Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pale, stony ambergris with oudh, patchouli, white cedar, and ambrette seed.

This one is a little weird. Good, but weird. Once dry on the skin, it's a combination of slight cinnamon, sandalwood, and florals (my sense of smell is odd). Weird, because I'm usually allergic to cinnamon type scents, but this is nice and sweet. Also, I don't know why I'm getting cinnamon.

Gorgeous. I think I amp ambergris a little, which is fine because I adore it. So, ambergris is the main note for me. The other notes are so well blended that it's hard to pick them out, save for the cedar. I can distinguish it in the background. All together they create a really beautiful and soft aquatic with a hint of the woods.

Like Star Promenade, I find this one atmospheric. Love it!

shark tooth is so weird to me that at first i am wondering if my bottle is mislabeled?? the first thing i notice is a big blast of FRUITINESS! i pulled out my bottle of sn ambergris accord to compare but i don't really smell the ambergris in this.

dry, i am getting some sweetness and maybe a little wood, but nothing overtly cedar-y. there's no discernible patchouili. this is very odd and i am not entirely sure what i'm smelling!

The Ambergris is definitely the strongest player here on initial application. As it dries, The ambergris fades a little into the background. I am getting that "cinnamon" note that people are describing, only I don't read it as cinnamon (I think it's the cedar and ambrette seed making this happen). as it dries, it (surprisingly) has a similar yet less strong feel as Mopsfledermaus from the Bat's day scents a couple years back - and feels like it could be a distant cousin to Shub-Niggurath without the foody aspect (that cinnamon/ginger/musk is what I pick up)

Love this! so glad I got a bottle!

In Bottle: Ambergris dominant with strong oudh and softer cedar support. The patchouli and ambrette are distinct, but play well with others. Wet: The Ambrette is strong on my skin, moving into strong support of the ambergris accord. The oudh, cedar, and patchouli form a nice counter weight. The result is pleasant and much gentler than I expected. Dry: Mostly Cedar with some patchouli.

Patchouli, oudh, and amber. It's marine without being aquatic, cool without being watery or cold, and smooth.

Very gender neutral. Smells clean. I can imagine this appealing to those that like slightly masculine and/or gender neutral blends.

Shark tooth is one of the most beautifully odd scents that I have ever worn. I first tested the oil at the DragonCon booth. As a booth newbie, I was trying to test as many oils possible. Thank goodness for good friends with notebooks and pens at hand :) (and a truly good friend in that she did not photo document my insane level of excitement at the booth and getting to meet the wonderful people in charge of BPAL). But, back to Shark Tooth.

I was most excited to try Shark Tooth because a) I have a *thing* for sharks and B) Oudh. When I first put Shark tooth on, it was very light and clean. Not soapy, but crisp and refreshing. I decided to wander the booths a bit and let the twelve or so oils that I was testing at the moment to dry. While wandering, I started to smell something beyond delightful. Warm Oudh had softened and slightly sweetened Shark Tooth. When dry, the oil is still clean and fresh, but heavenly Oudh takes it to an amazing place. And while not an intense scent later on, I get beautiful whiffs more than 12 hours later.

Hand down, this is my favorite of this year's DragonCon Blends!

Heavy on the ambrette: sharp and a bit cinnamon-y. The oudh is doing that ashy thing I don't like. It reminds me of a less boozy, less sweet Ginny (The Reaper of Vengeance).

Overall this is making me a bit sneezy. Something of a clean scent but it's mostly dry cinnamon spice on me, and I'm not getting any patch or cedar. The ambergris is barely there on my skin which is a shame.

ambergris and patchouli. nice, but not my favorite. happy to have a decant

Edited by Jangzonrice

Somehow Shark Tooth doesn't smell anything like I expected it to. On first applying, it's got a clearly aquatic sort of bent, to the point where I'm almost afraid it's going to go the screamy-high white way of 'clean' scents on me, but then it magically doesn't do that. Instead it settles into an absolutely lovely mellow ambergris and oudh, with maybe a bit of pachouli sweetness. I get no cedar at all, which is amazing because I tend to amp it. I agree that this is somehow marine without being directly aquatic, although I couldn't say why. Clean, fresh, unisex, and surprisingly excellent.

At first, I'm getting something akin to the lab's champagne note and ambergris. Kind of like 7up made with sea water:) After a bit, the champagne note fades, and the ambergris is to the forefront. Now this is weird. Dry, it's like a toned down version of Snake Oil on me. I'm wondering if it the amber and patchouli making it seem that way to me. I really, really like this one, but really don't need it, as I have enough Snake Oil to last me a lifetime, and this one doesn't smell as strong to me anyways. Still, it is different enough that I will enjoy the rest of my decant. WIN!

For some reason this one really appealed to me even though the notes aren't ones I consider great on my skin (patchouli, oudh, cedar, I'm looking at you), but it was like my subconscious knew it would be great and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I picked this up from someone on FB and I'm glad I did! It's soft and clean and a little spicy and sort of aquatic. It's like nothing I've smelled before! I consider it to be gender neutral and fairly low throw. My subconscious was right, I like this very much and I'm glad to have it!