Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

Temple of Dreams

For use when working with the many Gods of Sleep, Dreams, and Nightmares.

It started out with the lavender, as these things usually do (sleeping things, that is), and then it morphed into something else.

From lavender, it went a bit herby. Kind of deep green but not pungent. Soothing. And from there (about 15-20 minutes later), it was deep green spice with a teeny hint of lavender and a teeny hint of something vaguely citrus. Smelled absolutely wonderful.

I put some on my wrists, temples, under my nose, and on my upper arm (I sleep with my arm draped across my face). I slept quite soundly, only waking once. 8 hours and feeling very well-rested. There is still a hint of soothing spice on my wrists nearly 10 hours later.

Definitely a keeper and definitely need to upgrade from an imp to a 5ml.

Now I want to try all the other Somnium blends!

I'm not sure I got the same batch as everyone else, because I found Temple of Dreams heavy with incense with lavender backnotes. I love lavender, and I just bought Sonium before I tested this one out. WHAT a difference.

the main thing was that is was nauseatingly strong, and my mother couldn't even be in the same room with me wearing the scent. it's actually a lot like my chaos theory II: CCXX that I bought too. so it's true to the name, where you feel like you're in a Greek temple and priestesses are lighting incense, in a heavy soporific way.

I'll be sticking to lighter scents though.

Ive tried a few Dream Formulas (Somnus, Nanshe) and I found the lavender and other components to be too sharp. This is just right for me - it smells like fresh lavender and is very gentle. zzzzzzzzzz.

On my skin, this is Somnus with herbs. It's primarily lavender with something like basil or rosemary. It doesn't make me drift off as well as Somnus does, and oddly I also didn't dream (or the more likely: didn't remember my dreams) on the nights I wore Temple of Dreams.

Think I'll stick with Somnus, as I sleep like a rock with it, and also dream every night. You might want to try this if Somnus is too sharp at first for you. This lavender isn't as sharp, however the basil/rosemary/whatever herbal stuff it is was pretty strong.

Sharp and herbal. Basil or perhaps rosemary, over the steadying scent of lavender. Disappears completely sometime during the night. Has not had any effect on dreams, but I do fall asleep a bit faster and sleep very soundly.

Interesting! Definitely has the scent of an aromatherapy oil or ritual oil rather than a perfume. Lavender is the strongest note, but there are other things in here as well. I'm getting something sharp and herbal -- mugwort, maybe? That would certain make sense for an oil intended for dreamwork... And maybe a bit of rosemary. Plus there's a hint of some other kind of floral, maybe jasmine?

The overall effect is sharp and a bit bittersweet, and definitely a good go-to-bed oil. I didn't notice any difference in my dreams while wearing it, but I think I did fall asleep more easily. Maybe repeated applications will have more effect...

Grade: B

I received this as a frimp from the wonderful Bpal peoples...

I will be honest - this scent made me feel rather ill...

I am one of the few people on this planet who does not like the scent of lavender in the slightest, and it actually makes me feel queesy :P

When I first opened the imp - all I could smell was lavender, with a SLIGHT touch of rosemary - probably other herbs too, but I'm not the best at identifying notes yet...

It was VERY VERY herbal, and right away, I felt like I was going to be sick.

But, I must be fair...you cannot judge a scent by the bottle...So - I dabbed it on my skin and took a sniff.

Not much better.

But there's a slight citrus undertone to this....lemon? Not quite sure, but it's there.

After about an hour, my stomach was in knots, my head was pounding, and I really thought I was going to be sick. The lavender was stronger than ever, and the lemon smelled just like lemon cleaner...the combo was migraine worthy.

I thought that I'd be able to at least sleep with this on and see if it did aide my dreams, but sadly I couldn't handle the scent enough to do that...I scrubbed it off as soon as I could. :D

Sorry Bpal Lab..

This one just isn't for me :D

In the bottle, this is a bright herb/lavender scent. On me, it turns to lovely warm spicy basil and clove, with the lavender and what might be a creamy lemon in the background giving it depth. This does nothing for my sleep or dreams, unlike some of the other Somniums, but it's a beautiful scent, so it's going in my normal perfume box.

Bottle: sharp and medicinal, very..eucalyptus? basil? it's so sharp I'm having a hard time really getting it.

Wet: basil, perhaps, and rosemary, clean and fresh

Dry: add a strengthening lavender to that mix...very calming, now

Later: wow, it totally disappeared within an hour. amazing, that's the fastest fade I've experienced yet. of course, I suppose if I'm planning on using it for dream work longevity just isn't an issue, eh?

Scent-wise this is pure lavender. Very pretty and soft. I've worn this a couple of nights in a row and I've been sleeping just fabulously. :P I'm not sure if it's because I've changed my schedule lately and have been exercising more, but I've definitely been getting some high quality sleep. In fact, I've had some awesome (and naughty!) dreams just lately so the Sandman has been smiling on me. I like this a lot, and will probably buy a 5ml bottle to keep by the bed.

Bottle: Laaaaaaaaaaaaavender X_x And a sharp herb. Not sure what though. Makes me feel lightheaded.

Wet: EEUUUUUUUGH. X_x oh gods. I hate Lavender scents. No no no. I can't wait for this one to dry. It has to come off.

