Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

Temple of Dreams

Temple of Dreams

For use when working with the many Gods of Sleep, Dreams, and Nightmares.

Review of the fragrance itself. Will update when/if I try it as a dream oil.

Preconceived notions: Herbal, lemony, citrus, lavender, clove, rosemary, spice, something deep and resiny. Good for work with dreams - it sounds like people have had success with it.

In the vial: Mostly lavender, but something sharp, white, and glittering, yet hazy and soft - white musk? Also something minty, maybe eucalyptus (or rosemary as noted above, though I find eucalyptus to be more cool and minty than rosemary, and this is definitely both).

On me:

Intoxicating. Maybe there’s some mugwort in this - I recognize the way it works. And there’s still some mint or eucalyptus in it. It’s mostly lavender, and definitely dreamy. I can easily see using this for dream work.

In 15 minutes:

Mint, but a lavender/herbal mint, not a sweet mint. Somewhat spicy (maybe it is rosemary after all). Not bad.

In 55 minutes:

About the same, and beginning to fade.

Overall:

I really like this and I can’t wait to try it out for dream work. I can’t see wearing this as a day fragrance, though. It’s too intoxicating, and I’d likely run my car off the road in a dazed dreaminess, or daydreaming instead of getting my work done.

Bottle (Imp): Ouch! That's really sharp to my nose. Not that it's a sharp scent, it's just that it hits my nose as sharp.

Just On: Green vegetables still in the earth. Wait.. carrots. Just pulled out of the ground, still have dirt clinging to them, fresh, as if you're sniffing them right where the greens are attached to the carrot. That's the closest I can think of, and it is dead on to my nose. That actually makes a bit of sense to me, as carrots are good for the vision, and this could make me have dreams, and see them more clearly.

An hour or two later: The carrots, and something else as well, that I can't identify.

Around 6 hours: It's more greeny now, and not smelling so much of carrots.

12 hours: This one left with a bang, one minute it was there, the next, it was just *gone*.

Overall: I wondered if I was going to like this, but of course, I know I have to try it on, no matter what. It turned out much better on than it was in the imp. I smelled like I had just pulled a bunch of carrots out of the ground.

After reading other reviews: I think it's the rosemary or basil that gives me the carrot smell.

My first impression:

Lavender and herbal something. Maybe its Rosemary,

True to its nature it DEFINITELY has an effect on Dream Work.

I wouldnt wear this all the time because of the dream nature but it IS definitely a keeper. :P

Lavender and Rosemary

Used as a dream oil.

Used it with Somnus and singly.

Verdict: It's good stuff, its not something I'd use every night but having a bottle handy on occasion would be good.

Thanks to the lovely meepzorp on LJ, I was able to get a decant of Temple of Dreams.

I have now converted to being a lavender lover.

In vial: very pretty!

On skin: lavender toned down with something that makes this a softer, milder blend than Oneiroi (which is the only other Somnium blend I've tried so far).

So, how was ze sleep?

The same thing happened as when I tried Oneiroi:

First night, no problem, growing to love the smell of lavender.

Second night ... nightmare like whoa!!

The difference is that this time, I woke up from the nightmare for a millisecond, thought, "Calm down, you're dreaming," and went straight back to sleep. Melded easily into another dream as if there were no interruption. The subsequent dream was a somewhat peaceful one. Resolution, if you will.

Combining my experiences with ToD and Oneiroi, that racks up my nightmare count to 2 within the span of a week or so.

I'm not too disturbed by this, just very curious; I'm sure Freud would have a field day.

I'm going to have to try the other Somnium blends! (And, if all else fails, there is always chloroform :P )

Mmm, my favorite of the somnium blend as far as scent goes. It is herbal green and lavender. The green herbal does remind me of rosemary as others have stated. I also get a resinous note from it, maybe myrrh?

Scent apart, it works. This one, Oneroi, and Somnus are the three blends I have tried so far, all of them put me to sleep. And this one has the added benefit of causing some interesting dreams. :P

Gimp from the lab, THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I kept meaning to get another Somnium blend after trying Somnus - but of course, I was always seduced by new smellies and put it off. I am so glad this was a little gift in my 13 order.

