Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White patchouli, oudh, vanilla absolute, copaiba balsam, pepperwood, and champaca flower.

Disclaimer: I usually don't get along with patchouli. Only if it is blended REALLY well and hidden by other notes.

OH GAWD! Yucca Giant Skipper. WHAT was I THINKING? I was thinking that white patchouli might be softer and milder than other patchouli. Oops.

In the bottle PAAAAATCHOULIIIIIII! and something else. I read the notes, can't pick any of them out from behind the patchouli. Not much different on my skin. Might be swapping/selling this one away.

After about 15 minutes, the patchouli settles down a bit, but I still don't smell much else. I'll give it a week to rest and think about what it has done and then try it again.

Patchouli is definitely the dominant note in this blend. And I have an iffy relationship with patchouli.

In this case, I find the patchouli amps like crazy when wet, swirling around my head in an oily kind of cloud. Just as I think I have overdone it... Poof! The patch settles down and the other notes begin to emerge.

Dry, it is still patchouli dominant, but the pine-tinged balsam resin and slightly sour, rich, leathery Oude fence it in and hold it closer to the skin.

Vanilla absolute has a surprisingly woodsy character and, while I can't pick it out individually, likely smooths the raspier edges and helps everything blend.

I also can't pick out Champaca as a single note, which makes me a little sad as its a favorite. However, there's a kicky little exclamation point on the end, a little fruity and resinous, that could be Champaca.

I haven't a clue what pepperwood smells like, but there is a strong woody flavor to the whole blend and I wouldn't be surprised to find that the pepperwood adds a wee hint of sour oakyness.

Taken as a whole, this is an assertive, DARK scent that skews masculine. It smells EXPENSIVE and rich and calls to mind sweet, musky, well-worn suede and moon dappled, dry leaves on the forest floor.

This is perfection. Especially if you are a patchouli and vanilla lover like myself :hippie:

If you do not like patchouli you may still love this. I know sometimes patchouli can be all up in your face which some people do not love. This is more subtle, but still has amazing throw. The subtleness may come from the sweetness of the vanilla in the blend, taming the patchouli. The Oudh might contribute to that as well. I always seem to get a sweet and woodsy type of smell from Oudh. I think the beautiful woods of Pepperwood and the Copaiba Balsam mix in beautifully as does the hay type of scent that I pick up from the champaca flower. I knew from the notes in this perfume oil that I would adore it. I suspected it would have a woodsy, sweet scent. It is beautiful, just like a Yucca Giant-Skipper!!! :luv2:

I see that this is sold out on the page as of my review. I am on the fence about this one.

It definitely is a 'more acceptable' patchouli, in that I can tell there is patchouli in this but it's not a very potent, or pungent form. That's mostly what I smell with this wet on my skin. Throw is moderate, less than I expected. It goes sweet and towards an inobtrusive vanilla over several minutes. There's a touch of spiciness but it's not like a huge amount of pepper as in like a black pepper EO. It's truly a bit more dry, subtle. I don't get nearly as much champaca as Khajuraho (which is like, my favorite thing ever), but near very distant drydown this reads more like a deeper, vanilla-champaca. Still quite light.

I would say this is... comparable to Laughter of Loki, although LoL is a bit more leafy and to me more smooth. There's a little disconnect in the dark elements and light elements to me here, in that the scent is bouncing between the two for me. Mostly I get the vanilla-champaca a bit further away from my wrist, more even patchouli when closer. Strange. Although I may want to pick up a spare bottle, this would be a great cold weather or autumn scent.

I really love this. The patchouli is different from other Lab scents. I mainly got this because when I opened the bottle and sniffed I was immediately thinking "ooo, this reminds me of something...now what is it?" I put it down and went on to try other things, but something kept bringing me back. I finally realized what it is. When I was little we had a votive candle in our Halloween decorations that I associated with the season and witches...welp it was the light patchouli in it and this smells exactly the same. It brings back such great memories. If you give the patchouli a chance to settle down this is very lovely.

In my early bpal years I used to enjoy patchouli a lot, but lately it's just not smelling right with my chemistry. It either amps and steamrolls every other note in its path, or it just smells off on me. Luckily white patchouli seems to be good on me still, most of the time at least, depending on what it's paired with. It's strong in here, and very patchouli in that earthy way, but without the overwhelming sensation that dampens down everything else.

So first off it's patchouli and a peppery undertone. Earthy and a little smokey, a little dryly sweet. Not a vanilla sweetness, more like a sweet woodiness. Despite all the earthy and woody tones I don't get a brown feeling from this or anything warm. This feels cool to me, maybe from the smokiness... sort of grey or silvery. It's more perfumey than a close sitting musk type of fragrance too.

