the violet at all.

I found the scent very relaxing. I wore it to an acupunture appointment instead of lavendar and felt the same effects of relaxation, while also feeling very feminine.

There was a medium throw to this that stuck around for a few hours. After about 5 hours, however, I'd say it's mostly gone.