Wet - very herbal, very lavendar. Fresh, though, not the masculine cologne lavendar smell. When it dries, I get very gentle incense of some sort. Vey subtle, comforting, and warm.

I first used this a few nights ago. We just moved, and I was tossing and turing a lot. Also, I was waking at 6 am because the sun is so freaking bright. Restless light plus early waking, not a very happy me.

I swiped this on, and started playing with some of those chimey meditation balls (hehe, found those when I unpacked - they'd been boxed for years!). In about 15 min, I could barely keep my eyes open. I had the most vivid dreams, yet woke completly refreshed.

I've used it a few more nights since then, and always have crazy dreams, and always sleep deeply and well. I'm thrilled. I much prefer this to Somnus. I'll use my imp, and likely a bottle will be on the way.

I splashed a bit of this on this morning after being up for 36 hours straight. Temple of Dreams is all astringent lavender, crushed herbs, and there's something vaguely spicy to it, too... maybe cardamom or anise? But the spice is extremely faint in the background.

That being said, it works.

This was the very first scent I ever tried. I had been having trouble sleeping, and Emu Nymph gave me a couple imps of the Somnium oils to help me sleep.

I love it and bought a 5ml recently :P I actually wear it everyday to work. It keeps me calm and relaxed all day.

In the bottle: Sharp lavender and rosemary. Not very pleasant (to be honest) but all scents smell different in the bottle!

Wet: Heavy lavender smell with a touch of rosemary and lemon. Very herby and strong.

Dry down: Mmmm, smells like a herb garden. The lavender and rosemary fade to a delicous blend of yummy-ness with a light touch of citrus.

When I wear it to bed I generally have very good dreams. My husband likes it as well. He says it comforts him to have me wearing it.

Oh poo. I've been trying every sominum imp i can get my paws on. This is the only one that hasn't really worked for me.

Its very sharp in the imp and I can't figure out what it smells like. I put it on, then I figure it out.....

Tiger Balm.

Which reminds me of falling asleep in PAIN as I only use Tiger Balm when I really have to because I don't like the smell.

I've tried Somnus and Oneiroi and been sleepy almost instantly. This one is making me a little ill to my stomach.

Its going in my swap pile......which makes me a little sad. :P

In bottle: Very sharp, VERY herbal. Lavender, naturally, but many other herbs too. I'm pretty sure there's rosemary in this; perhaps lemongrass as well?

On me: This is a strong herbal; color-wise it is not so much green as a sage mingled with brown. It doesn't effect me quite as strongly as Nanshe, so I will pass it on to benefit someone else.

Imma tell ya straight up, this is going to be a sucky review. :P

I have the worst freaking time telling notes it ain't funny, so I can't give anything more than a general "feel" for this one. Plus, I've only applied it twice before sleeping. Oddly enough, it's completely gone by the morning, completely without a trace. Usually there will be some "stinky base oil residue" left over from scents (unless they're one of the miracle 15 that doesn't do that on my skin), but not this one, not in the morning. It's almost as if it gets "used up" during sleep...it's also not on the covers or blankets either. Just...gone. :D

So inititally it's kind of a sharpish wood, I honestly didn't think I could wear it to sleep. Thought maybe it would be too distracting. However it sort of "settles" in my nose after a few minutes and I crave its scent more and more. Definitely has a "sleepytime" feel to it and I couldn't bring myself to wear it oot n' aboot even if I wanted to. Although, I would like to get a bottle of this and turn some of it into a sheet spray or burn it or something.

As for dreams, I originally thought there was something different going on while wearing this blend..but it turns out there really wasn't anything different going on. :D My dreams are just as beautiful, complicated, and "real" as when I don't wear temple of dreams to bed - and certainly not more meaningful with as opposed to without.