The vanilla is amazing in here. Not gourmand or sugary, just a smooth, boozy dark vanilla. Very aromatic and sexy. It's hard to pick it out since it's not very intense, it's more like an amazing backbone. I love it with the champaca, which always smells so soft and cashmere-like.

I can't imagine using this in a scent locket since I think it needs skin to really make it shine. But it's a beautiful fragrance, especially for Fall.

This is nice. I don’t what it is, maybe because I’ve tried so many of the Lab’s patchouli blends at this point, but it’s not bowling me over. If I had to compare it with something it actually reminds me a bit of another butterfly, White Peacock.

Here the patchouli is calm with a slightly sweet edge, where Peacock is more in your face with both the patch and vanilla. All, “LOOK AT ME, I’M BEAUTIFUL DAMMIT.” (Which I like when I want to feel pretty, oh so pretty. :P)

In contrast there’s almost something grassy/earthy here in Yucca… probably the balsam and oudh? I like the resins here, but I think I already have resin blends that out-resin it, and patch/vanilla blends that out-patch/vanilla it.

ITI: Leathery, woody patchouli. God this smells amazing. I never get tired of deep leathers OR Beth's patch, and this is promising both.

Wet: This is stunningly true to the ITI, which NEVER happens, but I am so thankful it is with this blend. Something in this makes me feel like a woody cousin of one of my favorites, Black Rider, and it very much has that same deep feel. But there is something stunningly clean and light here as well, cutting through the murk that can happen with patchouli. I can only assume it's the floral and the vanilla.

Drying: Something that I swear is hay is shining through the patchouli now. It's lost most of the deep leathery feel from the wet stage, but is still really spicy and rich. I think it must be the balsams and woods.

Dry: Yeah, this is very much a wood scent now that it's dried. This is really a crazy morpher on me, and while every stage is nice, it doesn't live up to the wet stage. For sure when I tested this I though I wanted a bottle, and now that it's dried down, I'm not so sure. I am very happy to have my imp though, and I know it will get use.

I thought "white patchouli" might be more subtle than other patchoulis, but alas, this ended up straight up patchouli single note on me, which is what happens with most patch blends :(

I suppose I can vaguely make out the vanilla when I know it's there, but not much else...

This was the Metamorphosis scent I was most excited for this year, and I think that it's beautiful <3. I wonder if this has batch variations, though, because it seems like a lot of the reviews say it's all patchouli, and my bottle is mostly vanilla. It actually reminds me of House of Matriarch's Coco Blanc, but better. It's a rich, thick, slightly buttery, almost coconutty vanilla smell to me, with an undertone of soft woods and smooth, dry, sweet patchouli. I'd buy a second bottle, but I'm too afraid of the batch variations.

Patchouli, pepper, and wood.

Totally loads of patchouli and wood, hints of pepper. And on me, the vanilla is MIA.

So, passing this on to someone that appreciates patchouli.

In the imp this is a ton of strong, woody patch. I love patch but it's a little bit much! It gentles pretty quickly on my skin, though, with the patchouli baacking off and the vanilla and champaca flower coming out to add some creaminess. As it dries, it takes on the qualities of a really good (in my opinion) chardonnay - oaky, buttery, creamy vanilla goodness. That's not to say it's at all winey, because it isn't. It's more like the patchouli has been aged in a good oak barrel.

When I first applied this I didn't think I'd want a bottle of it. I've got a number of lovely patch scents already, and this one was pretty strong. But the gorgeous drydown is making me reconsider that, particularly because I think it would smell sexy as hell on my beloved. :yum:

In the decant: The white patchouli is quite prominent (it is the same kind that is in The Laughter of Loki), and I think I am getting the pepperwood note from this as well. I am also getting the oudh and the champaca, and the combination of those two notes remind me of Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit (without the wonderful coffee bean note).

Wet: White patchouli and pepperwood. The oudh seems to be coming out more over time. I get a hint of the champaca.

Dry: Patchouli and peppery resins. If I press my nose right up to my skin, I detect a hint of the vanilla.

Verdict: This one was too patchouli and resin dominant for me, and the vanilla wasn't prominent enough to tame those notes on my skin. I am glad that I was able to try it, but I don't need a bottle.

In the imp: I'm pretty much getting patchouli here. I'm really hoping to get more of the vanilla absolute and champaca here

Wet on skin: Hmmm, I think the vanilla is coming through a little, softening the patch a bit.

Dried down: Vanilla-softened patchouli. I think I'm getting some of that champaca ethereality.

Throw: Light and pretty. I am getting some nice vanilla on the throw.