Another for the swap pile. Definately not for me.

I've used this all week with the exception of last night, and I found I actually kind of craved the scent for sleep.

Temple of Dreams is very strange smelling, but saying that, I like it a lot. It seems to have a sharp herbal component that I haven't been able to place.

I think I need to get a bottle of this, because I don't know how much longer my imp will last.

So, bottom line: ToD is weird, but nice, and great for sleep!

I ordered this as an imp - and used it last night. I think it worked to help me sleep, but given that I feel crappy, I could have just slept well anyways. I'll have to try this again when A) I can breathe and :P when I don't feel crappy. Although if I could smell this when I was stuffed up, it must be strong.

Temple of Dreams - I used Temple of Dreams last night for the first time. It's supposed to help It had a really nice lavender scent with a hint of spice (nutmeg?) However, I had one of the most terrible dreams I've ever had in my life last night. It was just awful and full of anguish, and well, needless to say that as nice as Temple of Dreams smells, and as much as it may be used by some to deal with nightmares, I won't be using it again if last night's dream is any remote example of the kind of dreams it invokes.

In imp: Lavender

Wet: lavender, with a sultry undertone.

Drydown: missed it.

Top notes: Sultry lavender.

Middle notes: Spicy lavender.

Base notes: Spicy lavender.

Throw: medium

Rating: 4.5 out of 5. Out of all the dream blends, this is the only one I'd wear as a perfume.

Effect on sleep: I slept more soundly than usual :P ; I don't remember if I dreamed. I mean, of course I dreamed, I just didn't wake up in the middle of one so I can't remember it.

Temple of Dreams is a haunting, beautiful fragrance - a spiritual fragrance, if that's possible.

Wet, it's almost pure lavender, and it has very little throw; I have to slather. But once it hits my skin it undergoes a metamorphasis, shifting by degrees from sharp lavender and spices to the softest, loveliest spicy incensey floral whisper. It changes more on my skin than any other BPAL I've tried. It's like sucking on a jawbreaker and tasting each layer as it gets smaller. :P

Dry, it's what I imagine temple incense smelled like in some ancient Meditteranean country. I can hardly tear my nose away from my wrist at this stage. lol!

I wear this as perfume. It doesn't make me sleepy, but still makes me feel dreamy.

10 ml for SURE.

I was in bed with a menstrual headache when my mail came with three different orders and swap packages. Of all the oils that arrived (including three somniums) this was the only one that appealed to my nose at that moment. At first it just smelled like strong, herbal lavender. Then it became more floral and airy. As I lay resting, I got a smell that reminded me of Hand of Hermes (lavender and cinnamon?) It was gorgeous in all its phases, and soothing as well. I've reapplied before bedtime and will edit this if I have anything interesting to report from dreamland.

My favorite of the Somnium blends, both for the scent and for its effectiveness. My husband may swear by his little bottle of Somnus, but Temple of Dreams is the right one for me :P

At first Temple of Dreams reminds me of Vick Vaporub - pungent menthol?-eucalyptus with maybe a little thyme. It does not strike me as particularly lavender.

As it dries, the smell of extinguished candle comes out. How fitting.This is probably not meant as a perfume, but it is very relaxing.

I seriously could see using it on my feet because of the minty herbalisciousness. But then if my foot fell asleep would it dream?

I really wanted to like this. All I smelled was lavender. The entire time. And straight lavender gets a weird baby diaper smell on me. If only some other scent balanced it off...

Lavender with a herb smell, and perhaps even Verbana? It's effective anyway. My dreams always have a weird quality about them, but I seem to remember them better, and I have more lucid dreams. Good stuff.

In the Imp: It's like sticking my nose into a giant rosemary bush that might have some lavender in bloom nearby.

Initial Wet: Yup, definitely that sharp, almost-mint-like smell of rosemary plus a whole lot of lavender. I have to say that for several minutes it's like the rosemary and lavender are competing to see which can be the most prominent. Then slowly I get another scent coming up from below, lemongrass.

Initial Dry: It's much softer now and not so herbally sharp. There's a mellowness in the scent that makes me want to say there's some vanilla in here as well. There's also a bit of spiciness in there, but I'm not sure what it is. I wouldn't say it's the usual spice suspects of cinnamon or clove, it's not quite so fiery. Maybe nutmeg or even carnation? Or a resin I'm not familiar with.

Drier Dry: It faded very quickly (which is probably fine if I put it on before I go to sleep). Now it's just a faint floral with a little bit of soft spice. I thought maybe the spiciness might be amber, but it doesn't go sour on me the way amber does.

I'll update later if I have any weirder than normal dreams.

Temple of Dreams

In the vial, soft floral and herbaly lavender.

On my skin, not at all medicinal or sharp. It's a very lovely and relaxing scent.

I've gotten into the habit of dabbing my eye mask, near the nose part, so I can drift off to sleep.

This is my favorite so far out of the sleep blends I've tried.

Temple of Dreams is beautiful.

First impression: sharp, herbally, extremely lavender. Once it is on me, it softens up and becomes somewhat floral, but still very herbal, I wish it would last longer. I find that after I wake up, it is still lingering, but barely.

I need to buy more. This is definitely a keeper. :P