Edited by Sara

Lavender punch which drops off quickly--a quick turn to something oddly familiar that I can't get a handle on. The spice section of carnation, perhaps. Clove or cardamom, maybe? I like it: I think it's very pretty, and very me (although not for common wearing, obviously).

I was too excited to sleep at first, because I was more interested in picking up notes, but I did drift off once I stopped sniffing my hand. I woke up this morning thinking I didn't dream, but now I remember that I did. It wasn't a particularly positive one from what I remember, but it's not like I had a nightmare, either.

I couldn't smell it at all come morning. I do feel refreshed this morning, but I also got an extra hour or so's sleep than I have been the past few nights.

Lavender wallop from the beginning. I don't know if there is anything else I'm smelling since the lavender is so strong its almost briney.

But once I applied it, after maybe 10 seconds, the lavender disappears and something spicy. I'm guessing either clove, cardamom or cinnamon since it reminds me to chai tea. It's very soothing and comforting.

I was expecting something like Oneiroi since they both had lavender and got completely different scents. Very thrilled. :P

Again, no actual dreams that I can remember. Maybe next time.

This is cool, woody and herbal smelling and definately has lavender in it. It is very clean smelling which all of the Dream Formulas are on me. After a few minutes an almost smokey note develops. I've worn this a few times but can't really notice any difference in my dreams or sleeping patterns yet. I'm going to keep trying all of the Dream Formulas and see which ones work best for me.

So far, all of the Somnium blends definitely have lavender as a component, but each of them has a different blend of oils that the lavender 'rests' upon. In this case, it starts off as a bright, herby lavender with rosemary as was mentioned before, but this goes right into a pure sweet bay (pimenta racemosa?) with a hint of the past florals overhead. It's very appropriate, as sweet bay is often associated with dreams and dreamwork. It actually smells amazingly magical to me at least, and I actually slept a little later than usual because I kept sniffing at my arms :P

In the bottle: Sharp, the lavendar comes out right away, and a bit piney, but with something else coming out. Lemon, maybe? It's both invigorating and calming.

On my skin- Still a bit piney, though I think my nose is confusing that slightly with the lavendar, but also a little bit spicy. Something in there reminds me of licorice. A sweetness is coming out, but it's still sharp, and getting a bit smokey, as if incense is wafting through. Even with the sharp sort of edge, though, it remains calming. It sort of reminds me of a smokier hemlock.

After it dries and tones down, it reminds me of what happens when I mix Hemlock and Velvet, mmmm! I like it muchly. Though, for me, it definitely seems to be more pine than lavendar, for whatever reason.

As I was falling to sleep wearing this one, I did keep moving my wrists closer to my nose!

This one's definitely a keeper!

Lots of lavender with maybe some other herbal notes...eucalyptus? Something a little creamy once dry...

I am one of those freaky gals that lavender stimulates instead of relaxes. I cannot sleep with a sharp, herbal fragrance in my nose. Cannot do it.

Temple of Dreams

In the imp: lavender, and something herbal…rosemary? Thyme? I’m also wondering if it’s basil? Now that’s a nice note I haven’t encountered much in BPAL.

Wet on skin: this is lovely, a very soothing herbal lavender scent, it’s also very warm in scent-I’m wondering if there’s a wood or resin note there.

Dry: oh yes, this is very herbal indeed. Thyme and lavender are most prominent, I think there’s sage as well, maybe rosemary? I’m sure there’s basil here too, which always makes me think of Italian food. It’s like a real culinary herb scent like my mum’s herb patch in summer. I’m reminded of my cat who loved to lie in the lavender and herbs on hot sunny days, when she wanted to be all lazy and sleepy. This blend makes me feel warm and lazy and sleepy like a cat about to have a nap…