Verdict: **** I'm liking this more than I thought I would, especially considering how much patchouli I'm getting. I'm not against patchouli, but I do tend to shy away from it a little. I'm still hoping to get more vanilla and champaca out of this as it ages, but I'll definitely look forward to seeing what comes out. This is also making me itch to try out my tester bottle of Banshee Beat (courtesy of an awesome forumite <3)

ETA: Turning this into a *****. The longer this is on my skin, the more I love it.

Edited by Magycmyste

This definitely starts out strong on the patch, which is fine with me, because I love patchouli.

It definitely softens and lightens one the patch as the vanilla comes out and sweetens (slightly) the blend. The vanilla is definitely of the dry variety, and not overpowering at all. I'd say that this is really a nice vanilla/patch blend with a bit of smokiness from the oude and a bit of spicy from the pepper.

Normally champaca is not good on me, but this blend doesn't seem to emphasize the champaca at all. It there for sure, just lightly.

I agree with Balame though, I have blends that out patch it, and blends that out resin it, so I'll keep my decant for a bit, but I'm not going to get a bottle.

This is really strong on the patchouli when it's wet. I put it on and thought "meh." Then I went grocery shopping and kept getting whiffs of something lovely only to realize it was me! It settled into a woodsy vanilla with light patchouli that is just gorgeous. The woods are dominant on me but the vanilla sweetens it up. The patchouli is there and recognizable but it's very well blended and just evokes soft, cozy thoughts!

wet, this is a soft and gentle patch, a bit of vanilla and champaca. as the scent dries, these hunker down into the skin and the BALSAM comes out and gently flits around my aura. not over the top, not in your face, but popping in now and again for a soft fragrant hello over the next few hours.

I adore bpal balsam, so this scent makes me happy. it's soft and fuzzy like a little van/patch/champa butterfly body with fluttering balsam wings.

Edited by annemathematics

Wet: PATCHOULI!!! White patchouli is apparently still very strong and dominates the wet phase.

Dry: slightly calmer patchouli with a hint of vanilla sweetness and champaca. Later on, it's patchouli with pepper.

I do like it, but the first initial blast is strong...and I happen to like patchouli. I think some aging will mellow it out and make it really beautiful.

This is gorgeous. Dry woods sweetened very slightly by the white patchouli (which smells nothing like pogestemon cablin, aka true patchouli) and vanilla. I adore white patchouli! Im excited that note is getting more and more use...i thank Tom Ford... :-)

Edited by Herb Girl

starts off all oudh and patchouli. hmm, i was hoping for more vanilla and champaca, but oh well. i am definitely getting that pencil-shavings note from this...which can happen with BPAL's frankincense, sandalwood and patchouli notes. must be the patchouli or pepperwood if i had to guess. after a few minutes a woody sweetness comes through-maybe the copaiba balsam? gee i seem to be amping every note but the 2 i was most excited about. this scent is very earthy and woody, with a bit of dampness, and it's a bit too earthy for my tastes.

Edited by theseagrows

YUM. I will start by saying I absolutely adore patchouli. Just yum. It's like a forest of patchouli and balsam covered in vanilla beans. On the drydown, I must agree on the almost coconutty scent to this. This is a really gorgeous, fuzzy, comforting scent.

I was curious to see what white patchouli would smell like, so was looking forward to this one. It smells 'cleaner' if that make sense. Patchouli to me has a gritty edge, sometimes rough and dirty. This almost has a citrus twang to it. After a bit, less citrus, but still cleaner than regular patchouli. If Indonesian Red Patch smells less gritty than the black patch, this one smells less gritty than the red one. I think I get some vanilla in there too. I quite like this, and if I wasn't such a poor person, I may have sprung for a bottle, and this isn't a 'must have love', so it's no upgrade for YGS. :(

Was wondering how white patchoul differs from, uh, regular patchouli. Would it be softer? Nope. This is super strong! This could be mistaken for SN White Patchouli. Luckily, I love patchouli in all its forms. This is smooth, slightly waxy, nothing "dirty hippie" about it. If you dislike those dark earthy patchoulis, try this tamer version.

The sweet woodsy vanilla shows up after a couple minutes, and now I love it even more. Not sure what pepperwood or copaiba smell like, so they may also be contributing to the woodsiness I'm picking up. No champaca to be found. Reminds me of Tombstone at this point but sweeter, smoother. Perfection!

very white and airy/heady patchouli and champaca, a very nice blend at first. then Cloying sweetness, thick and syrupy, heavy on the patchouli

heavy on the patchouli with beautiful woods and touches of pepper. it's lighter and drier than i was expecting and i don't think it's very heavy at all. a really lovely scent!