After a while: suddenly this feels less like cooking herbs and lazy lavender, and more like sacred herbs and incense. There’s definitely rosemary, sage and/or thyme here, I’m sure, but I’m also thinking there may be some woody notes, maybe cedar? Maybe my nose is out of whack but I’m also sure now that there’s light frankincense here. It now has that warm, bright, resinous quality to it-it’s not the heavy, incense type, but it’s very appropriate for a ‘temple’ scent. There is also something sweet to this-maybe a floral note like carnation, or amber? Maybe there’s also a spice note in here-possibly nutmeg or maybe even the lovely cardamom. Or maybe clove, which could be carnation also? I really like this stage in the scent-funnily enough, as opposed to making me feel downright sleepy, I feel oddly focused and clear-minded? Is that a good thing to feel before sleep? I still feel tired though-and that’s a good thing! I will see what happens as I go beddy-byes now. *yawn*

The morning after…damn, I had freaky dreams last night. The first one was rather sad, it was about my cat who passed away recently and I dreamt that she was alive again (I dreamt about her lazing about in the garden amongst the lavender, funnily enough) but when I woke up, I felt tearful because it was just a dream. The second dream was scarier-I dreamt the boys in my flat had broken into my room, vandalised it, and used it to sleep with the girls from the flat next door…*shudder*

Verdict: scent wise, I really enjoyed this. I loved the scent of lavender (and this was very soporific lavender, made me feel all zzzzzzz…) and a warm bouquet of herbs like a herb garden on a warm sunny day. Then it changed and some even nicer fragrances came though-spices, possibly a floral note or two, I even got something resinous. All in all, a lovely scent to sleep with, and it seemed to clear my head of the worries I normally get at bedtime. But it gave me some freaky dreams-not least the one about those horrible boys in my flat! Although I really liked the one about my cat, even though it made me feel tearful. I will definitely give this another try though-it really does the job!

In the bottle: lavender and eucalyptus.

Applied: Still lavender and eucalyptus, and it’s pretty nice. It’s relaxing—too bad it doesn’t have a stronger throw. It disappears pretty quickly—so quickly that it doesn’t last during the time it takes me to fall asleep. A very pretty lavender blend, and it’s a good one to try. I imagine it would make a great linen spray. It only loses points for being really short-lived.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 3.

A very herbal blend. It's stimulating to me, too, as opposed to soporific. The smell isn't unpleasant, but it's definitely a perfume with a purpose other than pure aesthetics. I smell lavender, rosemary, possibly sage and mint and many others. My guy and I joked that I smelled like a really good rack of lamb. It's partially true, the herbs in it do remind me of Herbs du Provence.

But as odd as it smells, this is the only Somnium blend so far that has really worked on me. Whenever I wear this to bed, I get a whole bunch of vivid dreams during the night. No nightmares yet, though a few of the dreams have been stressful or sad. But they aren't the kind that leave you feeling miserable when you wake up. I wake up in the morning feeling like I've worked through my stress and emotions of yesterday and can face a new day reset. I do sorta wish it smelled a little less like a bouquet de garni so I'd feel more justified buying a bottle of it. But it's definitely given me good experiences. I recommend it.

A very sharp lavender scent with an herbal/citrus twist. It's a sharper lavender than in Somnus, more herbal and raw. The citrus note smells more like orange peel to me than lemon, but it's a bit delicate compared to the strength of the lavender. I can't put my finger on the herbal note, something along the lines of bay leaf perhaps? Overall, a bit too sharp for me. I need my lavendar spoon fed to me behind a mask of florals. I'll find my imp a more appreciative home.

From the imp, I first get a very harsh herbal/lemon scent. The lemon is brought out a bit more as I apply it, but after drydown the scent starts to soften. It becomes a bit more floral, a lot less harsh. Within an hour, it's completely faded. I wasn't too crazy about it, but I reapplied before going to bed to see if anything would happen, and nothing did. I didn't notice any difference in my sleep, and I still don't recollect any dreams. Overall, not a favorite.

I really like Temple of Dreams. Not for wearing--I run the imp wand lightly over my pillowcase at bedtime.

Temple of Dreams has a rounded lavender aroma that I find soothing. It's not overpowering. I tried a single drop of straight Bulgarian Lavender essential oil on the front of my nightgown and it pretty much stopped my breathing. Had to throw the nightgown out of the room. :P Now I've got a bottle of Temple of Dreams on order.